Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any thoughts on pain management anyone?
The antibiotics say be careful with high doses of paracetamol, so I lowered paracetamol from 4 times 1000mg to 4 times 500 mg and 4 times 400mg of ibuprofen.

The effect of those painkillers wears off after 4 to 5 hours and I have to wait 6 hours for my next dose, which means 4 times almost 2 hours of very hard to ignore pain.

So any tips and tricks are very welcome, I had no clue a sore arm could be this disturbing.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, @slip and @Marie 2 . I guess you would call this an inflammation then. In Dutch it's the same word for infection or inflammation (ontsteking).

Hey @Antje77 , I get it.. :) Makes sense to me!

An Infection refers to the invasion and multiplication of a pathogen within the body, while inflammation is the body's protective response against infection. Or some sort of injury.?

Hope yer wrist sorts out soon..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The antibiotics say be careful with high doses of paracetamol, so I lowered paracetamol from 4 times 1000mg to 4 times 500 mg and 4 times 400mg of ibuprofen.

The effect of those painkillers wears off after 4 to 5 hours and I have to wait 6 hours for my next dose, which means 4 times almost 2 hours of very hard to ignore pain.

So any tips and tricks are very welcome, I had no clue a sore arm could be this disturbing.

Antje - I'm not trying to be alarmist, but i don't care for paracetamol at all. In my view, it can be too easy to take a bit much, if pain is bad and (if the person is unlucky) end up with significant liver issues. That thinking is coloured by the experience of a family fried, so pretty extreme.

If your pain is bad enough that you're clock-watching for your meds (and I'm certainly not challenging you that it is), then it could be worth seeing your doc for something a bit more potent for a few days.

The thing about pain is it's a sign to us that something isn't right. Are you managing to find a position that's comfortable to your wrist, that allows you to rest it?

It sounds like you're really going through the wars on this one.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry to tell you this. But the typing on a forum may not help? Regardless of using a desktop keyboard or holding a device & thumbs??

I can't advise on what sort of painkillers to take. You would need to consult your doc or pharmacist regarding the antibiotic use & pain killers. (Some of which I believe work as an anti inflammatory?)

Another option could be cross referencing the effects of "CBD" as a possible option regarding your pain quandary...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Antje - I'm not trying to be alarmist, but i don't care for paracetamol at all. In my view, it can be too easy to take a bit much, if pain is bad and (if the person is unlucky) end up with significant liver issues. That thinking is coloured by the experience of a family fried, so pretty extreme.
Thank you for the warning! Not enough people know that with paracetamol there isn't much wriggle room above the max dose before it gets dangerous. I do know, which is the reason for the clock watching as not to go over the max dose.
Theoretically I should have some leeway because of my weight, but on the other hand, I like a drink or two, so I'm not going to gamble with my liver, I'm quite attached to it.
I'm sorry your family friend had to find out the bad way.
it could be worth seeing your doc for something a bit more potent for a few days.
Agree! But as it is 9PM right now I was hoping for some tricks to manage it tonight and get more than 5 hours of sleep...
Are you managing to find a position that's comfortable to your wrist, that allows you to rest it?
I do in the first hours after painkillers but definitely not in the last :sour:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to tell you this. But the typing on a forum may not help? Regardless of using a desktop keyboard or holding a device & thumbs??
Haha, it's a desk top and I hardly think typing with my left index finger will make my right wrist worse :hilarious:
Another option could be cross referencing the effects of "CBD" as a possible option regarding your pain quandary...
I've already contemplated going by my neighbour to ask if he has something to smoke laying around (mind, it's legal here, and there's CBD in there too) but decided I'm woozy enough already from the pain/antibiotics/ibuprofen/lack of sleep. For the oil I'd have to do some city driving, which requires changing gears frequently, no thanks. Very happy I can reach my GP and local supermarket using only second and fourth gear!
Would've been worth a shot otherwise :) Hopefully the antibiotics will make a change already tomorrow!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the warning! Not enough people know that with paracetamol there isn't much wriggle room above the max dose before it gets dangerous. I do know, which is the reason for the clock watching as not to go over the max dose.
Theoretically I should have some leeway because of my weight, but on the other hand, I like a drink or two, so I'm not going to gamble with my liver, I'm quite attached to it.
I'm sorry your family friend had to find out the bad way.

Agree! But as it is 9PM right now I was hoping for some tricks to manage it tonight and get more than 5 hours of sleep...

I do in the first hours after painkillers but definitely not in the last :sour:

Our friend is not just one, but two transplants in, and not yet 40.

To be clear her story is a bit complex, she was naive and she did get very unlucky, but it surely made an impact on me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Our friend is not just one, but two transplants in, and not yet 40.

To be clear her story is a bit complex, she was naive and she did get very unlucky, but it surely made an impact on me.
Yuck, that's a bad story. Will tell my friends. Today I have explained to 3 of them one doesn't mess with paracetamol doses. Looks like I was right :(

Reactions: Marie 2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha, it's a desk top and I hardly think typing with my left index finger will make my right wrist worse :hilarious:

I've already contemplated going by my neighbour to ask if he has something to smoke laying around (mind, it's legal here, and there's CBD in there too) but decided I'm woozy enough already from the pain/antibiotics/ibuprofen/lack of sleep. For the oil I'd have to do some city driving, which requires changing gears frequently, no thanks. Very happy I can reach my GP and local supermarket using only second and fourth gear!
Would've been worth a shot otherwise :) Hopefully the antibiotics will make a change already tomorrow!

I appreciate it is tolerated in your part of the world. But your quite right, never operate machinary under it's influence..

Lol, I also forgot you have a left hand drive vehicle. ;) I could recommend an auto-gearbox?? :D

Lucky when I gashed my wrist a while back, the "steering wheel was on the wrong side of the car.." :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, I also forgot you have a left hand drive vehicle. ;) I could recommend an auto-gearbox?? :D
Did that 2 years ago, when my right hand was pretty badly hurt. I called up a good friend and told him we were going to swap cars for a week or 2. So we did :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did that 2 years ago, when my right hand was pretty badly hurt. I called up a good friend and told him we were going to swap cars for a week or 2. So we did :)

How did you get on with the flappy spare leg searching for the clutch & the wheel on the passenger side?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, something that did help for me was humming a song. When I broke my wrist, it wasn't normal looking and I couldn't use it properly. After the cast was removed, then the real pain started. Now, I was eventually diagnosed with CRPS and the pain was excruciating, I had to bite on a towel to stop the screaming, but, when an episode was coming to an end, I started to hum a song, Olly Murs, Dear Darling and very loud too, it did help a bit. I couldn't take the prescribed the Tramadol because it made me very sick.
It was a case of positive thinking, mind over matter, pushing through the pain and thinking of nicer, more comfortable/happy things, it will get better.
Take care x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How did you get on with the flappy spare leg searching for the clutch & the wheel on the passenger side?
The wheel was on the right side, which is of course the left one :)
The spare leg was more problematic as the brake was extra wide, so left leg pushing the clutch resulted in impressive sudden stops :p Hiding the left foot under your bum or with the roadmaps in the door helps. By the time you have found and freed the hidden foot you'll remember not to use it :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the things I am liking about this year is the rapid improving of my Makaton, as although I'd learned a lot, I'd never really used it consistently enough for it to become instinctive, though if I'm being really honest I can get by most of the time with the 5 essential signs of "Please", "Thank you", "Toilet", "Cake" and "Biscuit."

Plus this year's "Bloods" and "Injection" signs for Young Vampire.

Reactions: becca59 and hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask what does it take to be a diabetes consultant? A medical degree, MSc, phD and some experience?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 Have you tried off and on cold packs? Or some people respond better to heat. You can ask your doctor which is best for you to use. Sometimes they want you to use only a specific one.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask what does it take to be a diabetes consultant? A medical degree, MSc, phD and some experience?

oh............sounds like you've had a frustrating consultation?

@Antje77 hope the pain subsides soon, if it continues suggest you go back to the doc and ask for a Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drug - Naproxen (sp?) for example.

Whats everyones take on dosing and timing for couscous?

Reactions: hh1

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Well I know the reason, but I am being aggravated at having to raise my BG's to 8's to go snorkeling this afternoon. The snorkeling is worth it and I usually don't mind. But after having 2 days of struggling to control BG's that kept getting worse, I finally realized it was probably my pod causing the problem. When I replaced it I noticed it had been leaking. With the new one on I am skating along at a 5.2 all night and morning and even a couple of bites of pineapple and I only went to 5.9. So I am happy I am back to "normal" but unhappy that I have to now ruin that "normal".

Sigh, this should not be aggravating me. I am trying to knock some sense into myself about why I am getting aggravated over it. But it is because I am appreciating my good numbers being back.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sigh, this should not be aggravating me. I am trying to knock some sense into myself about why I am getting aggravated over it. But it is because I am appreciating my good numbers being back.
I would feel exactly the same, no matter knowing that the snorkeling is totally worth it!
Enjoy!