What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Little quote for today
FB_IMG_1568387897448.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried to call my neighborhood Aldi only to get a recording saying local stores' phone numbers are unlisted in order to streamline their work and keep customer costs down. IOW they force customers to pay to travel to their stores instead of being able to make a free phone call to see if they carry a certain item. SOL.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Thanks all for your kind comments. I still have several things to sort out but am starting to pace myself a bit more. Mum has recovered from her hip surgery and kidney infection but after many weeks in 2 hospitals was told she would never walk again so couldn't go home. She needed nursing care as well as somewhere that could manage her Alzheimer's which also took a step change following her surgery. It has been a real struggle finding somewhere suitable. In between visiting hospitals every day, sometimes for up to 6 hours as I was feeding mum, I was visiting care homes, making numerous phonecalls, clearing mum's house ( my childhood home), of 64 years of accumulated things. ( Dad had kept everything including receipts from 1940!). In the meantime my mum's sister has been seriously ill and have spent several full nights in A&E with her as well as hospital visits and care home visits during her palliative care. Attended lots of meetings re mum and her sister. Aunty passed away last month after a severe stroke and I have organised her funeral. In between all this both my hubby and myself had a few health issues. The hardest thing for me was not being able to tell mum about her sister who she loves dearly. Everyone advised me it would be too distressing for mum so I was dashing from really upsetting visits with aunty to see mum with a smile on my face! I seem to have spent the last few months in A&E, hospital wards, care homes and funeral homes! :( All of the above would have been manageable but all happened at once, were lots more stressful complications I haven't mentioned, and no-one to help out. Now you know why I didn't post! I am still visiting mum daily but will try and pop in more often and with more positive things from now on. :)
(PS: My last HbA1c had improved so avoided an increase in medication but have been eating on the hoof for a while so not sure what my next one will be).

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for your kind comments. I still have several things to sort out but am starting to pace myself a bit more.

Mum has recovered from her hip surgery and kidney infection but after many weeks in 2 hospitals was told she would never walk again so couldn't go home.
She needed nursing care as well as somewhere that could manage her Alzheimer's which also took a step change following her surgery. It has been a real struggle finding somewhere suitable.

In between visiting hospitals every day, sometimes for up to 6 hours as I was feeding mum, I was visiting care homes, making numerous phonecalls, clearing mum's house ( my childhood home), of 64 years of accumulated things. ( Dad had kept everything including receipts from 1940!).

In the meantime my mum's sister has been seriously ill and have spent several full nights in A&E with her as well as hospital visits and care home visits during her palliative care. Attended lots of meetings re mum and her sister.

Aunty passed away last month after a severe stroke and I have organised her funeral.
In between all this both my hubby and myself had a few health issues.

The hardest thing for me was not being able to tell mum about her sister who she loves dearly.
Everyone advised me it would be too distressing for mum so I was dashing from really upsetting visits with aunty to see mum with a smile on my face!

I seem to have spent the last few months in A&E, hospital wards, care homes and funeral homes! :( All of the above would have been manageable but all happened at once, were lots more stressful complications I haven't mentioned, and no-one to help out.

Now you know why I didn't post!

I am still visiting mum daily but will try and pop in more often and with more positive things from now on. :)
(PS: My last HbA1c had improved so avoided an increase in medication but have been eating on the hoof for a while so not sure what my next one will be).

OMG, what an awful lot to have to deal with., so sorry to hear of the troubles you are having.

Far too much for one person to cope with in such a short space of time.

I hear the stress re telling mum of the death, but your are absolutely doing the right thing.

When my dad passed away i never told my mum.
because i knew it would distress her, and then next day she'd ask why he doesn't come up any more,
and i'd have to watch her break down all over again, and that would have been week after week.
i certainly could not do that to her, or to me, if i'm honest with myself..

Hard to keep a cheerful face when your hearts breaking inside, so BIG respect to YOU for
protecting your mum so well.

if it helps i reconciled my guilt of not telling, with the fact that for my mum, and maybe yours too.
EVERY body they ever loved growing up is still very much alive (in their minds),

so when ever she asked about her mum (long since passed)
i just lied and said the trains weren't running, or the ferries got cancelled, and she seemed to accept that quite easily.
and would then ask me again a few days later, so it went on and on.

I found THE best thing i could do was take a day for ME, every week or so.
No one can burn through so much without crashing at some point, and if you take on so much without any respite for yourself, what good would you be to her or anyone ?

Do try and take a moment somewhere..easy for me to say, yes..but i have been there, so i know it isn't just desirable, it's essential

Please don't let guilt stop you taking a moment to catch your breathe... trust me you will all be better for it.

May whoever looks over us, give you a little peace so you can continue the overwhelming workload that would reduce many others to quivering wrecks.

God bless you and i hope you and your husband get back to better health.soon.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your kind comments. I still have several things to sort out but am starting to pace myself a bit more. Mum has recovered from her hip surgery and kidney infection but after many weeks in 2 hospitals was told she would never walk again so couldn't go home. She needed nursing care as well as somewhere that could manage her Alzheimer's which also took a step change following her surgery. It has been a real struggle finding somewhere suitable. In between visiting hospitals every day, sometimes for up to 6 hours as I was feeding mum, I was visiting care homes, making numerous phonecalls, clearing mum's house ( my childhood home), of 64 years of accumulated things. ( Dad had kept everything including receipts from 1940!). In the meantime my mum's sister has been seriously ill and have spent several full nights in A&E with her as well as hospital visits and care home visits during her palliative care. Attended lots of meetings re mum and her sister. Aunty passed away last month after a severe stroke and I have organised her funeral. In between all this both my hubby and myself had a few health issues. The hardest thing for me was not being able to tell mum about her sister who she loves dearly. Everyone advised me it would be too distressing for mum so I was dashing from really upsetting visits with aunty to see mum with a smile on my face! I seem to have spent the last few months in A&E, hospital wards, care homes and funeral homes! :( All of the above would have been manageable but all happened at once, were lots more stressful complications I haven't mentioned, and no-one to help out. Now you know why I didn't post! I am still visiting mum daily but will try and pop in more often and with more positive things from now on. :)
For you dogslife please remember to take care of yourself at this hard and stressful time xx
FB_IMG_1560869173884.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dogslife I am so sorry you have have hadao much to deal with all on top of it each other. That is a really hard serious of family events and I can only send you hugs. You are quite amazing IMO.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OMG, what an awful lot to have to deal with., so sorry to hear of the troubles you are having.

Far too much for one person to cope with in such a short space of time.

I hear the stress re telling mum of the death, but your are absolutely doing the right thing.

When my dad passed away i never told my mum.
because i knew it would distress her, and then next day she'd ask why he doesn't come up any more,
and i'd have to watch her break down all over again, and that would have been week after week.
i certainly could not do that to her, or to me, if i'm honest with myself..

Hard to keep a cheerful face when your hearts breaking inside, so BIG respect to YOU for
protecting your mum so well.

if it helps i reconciled my guilt of not telling, with the fact that for my mum, and maybe yours too.
EVERY body they ever loved growing up is still very much alive (in their minds),

so when ever she asked about her mum (long since passed)
i just lied and said the trains weren't running, or the ferries got cancelled, and she seemed to accept that quite easily.
and would then ask me again a few days later, so it went on and on.

I found THE best thing i could do was take a day for ME, every week or so.
No one can burn through so much without crashing at some point, and if you take on so much without any respite for yourself, what good would you be to her or anyone ?

Do try and take a moment somewhere..easy for me to say, yes..but i have been there, so i know it isn't just desirable, it's essential

Please don't let guilt stop you taking a moment to catch your breathe... trust me you will all be better for it.

May whoever looks over us, give you a little peace so you can continue the overwhelming workload that would reduce many others to quivering wrecks.

God bless you and i hope you and your husband get back to better health.soon.
Thanks, jjraak for sharing your experiences. My mind kept telling me I was doing the right thing about not telling mum. It would have been cruel. But it went against everything I am as I've always shared everything and been honest so I really struggled with it. I did reach a point where I felt I couldn't cope any more as more challenges kept piling up but They had to be dealt with so I just took a deep breath and carried on. Now that mum is in care I can now step back and breath! We still have some complications to sort out due to mistakes made by others but I can at least sort them out one at a time. Thanks again for your kindness.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@dogslife I am so sorry you have have hadao much to deal with all on top of it each other. That is a really hard serious of family events and I can only send you hugs. You are quite amazing IMO.
Thank you Penguin mum.:)

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think one of the hardest things we sometimes have to do is take on the role of a parent and try to figure out what to say, what to tell our parents. Even when we're grown we're still the children and it is so hard.

Hugs to you, @dogslife and to you, @jjraak .

Do try to rest when you can.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with all everyone has said previously @dogslife

I’ve done it with my aunt, mother, and with my father when I said it was my turn to come in today and my (dead) mother’s turn to come in tomorrow and that worked and satisfied. But it does hurt you inside especially with keeping repeating this.

A bottomless basket of hugs for you to take one when you need it. And you do need some chill out time which feels virtually impossible in the circumstances. But as I understand from what you have written above, that you have got to a stage where you can mentally stand back a little now. Build on that and make sure you have that time out to rest and recuperate yourself.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another early Good Morning with a 4.9 at 4.30am.

@dogslife I truly wish you well through these difficult times, like many here I have much empathy and hope you are able to find time to smell the roses along the way on this difficult journey.

Today off for a rather long walk to record a 360 degree vista for posterity and the local AONB records. Then one of my grandaughters wildlife birthday party after which they all come back to us for an evening meal, a long day ahead.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9

Back into the 6’s and despite daughter from Oz being here (as regards food and smelling all the toast she cooks for herself) and us eating out a lot. But I did stick religiously to the low carbs I was eating, and the right foods for my blood sugar.

So I am pleased with this.

Have a great day. Looks like it might be blue skies and sun.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...up super early at 04:45 but feel as if I slept well...time will tell...oddly enjoying putting the house back to rights & getting things up to scratch makes me feel a little more secure when there is less disarray...coffee & breakfast done so no excuse for lingering here... @dogslife I was never in a position where I had to make the same impossible decisions you have had to face recently...I am not sure how I would have got through it...but you have your determination & compassion in caring for your mother & aunt is touching.