Newly diagnosed Hba1c Prediabetes

DaveH2

Hello everyone! I have just joined this forum today and am looking for some advice.

I have just be diagnosed with prediabetes, with an HbA1c level of 42 mmol/mol.

I am 48 years old and weigh 55kg (BMI 19.4 - healthy but at the lower end.) I’m not particularly active (I don’t take part in sports etc.) but I do walk a fair bit - since diagnosis, I have started briskly walking for 30-45 minutes each day. I am a moderate smoker and before my prediabetes diagnosis, I was already cutting down.

I am asthmatic and use Ventolin and Clenil inhalers. I also take folate tablets to raise my vitamin B9 levels.

I have a mixed diet that is reasonably good - ie a lot of home cooking, but once a week I may have a pizza or a burger, etc. I would be a liar if I said I managed my “5-a-day”

As I would imagine is the case with many people, I am somewhat overwhelmed and confused with what I have to do. I also appear to have symptoms that are worse than my HbA1c level would suggest (in my judgement.)

I’ll start with symptoms that may be caused by my condition.

Sleepiness/lack of energy. I sleep 8 hours per night, pretty much every night. Occasionally, I’ll have great difficulty in nodding off, but most of the time I’m OK. I don’t drink caffeine after 8pm. During the day, I never really wake up - I feel the same all day as when you do normally in the first 15 minutes of waking up. I also sleep during the day for between 1 and 4 hours - this could be in one go, or separated of 2 or 3 occasions.

Healing - cuts and sores take many months to heal - I have about 3 sores all behind my hairline, 1 of which hasn’t healed in months and 2 which haven’t healed in many years - a decade or more - these have been treated with medicated shampoo at the suggestion of my GP, but even prolonged use doesn’t make them fully heal.

Itching - Constant itchiness, particularly my upper back and chest, but also legs and arms - it’s the kind of itch that scratching doesn’t really fix - I can scratch and literally seconds later the itch is back.

Thirst and urination. I am pretty much constantly thirsty, which possibly leads to me needing to pee frequently - up to a dozen times a day and occasionally immediately after I have just been - ie within a minute. When I get the urge to pee, I need to go with some urgency. I need to get up in the night to pee and frequently wake up with a raging thirst. Occasionally, I also wake up in the night hungry in need of a small snack, such as a packet of crisps or a biscuit.

That’s the main symptoms, though I do also have a concern that some sexual dysfunction and potentially, blurred vision and hearing loss may be attributable to my diagnosis.

Do these symptoms correspond to my diagnosis? And where do I go from here?

Many thanks!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone! I have just joined this forum today and am looking for some advice.

I am 48 years old and weigh 55kg (BMI 19.4 - healthy but at the lower end.) I’m not particularly active (I don’t take part in sports etc.) but I do walk a fair bit - since diagnosis, I have started briskly walking for 30-45 minutes each day. I am a moderate smoker and before my prediabetes diagnosis, I was already cutting down.

I am asthmatic and use Ventolin and Clenil inhalers. I also take folate tablets to raise my vitamin B9 levels.

I have a mixed diet that is reasonably good - ie a lot of home cooking, but once a week I may have a pizza or a burger, etc. I would be a liar if I said I managed my “5-a-day”

As I would imagine is the case with many people, I am somewhat overwhelmed and confused with what I have to do. I also appear to have symptoms that are worse than my HbA1c level would suggest (in my judgement.)

Sleepiness/lack of energy. I sleep 8 hours per night, pretty much every night. Occasionally, I’ll have great difficulty in nodding off, but most of the time I’m OK. I don’t drink caffeine after 8pm. During the day, I never really wake up - I feel the same all day as when you do normally in the first 15 minutes of waking up. I also sleep during the day for between 1 and 4 hours - this could be in one go, or separated of 2 or 3 occasions.

Healing - cuts and sores take many months to heal - I have about 3 sores all behind my hairline, 1 of which hasn’t healed in months and 2 which haven’t healed in many years - a decade or more - these have been treated with medicated shampoo at the suggestion of my GP, but even prolonged use doesn’t make them fully heal.

Itching - Constant itchiness, particularly my upper back and chest, but also legs and arms - it’s the kind of itch that scratching doesn’t really fix - I can scratch and literally seconds later the itch is back.

Thirst and urination. I am pretty much constantly thirsty, which possibly leads to me needing to pee frequently - up to a dozen times a day and occasionally immediately after I have just been - ie within a minute. When I get the urge to pee, I need to go with some urgency. I need to get up in the night to pee and frequently wake up with a raging thirst. Occasionally, I also wake up in the night hungry in need of a small snack, such as a packet of crisps or a biscuit.

That’s the main symptoms, though I do also have a concern that some sexual dysfunction and potentially, blurred vision and hearing loss may be attributable to my diagnosis.

Many thanks!
I experienced the same. Symptoms that appeared to be greater than the HbA1c suggested. Some have doubted my diabetes status but the symptoms proved the condition. What’s more, LCHF reversed those symptoms.

Reactions: DaveH2

DaveH2

I experienced the same. Symptoms that appeared to be greater than the HbA1c suggested. Some have doubted my diabetes status but the symptoms proved the condition. What’s more, LCHF reversed those symptoms.

Many thanks!

I have never heard of the "low-carb, high-fat" diet - my GP did suggest cutting out white rice, potato, white bread etc., but didn't mention the fat side of things.

I don't suppose you could recommend any websites with foods/recipes that would comply with an LCHF diet?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ye gods, there are hundreds of sites out there, for pizza look up fat head dough. For Indian google headbangerskitchen. Google keto and anything you want for great ideas. Fab cheese snacks to keep you off the crisps. You just need to know what to sear for.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks!

I have never heard of the "low-carb, high-fat" diet - my GP did suggest cutting out white rice, potato, white bread etc., but didn't mention the fat side of things.

I don't suppose you could recommend any websites with foods/recipes that would comply with an LCHF diet?
I don’t use recipes a lot as I simply radically eliminate most carbs and replace them with healthy fats like full fat milk, cream cheeses, double cream, streaky bacon and nuts.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

DaveH2

Ye gods, there are hundreds of sites out there, for pizza look up fat head dough. For Indian google headbangerskitchen. Google keto and anything you want for great ideas. Fab cheese snacks to keep you off the crisps. You just need to know what to sear for.

Many thanks :)

I found this list which appears really helpful>>>

Foods to Avoid:

Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries.
Beans or legumes: Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbs.
Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar and unhealthy fat.
Unhealthy fats: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
Alcohol: Due to their carb content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
Sugar-free diet foods: These are often high in sugar alcohols, which can affect ketone levels in some cases. These foods also tend to be highly processed.

Foods to Eat:

Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken and turkey.
Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna and mackerel.
Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
Butter and cream: Look for grass-fed when possible.
Cheese: Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella).
Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc.
Healthy oils: Primarily extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oil.
Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
Condiments: You can use salt, pepper and various healthy herbs and spices.

DaveH2

Hi Rachox :)

Thanks for the dietdoctor link - it looks very useful :)

I've read the info for newly diagnosed diabetes and to be honest it is all a bit much to take in in one go! I'll keep dipping in as my understanding of the condition improves :)

Reactions: DJC3

DaveH2

I don’t use recipes a lot as I simply radically eliminate most carbs and replace them with healthy fats like full fat milk, cream cheeses, double cream, streaky bacon and nuts.

Thanks - I've found a list of foods to avoid and foods that will help :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox :)

Thanks for the dietdoctor link - it looks very useful :)

I've read the info for newly diagnosed diabetes and to be honest it is all a bit much to take in in one go! I'll keep dipping in as my understanding of the condition improves :)

It is a lot to take in but it’ll become second nature eventually. If you ever want to refer back to the useful info at anytime the link appears in all the moderators signatures :)

DaveH2

It is a lot to take in but it’ll become second nature eventually. If you ever want to refer back to the useful info at anytime the link appears in all the moderators signatures :)

Thanks!

One thing I can't find much about (except for the kind response from Listlad earlier on) is that I am confused as to why my symptoms are so severe (eg especially the sleep/tiredness part) when my readings aren't that bad - what happens to people who have much higher readings? Do they ever get out of bed?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks!

One thing I can't find much about (except for the kind response from Listlad earlier on) is that I am confused as to why my symptoms are so severe (eg especially the sleep/tiredness part) when my readings aren't that bad - what happens to people who have much higher readings? Do they ever get out of bed?

I think it varies very much from person to person. In my case I was diagnosed type 2 with an HbA1c of 70 :wideyed: , yet I hadn’t gone to the Dr with symptoms, I was caught on a routine annual check up for another health issue I have. It wasn’t til I improved my blood sugar levels and felt well, that I realised how unwell I had been feeling! I guess it had just crept up slowly?

DaveH2

I think it varies very much from person to person. In my case I was diagnosed type 2 with an HbA1c of 70 :wideyed: , yet I hadn’t gone to the Dr with symptoms, I was caught on a routine annual check up for another health issue I have. It wasn’t til I improved my blood sugar levels and felt well, that I realised how unwell I had been feeling! I guess it had just crept up slowly?

It kind of makes you wonder why they rely so much on blood sugar level readings and not the actual symptoms - if you can have next to no symptoms @ 70 and I can have severe symptoms @ 42. You'd think that treatment would be based on symptoms?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some symptoms for decades, but I never had a positive urine test - never have had one even though my level was 17.1 at the diagnostic blood test.
My diet was 'healthy' - a cholesterol lowering low fat low calorie high carb printout form the doctor - it wasn't working. I was almost spherical, low energy and feeling my age, and more.
Never have I felt right when not on a low carb diet, never lost weight, but always the drs and nurses hammered on about my not eating properly. I am omnivorous by nature - but the advances in agriculture over the last ten thousand years seem to have been wrong for me.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Many thanks!
Hey @DaveH2,

Yeah, those symptoms would be found in diabetics.... Especially the healing issue (I had pus running from my toes for years on end, and didn't know why). Some T2's have a high HBA1c and no symptoms whatsoever, for some it happens early on, like with you. Keep in mind, if you get your HbA1c back into the normal range, these symptoms should get a whole lot better, if not vanish completely. If they don't, get them investigated again. Can never be too careful.
The fatigue and brain fog, well... I blamed that on my thyroid, and kept tinkering with my medication trying to fix that. I didn't get out of bed much anymore, I just couldn't. Sometimes my legs would just give out, simply walking around in my own home. Mind you, I had prediabetic in my file, but no-one bothered to tell me, so it rather spun out of control, especially when the dietician advised me to up the carbs and drop the fats... I wasn't living, just existing, and grudgingly so. All in all there was a bunch of things going on all at the same time, so your story sounds very familiar.

The diet you're now learning about, LCHF, changed all that for me. Doctors are beginning to tell their patients to cut carbs, but they kind of don't dare tell people to up the fats while at it. Basically, if you eat a low carb diet, you'll have to up the fats, or go hungry! (Not to mention becoming deficient in vitamins and minerals).

The list you posted was pretty good, actually...! It takes some getting used to, but you will... And get your symptoms under control. Keep in mind the blurry vision might get worse for a bit, as your brain's been correcting for the distortion sugar was causing in your vision, and if you get your blood sugars down, it won't have to do that anymore. Get some cheap 2 pound reading glasses to tide you over for a week or two. ;)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help too.
Be good to yourself. And there's hope for you yet. Oh, one thing about the SD: might want to get your prostate checked, rather than just blaming absolutely everything on your sugar levels. It could well be your blood sugars, but better safe than sorry eh.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It kind of makes you wonder why they rely so much on blood sugar level readings and not the actual symptoms - if you can have next to no symptoms @ 70 and I can have severe symptoms @ 42. You'd think that treatment would be based on symptoms?
I tend to agree. Though it seems not all experience the same suite of symptoms. Or maybe they go unrecognised.

I ended up here on the forum mainly as I was exasperated at the symptoms and wanted a solution that I couldn’t find elsewhere.

Reactions: Paul-j and DaveH2

DaveH2

Hey @DaveH2,

Yeah, those symptoms would be found in diabetics.... Especially the healing issue (I had pus running from my toes for years on end, and didn't know why). Some T2's have a high HBA1c and no symptoms whatsoever, for some it happens early on, like with you. Keep in mind, if you get your HbA1c back into the normal range, these symptoms should get a whole lot better, if not vanish completely. If they don't, get them investigated again. Can never be too careful.
The fatigue and brain fog, well... I blamed that on my thyroid, and kept tinkering with my medication trying to fix that. I didn't get out of bed much anymore, I just couldn't. Sometimes my legs would just give out, simply walking around in my own home. Mind you, I had prediabetic in my file, but no-one bothered to tell me, so it rather spun out of control, especially when the dietician advised me to up the carbs and drop the fats... I wasn't living, just existing, and grudgingly so. All in all there was a bunch of things going on all at the same time, so your story sounds very familiar.

The diet you're now learning about, LCHF, changed all that for me. Doctors are beginning to tell their patients to cut carbs, but they kind of don't dare tell people to up the fats while at it. Basically, if you eat a low carb diet, you'll have to up the fats, or go hungry! (Not to mention becoming deficient in vitamins and minerals).

The list you posted was pretty good, actually...! It takes some getting used to, but you will... And get your symptoms under control. Keep in mind the blurry vision might get worse for a bit, as your brain's been correcting for the distortion sugar was causing in your vision, and if you get your blood sugars down, it won't have to do that anymore. Get some cheap 2 pound reading glasses to tide you over for a week or two. ;)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help too.
Be good to yourself. And there's hope for you yet. Oh, one thing about the SD: might want to get your prostate checked, rather than just blaming absolutely everything on your sugar levels. It could well be your blood sugars, but better safe than sorry eh.
Thanks for all that info! There's a lot to learn ...

DaveH2

Just a quick update :)
I have been on a LCHF diet now for 6 days! My total carbs for those 6 days is just shy of 300g.

My sleep patterns have changed already. from sleeping 12-14 hours combined normal nighttime sleep and afternoon naps, I'm down to 8 hours at night ONLY. I haven't needed an afternoon nap for 3 days. I generally feel more awake all the time and have vastly more energy.

Am I reading too much into it or will a change in diet really have such a drastic effect so rapidly?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick update :)
I have been on a LCHF diet now for 6 days! My total carbs for those 6 days is just shy of 300g.

My sleep patterns have changed already. from sleeping 12-14 hours combined normal nighttime sleep and afternoon naps, I'm down to 8 hours at night ONLY. I haven't needed an afternoon nap for 3 days. I generally feel more awake all the time and have vastly more energy.

Am I reading too much into it or will a change in diet really have such a drastic effect so rapidly?

I believe these quick changes are entirely possible and sustainable if you maintain the low carb diet. Well done!

DaveH2

I believe these quick changes are entirely possible and sustainable if you maintain the low carb diet. Well done!

Blinkin' flip!

That's incredible. I've struggled with energy/tiredness for years and years and years. I am a tottaly different person today, compared to only a week ago.

I'm full of go and the house has never looked so spotless :) :) :)

Fingers crossed this is what was causing it!

Reactions: Rachox