Hello, I’m a recently diagnosed type 2.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked after eating?
I have never bothered with testing first thing in the morning as there is nothing I can learn from it, but I check after eating once in a while just to show myself that my choices have consequences.
When starting off it is usual to do a check before eating, then at one hour and two hours after that. Once you have data from a few meals testing at the two hour point is all that you really need.
To get down to a top end of normal Hba1c I can eat 40 gm of carbs a day - but I am really sensitive to carbs - always have been even when doing a lot of exercise. We all have to find out how best to manage our blood glucose. We are all different.

Shawn14564

Have you checked after eating?
I have never bothered with testing first thing in the morning as there is nothing I can learn from it, but I check after eating once in a while just to show myself that my choices have consequences.
When starting off it is usual to do a check before eating, then at one hour and two hours after that. Once you have data from a few meals testing at the two hour point is all that you really need.
To get down to a top end of normal Hba1c I can eat 40 gm of carbs a day - but I am really sensitive to carbs - always have been even when doing a lot of exercise. We all have to find out how best to manage our blood glucose. We are all different.
I feel like I learn the most from the fasting readings in the morning. After all, my goal is to have a fasting blood sugar below 100. I know it will go up after I eat, everyone’s does. Even non-diabetics can have readings in the 140’s after a meal. As long as it returns to normal, that’s all I’m after.

That said, I have done a few after meals. It ranges from the 130s to 140s about 60-90 minutes after a meal. I feel like that is ok?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That said, I have done a few after meals. It ranges from the 130s to 140s about 60-90 minutes after a meal. I feel like that is ok?

That is ok if the rise from before to after the meal is no more than 2mmol/l (36 in your units). You need to compare the before and after readings to establish if your meal was suitable for you.

Caprock94

That is ok if the rise from before to after the meal is no more than 2mmol/l (36 in your units). You need to compare the before and after readings to establish if your meal was suitable for you.

I always wondered what the thinking was here. Wouldn't going from a pre-meal reading of 90 to a post meal reading of 130 still be better than say a pre-meal of 125 and a post meal reading of 145?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always wondered what the thinking was here. Wouldn't going from a pre-meal reading of 90 to a post meal reading of 130 still be better than say a pre-meal of 125 and a post meal reading of 145?

Oh now, you’ve got me there, I assume it’s the effect of the size of the spike? I’ll tag in @Bluetit1802 who is usually a font of all blood test knowledge. Sorry to put you on the spot Bluetit1802 but if you don’t know the answer I don’t know who will :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh now, you’ve got me there, I assume it’s the effect of the size of the spike? I’ll tag in @Bluetit1802 who is usually a font of all blood test knowledge. Sorry to put you on the spot Bluetit1802 but if you don’t know the answer I don’t know who will :)

You flatter me, @Rachox !! I have no idea, but all I can say is "the flatter the line, the better" and the "lower the better."

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You flatter me, @Rachox !! I have no idea, but all I can say is "the flatter the line, the better" and the "lower the better."

Thanks for replying, so my understanding matches yours that you need stable low levels avoiding spikes, even if the spikes are within normal ranges?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying, so my understanding matches yours that you need stable low levels avoiding spikes, even if the spikes are within normal ranges?

I think another side to this is the length of time the spikes take to get to low levels. The longer the BS is raised the worse it is, even at levels accepted as OK by the NHS.

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel like I learn the most from the fasting readings in the morning. After all, my goal is to have a fasting blood sugar below 100. I know it will go up after I eat, everyone’s does. Even non-diabetics can have readings in the 140’s after a meal. As long as it returns to normal, that’s all I’m after.
I'm afraid I can't comment as I work on the level two hours from beginning the meal, and if the reading is over 7 mmol/l which would be 126, I know I have overdone the carbs. I take notice of that and adjust down in future. I want to avoid spikes.

Reactions: Paulm80

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What is considered a good response time for the spike to come back down?

This all depends on the contents of the meal. How many carbs. How much fat. Any alcohol. Activities after eating. We all have our own targets for this, and as our body is unique, it will vary from person to person. In my own case I tend to be highest around 60 to 90 minutes then drop by 2 hours and back to normal by 2 and a half hours. This is after my main evening meal.

Reactions: Rachox

Caprock94

This all depends on the contents of the meal. How many carbs. How much fat. Any alcohol. Activities after eating. We all have our own targets for this, and as our body is unique, it will vary from person to person. In my own case I tend to be highest around 60 to 90 minutes then drop by 2 hours and back to normal by 2 and a half hours. This is after my main evening meal.

This is typical for me as well.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Shawn14564

C7BC3848-3FF0-4FC5-990D-FAAB4D81433F.jpeg
This was my fasting blood sugar this morning. Doing good! 180g carbs/day, 1700 calories/day, 45 minutes cardio exercise/day.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey,

Good work and keep it up,

Just as a note my fasting blood glucose is always good now having done something similar although i'm only 8 weeks in i have lost about 15kg so far. My levels 2 hours after a meal are still not good if i eat the wrong foods. Its not correct to say that only your fasting levels matter, if your levels are rising to higher levels then 145 after meals its still considered diabetic because during those periods the high sugar is doing damage to your body.

If still up after 2 hours, they may still be up after 3 or 4 hours.

Its certainly worth testing after meals just to see where you are as fixing your fasting is only part of the battle.

Not trying to be a downer here, but its just worth looking at it as long term its hard to keep to such a low cal diet, but you could end up thinking your good, back to eating a normal all be it healthier diet but continue to do damage because your body inst processing it well through the day.

Reactions: svgittins

Julie85

Full story;

I am a 39 year old male, overweight but otherwise in good health.

I had routine bloodwork in mid August, fasting blood glucose came in at 178mg/dL. Not good.

Next test was the a1c, that was 8.4% (in American terms). Not good!

Doctor put me on metformin, 1000mg/day.

I never took it.

Instead, I started a 1400 calorie a day diet combined with daily cardio exercise.

Less than a month later my fasting glucose is 118-121 in the mornings. Not perfect but better. I’ve also lost 10 pounds (4.5kg) so far.

My goal, possibly unreasonable but worth trying, is to lose 45 pounds (20kg), with daily exercise and diet, to see the if I can put this into full remission without medication.

Any comments, thoughts are welcome!

Thanks for having me!

Shawn
I was also diagnosed recently, given Metamofin. 500. Waited a week, then begun to take it. First week went well. Second week 2 by day, had digestion problems. Learned I have to take it middle of meals. Now forth week, ok. Lost 4 kg, as a lot less appetite.
Edited by moderator to remove disallowed content.

Last edited by a moderator: