Type 1'stars R Us

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just remembered a conversation I had with himself which, maybe, you can help with.

He has a guy working for him who has type 1 diabetes which can be great because himself knows a lot through me but can be less good because he only knows about type 1 through me - a sample of 1.
This guy seems to manage his diabetes ok when he is at work (no hypos, etc.) but seems to have a lot of time off work due to diabetes "problems" - got up and BG too high, got up and BG too low, forgot to take basal insulin last night, took bolus instead of basal last night, ...
In all the time himself has known me, I have not taken any time off work due to diabetes problems.
But I am a bit of a freak of nature (what other adult tried on a hat for 4 to 8 year olds at the weekend and found it fitted perfectly?) so perhaps not the typical example of someone with type 1.

So, my question, is, excluding hospital appointments and when you were first diagnosed, how many days do take off work/school/uni/college each year due to diabetes problems?
I am definitely not judging (or boasting) - I am trying to get an idea of what is "normal".

Thanks.

None..
But then I can count about 14 days "normal" sickness since leaving school (in 1983?) & starting gainful employment.
That includes the time in A&E after slicing my wrist with an angle grinder & becoming infected a number of months back & getting sent home for the rest of the week when I showed up to work in the late 1980s with chicken pox.. I wasn't contagious by then, lol they just didn't like looking at the spots?

The "D stuff?" I wake up in good time to sort it out (along with anything else.) before setting off for work.
I pride myself on punctuality & work ethic. Even when doing the gigs..

Having said that, I've had the odd day working with a colleague still drunk from the night before whilst I wrestle with a hypo. I love a "challenge.."

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Wow. Work is sure consuming. I miss reading everyone's supportive posts. I miss my nightly glass of red wine that I indulged in over the holidays. I'm trying to drink water in a wine glass as a substitute, but it isn't working. But it was a bad habit to start, which I am pleased to break if I'm honest. I need to go running. I can sit my water-wine glass next to my running machine. Here goes nothing. Have a great evening.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I have purchased a pair of garters - I must say they are pretty sexy, :D and a belt for the pump - it's not specifically designed for a pump, but it can fit one in there along with other things and according to reviews, nothing slips or slides. I've received a letter for a flu jab so that will be on my schedule somewhere.
Has anyone encountered any scary stories with the insulin pump? I read an article that was published in March (I think) and a man who is type 1 with a pump had to take his wife to court because she pressed extra units on his pump remote. Her reason was the argument triggered her to pick up his remote, delivery extra bolus units and hide the remote. He had to go to the hospital because of the extra units. I think it was like an extra 24 units of insulin. :eek:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I have purchased a pair of garters - I must say they are pretty sexy, :D and a belt for the pump - it's not specifically designed for a pump, but it can fit one in there along with other things and according to reviews, nothing slips or slides. I've received a letter for a flu jab so that will be on my schedule somewhere.
Has anyone encountered any scary stories with the insulin pump? I read an article that was published in March (I think) and a man who is type 1 with a pump had to take his wife to court because she pressed extra units on his pump remote. Her reason was the argument triggered her to pick up his remote, delivery extra bolus units and hide the remote. He had to go to the hospital because of the extra units. I think it was like an extra 24 units of insulin. :eek:
Not harder than injecting some insulin while someone is sleeping, and with pens it's much harder to prove too. So I guess if your boyfriend had plans in that direction he would've already done it so I suppose you can feel safe on that account!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not harder than injecting some insulin while someone is sleeping, and with pens it's much harder to prove too. So I guess if your boyfriend had plans in that direction he would've already done it so I suppose you can feel safe on that account!
You know, after reading that article, I did straight up ask him. :hilarious::hilarious: He said he won't murder me. I think with the female, there must be something deeper than the hate she had for her husband. I mean sometimes I dislike my bf, but I wouldn't go to the extent of murdering him. But if he kept me up all night for 3 days straight, something in me might snap. :rolleyes:
Oh yes I can imagine murdering someone by using their injection pen is harder to prove. I think we'll keep that to ourselves, we don't want our loved ones getting any ideas. :hilarious:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You know, after reading that article, I did straight up ask him. :hilarious::hilarious: He said he won't murder me. I think with the female, there must be something deeper than the hate she had for her husband. I mean sometimes I dislike my bf, but I wouldn't go to the extent of murdering him. But if he kept me up all night for 3 days straight, something in me might snap. :rolleyes:
Oh yes I can imagine murdering someone by using their injection pen is harder to prove. I think we'll keep that to ourselves, we don't want our loved ones getting any ideas. :hilarious:
Might explain those night-time hypos? (Sorry)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Putting the NICE guidelines to one side, could I ask if a type 1 doesn't handle their condition well, could they be considered for pumps and CGMs? Or is it too risky because of the lack of testing and monitoring etc.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@ert I like to pour lime seltzer water or a fresh slice of lemon or lime in seltzer water into a wine glass. I enjoy it off and on and it gives it that special touch!

I started doing that as a way to use my wine glasses because I have never been a wine drinker!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@ert @Marie 2 I've tried the water/wine glass thingy and it didn't work for me
I love wine and drink it everyday, don't mind where it's from but my all-time fave is Conde Valdemar for a red but this is for special occasions
Rose is too easy to drink but just love a nice Cotes de Provence

Madam BG 4.8 this morning at silly o'clock
Hope the weather is better for everyone going to work

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My sister used to know the different kinds of wines and never understood my dislike. When I was first married she kept trying to give us different ones in the hopes I guess I would like one of them. I never did. Lol, there was a chocolate wine that my hubby brought home a couple of times that I mixed with soy milk that I enjoyed but it made me sleepy and I didn’t have any issue with sleep back then. I was just never was an alcohol drinker. Lol anyone remember BoonesFarm Apple or Strawberry wine?

Reactions: SueJB and ert

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning guy's & girls :)

Woke up with high BG this morning, but it is coming down nicely now!
I hope everyone is well?!

I have a Libre related question .. .. ..
A few of you mentioned you apply your new sensor 24 hours before you're due to start using it. Would it just be a case of apply it & leave it alone until you remove the old sensor. Or do you scan it? :D

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

A few of you mentioned you apply your new sensor 24 hours before you're due to start using it. Would it just be a case of apply it & leave it alone until you remove the old sensor. Or do you scan it? :D
I leave it - so apply when the old one is a day from ending.

Reactions: Manfer87

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all

@MeiChanski not a horror pump story BUT many years ago when I was married, we were having a row and the ex-wife said she could always put bleach into my insulin vials and I would never know! Needless to say my insulin was moved into the fridge in work!!!!!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

hi manfer87 dont scan it as that would end the sensor you already have on x

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BGs been good - what may even be better is my niece has just started working at Abbott - as her boyfriend is also T1 I'm sure she's only in it for the staff discount..........and that she remembers her good o' uncle.........:nailbiting::hilarious: