New kid on the block

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now please tell me about that cauliflower rice, that sounds really interesting. Where do you get it?

Cauliflower rice is so easy, buy a cauliflower and grate it, either by hand with a cheese grater or zap it through a food processor. Then stir fry it in olive oil til it starts to change colour :hungry:

Reactions: ~Noodles~

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Welcome, I hope you get answers soon.
I make and freeze cauliflower pizza bases which work well for me. I use a food processor to grate two or three cauliflowers, then microwave the rice for around three or four minutes. Add butter then either cream cheese or thick double cream or both and garlic to taste to make a dough. On baking trays lined with baking paper non stick put the mixtures on to make several 6-8 inch flat circles. Bake 180* for ten minutes, turn over and put back in the oven for a further 10 minutes. allow to cool completes and then either layer between non stick paper or freeze individually and freeze.
When I want pizza I just get a base out, top it with whatever I've got to hand, smother in cheese cook for around 15 - 20 minutes until topping is bubbling and cheese brown and then enjoy. Even my beloved loves these. I tried making and freezing bigger sizes but then tend to crack when turning over. So smaller sizes we have one each and you can both have different toppings.
Also good for when you have the munchies and need something quick and easy.
When you can't get fresh cauliflowers unless you pay £2-3 here in Norfolk at the moment, get frozen cauliflower, microwave until soft then either mash or put it in a food processor.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the vivid report Jo! That Dickens event sure does sound tempting. The phone cases, though… :banghead:
And yes, it's the whole thing that makes up the atmosphere. Well, and the glühwein of course. :wacky:

Luckily there's still a lot for us left to eat but honestly I don't mind cheating a day or two around christmas and thanksgiving. :D

Currently I keep carbs low during the week and eat "normal" during the weekend. I need a bit more insulin then but oh well, I guess somebody oughta use it before it turns bad. :p

It's a bit like my old bodybuilding diet, where I'd spend the week in ketosis and carb-load on the weekends. I don't go to extremes these days but the setup is pretty similar and the results seem to agree with me.

Now please tell me about that cauliflower rice, that sounds really interesting. Where do you get it?

As for the weather, I'm not sure what's happening but I do enjoy the sun. I guess all the long years of using deodorant propellant are finally paying off. ;)
I've gone the cheap route a few times, just getting a head of cauliflower, but it made such a mess of my kitchen -and my poor sore arms- I ended up opting for the ready-made stuff. It's in the same section as the salads, if your supermarket carries it. I know I'm being cheated, as it's just chopped stems (in other words, offal they can't sell otherwise, but charge twice what they would for a whole head), but it just makes my life that much easier. Usually I make whatever meat we're going to have first, take that out of the pan, and toss the rice into the gravy. More often than not I throw in a little curcuma, currypowder, pepper, salt, garlic powder, chopped bacon, and (goat's) cheese. Maybe add some cinnamon and nutmeg, depending on what I feel like having. Or I go for the bacon, cheese, garlic powder and Italian or Provinçe herbs. It's done in no time at all. But you could practically use it for anything. Nutmeg and butter, voila, you've got a basis for mash. And you've already gotten some pizza base ideas. :) I tell you, that stuff is magic.

As for the relatively carby weekends, it depends on what you want to achieve. You can slip in and out of ketosis, but fat-burning/fat-adapted mode takes a while to get into (6-8 weeks of strict keto, thereabouts) and you can't achieve nor sustain it if you go out of ketosis regulary. No idea whether you need to lose weight, -90% of T2's are overweight, 10% are slim/"normal"- but if that is the case, you might want to postpone cheat days for a while, until you're at your target weight. If you are a slim T2, which happens, this might not be a concern for you, of course. But it is something to consider. For a lot of us it's not just using ketosis to get bloodsugars down, in a fat adapted state we lose a good amount of weight as well... And with less fat around the rump, insulin sensitivity improves. (Having said that, when I lost weight, the first things to get slimmer were my arms and legs, haha. Gotta love nature's sense of humour eh.) So that'd be a win all over the place. Something to consider, anyway. :) Still... You do whatever works for you. After all, this is a diet that needs to be sustainable for life, IF you are a T2 and not LADA. Some people on here try it and just become so miserable it's not doable for them. (More often than not because something else is restricting their food choices already, and there's little left in sense of variety due to co-morbidities). Plus, we're all different: you might need something entirely different than a 40-year old woman with an ovaran cyst needs. Hormones have a ridiculous impact... I have to be stupid-strict or regain everything I lost, weight-wise and in my bloodsugars. Your meter'll tell you what's working for you, as your needs could well differ from mine. :)

Most people cheat around Christmas, by the way.... I manage to stay in ketosis, but it does mean having a bigger share of meats and fish than the rest of the family! (And cheeses, and olives, and devilled eggs, and unsweetened whipped cream, and, and, and....). It's worked so far anyway.... I'm so stuffed at the end of the meals I don't want dessert. ;) Well, maybe another double espresso with cream. But hey, that doesn't count. ;) Mind you, I may have a bit of whatever my husband's having: just a small bite, for the taste, not to fill up on. :)

Google Keto Mug Bread. I haven't had bread in 3 years, and after @briped gently pushed me to try making some, (she actually e-mailed back and forth with me while I was making my first tentative attempt) I've done it a few times... I haven't had anything to dip into my egg yolks for a while, and now I do. :) (Just toast it a little when it comes out of the mug and you've sliced it. Wonderful. :) ). I also made some with erythritol, cacao, walnuts and extra dark chocolate drops. Poured over some cream as well. Yum. I think the next time I'll make it I'll do something with cinnamon. Versatile and filling, so yay for almond flour!

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've gone the cheap route a few times, just getting a head of cauliflower, but it made such a mess of my kitchen -and my poor sore arms- I ended up opting for the ready-made stuff. It's in the same section as the salads, if your supermarket carries it. I know I'm being cheated, as it's just chopped stems (in other words, offal they can't sell otherwise, but charge twice what they would for a whole head), but it just makes my life that much easier. Usually I make whatever meat we're going to have first, take that out of the pan, and toss the rice into the gravy. More often than not I throw in a little curcuma, currypowder, pepper, salt, garlic powder, chopped bacon, and (goat's) cheese. Maybe add some cinnamon and nutmeg, depending on what I feel like having. Or I go for the bacon, cheese, garlic powder and Italian or Provinçe herbs. It's done in no time at all. But you could practically use it for anything. Nutmeg and butter, voila, you've got a basis for mash. And you've already gotten some pizza base ideas. :) I tell you, that stuff is magic.

As for the relatively carby weekends, it depends on what you want to achieve. You can slip in and out of ketosis, but fat-burning/fat-adapted mode takes a while to get into (6-8 weeks of strict keto, thereabouts) and you can't achieve nor sustain it if you go out of ketosis regulary. No idea whether you need to lose weight, -90% of T2's are overweight, 10% are slim/"normal"- but if that is the case, you might want to postpone cheat days for a while, until you're at your target weight. If you are a slim T2, which happens, this might not be a concern for you, of course. But it is something to consider. For a lot of us it's not just using ketosis to get bloodsugars down, in a fat adapted state we lose a good amount of weight as well... And with less fat around the rump, insulin sensitivity improves. (Having said that, when I lost weight, the first things to get slimmer were my arms and legs, haha. Gotta love nature's sense of humour eh.) So that'd be a win all over the place. Something to consider, anyway. :) Still... You do whatever works for you. After all, this is a diet that needs to be sustainable for life, IF you are a T2 and not LADA. Some people on here try it and just become so miserable it's not doable for them. (More often than not because something else is restricting their food choices already, and there's little left in sense of variety due to co-morbidities). Plus, we're all different: you might need something entirely different than a 40-year old woman with an ovaran cyst needs. Hormones have a ridiculous impact... I have to be stupid-strict or regain everything I lost, weight-wise and in my bloodsugars. Your meter'll tell you what's working for you, as your needs could well differ from mine. :)

Most people cheat around Christmas, by the way.... I manage to stay in ketosis, but it does mean having a bigger share of meats and fish than the rest of the family! (And cheeses, and olives, and devilled eggs, and unsweetened whipped cream, and, and, and....). It's worked so far anyway.... I'm so stuffed at the end of the meals I don't want dessert. ;) Well, maybe another double espresso with cream. But hey, that doesn't count. ;) Mind you, I may have a bit of whatever my husband's having: just a small bite, for the taste, not to fill up on. :)

Google Keto Mug Bread. I haven't had bread in 3 years, and after @briped gently pushed me to try making some, (she actually e-mailed back and forth with me while I was making my first tentative attempt) I've done it a few times... I haven't had anything to dip into my egg yolks for a while, and now I do. :) (Just toast it a little when it comes out of the mug and you've sliced it. Wonderful. :) ). I also made some with erythritol, cacao, walnuts and extra dark chocolate drops. Poured over some cream as well. Yum. I think the next time I'll make it I'll do something with cinnamon. Versatile and filling, so yay for almond flour!
Thank you so much for the mouthwatering recipe ideas, this is gonna help a lot! :)

As for slipping in and out of keto, it's really easy. Bodybuilders have been doing it for ages this way. After weekends, with the help of a bit of insulin I was already back in ketosis by Tuesday usually. ;)
This way I could easily go e.g. from off-season 140 kg to 115-120 kg, worked like a charm.

Now I'm using it with a different thought behind of course and the insulin factor is moot since I'm already on it. You'd be surprised just how great it works, though. Yes, I do need to lose weight as most T2s. I managed to retain some muscle I built over the years but of course, the bulk has been replaced with fat due to laziness/ignorance and stress.

Now the thing is I was used to eating whatever needed without any regard to taste for years and that worked well. But I was also in an environment that allowed me to do it. I was in the military, so I had ample time for training and eating during duty hours and a relatively stress-free life in general.

Nowadays I'm self-employed and stressed out 24/7, so food is one of the things adding to overall quality of life if you know what I mean. Hence, I can't see myself living on cod liver oil for the rest of my existence just to avoid carbs. :***:

So in essence, the weekly breaks help me not to really feel missing out on anything. By Sunday evening, I'm mostly done with any carb cravings and the following week being restricted is really easy to go through.

So far, I managed to go from 138 kg on July 3rd to 130.6 kg measured about 5 min. ago. Nice and easy without feeling like I'm missing out on anything. :happy: I hope to get down a bit more towards 115-120 kg, that's the weight I usually feel most comfortable with. That may not be the medically ideal weight, but that's the point where I feel agile running up flights of stairs and not like some old bloated whale. I have a relatively large frame and too thin or light just doesn't suit me. Usually people will ask me if I'm sick when I'm anything lower than that. :p

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for the mouthwatering recipe ideas, this is gonna help a lot! :)

As for slipping in and out of keto, it's really easy. Bodybuilders have been doing it for ages this way. After weekends, with the help of a bit of insulin I was already back in ketosis by Tuesday usually. ;)
This way I could easily go e.g. from off-season 140 kg to 115-120 kg, worked like a charm.

Now I'm using it with a different thought behind of course and the insulin factor is moot since I'm already on it. You'd be surprised just how great it works, though. Yes, I do need to lose weight as most T2s. I managed to retain some muscle I built over the years but of course, the bulk has been replaced with fat due to laziness/ignorance and stress.

Now the thing is I was used to eating whatever needed without any regard to taste for years and that worked well. But I was also in an environment that allowed me to do it. I was in the military, so I had ample time for training and eating during duty hours and a relatively stress-free life in general.

Nowadays I'm self-employed and stressed out 24/7, so food is one of the things adding to overall quality of life if you know what I mean. Hence, I can't see myself living on cod liver oil for the rest of my existence just to avoid carbs. :***:

So in essence, the weekly breaks help me not to really feel missing out on anything. By Sunday evening, I'm mostly done with any carb cravings and the following week being restricted is really easy to go through.

So far, I managed to go from 138 kg on July 3rd to 130.6 kg measured about 5 min. ago. Nice and easy without feeling like I'm missing out on anything. :happy: I hope to get down a bit more towards 115-120 kg, that's the weight I usually feel most comfortable with. That may not be the medically ideal weight, but that's the point where I feel agile running up flights of stairs and not like some old bloated whale. I have a relatively large frame and too thin or light just doesn't suit me. Usually people will ask me if I'm sick when I'm anything lower than that. :p
Good job on the weight loss! Though, man, cod liver oil? Ever heard of the joys of bacon? :) I rather enjoy what I eat these days... It's not boring, nor bland. But maybe things have changed a little since you keto-ed last... The internet is full of two things: cat video's and keto recipes. Lately it seems that chaffles are a thing. Google 'em, they look good. And they're quick.:) Have a small kitchen, don't have room for yet another appliance like a mini waffle maker, but... Who knows, it might be up your alley.

Self employed and stressed... Yeah, that's a recipe for high bloodsugars. (Stress makes 'em go up too, and a self-employed person never gets to have a break, they're always "on".) Should you need to take the edge off a little, try a few drops of CBD oil. Do you have Jacob Hooy there? Holland & Barrett carries it, but I don't know if they are around in Germany. I sleep a whole lot better on it (used to be an insomniac), and it did a lot to tackle my panic attacks, so it's a good stress reliever. Helped with the rheumatism too, until keto pretty much solved that. Just an idea.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Poured over some cream as well.
Did you whip that cream, because you know what ...? This stable kitchen genius couldn't whip hers, when she attempted a copy cat keto thing with cocoa yesterday. It remained liquid, and in the end I used it as dip. :arghh:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you whip that cream, because you know what ...? This stable kitchen genius couldn't whip hers, when she attempted a copy cat keto thing with cocoa yesterday. It remained liquid, and in the end I used it as dip. :arghh:
I was too impatient, I just poured it on and let it soak in. ;) So close enough, eh! :)

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankee! Yes, I was only using the cod liver oil as a variable for all the things devoid of carbs. ;)

Bacon is my second name of course. I remain firmly convinced god made bacon trees because he loves me and I feel I'd be ungrateful if I wouldn't eat them by the ton. :D

The internet is full of two things: cat video's and keto recipes.
This one was hilarious. :D So true, though. I'm glad things have changed since my hayday, nowadays we have low-carb / carb-free bread, rice, pasta, you name it. Even those chaffles! Unfortunately, I'm a sweetie and I hope those things don't taste as bland as American pancakes. Oh well, there is low-carb syrup to be had if push comes to shove I guess.

I haven't tried the CBD oil yet. I'd much prefer the original, but that's a little easier for you folks in the Netherlands I reckon. ;) I know we do have CBD in stores, so I might just give it a whirl though. Being self-employed can be really tricky, I'm already on venlafaxine for burnout. It does help, but I wish I wouldn't need it in the first place. :(

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankee! Yes, I was only using the cod liver oil as a variable for all the things devoid of carbs. ;)

Bacon is my second name of course. I remain firmly convinced god made bacon trees because he loves me and I feel I'd be ungrateful if I wouldn't eat them by the ton. :D

This one was hilarious. :D So true, though. I'm glad things have changed since my hayday, nowadays we have low-carb / carb-free bread, rice, pasta, you name it. Even those chaffles! Unfortunately, I'm a sweetie and I hope those things don't taste as bland as American pancakes. Oh well, there is low-carb syrup to be had if push comes to shove I guess.

I haven't tried the CBD oil yet. I'd much prefer the original, but that's a little easier for you folks in the Netherlands I reckon. ;) I know we do have CBD in stores, so I might just give it a whirl though. Being self-employed can be really tricky, I'm already on venlafaxine for burnout. It does help, but I wish I wouldn't need it in the first place. :(

Ah, no wonder you're funny. People in mental **** usually are. ;) (We can't help ourselves). CBD and venlafaxine might not mix well, so if you do end up trying it, be careful, start slow. One drop a day for a week, then two drops etc, until you find your bliss. And uh.... The more "common" usage never did anything for me. My friends'd be high as a kite and I'd be sitting there wondering when I would feel anything. ("You're killing my buzz!" "I've heard of people like you, but I never actually met one!". Yeah.... Okay. Thanks.). So I tried that twice, about 5 years apart, but nope.... So I didn't expect the oil to do anything, and while it doesn't make me high, -no THC, which is why it's a supplement rather than a controlled substance- it does a whole lot of other things I'm rather grateful for. My mom's on it too. :)

Okay, so you have a sweet tooth... Couple of things: Be REALLY careful with artificial sweeteners. I used to put 5 spoons of sugar in my tea/coffee/espresso, and when I turned out to be a T2, I switched to sweeteners. With about 10 tea's with 5 doses of Natrena each and such a day, plus diet coke, that added up... Turns out, artificial sweeteners kill gut bacteria. It took two years to get really bad, and last year things were absolutely awful. I'm still healing, and I don't know if it'll ever be 100% again. Can't even look at the stuff without trouble arising. The good news? There's stevia (plant based), if you don't mind the taste. Does pretty good in full fat greek yoghurt and whipped cream. And while Erythritol (sugar alcohol. Pure carb, but the kind that can't penetrate your gut wall, so it never makes it to your bloodstream) tastes awful in beverages, it's pretty darned effective in omelets and chocolate keto mug bread. Visit this page, and rejoice. :) https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/desserts And check Walden Farms syrup. It's really good, -if you'd told me it was Maple Syrup, I would've believed it, and I live in Canada for a while!- but it gave me migraines. :( It'll perk you up though...! :)

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
A belated welcome. I am in Canada so I am a little behind those of you in Europe. Something to remember and to aim for is that you may not need to stay on insulin. I was put on insulin in February 2018 with ever increasing amounts until last July when I started a low carb diet. An ever decreasing amount of insulin followed until I stopped in December 2018. I have lost nearly 35 lbs in weight and I now only take 2 x 500 mg of Metformin a day. As you will often hear on this forum, we all react differently and there seems to be many different forms of the condition that we suffer from. There may be a cure down the road even though the big drug companies will fight it but we can change our lives so that the condition does not control us, we control it. Set targets for A1cs, weight loss, insulin dependence and drug reduction. See how you react to different foods and cut out the bad ones. And test, test, test again to stay in control. If possible get a constant glucose monitor so that you can see what is happening and come to this forum regularly. It is a great place for information and support with no profit motive except helping each other.

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, no wonder you're funny. People in mental **** usually are. ;) (We can't help ourselves).
I swear I've been like this for as long as I remember. When I was a toddler, I must have fallen right into the big old kettle with the funny potion. I was the ruling class clown and probably scarred my poor teachers for life. :p

CBD and venlafaxine might not mix well, so if you do end up trying it, be careful, start slow. One drop a day for a week, then two drops etc, until you find your bliss. And uh.... The more "common" usage never did anything for me. My friends'd be high as a kite and I'd be sitting there wondering when I would feel anything. ("You're killing my buzz!" "I've heard of people like you, but I never actually met one!". Yeah.... Okay. Thanks.). So I tried that twice, about 5 years apart, but nope.... So I didn't expect the oil to do anything, and while it doesn't make me high, -no THC, which is why it's a supplement rather than a controlled substance- it does a whole lot of other things I'm rather grateful for. My mom's on it too. :)
Splendid, I might just give that oil a try–do you put those drops right on your tongue or do you mix them with something?

Okay, so you have a sweet tooth... Couple of things: Be REALLY careful with artificial sweeteners. I used to put 5 spoons of sugar in my tea/coffee/espresso, and when I turned out to be a T2, I switched to sweeteners. With about 10 tea's with 5 doses of Natrena each and such a day, plus diet coke, that added up... Turns out, artificial sweeteners kill gut bacteria. It took two years to get really bad, and last year things were absolutely awful. I'm still healing, and I don't know if it'll ever be 100% again. Can't even look at the stuff without trouble arising. The good news? There's stevia (plant based), if you don't mind the taste. Does pretty good in full fat greek yoghurt and whipped cream. And while Erythritol (sugar alcohol. Pure carb, but the kind that can't penetrate your gut wall, so it never makes it to your bloodstream) tastes awful in beverages, it's pretty darned effective in omelets and chocolate keto mug bread. Visit this page, and rejoice. :) https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/desserts And check Walden Farms syrup. It's really good, -if you'd told me it was Maple Syrup, I would've believed it, and I live in Canada for a while!- but it gave me migraines. :( It'll perk you up though...! :)
Well that is some good info, thanks again! I do drink a fair bit of diet soda and my plumbing is a bit out of alignment for sure—sometimes I need to run like the wind directly after meals, sometimes not for days and no way to control it other than with loperamide, which I don't care to make a habit. :grumpy:

Unfortunately, the taste of stevia is a deal breaker for me. I tried the stevia coke and oh boy, I couldn't even get the first sip down my throat. :***: I even considered sueing them for cruel and unusual punishment but decided to let them off the hook. Might give that erythritol a shot, though. And I just found Walden Farms syrups on Amazon, so that's gonna be my next order. :) (Gotta trust a part-time Canadian, right? :p)

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A belated welcome. I am in Canada so I am a little behind those of you in Europe. Something to remember and to aim for is that you may not need to stay on insulin. I was put on insulin in February 2018 with ever increasing amounts until last July when I started a low carb diet. An ever decreasing amount of insulin followed until I stopped in December 2018. I have lost nearly 35 lbs in weight and I now only take 2 x 500 mg of Metformin a day. As you will often hear on this forum, we all react differently and there seems to be many different forms of the condition that we suffer from. There may be a cure down the road even though the big drug companies will fight it but we can change our lives so that the condition does not control us, we control it. Set targets for A1cs, weight loss, insulin dependence and drug reduction. See how you react to different foods and cut out the bad ones. And test, test, test again to stay in control. If possible get a constant glucose monitor so that you can see what is happening and come to this forum regularly. It is a great place for information and support with no profit motive except helping each other.
Hey Stephen, thanks for the welcome! :)
Yes, I already noticed some of us T2 made a dash for remission with the right dietary choices and weight loss—I already lost app. 8 kg and I'm aiming for another 10–15. Maybe I can slowly roll back on the juice that way. I did have somewhat of a remission last year but sad to say, it didn't last all too long. Maybe I do get another shot.

I've got those xGM thingies on the radar and unfortunately, my diabetologist isn't the most modern person. I wish he were into those devices. Thing is you need an appropriate statement from your diabetologist here in order to get the HMO to pay for it and it's prohibitively expensive when paying out of pocket.

The Libre 2 would be borderline, they're € 140 / month, but I'd much prefer a Dexcom 6. I know they're like £ 160 / month in the UK but in Germany they milk you for € 940 for the starter kit (3 months; 1 transmitter & 9 sensors) so it clocks in at € 313 / month. No idea why it's so much cheaper in the UK. :arghh:

So what I'm waiting on is a call from my doc to tell me the results of my antibody check. If I end up being a LADA or T1, those things are easier to get, just like the pumps (probably because it's "the fat people's own fault" or some silly reason like that :shifty:).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Splendid, I might just give that oil a try–do you put those drops right on your tongue or do you mix them with something?

Well that is some good info, thanks again! I do drink a fair bit of diet soda and my plumbing is a bit out of alignment for sure—sometimes I need to run like the wind directly after meals, sometimes not for days and no way to control it other than with loperamide, which I don't care to make a habit. :grumpy:

Unfortunately, the taste of stevia is a deal breaker for me. I tried the stevia coke and oh boy, I couldn't even get the first sip down my throat. :***: I even considered sueing them for cruel and unusual punishment but decided to let them off the hook. Might give that erythritol a shot, though. And I just found Walden Farms syrups on Amazon, so that's gonna be my next order. :) (Gotta trust a part-time Canadian, right? :p)
I swear I've been like this for as long as I remember. When I was a toddler, I must have fallen right into the big old kettle with the funny potion. I was the ruling class clown and probably scarred my poor teachers for life. :p

Good morning. :)

The CBD oil drops you put under your tongue, and leave there for about a minute. The taste takes some getting used to though, (I don't mind it much, but my mom however...!), so if you just try a small bottle on for size, and maybe, if it's too bad, look up capsules... They don't work as fast as having the drops under your tongue, but if taste is a consideration... :)

And Stevia, yeah, I don't like it either. The only places where I use some would be in very strong tasting yogurt, or in cream... But I haven't lately. Come to think of it, I still have the same container I bought when I was diagnosed 3 years ago. It just doesn't get used all that much. And Monkfruit is supposed to be good, but isn't available in the EU as of yet. Not that I've found, anyway. Erythritol really is useless in drinks, but if you end up using it in food it's perfectly fine. (And the Erythritol/Stevia mix actually isn't half bad. Except its price. Worth its weight in gold, that stuff.) In any case, if you suspect the diet coke is messing with you, -...and it sounds horribly familliar- you might want to go to the health store and buy a few billion gut bacteria. They come in capsules. Add in some sauerkraut for dinner or lunch for a day or two, and your gut'll thank you. Just don't reintroduce the aspartame and what have you, because you'll be right back where you started. :( I had to get used to drinking tea without sweeteners. Took about a week of finding it disgusting, but after a bit my palette changed. Same would happen to you, if you decide to go that route. (And my coffee I usually have with some sort of cream, even if I'm not supposed to have that... But once a week or so... ;) ). But yeah, if it's desserts you're after, there's enough that would hide the erythritol and stevia tastes out there. Worth a shot. :)

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the great advice! :) I guess it might really be the diet coke messing up the works. I think I know the gut bacteria you're talking about, that's probably the same I use after antobiotic treatments to get everything back in check. Just the other day I had another diarhettic experience that I don't care to elaborate on but certainly could've done without. :confused:

I'll see that I get my hands on some erythritol and stevia for baking goodies as well as some CBD. Do you have any brand, shop or concentration recommendations? I've seen 5 and 10% CBD so far.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the great advice! :) I guess it might really be the diet coke messing up the works. I think I know the gut bacteria you're talking about, that's probably the same I use after antobiotic treatments to get everything back in check. Just the other day I had another diarhettic experience that I don't care to elaborate on but certainly could've done without. :confused:

I'll see that I get my hands on some erythritol and stevia for baking goodies as well as some CBD. Do you have any brand, shop or concentration recommendations? I've seen 5 and 10% CBD so far.
I usually just use 2,75% CBD. I tried the pure paste, but though effective, it gave me migraines. So I'm sticking with the diluted stuff. That said, it takes a lot to knock me out, (hospital strength massive sleeping pills etc don't do anything), and fifteen drops of 2,75% do make my lights go out, so... I guess it's personal preference, and you'll need to experiment a little. Just build up slowly and you'll find your bliss. I always buy Jacob Hooy, as it is the most consistent in quality so far. (Generic brands usually contain less than is mentioned on the packaging, so doesn't work at all). I buy it at Holland & Barrett's, but I don't know if you have that chain in Germany. As for Stevia and Erytritol, I went with the Sukrin blend (again, no idea whether you can get that.... Though amazon.de probably sells it, I think. ). It's insanely expensive, but then, you don't need much: it's pretty sweet. :) Oh, and I just checked Amazon.de: Sukrin is on there, but while they do carry some Jacob Hooy, they don't have the CBD oil. There's other brands on there though. Just don't go for anything generic, and check the reviews. Oh, and CBD is messy. Do NOT get it on your clothes!!!

As for the capsules, it's exactly the same kind you want after a course of antibiotics. I'm hoping there won't be a repeat of your disastrous runs. I feel your pain, believe me.

G'nite,
Jo

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @~Noodles~,

I agree with @JoKalsbeek -- Erythritol is one of the best sugar substitutes out there. I use it in coffee and in baking. This weekend, I'll also try to make some bitter lemon.

In Germany, it's available at Akzenta (part of the Rewe chain), but I've also seen it at Rossmann (at least at the Cologne railway station). The brand is Xucker and it comes in an orange package. It is also available at Amazon.de of course. (Other brands are available at any Reformhaus, but a bit more pricey.) The price is about 10 Euros per kilo, which is much more expensive than regular sugar, but as you don't use very much much of it anyway, I think the price is okay.

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually just use 2,75% CBD. I tried the pure paste, but though effective, it gave me migraines. So I'm sticking with the diluted stuff. That said, it takes a lot to knock me out, (hospital strength massive sleeping pills etc don't do anything), and fifteen drops of 2,75% do make my lights go out, so... I guess it's personal preference, and you'll need to experiment a little. Just build up slowly and you'll find your bliss. I always buy Jacob Hooy, as it is the most consistent in quality so far. (Generic brands usually contain less than is mentioned on the packaging, so doesn't work at all). I buy it at Holland & Barrett's, but I don't know if you have that chain in Germany. As for Stevia and Erytritol, I went with the Sukrin blend (again, no idea whether you can get that.... Though amazon.de probably sells it, I think. ). It's insanely expensive, but then, you don't need much: it's pretty sweet. :) Oh, and I just checked Amazon.de: Sukrin is on there, but while they do carry some Jacob Hooy, they don't have the CBD oil. There's other brands on there though. Just don't go for anything generic, and check the reviews. Oh, and CBD is messy. Do NOT get it on your clothes!!!

As for the capsules, it's exactly the same kind you want after a course of antibiotics. I'm hoping there won't be a repeat of your disastrous runs. I feel your pain, believe me.

G'nite,
Jo
Nice, just checked a few online shops. We don't have Hollands and Barett's over here, but Jacob Hooy is readily available. :) Thanks for the warning, I'll make sure not to get it on my clothes. Maybe that's a good excuse to just gobble down the whole bottle to avoid spills, then again… maybe not. :p

As for the sugar substitutes, Sukrin is available, at € 20 / kg, though. :greedy: Is that stuff hand-plucked by Cuban virgins from bushes that only blossom during solstice in leap years on the top of Mt. Everest? :bag:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The price for a weight can be misleading, as some of the sugar substitutes are really low density and need to be used by volume to get equal sweetening for sucrose substitution.

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @~Noodles~,

I agree with @JoKalsbeek -- Erythritol is one of the best sugar substitutes out there. I use it in coffee and in baking. This weekend, I'll also try to make some bitter lemon.

In Germany, it's available at Akzenta (part of the Rewe chain), but I've also seen it at Rossmann (at least at the Cologne railway station). The brand is Xucker and it comes in an orange package. It is also available at Amazon.de of course. (Other brands are available at any Reformhaus, but a bit more pricey.) The price is about 10 Euros per kilo, which is much more expensive than regular sugar, but as you don't use very much much of it anyway, I think the price is okay.
Hmm, Akzenta seems to be a regional thing, I've never seen or heard about it. BUT yes, it's available on Amazon as well as on their web shop. Yay! :)

€ 10 / kg I can handle, I mean it's not all I eat is cookies and cake. ;)

Reactions: ziggy_w