1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Getting a cold!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Saeeda, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Saeeda

Saeeda Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I think I’m getting the cold symptoms and already noticed spikes in my sugar levels. Does that happen to slot of people? Sugar going high or low wen having a cold.
    Another thing I want to ask is what are the first symptoms many of you have when getting a cold because I’m denying I’m getting one lol and my family have said your definitely getting one so a big debate!

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Getting a cold will cause your levels to rise as your body produces glucose in response to the infection, so yes it's a sign of something going on, I know i'm getting one when I feel a bit more tired than usual and of course the runny nose...:depressed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, if you're ill you need more insulin. Just keep testing and correcting. If you go high and can't get your levels down then check for ketones. a case of flu can lead to DKA if you're not careful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. angustia

angustia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know yet if having a cold would spike my bg, but symptoms I'm about to get one is successive sneezings, and/or a "tickling" sensation at my throat. I take a cold med right away.

I notice that taking a supplement of vitamin C helps to prevent easily catching cold.

#4 angustia, Sep 27, 2019 at 11:34 AM
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  5. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I take zinc lozenges to prevent colds - they stop the rhinovirus from breaching the cells walls in the throat (where they then multiply and spread) which is where colds tend to start.

See this paper from 1983: https://aac.asm.org/content/aac/25/1/20.full.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh that’s interesting, Mel. How long do you have to take them in order for it to be effective?

7. Saeeda

Saeeda Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies they all make so much sense!

8. LooperCat

I’m not sure to be honest. I guess it depends on your individual body. It was recommended to me by one of my lecturers.

9. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are they ok fir diabetes? Just thinking lozenge is usually sweet

10. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with zinc for immune system support, for years (from before I was diagnosed with diabetes) I have taken a vitamin C and zinc supplement daily. I used to get three or four heavy colds each winter, since the Vit C and zinc, I rarely get a cold and if I do it’s way less bothersome.

11. LooperCat

You can also get a spray. My lozenges have sucrose in, so I just add a little insulin to my usual foot on the floor dose to cover them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi just keep monitoring your BG's, you may need a little more insulin and drink plenty of fluids.
    Take care.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook