1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Manfer87

Manfer87 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey @helensaramay

I think that's a great question to ask, would be interesting to know how everyone is different.

In my working life (so about 16-17 years) I think I've had maybe 2-3 occasions where just my diabetes has impacted my work. but both were many many years ago & during a time when I did not want to even acknowledge I had T1D, let alone manage it.

In recent years I found I suffer badly from illnesses that seem to go to the extreme with help from the diabetes. But I do not have any incidents purely diabetes related.

For example in the past 2 years I have had Tonsillitis 3 times, Bronchitis & Sinusitis, about 5 nasty chest infections & Pneumonia twice.
    My first encounter of Pneumonia also caused a DKA!

These have all caused me to have time off work :doctor:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello my dear friends,
    Monday is the day we like the least and diabetes not too shabby at 7.5.

My attendance for sixth form and university have been below average due to hypos and a few accidents - I think I was in 40-45% of the time. But I did pretty well for my first year of university but then it went down hill from there. However between my diabetes diagnosis and the first 3 years of secondary school, I was in above average 80-90%, despite DKA, flu, stomach troubles and depression. I was in 95% of the time when I went to college to do Access to HE law, I had a fantastic teacher and I met my best friend there. She is quite prone to being unwell, so when she was off sick I would collect all the material I did that day and give it to her and she would do the same for me as well. I enjoyed my time at college, I averaged in everything but hey, no one else knew Karl Marx when the teacher had his face on the powerpoint slide in prep to start political ideologies. I was like "oh my friend, Karl Marx!" :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Manfer87

Manfer87 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks so much @helensaramay

I know that a rubbish immune system is all part of the package & therefore I just have to deal with what happens the best I can.
    But it can be difficult, especially when I only started my new job 1 year ago & I've already had 3 major absences from work :(
    And last November (I forgot to mention this one lol) I missed 3 nights in Rome due to the Flu.

But I am here, I bounce back & pick up where I left off :D

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MeiChanski

Could I ask how does everyone speak to someone who is facing diabetes burn out? I don't really know what to say, I'm more of a partially honest, partially light hearted person and I know it's not a funny situation to be giggling in. But I rather the person didn't feel like it doom and gloom.

5. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@helensaramay am retired 4 years and in the 2 years I was at work following diagnosis didn’t take time off. Always up earlier than need be to ensure I was fit to drive. If too high treated it as the day went on. There were two other Type 1s on the staff and they never took time off either. I know one wearing a pump often had issues with the pump causing high numbers. She just laughed it off and carried on. We worked with young children needing support in class.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Never had me mri head scan as i wouldnt take libre off as i only put it on on saturday so wasnt prepared to waste it so im going bk when sensor ends

• Hug Hug x 5
  7. MeiChanski

I got another deep sigh for you all, my pharmacy again has problems trying to get fiasp. :grumpy:
    I placed my order about a week ago but they told me to ring them tomorrow to ask.

• Hug Hug x 2
  8. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That’s a lot to cram in over the course of a weekend. Sounds like everyone ended up on the right side of happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@helensaramay . Lost days due to diabetes.
    As best my memory will serve me I think it’s 3 or 4 days due solely to nighttime hypos back in the early days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Yes have an absolutely great time @porl69 !

• Like Like x 1
  11. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

@porl69 .....can currently see Turkey from our hotel here in Kos.....just across the water.....hope you have a great time.....weather is beautiful with wall to wall sunshine, cloudless blue skies and a gentle breeze....just perfect:)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Freshly smoked pork belly cubes on my veggies tonight, a smoked mackerel salad, the smoked goose breast is already long gone, and likely more pork belly and mackerel as a midnight snack.
    I am so lucky with my neighbour!

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@helensaramay
    Days of due to D? None. I get up early enough to try to fix the worst sugar issues before eating/driving. There is little peace at home so I’m generally better off heading into work and thinking about other things.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Dangerous thing, this moving all the furniture and white goods, so floors and carpets can be cleaned, washed, hoovered as appropriate. It worked a touch too efficiently on the blood sugars. Back to more normal levels now! I'm sure the usual post evening meal walk would've been less hazardous, but it's wet out there and has been since just before I left work.

Young Vampire has concluded I'm OK really, even if I'm as bad as Dear Mama about insisting hypo fixes are consumed there and then, injections are to be self-administered and I'm not to be coaxed into doing it unnecessarily, and the Meds Bag with the Stuff in has to go everywhere, no matter what. On a good day, I might just be persuaded to share some of my Pepsi Max, another shared vice along with our vampire tendencies.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@helensaramay - I changed my job soon after diagnosis as I quickly realised I couldn’t cope with numerous meetings and managing my newly found t1 status, I think its safe to say I was heading for a breakdown, since changing jobs i’ve only taken time off for appointments and if hypo at work I just shut my office door and sort myself out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Juicyj

Staff Member

I don’t normally do brag posts but as i’ve had a period over the past few weeks of not getting into range as much as i’d like, have finally got a chart with 24 hours of ‘in range’ numbers, something that I think i’ll stick up on my wall to remind myself that it can be done..

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  17. karen8967

Good morning have a good day everyone brollies at the ready

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It is soooo dark!
    Grandson day, back still a pain, literally! Bloods good hurrah! Have a good wet day all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Juicyj

Staff Member

I sometimes think when people are having a hard time it’s best to just be there for them so they don’t feel alone and let them speak, sometimes all it takes is for someone to listen to help them realise what’s going on and see a way forward. With burnout it’s about coping every day rather than dealing with the t1 mountain which is over whelming.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. karen8967

FB_IMG_1560869173884.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook