Meat effect on fasting blood sugar

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed that if I eat more meat at dinner than usual that my fasting blood sugar the next morning is higher.

My fasting blood sugar has been reading 79 (4.4) to 84 (4.7) over the past several weeks. I was so happy to consistently see blood sugar in a very healthy range each morning. The past two evenings I ate about 9 oz of chicken one night and 9-10 oz beef the next night (about double what I would typically eat). The following morning my blood sugar was higher than it has recently been - 91 (5.1) and 93 (5.2) even though I also ate less carbs both days (especially at dinner) than typically (about 65 grams / day vs typically 100 -140 grams).

I realize meters aren’t always accurate but there seems to be a directional correlation here since I noticed a similar effect a month ago.

I also tested the past four nights at two hours after dinner and was 95 (5.3) to 97 (5.4) both after eating more meat and less meat. The nights with less meat I ate more carbs (a side of hummus) without much different effect directly after the meal. The difference shows up the next morning (higher after eating more meat rather than more carbs!) When I eat a larger amount of meat for dinner the blood sugar barely drops by morning otherwise it goes down nicely overnight. Fish (salmon, sardines, herring) doesn’t seem to have quite the same effect. Maybe it is the fat in the meat rather than the protein?

Is this a typical reaction? (I think I have seen a couple comments in the forum related to higher fasting BG after eating more meat than usual.)

I thought less carbs would equal lower fasting BG, but it seems that only works up to a point.

I would appreciate input from those more experienced with low carb eating.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am not absolutely convinced that protein taken in the evening can have an affect, what?, 12 hours later.

If you are thinking gluconeogenesis then gng is demand driven not supply driven.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not absolutely convinced that protein taken in the evening can have an affect, what?, 12 hours later.

If you are thinking gluconeogenesis then gng is demand driven not supply driven.

It was about nine hours 9pm to 6am. My stomach still felt a bit “heavy” in the morning. There are three key variables versus other days - protein, saturated fat, and lower carbs. I was thinking gluconeogenesis from the (excess) protein or temporary increase in insulin resistance from the saturated fat. I have also noticed (strangely) that after days I eat 60 to 80 carbs my next morning blood sugar seems to be a bit higher than when I eat over 100 but less than about 150. Usually not a big difference but there seems to be a trend.

If gng is demand driven what happens with consumption of “excess” protein? What then is the pathway for excess protein that is consumed to be utilized? (and stored as fat?)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Define excess protein. Also not a fan of sat fat = IR.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Define excess protein. Also not a fan of sat fat = IR.

Excess protein would be protein not needed for maintenance or growth of muscle (muscle protein synthesis) and other bodily uses that are not ultimately for use as energy.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I meant the quantities. As you know there are those who follow a fully carnivore diet and as far as I know they do not suffer an excess of protein or galloping gng.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You can google how insulinogenic foods are, beef has a reasonable demand which will effect levels to varying degrees per person. I think lamb for example has the least impact due to its high fat content.

Some excess protein will be stored, but most of the rest of the excess will be excreted. Cold water fish has a good amount of fat, so you won't see the same effect compared to beef. Especially if eating lean cuts of steak. This is not a reason to not eat beef, the benefits of it far outweigh not eating it. Being it's a night time meal, you could experiment with different amounts if it concerns you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold water fish has a good amount of fat, so you won't see the same effect compared to beef.
In terms of ratios I think you'll find that beef has more fat than fish.
E.g. rib eye steak has 21g per 100g
salmon has 4.2g per 100g

M

Member496333

This whole "GNG is demand-driven" business is all very well & good if one ignores hepatic insulin resistance and 'runaway liver'. Protein in "excess" can (but not necessarily will) give the liver the tools it needs to raise fasting glucose in those who are extremely insulin resistant. In the past, I've seen it in myself with absolute cast-iron predictability and repeatability. It's also a documented phenomenon. I'm unsure why some folk continue to argue against it just because it doesn't affect them personally, but I guess we're all entitled to an opinion :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I argue against it being a problem of less than 1.0mmol in this case.

If people are scared of fat esp sat fat and are scared of carbs and then scared of excess protein what might they ask themselves? What the blummin' eck Can I Eat?

Sarcopaenia may not worry some but it worries me more than a very small rise in bg does. :D

M

Member496333

I argue against it being a problem of less than 1.0mmol in this case.

If people are scared of fat esp sat fat and are scared of carbs and then scared of excess protein what might they ask themselves? What the blummin' eck Can I Eat?

Sarcopaenia may not worry some but it worries me more than a very small rise in bg does. :D

Fair enough. And I totally agree that being afraid of fat and protein is unwarranted. I'm only pointing out that "excess" protein can and does impact fasting blood sugars in some individuals - for a variety of reasons - some of which are well understood and some probably less so.

In the end, unused amino acids must either be excreted, or first reconstructed into glucose before lipogenesis can convert them into fat, and therein lies the rub (the glucose part). I will also make myself clear by stating that insufficient protein is not a good thing either, but the "correct" amount can be quite a fine line for those with severe insulin resistance.

Reactions: Pasha

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fair enough. And I totally agree that being afraid of fat and protein is unwarranted. I'm only pointing out that "excess" protein can and does impact fasting blood sugars in some individuals - for a variety of reasons - some of which are well understood and some probably less so.

In the end, unused amino acids must either be excreted, or first reconstructed into glucose before lipogenesis can convert them into fat, and therein lies the rub (the glucose part). I will also make myself clear by stating that insufficient protein is not a good thing either, but the "correct" amount can be quite a fine line for those with severe insulin resistance.
Which is exactly why I asked upthread for the definition of excess.
You will be aware that as we age esp after 50 the efficiency of protein metabolisation diminishes therefore we may need more not less.

If the OPs goal is ketosis then it must be remembered that this cannot happen without gng.
I would pose the question that someone with IR Diabetes who sees regular FBGs in the 4s having severe IR. It took me the best part of a year of LCHF to get readings in the 4s on a regular basis and I am convinced this was not due to protein intake but may have been due to the inability to excercise to any meaningful degree.

(Have you seen the Banting Lecture by Schultz? Highly recommend on this subject).

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What time are you eating your last meal.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
When I eat more protein, my fbg always goes up. I think some of us are more prone to gng than others, so it kicks in when there is any "excess".
I am not saying this is the same for everyone, but I have a history of this happening to me over many years. I think 60g/day of protein for me is enough.
The way metformin works, and works so well for many people, is that it limits gng.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Which is exactly why I asked upthread for the definition of excess.
You will be aware that as we age esp after 50 the efficiency of protein metabolisation diminishes therefore we may need more not less.

If the OPs goal is ketosis then it must be remembered that this cannot happen without gng.
I would pose the question that someone with IR Diabetes who sees regular FBGs in the 4s having severe IR. It took me the best part of a year of LCHF to get readings in the 4s on a regular basis and I am convinced this was not due to protein intake but may have been due to the inability to excercise to any meaningful degree.

(Have you seen the Banting Lecture by Schultz? Highly recommend on this subject).

Excessive protein was about 9 oz of beef (76 gr protein) after eating about 8 oz of chicken (70 gr protein) for lunch. Breakfast that day was eggs. Finished dinner about 8:45pm. Lunch and dinner were eaten with a big salad and some Greek yogurt with berries. Carbs come from veggies, berries, yogurt and nuts so the day was only 62 net carbs plus about 47 grams of fiber.

I would usually eat more like 4 oz of fish or meat. I basically substituted extra meat for carbs. I usually eat a little more than double the carbs and much less meat.

What surprised me was that each time I eat extra meat in place of carbs I see higher morning blood sugar. (Not dramatic +0.5 to +0.8 mmol, within the margin of error of meters but nevertheless there seems to be a clear pattern).

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What time are you eating your last meal.

Dinner (last meal) was bit late ending at 8:45 pm. The later dinner does’t seem to effect the morning blood sugar when I eat less meat.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read that the body can only use about 30 grams (max 40 grams) of protein per meal for muscle building/maintenance. The rest would then be “excess” that would be used for energy or excreted.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Dinner (last meal) was bit late ending at 8:45 pm. The later dinner does’t seem to effect the morning blood sugar when I eat less meat.
Meat does take longer to digest I believe. There are hypothesis that eating circa 3 hours before the circadian rhythm naturally kicks in (I think between 21 -22.00) is not optimum.

You seem to be quite experimental, why not try eating the last meat meal around 17.00 and see what happens, followed by the same and a 20 minute walk.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Sapien