To lie or not to lie?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you give the other hospital, the one that helped you with your other pregnancy a call to ask if they have any advice?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@NicoleC1971 and @PenguinMum thanks, I really don't know what to do, they have put me in a labour and delivery room... I saw a midwife who isn't looking after me and didn't know what's going on, I told her and also said I was feeling anxious, I was telling them since I got here (1:40pm) that I hadn't had lunch yet... I am absolutely starving. Anyway they insist I drink loads of water but I'm not thirsty at all, the midwife I saw said she would get drs a.s.a.p due to my high anxiety (being in the same room I almost lost my son in) that was over an HR ago. I have spoken to my husband and I'm seriously considering discharging myself, dh says not to cancel all my appointments which I really feel like doing right now. I am locked in so can't just walk out... it really does sound like a prison at this point, they did however offer me a slice of toast!!! I said I want to go home and eat my dh bought me asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and I have some smoked salmon... I am drooling just thinking of it... doubt this will get my ketones down either... FYI Dr said not ketoacidosis or euglycomic diabetic ketoacidosis (I know I spelt it wrong) as I'm not showing the symptoms for either and look well enough to go home, he also says because I'm on such a low dose of insulin (10 units of Lantus for fasting which I don't have with me) that it's impossible for it to be this and more due to diet. I did say I would add carbs and raise insulin if that's what's best for baby, baby is growing nicely and fluid is no longer elevated... just waiting to see what the plan is as I don't even want to touch this bed which isn't for sleeping in but delivery!!! Also been listening to woman in labour and I'm really not wanting to be here!!!
Hi again. Hope you have discharged yourself or at least been moved out of the delivery suite.
Out of interest are they doing urinary tests for ketones rather than breath/blood? Having high levels of ketones in your pee does not reflect what is happening in your blood as it reflects what's not being used by your body now that you're fat adapted. Sounds as if they don't quite know what or if, anything is wrong but are playing it very safe because of this one 'contraindication'. Anyway if you have to eat a piece of toast that's not the end of the world if it gets you out and back to your own bed (though I can't guarantee you a night's sleep with those other kids and it being too hot to be very pregnant).

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG I really hope your situation improves...btw how many weeks along are you?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again. Hope you have discharged yourself or at least been moved out of the delivery suite.
Out of interest are they doing urinary tests for ketones rather than breath/blood? Having high levels of ketones in your pee does not reflect what is happening in your blood as it reflects what's not being used by your body now that you're fat adapted. Sounds as if they don't quite know what or if, anything is wrong but are playing it very safe because of this one 'contraindication'. Anyway if you have to eat a piece of toast that's not the end of the world if it gets you out and back to your own bed (though I can't guarantee you a night's sleep with those other kids and it being too hot to be very pregnant).
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, they just did another finger prick test, bgl 3.2 ketones 3.3... but then again I haven't eaten since 8am. Kind of like pumping someone full of sugar and getting worried that their bgl is rising!
I am waiting to see the Dr... I did ask to leave but so far they refused, she said just to do these tests, see the Dr and then see where we go from here, I am thinking about that toast but it will mean I will have to raise insulin for next wk and probably be back on the novarapid after I was taken off (for not needing anymore)... still in delivery suit I'm afraid... thanks for the support...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, they just did another finger prick test, bgl 3.2 ketones 3.3... but then again I haven't eaten since 8am. Kind of like pumping someone full of sugar and getting worried that their bgl is rising!
I am waiting to see the Dr... I did ask to leave but so far they refused, she said just to do these tests, see the Dr and then see where we go from here, I am thinking about that toast but it will mean I will have to raise insulin for next wk and probably be back on the novarapid after I was taken off (for not needing anymore)... still in delivery suit I'm afraid... thanks for the support...
Your ketone/bg ratio is admirable and you are in nutritional ketosis but I am sorry you are so hungry. Perhaps you can play some music through earphones to drown out the labour ward accoustics and zone out a bit.... Hugs.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband was able to come, but he was shocked, they told me I could leave but would need to sign a form... never brought it, told me I could eat toast I agreed they never brought it... my husband was shocked at the fact it was like a prison... no way to leave without the midwives permission as we were locked in and only they can open the door. He was very stern with the midwife who immediately found a Dr (after 4 hrs one miraculously became available as soon as he came) and told me I could go home and come back tomorrow. Husband was really upset and doesn't want me to have the baby here (treatment was shocking) he said it was like torture. I am exhausted mentally and emotionally... I managed to get hone and ate but now have a bgl of 11.6... I'm not allowed to take insulin to reduce it. From now on I lie unless I can get to a different hospital. Not going through that again, I nearly had a panic attack in there.
Thanks for all the support guys, it really helped me through this.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is no wonder that you have spiked after such an experience.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Let me get this right. They starved, locked up and threatened a pregnant woman.... No use flogging a dead horse now, just get out, but once baby is born and well I would be writing a very stern letter of complaint to the highest authority I could find.

Look, I can see the concern if they thought you weren't eating enough calories to support mother and baby, but that seems to have morphed into something else altogether.

So glad you are out of there. Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy and try not to stress. (I feel stressed just reading about your treatment so I can't imagine how you are feeling.)

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, came back and am in now, ketones in urine had them scares 3+... ketones in blood 0.8 bgl 10.6... guess this is what they want?! They still want me to get rid of ketones in urine though!!!

I know stress has put me up but my fasting bgl was 4.0! Really tired and feel very vulnerable. But hopefully I will go soon again and then decided what I can do regarding hospital change.