Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I often melt Dark Chocolate and ground nuts or nut chunks together. As many nuts as I can and it still holds together? I love dark chocolate and I love nuts sooo........ I make small bite sized chunks to grab and eat.!

Reactions: MeiChanski

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all from a soggy liverpool the ninjas are on route as i type this more coffee is definately needed enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, hope everyone is fine. Bit cold this morning, and can see fog covering Arthur's Seat. Blood sugar ok overnight, but remaining milk went solid, so need to go out and buy some.

Hope you all have a good day.

Reactions: karen8967

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning fellow pumpers and prickers, hope you are all having a good weekend. Just had a huge clap of thunder and now torrential rain here in Haggisland, so good excuse for no more gardening.

Bloods been mainly OK apart from a huge blip yesterday, I ate quite a lot and decreased bolus in anticipation of gardening work being much harder, shovelling earth etc. Ah well at least I enjoyed the carbs.

Have a great day wherever you may be

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@MeiChanski I visited the Hotel Chocolat shop in Street on Friday and got some small 75% chocolate drops, a box of 75% batons and a bag of Brazil Nuts covered in 75% chocolate :hungry::hungry::hungry: - not opened then yet but sure I’ll get round to them by tonight

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Lantus & gig nights. No rapid on board, no carbs.

I'm not a consistent Libre user. (Self fund.)
But,
I started a new Libre Friday afternoon. I finished work, walked the dog, van was already loaded from last week's gig.
Showered, banged the disk on, got dressed & ready to go...
The scanner told me I had untill "7.33pm" before I could use it.. I expected some scatty readings in the first few hours? However my meter varified what I was getting from the Libre.

I take my lantus around 10/11pm, some say it tailed off after 20/22hours..?
Interesting, I didn't get to dose until 1.30 Saturday morning.
To recap. I happen to know my meter reads 15% higher than a calibrated NHS standard DSN issue.

I mentioned "music therapy" last week. The peaks at the beginning of the evening I don't know.? Fresh sensor? (Didn't concur with my meter.)
The end of the night was loading & driving home.. Then I seemed to dip prior to my Lantus & bed. (Which did tally up with a finger prick.)

You don't wanna see the trends when I woke late the following day.. Now that's where the real rock & roll was, till I bested it in the afternoon.

image.png

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
Not a good start to the day - 2.7, unfortunately I was low for some time on my libre. :( Gargled some coke and I havs further reduced my Tresiba. The frustrating thing is nothing has changed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
Not a good start to the day - 2.7, unfortunately I was low for some time on my libre. :( Gargled some coke and I havs further reduced my Tresiba. The frustrating thing is nothing has changed.

Oddly, I woke on a blurry 2.8er after a dream about fighting over biscuits at a water theme park??!
My Libre says I dropped in about an hour with a tiny blip up 10minutes before I woke.. Either I knocked the sensor or the dream gave a little liver dump..

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oddly, I woke on a blurry 2.8er after a dream about fighting over biscuits at a water theam park??!
My Libre says I dropped in about an hour with a tiny blip up 10minutes before I woke.. Either I knocked the sensor or the dream gave a little liver dump..

Oh my dream was full of food too, no wonder I didn’t want to leave. It was every food item on the menu. Dreams do something give me a bit of a sugar dump, but not always.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my dream was full of food too, no wonder I didn’t want to leave. It was every food item on the menu. Dreams do something give me a bit of a sugar dump, but not always.

Ever since I was a kid Ive had trigger dreams. I've never failed to wake up.

Lol, I don't normally dream. I only remember the ones from a low..

Reactions: Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon. Just woken up to a 2.2 on one finger and a 2.6 on another. Meanwhile my rig was reading 4.7 despite last night’s calibration. Hmmm. This sensor is a bit shady...

Reactions: Alison54321

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know whether to be mad or not, I've been offered a job - unfortunately takes an hour to get there by bus. They told me they'll get back me with their rota etc but that was last week and it's been a week, I emailed them to ask what was happening because if they do want me a) I have no suitable clothes to wear, b) I feel absolutely rubbish with the whole diabetes thing and c) I don't know whether it is worth travelling for an hour to get there. Surely it doesn't take a week to send their decision, rota, uniform details etc, letting me know the day before the start date isn't helping. :( :grumpy:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, with everything else going on, I cannot pursue beauty therapy. I don't think I can handle full time beauty therapy and GCSE english, work part time and travel. Unfortunately I couldn't get any help with funding. I'm not saying this because I cannot be bothered, I am bothered and I want to do everything but I honestly think this isn't how it should go in pursuing in something I want to do. Especially with health at the moment. It just sounds like I'm trying to exhaust myself further and spiral deeper into depression.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At most I can do part time work and GCSE english (it'll be few hours a week). Once the health side of things is okay, I might consider returning to university, but that's only a might.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski well done on getting the job. You may feel they are not responsive enough but I would give yourself a huge pat on the back for getting a job.
I would not expect to start until I had a contract of employment which will set out your terms and conditions. This is usually signed by both parties and then a start date is agreed. I would be chasing them for this and not expecting to start the day after they tell me my rota, uniform etc.
It is a while since I have had a job which has a specified uniform - depending upon how specific it is, your employer may provided some funding for it.

Diabetes can be a right royal PITA. I find the pain is greater when I have nothing else to focus on. I know this is easier to say if I am not hypoing every night but I wonder whether having a job may give you something else to focus on and some enforced structure to your day. Only you know what you can cope with.

Big big hugs - I hope something is sorted soon. At least things are looking positive on the insulin pump and CGM front.
Thank you! It took two days for the manager to get back to me and a little over a week to say they'll send the information over. A structure might be helpful to let me plan things in advance but my main worry is not knowing the hypos. The manager said I can have at it at the bar if I need it. I might have to aim my BG a bit higher to avoid not feeling a hypo coming on, also reduce my insulin before going in. My manager agreed to let me start on 5 hours 4 days a week but at the moment, I don't know the start date or what time I'm suppose to go. I was initially asking for 16-18 hours but we discussed 20hrs and it doesn't seem too bad to work 5 hours a day. My bf can pick me up at night which I confirmed with my mum because she is worried.
Could I ask whats the best way to carry my kit? Women clothes don't have pockets big enough for everything. Do you think I'll need one of those bum bags?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say it depends on your job and uniform ... and fashion (bum bags are ok today but a couple of years ago you would have been considered a bit of a dork with one).
If your job is based at a single location, you can leave your kit in a bag at your desk/counter/bar and educate your colleagues not to touch it.
If you are walking around all the time, pockets and/or bag (of the bum variety if you can/want) would be the way to go. I am pretty hypo aware so tend to just carry my GlucoTabs in a pocket if I am wandering around. It is considered normal in my job to have a phone so I can scan my Libre when I want.
@Mel dCP is the Queen of Pockets - she may have some advice on what makes good pocket clothing.

Bear in mind, when you have a CGM, you should get an alert when you are going low which would give you time to get to your kit before hypoing. So you need a solution to work until then.
I'll be a waitress in a yummy thai resturant (they have a vegan menu which i'm interested in), I don't know if I am getting those aprons with the pockets in front. I was thinking a bum bag could hold the kit, a few pens and few treats. I also quite partial - I know I need to work to earn some money. But I have so many health appointments and I know I won't be in trouble because I've told them I have no holidays booked but I have listed all my health appointments, except pump therapy because I don't know until they send me a letter.
I'm thinking of a solution, I don't know if it's worth contacting my DSN tomorrow to ask.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP is the Queen of Pockets - she may have some advice on what makes good pocket clothing
Mens’ clothes, in a nutshell. Girl clothes are rubbish for pockets. I wear bloke jeans with a sturdy belt for everyday stuff, as I can fit my quite big phone in any of the pockets without it falling out, even when I sit or bend. I do also have a hippy kind of bum bag thing, known in our house as the “strap on pockets” if I’m wearing something like a skirt or tunic and leggings. Similar to this: https://www.whitewizardpurpleelf.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6707925-Belt-Bag-Cotton-Belt-Bag.html

And well done on getting a job offer @MeiChanski ! That’s an achievement in itself! An hour in a bus isn’t so bad - time to read, chill, get your sugars in a good place and into the right frame of mind for the work ahead.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mens’ clothes, in a nutshell. Girl clothes are rubbish for pockets. I wear bloke jeans with a sturdy belt for everyday stuff, as I can fit my quite big phone in any of the pockets without it falling out, even when I sit or bend. I do also have a hippy kind of bum bag thing, known in our house as the “strap on pockets” if I’m wearing something like a skirt or tunic and leggings. Similar to this: https://www.whitewizardpurpleelf.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6707925-Belt-Bag-Cotton-Belt-Bag.html

And well done on getting a job offer @MeiChanski ! That’s an achievement in itself! An hour in a bus isn’t so bad - time to read, chill, get your sugars in a good place and into the right frame of mind for the work ahead.

I was thinking about tailoring men’s trousers because of better pockets and better quality belt loops. Thank you!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on the job @MeiChanski an hours travelling these days for a job is nothing. It took me an hour at least to travel 10 miles coming home in rush hour. I know your levels are erratic. But remember the mantra, ‘I control my diabetes, it doesn’t control me!’ It will either work out or it won’t. You won’t know if you don’t try. Seize the day!

Reactions: MeiChanski

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You might have a locker to keep your stuff in? That way everything back up can be in there. When I was working I didn’t have a CGM yet, so my meter, insulin etc was in my purse in my locker that I could easily get to if needed. I would carry a small amount of hypo treatment on your person and if you have a reader that would be better to carry than your phone? It’s just when you are dealing with the public, they will think you are checking your phone for texts etc versus your BG. So if you use your phone to check your BG be very discreet and make sure you don’t use your phone for other things when working.