What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.1

I had a breakfast out yesterday with a friend. The rest of the menu was appalling for me doing low carb. So I chose a breakfast, but 2/3 of the plate was all high carb stuff so therefore inedible for me. But there was not going to be enough food for me (I’d had nothing to eat earlier). So, I decided to go for a larger breakfast (and waste even more carbohydrate food on the plate but at least I was going to get enough food).

This place has made it clear before that they will allow no substitutions of food on the plate and it is printed in capitals all over the menu.

My friend has an anathema for paying for something you cannot or don’t want to eat.

So she went to the counter to order. It was quite a way from me so I couldn’t lipread what she was doing. But it was a longer interaction than just a food order.

I am dying to know what she is up to. There was laughing going on between her and the lady behind the counter, and pointing in my direction. What on Earth was she up to?

She came back laughing! She showed me the menu and showed me the extras for breakfast. She had ordered my breakfast just from the extras, and made up a breakfast from all the items she knew I could eat. Apparently that was quite acceptable.

So, it meant I paid a £1 more than the regular breakfast, yet £2 less than the large breakfast. And best of all every item on that plate I could eat and really enjoy. You know, without the baked beans touching the food you can eat for low carb, because possibly most of us are tempted and have one baked bean and then there are no baked beans left on the plate, and afterwards the breakfast is spoilt because of that.

So that was amazing what she negotiated, and she did it with laughter and banter between her and the counter lady. I could see that visually. But with being deaf and too far away, I don’t know exactly what was said.

So that was brilliant!

By the way she gets me to do her negotiations for her, beating someone down in price for something etc. I love this kind of interaction and battle that she doesn’t like doing for herself. I have no emotional investment in the outcome for that item, but I do love winning. And I win every time for something like this for another person! Defeat is never an option for me. So it never happens :)

So we can all help each other!
Really pleased for you that yesterday went well @gennepher. Great anecdote about the meal and a good fbg today.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Meter showed 6.8 this morning which is highest since days 1 and 2 on July 8 and 9 2015. No idea how it relates to food lately, drugs since op, batteries in meter, atmospheric conditions, illness brewing or anything else. It is 1 reading and may not be repeated so no kneejerk reaction. It is, though, a very sudden and extreme manifestation of a 12-14 month deterioration in my body's relationship with LC (backed up by the data) so something like this may have been brewing. Obviously won't fix this in a day or by abandoning LC. I was concerned about fasting levels in mid to high 5s (maybe rightly) so this raises the stakes somewhat. Not after hugs or advice this is just what using my meter, recording data and reflecting on that is all about, IMHO. Bug brewing is obviously most likely explanation. Clues will come in how I feel and resting pulse (fitbit takes a while to update sleeping rate in the mornings but realtime one is high for me) Sorry if TLDR

It is a constant working out @ianpspurs and you have had a lot of things recently messing with your body functions, the op etc.

This is not advice, or maybe it is, but I don’t mean this in a bad way. I think your body needs time to adjust still from the op, which I think is what you are sort of saying, that things change over time.

I apologise if I am speaking out of turn, but sometimes I want to give a response.

I am interested in reading what you are doing, how you are approaching this. It is very informative. And makes me think about something I might not have done before.

I know I want more immediate answers to something and this can be frustrating.

I am going out in the garden now. That rare beast the sun is blazoning away and cat needs food!

You have a good day.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's so good of her gennepher wish there were more like that...a little understanding goes a long way.

It does indeed @Bubbsie
It can make your day. It did mine. I was more upbeat after, and it affected the rest of my day’s interactions in a good way. It is like ‘sunshine’ spreads sunshine!
Have a good day :)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those fighting futile battles. @jjraak over the extra space and @ianpspurs over trying to understand blood sugar variations.

Just to reiterate diabetes is a simultaneous equation with an infinite number of unknowns. Did you know the liver 27 years ago was responsible 106 major function and over 5000 minor functions, more have probably been discovered. ( Figures from the liver research unit at the Q.E. H. Birmingham ) Therefore trying to fully understand what that chemical factory called the liver is doing with our blood sugars is beyond my understanding. Good luck.

Well this morning my reading was 6.4 and the hammer is at the ready. I am wondering if intimidating my meter is working.

Well folks have a great day, remember only another 6 days till it's bin day again.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She came back laughing! She showed me the menu and showed me the extras for breakfast. She had ordered my breakfast just from the extras, and made up a breakfast from all the items she knew I could eat. Apparently that was quite acceptable.
@gennepher what a brilliant outcome. How interesting that she could do this for you but then she cannot negotiate a deal for herself - but you can negotiate for her. It's great when we can help each other.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So that was amazing what she negotiated, and she did it with laughter and banter between her and the counter lady. I could see that visually. But with being deaf and too far away, I don’t know exactly what was said.

So that was brilliant!

That is great, real friend right there :)

My cafe let me choose what I wanted and because I'm a regular it has gone on the menu as the "Terminator Breakfast - the choice for T2's, all protein and no option for beans or bread" (ref to Terminator T2 film) :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to reiterate diabetes is a simultaneous equation with an infinite number of unknowns. Did you know the liver 27 years ago was responsible 106 major function and over 5000 minor functions, more have probably been discovered. ( Figures from the liver research unit at the Q.E. H. Birmingham ) Therefore trying to fully understand what that chemical factory called the liver is doing with our blood sugars is beyond my understanding. Good luck.
Mrs MC is always saying I am a pessimistic Muddy Cyclist so the words of that great series Dad's Army come to mind, 'Don't panic Mr Mannering' and 'We're all doomed', yet I still keep feeding Dracula in some hope of clarity.

Reactions: gennepher

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.1

I had a breakfast out yesterday with a friend. The rest of the menu was appalling for me doing low carb. So I chose a breakfast, but 2/3 of the plate was all high carb stuff so therefore inedible for me. But there was not going to be enough food for me (I’d had nothing to eat earlier). So, I decided to go for a larger breakfast (and waste even more carbohydrate food on the plate but at least I was going to get enough food).

This place has made it clear before that they will allow no substitutions of food on the plate and it is printed in capitals all over the menu.

My friend has an anathema for paying for something you cannot or don’t want to eat.

So she went to the counter to order. It was quite a way from me so I couldn’t lipread what she was doing. But it was a longer interaction than just a food order.

I am dying to know what she is up to. There was laughing going on between her and the lady behind the counter, and pointing in my direction. What on Earth was she up to?

So, it meant I paid a £1 more than the regular breakfast, yet £2 less than the large breakfast. And best of all every item on that plate I could eat and really enjoy. You know, without the baked beans touching the food you can eat for low carb, because possibly most of us are tempted and have one baked bean and then there are no baked beans left on the plate, and afterwards the breakfast is spoilt because of that.

So that was brilliant!

By the way she gets me to do her negotiations for her, beating someone down in price for something etc. I love this kind of interaction and battle that she doesn’t like doing for herself. I have no emotional investment in the outcome for that item, but I do love winning. And I win every time for something like this for another person! Defeat is never an option for me. So it never happens :)

So we can all help each other!
Good friends, good eateries, worth their weight in gold.

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is great, real friend right there :)

My cafe let me choose what I wanted and because I'm a regular it has gone on the menu as the "Terminator Breakfast - the choice for T2's, all protein and no option for beans or bread" (ref to Terminator T2 film) :)

Oh wow!
That is amazing @HarrisonK
I love it :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. 6.8 for me this morning. Snap, @ianpspurs except for me it's my lowest for a while.:) Only difference today is that I had an early evening meal ( small carvery of turkey and above ground vegetables) and went to bed early after another stressful visit to see mum so no supper. Off soon to visit mum then to do our voluntary work. Have a good day one and all. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.8 for me this morning. Snap, @ianpspurs except for me it's my lowest for a while.:) Only difference today is that I had an early evening meal ( small carvery of turkey and above ground vegetables) and went to bed early after another stressful visit to see mum so no supper. Off soon to visit mum then to do our voluntary work. Have a good day one and all. :)
Pleased for you that your fbg is lowest for a while and full of admiration that with everything going on in your life you still find time to volunteer. There are some amazing people on this forum.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all I got my Miao Miao yesterday and I’m loving it, a quick glance at my watch and I see my blood sugars. Having the opportunity to calibrate the Libre against finger prick tests is good(ish), seems my Libre has been reading a touch lower than my metre. The tomato app I’m using with Miao Miao has taken this into account. While my Libre gave me an over night hypo, tomato said I was a little bit high above my upper target or 7.5.
90BD88DF-5576-45F4-9F82-61882386432E.png 404AD817-6CA1-494E-AFC9-6C9CD76743F4.png

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all I got my Miao Miao yesterday and I’m loving it, a quick glance at my watch and I see my blood sugars. Having the opportunity to calibrate the Libre against finger prick tests is good(ish), seems my Libre has been reading a touch lower than my metre. The tomato app I’m using with Miao Miao has taken this into account. While my Libre gave me an over night hypo, tomato said I was a little bit high above my upper target or 7.5.
View attachment 35738 View attachment 35739
Firstly, congratulations fantastic results from diet only. Secondly, as one of a few people considering a libre that is very helpful - knowing the apps and difference between meter and libre confirm things I had read. Hope the beading goes well if you are doing any today.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs thanks! I said good(ish) because I was quite happy with my 4-6 readings coming from the libre, bot the truth of 5-8 does kinda motivate me to get better control than I thought I had.

Today’s beading is more triangles for the pudding. Yesterday I didn’t work on the pudding, just finished my white ditties bracelet at my grans care home. Kinda a tough visit, she didn’t realise her birthday was coming up, and she threw a paddy that her birthday card had nan on it. It’s what she’s always been called, I asked her if she would have liked grandma on it (she’s always hated it) she said she’s not a grandmother, never even had kids! And there’s no way she’s 85! But she liked the bracelet.

P.s. as I was leaving I heard her showing the bracelet to a carer, “do you like my bracelet, my granddaughter made it for me” :banghead::banghead:

Reactions: dunelm

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy Thursday, everyone, and Happy Birthday to my KittenCat. She is 15 today and I'd hoped to wrestle up a 5.something in her honor, but the 6.6 the meter gave me is better than some other readings I've wrung from it in recent days.

Meanwhile we are celebrating with a fishcake and a Magnum (even though I'm not in Five-0 Land yet).

g61035.gif
g61034.gif
g61034.gif