Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If online pharmacy can get hold of Fiasp, then I’ll give them so much praise. Because that insulin is incredibly hard to get :(

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski That’s shocking, as you say you can’t be the only diabetic in the area prescribed it and it’s not like it keeps us alive or anything...

I’m hoping to be changed from Novosluggish to Fiasp next week too.

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski That’s shocking, as you say you can’t be the only diabetic in the area prescribed it and it’s not like it keeps us alive or anything...

I’m hoping to be changed from Novosluggish to Fiasp next week too.

It is indeed shocking, I remember last time my bf and I spent a few hours phoning each and every pharmacy, from big named to small named pharmacies asking for it to only be told they don’t stock it. So I don’t know how consultants are prescribing it and not knowing that some pharmacies can’t provide it. I’m giving online pharmacy a try, if they can’t get it then I’ll have to contact my team to say this drug is harder to get than limited edition yeezys.

Oh nice, Fiasp is good stuff :)

Reactions: Marie 2

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many pharmacists don't stock that much insulin anyway - it does have a shelf life, but they'll order it in as and when and usually they'll say they can have it in 24-48 hrs - but sometimes their supplier can struggle to get it (what with Brexit) will get it and usually within 2 weeks @MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many pharmacists don't stock that much insulin anyway - it does have a shelf life, but they'll order it in as and when and usually they'll say they can have it in 24-48 hrs - but sometimes their supplier can struggle to get it (what with Brexit) will get it and usually within 2 weeks @MeiChanski

That was the issue, pharmacies tried to order it but their supplier couldn’t get it. It’s been like that for a while with pharmacies in my area that don’t stock it or their supplier can’t get it. I don’t know if it’s brexit because this was even before Boris Johnson rolled himself in. I was able to get Fiasp from the hospital and from my pharmacy but there after I couldn’t get it. If pharmacies told me they can order it in, I don’t mind waiting but they’ve tried and couldn’t get any. Unfortunately I’ve been without Fiasp because of this mess.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We’re practicing taking blood sugars today. Handily mine came in at a perfect 5.1 :D

Claire 64

Hb1ac has been in 9to 10 range for about 5years so I decided to sort myself out. Prof changed to Fiasp and Toujeo. My calculation about 8g to 1 unit seems to work OK for Fiasp. Makes a big change from having to lug mars bars and lucozade everytime I go for my daily 5 km walk. Wonderful not diving down to 2.5 in the afternoon and twitching and rolling about in the gutter. That's with Novorapid(I suppose it depends where you stick it how rapid it is!!! The Toujeo seems more even and long lasting with about 17 units. Much better than the 1970 s when you only had 1 injection that came in 4 hourly waves whether you were near food or not. Which is why I will continue to carry supplies with me. I dot miss the old glass and steel syringe with the 1 and half inch needle(3 cm for people born after 1975 when I was 21!!)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski Have you asked your surgery where they send prescriptions for others who have Fiasp or asked your local pharmacy if they are able to order it in for you?
I am lucky my local pharmacist can always get it in pretty quickly for me. My surgery send my prescriptions direct them and I given a couple of days to get the supplies in. There was only one occasion when he was struggling to get the insulin and he phoned around to find someone else with some in stock.
Libre can take more than a week but it has improved recently.

I always assume they will have to order supplied for me and take this into account when I put in my script by making sure I have some spare.
Ah, that's a good point you know, thank you. My pharmacy does scoop libre sensors from another pharmacy because each and every time I have ordered it, they've not been able to get it. My pharmacy has tried ordering fiasp, but the supplier can't get it so they tell me to go back to my gp to ask for a paper script to go somewhere else.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am due to put my prescription in tomorrow. I drop at Pharmacy around corner in the morning and get a text a couple of days later to say it is in. It is not in a big chain, has Libre off the shelf and so far has managed to get all my supplies without difficulty. Need to get Fiasp and Toujeo this time so will let you know how it goes. They are having problems with supplies for many different drugs particularly for HRT. This is not just in this country but elsewhere in Europe.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was the issue, pharmacies tried to order it but their supplier couldn’t get it. It’s been like that for a while with pharmacies in my area that don’t stock it or their supplier can’t get it. I don’t know if it’s brexit because this was even before Boris Johnson rolled himself in. I was able to get Fiasp from the hospital and from my pharmacy but there after I couldn’t get it. If pharmacies told me they can order it in, I don’t mind waiting but they’ve tried and couldn’t get any. Unfortunately I’ve been without Fiasp because of this mess.
Have you considered asking Dr Google to tell you of all pharmacies within 5/10 or whatever miles of where you are, and just calling them (if you haven't already)?

There's also an NHS area about open prescribing, where you can identify by CCG and Practise, who is prescribing what, by name (Fiasp/Levemir/whatever), but clearly not to whom. I'll find that for you, as it could help you target your calls.

I'm away from the laptop where I have that stored, but I'll find it this evening, and post it on here. It's informative.

I've just looked at Lloyds Pharmacy online. They supply Fiasp, so maybe just call every Lloyds in your area, and go from there?

Just suggestions.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you considered asking Dr Google to tell you of all pharmacies within 5/10 or whatever miles of where you are, and just calling them (if you haven't already)?

There's also an NHS area about open prescribing, where you can identify by CCG and Practise, who is prescribing what, by name (Fiasp/Levemir/whatever), but clearly not to whom. I'll find that for you, as it could help you target your calls.

I'm away from the laptop where I have that stored, but I'll find it this evening, and post it on here. It's informative.

I've just looked at Lloyds Pharmacy online. They supply Fiasp, so maybe just call every Lloyds in your area, and go from there?

Just suggestions.
Hello, thank you so much, we did call every pharmacy within 5-10miles. Lloyds pharmacy happen to supply fiasp last time but it was in the older packaging. The only way I can get it conveniently is going there from where my work place is because I have to factor in the time my bf finishes work, rush hour etc etc so he wouldn't be able to drive me there to collect it. I'll give online pharmacy a try since they deliver to my door, but if they can't supply Fiasp, I'll contact my gp surgery to direct it to Lloyds pharmacy.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre can take more than a week but it has improved recently.

Blimey, really?!
I see the yellow boxes of joy stacked on the shelves all the time at my local supermarket pharmacies.. (I kid you not.) In plain view at the Sainburys I was at yesterday.. Though they couldn't or wouldn't VAT exempt me, so I drove to my "main man" at ASDA..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps what I should have written was"Libre have taken more than a week in the past".
Hopefully, Abbott have sorted out their supply now.

To be fair, when I first started acquiring the libre I was asked how many do a want? They needed to hold some back for the scripts..? I normally get one at any given time.

Never had any personal issues to date regarding lack of stock. Hence my surprise reading others having issues sourcing in the past...? I've given up dealing direct with Abbott.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Results from blood test and x-rays are back. Uric acid was normal, so gout quite unlikely. Two bones in my wrist may or may not be slightly out of place. Likely some wear to the joint. CRP higher than a week ago (23 versus 13) but not alarmingly high.

Meanwhile, my wrist is improving but now my thumb joint is sore and swollen. Still on high doses of paracetamol and naproxen and counting the minutes when it's almost time for my next dose.

Appointment with GP again tomorrow, but this time it's Inge, the nice physician assistant instead of the stern know-it-all that owns the place (and who diagnosed erysipelas without redness), so we'll try to make sense of this together and enjoy ourselves. I think the most likely outcome is 'keep taking naproxen until things get better', as that's the treatment for almost everything I could have.
And I'm curious about the 'possible disaligned wrist bones. I have the feeling Inge likes a bit of a puzzle and is perfectly comfortable saying she doesn't have a clue, so tomorrow should be a good day, even if we don't know anything more than we do today :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, thank you so much, we did call every pharmacy within 5-10miles. Lloyds pharmacy happen to supply fiasp last time but it was in the older packaging. The only way I can get it conveniently is going there from where my work place is because I have to factor in the time my bf finishes work, rush hour etc etc so he wouldn't be able to drive me there to collect it. I'll give online pharmacy a try since they deliver to my door, but if they can't supply Fiasp, I'll contact my gp surgery to direct it to Lloyds pharmacy.

As promised, here is the open prescribing site: https://openprescribing.net/analyse/

You can search the data by surgery and product, or by CCG and product. If you search by surgery then product, it will compare your surgery with other practices in your CCG, identifying which surgeries prescribed Fiasp, in your case, and how many prescriptions of it they prescribed in July '19, which is the latest available data.

The data shows, graphically where there are peaks in prescribing of a product. You could then look up where they are, and target surrounding pharmacies.

Not all pharmacies keep "office hours". The pharmacy in our village is open until 10pm, Monday - Friday, something like 8pm on Saturdays and 6pm Sundays, and they are incredibly accommodating.

If all else fails, you could call the pharmacy at the hospital where your clinic is? If the consultants there prescribe it, they're likely to supply it?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, this must be it, I'm 42!
upload_2019-10-7_20-32-22.jpeg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, this must be it, I'm 42!
View attachment 36063

Strangely, it was just after my 40th birthday I contracted an inner ear infection causing me to spin out & hit the deck?
I looked like I'd been in a brawl.. Oddly, I did used to get them as a kid but nothing like this. I also thought I was going deaf?

Sooo, getting up one morning & hitting my head again on a small table I keep on my side of the bed. (Lucky I threw my clothes over it the night before.)
I turned to my wife (not quite my wife then.) who is a little older than I.

... & asked, "is this what it's like to be 40? Cuz this is. (insert appropriate turd word here.)

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Results from blood test and x-rays are back. Uric acid was normal, so gout quite unlikely. Two bones in my wrist may or may not be slightly out of place. Likely some wear to the joint. CRP higher than a week ago (23 versus 13) but not alarmingly high.

Meanwhile, my wrist is improving but now my thumb joint is sore and swollen. Still on high doses of paracetamol and naproxen and counting the minutes when it's almost time for my next dose.

Appointment with GP again tomorrow, but this time it's Inge, the nice physician assistant instead of the stern know-it-all that owns the place (and who diagnosed erysipelas without redness), so we'll try to make sense of this together and enjoy ourselves. I think the most likely outcome is 'keep taking naproxen until things get better', as that's the treatment for almost everything I could have.
And I'm curious about the 'possible disaligned wrist bones. I have the feeling Inge likes a bit of a puzzle and is perfectly comfortable saying she doesn't have a clue, so tomorrow should be a good day, even if we don't know anything more than we do today :)

Hi. I just wondered if Pseudogout could be the cause of your problem. Perhaps worth googling it.
Cheers Leeanne

Reactions: Antje77