Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I use Nexgard (chewable tablets) for my dogs and none of them has ever had fleas. It also prevents against ticks and a whole host of worms, and whilst it's expensive, it seems to work well.
The cost would be a problem with 3 dogs and 2 cats, plus the 2 sleepover dogs. Especially as the owner of the sleepover dogs only has 50 euro's a week. We'll see how it ends with the flea collars and conditioner.

On the up side, we had way less fleas than I thought as the fleas clearly prefer the little black dog with rather thin fur :) I had assumed they all had as many fleas as him.
And we had a lot of fun on the flea hunt! My friend came up with the plan to not work in the bathroom but simply go to the small canal where we regularly go swimming, which worked perfectly and spared me 5 wet dogs wanting to dry themselves in my bed :)

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
This morning and yesterday afternoon were not pleasant.
Over the weekend, I was getting fed up with drinking water in the heat so bought a nice sounding coconut and vanilla yoghurt chai drink. It came in a 500g bottle which was a bit much to drink in one go so I weighed out half yesterday and had the rest today.
When carb counting, I was shocked to see it had over 20g carbs per 100g - more than 100g carbs in the whole bottle. "Ho hum", I thought, "I won't be getting that again but I'll dose and enjoy now I've bought it". Unfortunately, I hypoed big time yesterday. I was not so arrogant to think the nutritional label was wrong - I assumed I had miscalculated something earlier. So, today, I made sure I had no insulin on board and had not eaten anything else all day when I dosed for and drank the rest. Yesterday's hypo experience was repeated - it took 8 GlucoTabs to return my BG to normality.
Being a good citizen, I thought I would warn the manufacturer and suggest they checked their labels. I sent a polite non-threatening email.
On the plus side, they replied. However, could they be more patronising?

"I normally don’t respond directly to customer feedback however as a fellow T1D using carbohydrate counting your email caught my eye. The nutritionals on our products our verified by an independent laboratory on a periodic basis so we can assure you that the nutritionals stated on pack are indeed accurate. Insulin dosage is also impacted by the glycaemic index of foods (speed of absorption of sugars into the blood stream) so this may be a factor in the low blood sugar incident. Regardless I would recommend you speak to your health care professional as I know from past experience that getting the carbohydrate counting spot on can be a challenge!"
@helensaramay awful reply you got and think you only got it because the person says they're T1... doubtful. Is there a moral to this story do you think?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
This morning and yesterday afternoon were not pleasant.
Over the weekend, I was getting fed up with drinking water in the heat so bought a nice sounding coconut and vanilla yoghurt chai drink. It came in a 500g bottle which was a bit much to drink in one go so I weighed out half yesterday and had the rest today.
When carb counting, I was shocked to see it had over 20g carbs per 100g - more than 100g carbs in the whole bottle. "Ho hum", I thought, "I won't be getting that again but I'll dose and enjoy now I've bought it". Unfortunately, I hypoed big time yesterday. I was not so arrogant to think the nutritional label was wrong - I assumed I had miscalculated something earlier. So, today, I made sure I had no insulin on board and had not eaten anything else all day when I dosed for and drank the rest. Yesterday's hypo experience was repeated - it took 8 GlucoTabs to return my BG to normality.
Being a good citizen, I thought I would warn the manufacturer and suggest they checked their labels. I sent a polite non-threatening email.
On the plus side, they replied. However, could they be more patronising?

"I normally don’t respond directly to customer feedback however as a fellow T1D using carbohydrate counting your email caught my eye. The nutritionals on our products our verified by an independent laboratory on a periodic basis so we can assure you that the nutritionals stated on pack are indeed accurate. Insulin dosage is also impacted by the glycaemic index of foods (speed of absorption of sugars into the blood stream) so this may be a factor in the low blood sugar incident. Regardless I would recommend you speak to your health care professional as I know from past experience that getting the carbohydrate counting spot on can be a challenge!"
Totally patronising! Wish there were an ‘angry’ emoji. I suppose the coconut might delay uptake - what’s the fat content?
Politely write back and suggest they include a warning?

Reactions: KPD

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brian Cat rarely, if ever, gets fleas, which is a huge relief @Antje77, his fur’s very thick. He suffers in the heat and has to hide in the bushes. We’ve had animals who were flea magnets in the past, and I nearly, but not quite, miss the pleasure of the flea hunt and squash.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay might have been interesting to ask how they dose for the said drink, but yes patronising and I bet that the response was from someone fresh out of uni, first job and only been T1 for 6 months.
.... & possibly a member on this forum? ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be a positive in my book as they may learn something from their response.
I was considering find the email address of their CEO and telling him how inappropriate the response was and how it could have been a positive customer satisfaction story. But I cba.

Do you have a name for this product? I found one from ASDA which fits your description. The companies based in Donegal..

Maybe you could start a new thread with other T1s trailing this drink, bolusing on the NV given? Sharing notes.
Thus using the topic to make them take a little more notice over the issue... :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are boycotting it ;)

I was thinking of giving it a thrashing, overseen by meters & sensors.. Find out what's really in this.? On the carb & ofwhiches..

Lol, "boycotting" maybe the safest option..

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily I hate coconut flavoured stuff as well as coconut, so whilst I'm often up for scientific testing, I'll give that one a miss, I think.

I have packed my bag for the morning, dug out my staff badge and memory stick device, had a bath and washed my hair and am about as ready for the onslaught tomorrow as I can be. I will check my e-mails in the morning to see if I've got mandatory training lined up. I utterly refuse to look at them until I absolutely have to and definitely don't access work e-mails out of work as a general rule. But, the morning I go back after the 6 weeks, I do a quick check just in case there's anything I would be better knowing before setting foot on the premises.

Having been out all day yesterday, I did have a mooch at home, doing very little kind of day today. Definitely have different ratios on those kinds of days, I've had far more fast-acting today for a similar lot of carbs to the last three or four days.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
The rain’s arrived, and it’s cooler. Bloods behaving better . Just been given a very large courgette by neighbours. Lots of giggle material.
Hope it IS a large courgette and not a marrow, they're useless

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hope it IS a large courgette and not a marrow, they're useless
Marrows can be cut and cooked in olive oil or butter, with garlic, and then they’re delicious. I make a mean mock moussaka with marrow instead of aubergine but, like aubergine, the marrow needs to be salted first so it’s not too wet.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
This just scared the .............. out of me. I heard that it's unkind to put them outside now as they come in from the cold. Durr!! hasn't it just been too hot for doggies to walk on pavements?
That reminds me of this:
Spider.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll tag in @Tipetoo , he'd knows what to do... :D

My wife hates em. So I do the decent thing. Set em free outside... Why do these things happen when I'm chilling out..? :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SueJB