Going back into Powerlifting (again!!!)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a few weeks off from any training as I am trying to rehab my hip. Have just started back with a light bench 90kg 3x4 and a few accessory exercises and the hip hurts, then trained deadlift and worked upto 160kg 2x2 and the hip hurts a lot. I don't think I'm going to compete for the rest of the year until I get this hip sorted out and then may just do single lifts. I don't know what to do at the moment

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well I have done it again!! I have entered another British Championships Qualifier in September for next years Championships!! I must be mad. I have entered in single lift categories Bench Press and Deadlift, as my hip is still bothering me so much I can't squat so single lifts it is. I have devised a training programme which will hopefully get me the qualifying totals for both British and European Championships. Wish me luck! 11 weeks till show time!!!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
3 training weeks left, and it doesn't look likely that I will hit my goal weights. I can't walk for a day after training and anything over 200kg on the deadlift is torture, but being as stubborn as I am I will still compete (this time just because I can and enjoy it) and will see what next year brings, you never know I might win something!!

LSwifeofT1D

Hey guys! Im hoping as powerlifters you’ll please give me some advice? My husband is type 1 - diagnosed 2 years ago now at 33. He’s still been in the honeymoon phase so he’s been managing really well with degludec (long lasting) and aspart (fast aching). Hb1ac was 51 last time!

But we knew it wouldn’t last as nurses kept saying he’s still in honeymoon phase.

We recently got a home gym and he’s been doing a good 1-1.5 hours of weightlifting and cycling most days. But his blood sugars go so high afterwards - getting readings of 10 afterwards. Then through out the day he’s been high, then before bed and on waking up he’s still pretty high.

Any advice on how you manage blood sugars after exercise like weightlifting?

We’ve heard BS behaves differently depending on the exercise - so heavy cardio lowers it but weights can increase it.

Or... is he nearing the end of the honeymoon phase?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys! Im hoping as powerlifters you’ll please give me some advice? My husband is type 1 - diagnosed 2 years ago now at 33. He’s still been in the honeymoon phase so he’s been managing really well with degludec (long lasting) and aspart (fast aching). Hb1ac was 51 last time!

But we knew it wouldn’t last as nurses kept saying he’s still in honeymoon phase.

We recently got a home gym and he’s been doing a good 1-1.5 hours of weightlifting and cycling most days. But his blood sugars go so high afterwards - getting readings of 10 afterwards. Then through out the day he’s been high, then before bed and on waking up he’s still pretty high.

Any advice on how you manage blood sugars after exercise like weightlifting?

We’ve heard BS behaves differently depending on the exercise - so heavy cardio lowers it but weights can increase it.

Or... is he nearing the end of the honeymoon phase?
I suspect that its a combination of the beginning of the end of the honeymoon phase, and the amount of cardio he's doing. I suggest test, test and test again. he could have a small meal (protein, fats and a small amount of carbs) prior to the session with some insulin to cover this, train then check afterwards to see if he has his rise in BS's (I suspect he will but not as big) then settle down. for the next few weeks it will be trial and error for him, my readings go off the scale after a particularly heavy session (usually deadlifts) and I have to give corrective doses, but then crash through the night and I go low. its about striking a balance to ensure that he doesn't go too high (if needed corrective dose, but conservatively) and then testing after his post training meal, insulin to see what its doing. Write everything down too, session length, weights/exercises done any cardio then do the some for his food intake and numbers on the meter before/during/after training this will highlight patterns and what his corrective measures are and will highlight if he's entering into the end of honeymooning. But keep it up as he will formulate his own plan on how to ensure he gets his readings down after intense training. Good luck and let me know how he is progressing and apologies for the lateness of my reply.

Reactions: LSwifeofT1D

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I competed on Sunday in the A/BPU Northeast qualifier for 2020 British and European Championships, only competed in the Push/Pull part of the event. Finished with a 140kg bench (qualifies me for the Europeans) and a 205kg deadlift not what I wanted but with the ongoing hip issue that I have I'm more than happy with it. I've been told that I will be receiving my Invites to the British Champs soon to defend my Titles! Didn't realise that I would be and have the chance to compete at the 2020 British Championships. Hopefully I can manage to compete in the British, European and World Championships next year, that is what I'm going to aim for and injuries allowing I will achieve it.

Thanks everyone for following this journey with me.

Reactions: zauberflote

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I competed on Sunday in the A/BPU Northeast qualifier for 2020 British and European Championships, only competed in the Push/Pull part of the event. Finished with a 140kg bench (qualifies me for the Europeans) and a 205kg deadlift not what I wanted but with the ongoing hip issue that I have I'm more than happy with it. I've been told that I will be receiving my Invites to the British Champs soon to defend my Titles! Didn't realise that I would be and have the chance to compete at the 2020 British Championships. Hopefully I can manage to compete in the British, European and World Championships next year, that is what I'm going to aim for and injuries allowing I will achieve it.

Thanks everyone for following this journey with me.

Wow, John, get you!!!!!!! What an achievement, a perfect answer to this 'You can't do this or that' brigade. x

Reactions: johnpol

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, John, get you!!!!!!! What an achievement, a perfect answer to this 'You can't do this or that' brigade. x
It definitely does, Diabetes shouldn't hold anyone back, it should hopefully give you the drive to do what you set your mind to. Especially considering our daily struggles.

Reactions: KK123

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@johnpol I've been gone, but what wonderful news to come back to! WOW!!!! Congratulations, and special consideration to your hip, which is rising to the occasions with you.

I was just so excited to read your post there. Happy happy!!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's been a while since I have last been on the forum, I've competed in the 2021 ABPU British Powerlifting Championships and won the bench press and deadlift titles in the M3 125kg class. Due to injuries I have had to go into the equipped bench only for this years ABPU British Single Lift Championships where I hope to take my 5th British title, and my first Equipped title. Training has been going well, with a top single bench press of 230kg or 506lb's depending how you want to read it. I'm still training, not just posting on here a lot.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have competed twice in the last 6 weeks, A/BPU British Single lift Championship in the equipped Bench Press category. I benched 187.5kg in a single ply bench shirt, which was enough to win my class, M3 125kg and am know a a multiple british Champion. and last weekend I competed at the A/BPU Bench Bust up, which is a Raw/Equipped competition and benched 220kg in the multiply category. my next comp is the A/WPC World Championships in September at Manchester. Hopefully I'll do well in that comp.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
That’s awesome! My bench is embarrassing, though I’m doing hypertrophy training. Two years and I barely added a few pounds lol. My squat is a tad better at three plates.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Amazing lifts, well above elite level.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to let everyone know that I competed in the AWPC World Championships on the 10/9/2022 in Manchester, I am now a World Champion in the Equipped Bench press M3 125kg category, I only managed a press of 175kg, but this was the heaviest bench in my flight and the second heaviest equipped bench in the competition. I even had to deal with a series of hypos before warm up, so my day nearly ended before it began. so I am happy with the outcome.

Attachments

• AWPC World Championship (2).JPG
    AWPC World Championship (2).JPG
    937.2 KB · Views: 86

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't posted in a long while, training ha been going well. attempted to have the biggest equipped bench by a 140kg M3 lifter in the UK, 280kg, but missed all 3 attempts. But have won a ABPU British single ply bench Championship and a WPC World Single ply Bench Championship at the grand old age of 53. Have also been diagnosed with a piturity/brain tumour in June of this year so to be still training is a bonus. Diabetes isn't doing as its told at the moment and is pretty difficult to keep stable.

Attachments

• WPC Worlds Medal ceremony.jpeg
    WPC Worlds Medal ceremony.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 49