Supermarket shopping

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's not far to go shopping if you buy bulk, it's waste of time and effort if you only buy a couple of chops.
Not everyone has the lump of cash or the storage to be able to do that, though.

D

Deleted member 308541

Not everyone has the lump of cash or the storage to be able to do that, though.
All I can say is people should learn how to budget better, we set aside an amount of money each fortnight for meat. When it gets around $100.00 we put a order in which gets delivered the same day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's not far to go shopping if you buy bulk, it's waste of time and effort if you only buy a couple of chops.
I understand the principle but a) I don't like meat much anymore and b) I know of no butchers around here - and yes I have asked - that sell oxtail or ox cheek for e.g. we can either only buy in supermarkets or minimum order or £200 to make it worth their while. I can buy buffalo, crocodile, ostrich and impala easily but not oxtail for e.g.. May be different in other parts of UK but hereabouts that is what the market dictates. I'm out of this now.

Last edited:

suleaf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
pointless chit-chat, walking without scenery, most people - especially dull people, fat on meat, greed, cruelty, meanness, being hungry, being fat.
Mostly I miss fruit: when i was first diagnosed about 2 years ago i didn't realise just how bad some fruits are, so I ate lots and managed to bump my Hba1c (whatever?) score up from about 50 to 108. Since then I have been much more careful, and have high hopes of a lower score when i get my test done again. I don't miss chocolate; i have a box of after eights in the cupboard that I couldn't live without before, now I look at them and .... well, nothing! And I have learned that it's not a crime to eat things that I really like, such as cheese and sliced cooked meats, so i buy the best i can afford; I am saving money on cakes, chocolate, gin, wine, pannini, chibatta, ice cream etc. so I can buy lots more fish and meat. Stick at it; just eat what you can and then leave the table and go and do something interesting. Best of luck.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ngoat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I am coping very well with a LC diet and am still finding foods I enjoy that fit with this WOE.

But... need to know I'm not the only person who is depressed when walking round a supermarket at how much is now uneatable unless I want to make myself ill!

What do you do about shopping and how do you do it?
Just get a feeling of being really sorry for myself when I walk up and down those aisles... I find myself having a bit of a wallow.

Just a bit of a moan really. Sorry!

maltham 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon
Eggs
A world of Cheeses
Salami
Spanish and Italian cures hams.
Nuts
Beef of all the different cuts.
Pork belly
Cream
Avocado
Olives

Mmmmm nope not depressed

Not depressed either. There is a whole world on unprocessed or lightly processed food that are not high in carbs we can enjoy. Become aware and not only will you reduce your carbs but get a better diet to boot :)

And add to the list above alcohol : most wines and spirits are low in carbs and can be enjoyed in moderation. lager : you need to a bit careful. Ale : works OK for me...

And once you have a lower processed carb diet - well fruit comes OK as well along with all the benefits.

Everything in moderation is a good mantra.

ngoat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I am coping very well with a LC diet and am still finding foods I enjoy that fit with this WOE.

But... need to know I'm not the only person who is depressed when walking round a supermarket at how much is now uneatable unless I want to make myself ill!

What do you do about shopping and how do you do it?
Just get a feeling of being really sorry for myself when I walk up and down those aisles... I find myself having a bit of a wallow.

Just a bit of a moan really. Sorry!
So I guess it depends on what you enjoy eating and how much you enjoy cooking. If you like to cook the LC diet will be easy. You don't buy premade food. If you cook from scratch, that dictates which Aisles are good for shopping. You can make many foods that you enjoyed before. Even cake and cookies are not off limits! There are loads of low carb cooking and recipe websites.
As long as you understand what spikes your blood sugar. I HIGHLY recommend the Blood Sugar Solution by Dr Mark.Hyman

mouseee

Well, you write a post, go to sleep, go to work and back, check the forum and you're there for 10 mins reading all the replies!

Thanks for the tips. I know that LC is so much better for me than my old diet. I've always been a cook from scratch person, several years of serious budgeting taught me that! The things I could make with my cupboard full of basics!

Unfortunately I have a carb addicted OH who would live on pizza and ice cream if he could. Also a very independent veggie teenager who often cooks for herself. So in a way, it's would be easier to go and shop for me and then send them to shop for themselves!
I might try online, I've done it a couple of times and I can see that it might well work for me now too.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
All I can say is people should learn how to budget better, we set aside an amount of money each fortnight for meat. When it gets around $100.00 we put a order in which gets delivered the same day.
People living hand to mouth need to eat while they’re saving for a bulk order. It’s just not an option for some, and is why poorer people end up paying more for their food and utilities. You can’t “budget better” if what you have isn’t enough to start with.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely drink and don't smoke either, but I have to watch the pennies and budget well, I like a bargain.

Neither do I - never have. I'm glad I never started because there's no way I could afford to buy alcohol and/or cigarettes, pay to keep my old car going so that I am sort of mobile, pay fuel bills AND eat.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Neither do I - never have. I'm glad I never started because there's no way I could afford to buy alcohol and/or cigarettes, pay to keep my old car going so that I am sort of mobile, pay fuel bills AND eat.

I did smoke years ago, but so glad I gave up the disgusting habit , wished I had never started :yuck::yuck: someone told me the price of a pack of 20 and I was really shocked :wideyed:
Going to shops and picking up bargains is great, such a nice feeling of stretching those pounds, not just to get a good meal, but a few meals.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi late to this thread but I'm another that finds shopping difficult. Like you I know this LCHF way of life is what I need to do but I really miss the things I used to eat and seeing them in a shop doesn't do go things for my mental health. What I hope is that when I get my HCA1 (?) reviewed and it is better and when eventually my weight loss becomes seeable (lost over 7 kgs- so slow and yet not noticeable :( ) that that will be enough to convince my emotions that this way is better.

For now staying out of the shops regularly and avoiding the actual weekly shop.

stevenkpalmer

I am a bit weird in that I quite enjoy a wander around the Aldi picking up weird and wonderful things. I know what you mean though it can be a bit depressing when you see all those tasty pies and pizzas you cant have. Still I'd rather look in the mirror and see my trimmer tummy than eat that stuff then regret it.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear me, some of the comments on here are horrendous, people judging others and making unfounded assumptions about being poor which must therefore mean they are spending money on 'booze and fags'! I have no doubt there are people that do this but there are plenty living hand to mouth in circumstances SOME people on here have no idea about and do not care about. This holier than though attitude is reprehensible and simply feeds into unwarranted bias and stereotyping.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a bit weird in that I quite enjoy a wander around the Aldi picking up weird and wonderful things. I know what you mean though it can be a bit depressing when you see all those tasty pies and pizzas you cant have. Still I'd rather look in the mirror and see my trimmer tummy than eat that stuff then regret it.
We simply walk around the processed food aisles saying "poison, poison, poison" get some odd looks sometimes but we're used to that..!