Type 1'stars R Us

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@porl69 I had the impression you have been on holiday count down for some months :)
I know I would be. If I ever booked a holiday months in advance.

If you are still counting down, I will assume you did not book through Thomas Cook. I feel for those guys ... especially families

Its been booked since November :)
Oh yeah, I would be devastated if it had been with Thomas Cook. Cant imagine the dissapointment on the families who are due to fly in the next few days. We flew with Monarch when they went bust. If I remember correctly we flew out on the Tuesday and they went bust on the Wednesday!

Reactions: hh1

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Just remembered a conversation I had with himself which, maybe, you can help with.

He has a guy working for him who has type 1 diabetes which can be great because himself knows a lot through me but can be less good because he only knows about type 1 through me - a sample of 1.
This guy seems to manage his diabetes ok when he is at work (no hypos, etc.) but seems to have a lot of time off work due to diabetes "problems" - got up and BG too high, got up and BG too low, forgot to take basal insulin last night, took bolus instead of basal last night, ...
In all the time himself has known me, I have not taken any time off work due to diabetes problems.
But I am a bit of a freak of nature (what other adult tried on a hat for 4 to 8 year olds at the weekend and found it fitted perfectly?) so perhaps not the typical example of someone with type 1.

So, my question, is, excluding hospital appointments and when you were first diagnosed, how many days do take off work/school/uni/college each year due to diabetes problems?
I am definitely not judging (or boasting) - I am trying to get an idea of what is "normal".

Thanks.

Apart from the usual 6 monthly check up and DSN appointments in the past 10 years I have not had a day off due to my diabetes. I may be a freak too :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I never took time off. I made all doctors appointments on my days off. If I forgot to take my basal I gave myself more bolus at work. I always carried my bolus with me, but a couple of times it was almost out and then I just didn’t eat much.

I always just adjusted whatever I needed to and if I had a rotten night I dealt with it as any other person has rotten nights. No one even knew I was a diabetic up until the last couple of years and then only a few.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Helen - I did work from home one day due to taking bolus insulin instead of basal first thing which was probably in the last year or so but never taken anytime off for diabetes per say. Thats the only time ever in 20+ years - A freak too! (other than at diagnosis close to DKA)

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just remembered a conversation I had with himself which, maybe, you can help with.

He has a guy working for him who has type 1 diabetes which can be great because himself knows a lot through me but can be less good because he only knows about type 1 through me - a sample of 1.
This guy seems to manage his diabetes ok when he is at work (no hypos, etc.) but seems to have a lot of time off work due to diabetes "problems" - got up and BG too high, got up and BG too low, forgot to take basal insulin last night, took bolus instead of basal last night, ...
In all the time himself has known me, I have not taken any time off work due to diabetes problems.
But I am a bit of a freak of nature (what other adult tried on a hat for 4 to 8 year olds at the weekend and found it fitted perfectly?) so perhaps not the typical example of someone with type 1.

So, my question, is, excluding hospital appointments and when you were first diagnosed, how many days do take off work/school/uni/college each year due to diabetes problems?
I am definitely not judging (or boasting) - I am trying to get an idea of what is "normal".

Thanks.

Hey @helensaramay

I think that's a great question to ask, would be interesting to know how everyone is different.

In my working life (so about 16-17 years) I think I've had maybe 2-3 occasions where just my diabetes has impacted my work. but both were many many years ago & during a time when I did not want to even acknowledge I had T1D, let alone manage it.

In recent years I found I suffer badly from illnesses that seem to go to the extreme with help from the diabetes. But I do not have any incidents purely diabetes related.

For example in the past 2 years I have had Tonsillitis 3 times, Bronchitis & Sinusitis, about 5 nasty chest infections & Pneumonia twice.
My first encounter of Pneumonia also caused a DKA!

These have all caused me to have time off work :doctor:

Reactions: Juicyj and porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello my dear friends,
Monday is the day we like the least and diabetes not too shabby at 7.5.

My attendance for sixth form and university have been below average due to hypos and a few accidents - I think I was in 40-45% of the time. But I did pretty well for my first year of university but then it went down hill from there. However between my diabetes diagnosis and the first 3 years of secondary school, I was in above average 80-90%, despite DKA, flu, stomach troubles and depression. I was in 95% of the time when I went to college to do Access to HE law, I had a fantastic teacher and I met my best friend there. She is quite prone to being unwell, so when she was off sick I would collect all the material I did that day and give it to her and she would do the same for me as well. I enjoyed my time at college, I averaged in everything but hey, no one else knew Karl Marx when the teacher had his face on the powerpoint slide in prep to start political ideologies. I was like "oh my friend, Karl Marx!" :hilarious:

Reactions: Manfer87

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Manfer87 I don't know whether to like your response because you have answered my question, mark it as informative, give you a hug because you've been through the wars in the past 2 years or mark you as a winner because you have survived whatever your body has thrown at you.
So I went for Optimistic, hoping things are on the way up.

Thanks so much @helensaramay

I know that a rubbish immune system is all part of the package & therefore I just have to deal with what happens the best I can.
But it can be difficult, especially when I only started my new job 1 year ago & I've already had 3 major absences from work :(
And last November (I forgot to mention this one lol) I missed 3 nights in Rome due to the Flu.

But I am here, I bounce back & pick up where I left off :D

Reactions: Juicyj

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask how does everyone speak to someone who is facing diabetes burn out? I don't really know what to say, I'm more of a partially honest, partially light hearted person and I know it's not a funny situation to be giggling in. But I rather the person didn't feel like it doom and gloom.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay am retired 4 years and in the 2 years I was at work following diagnosis didn’t take time off. Always up earlier than need be to ensure I was fit to drive. If too high treated it as the day went on. There were two other Type 1s on the staff and they never took time off either. I know one wearing a pump often had issues with the pump causing high numbers. She just laughed it off and carried on. We worked with young children needing support in class.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had me mri head scan as i wouldnt take libre off as i only put it on on saturday so wasnt prepared to waste it so im going bk when sensor ends

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got another deep sigh for you all, my pharmacy again has problems trying to get fiasp. :grumpy:
I placed my order about a week ago but they told me to ring them tomorrow to ask.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cartridges were getting near the end and I think had lost a bit of potency - both pens have now been changed and I cautiously knocked the novorapid back one for breakfast this morning.

Another glorious saturday morning at my daughters football, and they drew 1-1 - a tight game and very frustrating to watch, then went and had a look at a couple of cars, wifes car is in need of replacing......we might make a decision by end of next year at this rate! BBQ saturday evening (had to make the most of the last bit of 'summer') - Sunday didn't do a lot, cooked breakfast, dog walk, internet car browsing, wifes friend came around and she can chat for England (well Wales really as she's Welsh), watched F1 in peace as daughter needed picking up from swimming and then the 3 girls went shopping and dog walking while it was on, cooked dinner, ate, drank, spent nice evening all together, then dog walk and bed basically. And as I said BGs were a bit on the high side.
That’s a lot to cram in over the course of a weekend. Sounds like everyone ended up on the right side of happy.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay . Lost days due to diabetes.
As best my memory will serve me I think it’s 3 or 4 days due solely to nighttime hypos back in the early days.

Reactions: porl69

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@porl69 .....can currently see Turkey from our hotel here in Kos.....just across the water.....hope you have a great time.....weather is beautiful with wall to wall sunshine, cloudless blue skies and a gentle breeze....just perfect:)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Freshly smoked pork belly cubes on my veggies tonight, a smoked mackerel salad, the smoked goose breast is already long gone, and likely more pork belly and mackerel as a midnight snack.
I am so lucky with my neighbour!

71694661_10218560721043593_8046114964080951296_n.jpg

Reactions: Juicyj

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dangerous thing, this moving all the furniture and white goods, so floors and carpets can be cleaned, washed, hoovered as appropriate. It worked a touch too efficiently on the blood sugars. Back to more normal levels now! I'm sure the usual post evening meal walk would've been less hazardous, but it's wet out there and has been since just before I left work.

Young Vampire has concluded I'm OK really, even if I'm as bad as Dear Mama about insisting hypo fixes are consumed there and then, injections are to be self-administered and I'm not to be coaxed into doing it unnecessarily, and the Meds Bag with the Stuff in has to go everywhere, no matter what. On a good day, I might just be persuaded to share some of my Pepsi Max, another shared vice along with our vampire tendencies.

Reactions: hh1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@helensaramay - I changed my job soon after diagnosis as I quickly realised I couldn’t cope with numerous meetings and managing my newly found t1 status, I think its safe to say I was heading for a breakdown, since changing jobs i’ve only taken time off for appointments and if hypo at work I just shut my office door and sort myself out.

Reactions: Marie 2