Type 1 Getting a cold!

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I think I’m getting the cold symptoms and already noticed spikes in my sugar levels. Does that happen to slot of people? Sugar going high or low wen having a cold.
Another thing I want to ask is what are the first symptoms many of you have when getting a cold because I’m denying I’m getting one lol and my family have said your definitely getting one so a big debate!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Getting a cold will cause your levels to rise as your body produces glucose in response to the infection, so yes it's a sign of something going on, I know i'm getting one when I feel a bit more tired than usual and of course the runny nose...:depressed:

Reactions: Saeeda

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, if you're ill you need more insulin. Just keep testing and correcting. If you go high and can't get your levels down then check for ketones. a case of flu can lead to DKA if you're not careful.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I think I’m getting the cold symptoms and already noticed spikes in my sugar levels. Does that happen to slot of people? Sugar going high or low wen having a cold.
Another thing I want to ask is what are the first symptoms many of you have when getting a cold because I’m denying I’m getting one lol and my family have said your definitely getting one so a big debate!

I don't know yet if having a cold would spike my bg, but symptoms I'm about to get one is successive sneezings, and/or a "tickling" sensation at my throat. I take a cold med right away.

I notice that taking a supplement of vitamin C helps to prevent easily catching cold.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies they all make so much sense!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh that’s interesting, Mel. How long do you have to take them in order for it to be effective?
I’m not sure to be honest. I guess it depends on your individual body. It was recommended to me by one of my lecturers.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take zinc lozenges to prevent colds - they stop the rhinovirus from breaching the cells walls in the throat (where they then multiply and spread) which is where colds tend to start.

See this paper from 1983: https://aac.asm.org/content/aac/25/1/20.full.pdf

I agree with zinc for immune system support, for years (from before I was diagnosed with diabetes) I have taken a vitamin C and zinc supplement daily. I used to get three or four heavy colds each winter, since the Vit C and zinc, I rarely get a cold and if I do it’s way less bothersome.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi just keep monitoring your BG's, you may need a little more insulin and drink plenty of fluids.
Take care.