How to make a good near zero carb coffee?

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
The lowest 3 in 1 coffee product I can find in my country still has 5.1g carb per packet serving. Is there any other product that can beat this or any way to make a lower carb one that taste good?

Reactions: Paulm80
D

Deleted member 308541

Instant coffee is all you need to make zero carb black coffee with no sugary stuff in it.

As for tasting good, I go through a 200 gram bottle of Robert Timms coffee each week.

Reactions: Paulm80

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Instant coffee is all you need to make zero carb black coffee with no sugary stuff in it.

As for tasting good, I go through a 200 gram bottle of Robert Timms coffee each week.

I need to add creamer for it to taste decent to me. Based on my research, the very low carb creamer seems to be made with coconut oil and cost quite a bit.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you able to get unsweetened coconut cream? The brand I get is <1 carb per 2 Tablespoons (30 g) per the label. It’s coconut milk that has bee evaporated/condensed, but is not oil. It gives coffee a lovely milk coconut flavor. I get it in the cooking aisle, not dairy.

Reactions: ChrissiStar

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are you able to get unsweetened coconut cream? The brand I get is <1 carb per 2 Tablespoons (30 g) per the label. It’s coconut milk that has bee evaporated/condensed, but is not oil. It gives coffee a lovely milk coconut flavor. I get it in the cooking aisle, not dairy.

All the supermarkets in my country sell UHT unsweetened coconut cream at rock bottom price.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coffee, I have an espresso machine, plant based milk - unsweetened soy (250ml 2.3g carbs), then sugar free syrup (0 carbs), sometimes I substitute soy milk for vegan cream, finish it off with ice :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll third coffee with real double cream.
My 10 ml (2 teaspoons) measured has 0.27g of carbs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, or a lump of butter stirred in with one of those wizzy thingies... Yum!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I love coffee with real double cream. I don't drink coffee very often, but it is a go-to when I need a comfort drink.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I *heart* black coffee! Once a fornight or so, though, I go for an Espresso Con Panna (unsweetened whipped cream) at Cafe Nero.
I saw some (rather expensive) MCT oil-based powdered creamers online which would be both low carb and pro-ketogenic.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lowest 3 in 1 coffee product I can find in my country still has 5.1g carb per packet serving. Is there any other product that can beat this or any way to make a lower carb one that taste good?

Hi @millenium

Can you explain what you mean by a '3 in 1 coffee product'?

Are you referring to an instant coffee with creamer and sweetener already in the jar?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ground coffee in an AeroPress to make my 2 mugs a day. Then I add a dash of semi-skimmed milk (shock horror!). 30ml of milk is 1.44g of carbs so less than 3g per day out of my total of about 70g. Sometimes it's important to keep a sense of proportion.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Have you tried different sweeteners? Like stevia, xylitol, erythritol for example.

When I went low carb coffee, it was either add a sweetener to cream or half n half or drink it black. I couldn't make it taste like coffee did with all the different creamers. I ended up having to get used to a different taste, but with time I do now like black or with cream added. It was pretty tough at first.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have you tried different sweeteners? Like stevia, xylitol, erythritol for example.

When I went low carb coffee, it was either add a sweetener to cream or half n half or drink it black. I couldn't make it taste like coffee did with all the different creamers. I ended up having to get used to a different taste, but with time I do now like black or with cream added. It was pretty tough at first.

Yes. I am using zero sugar 3 in 1 coffee, the 5.1g carb came from the glucose syrup in the creamer in the formula. I sweetened it myself with stevia extract.

I ever tried using evaporated milk with high quality instant coffee and stevia, the end product do not taste as good as the 3 in 1.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me instant coffee with double cream or unsweetened almond milk with erythritol/stevia.