Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Reactions: Kim Possible

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fortunately hypos don’t have a lasting effect on me thank goodness, earlier this afternoon I was in a meeting that had lots of sweets passing around the table, and you know me I couldn’t resist up shot was come home time I was at 17.sonething:meh: so did a 7u correction that would normally bring me nicely down to around 8 but with the cycle to the car thought it would put me around 6, all well and good, get home cook dinner/tea/supper and dish up them bam! It was like I’d been steamrollered, ok I’m low, took some gluco tabs before eating and tested 1.9 ! it Was so sudden. Oh well back in normal range now and no worse for wear. What a wonderful life we live! :wideyed:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fortunately hypos don’t have a lasting effect on me thank goodness, earlier this afternoon I was in a meeting that had lots of sweets passing around the table, and you know me I couldn’t resist up shot was come home time I was at 17.sonething:meh: so did a 7u correction that would normally bring me nicely down to around 8 but with the cycle to the car thought it would put me around 6, all well and good, get home cook dinner/tea/supper and dish up them bam! It was like I’d been steamrollered, ok I’m low, took some gluco tabs before eating and tested 1.9 ! it Was so sudden. Oh well back in normal range now and no worse for wear. What a wonderful life we live! :wideyed:
For me high sugar/low fat stuff spike me quick and high, but also drop again way before the insulin is finished working, risking hypo's.
Could it be something like that happened?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope all's well for those who haven't been having a good time recently. I'm trying to recycle and thought that I really should be able to do something for that December do with these little things
Any ideas?View attachment 36070
They're obviously the faces of little animals! Just glue them on cotton balls and giving them eyes is probably enough. If you use brown cotton balls and put them in front of a matchbook sleigh they're reindeer, if you use yellow cotton balls they're easter ducklings :)

But how do you unscrew your needles from the pen without using the caps and still not prick your fingers?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But how do you unscrew your needles from the pen without using the caps and still not prick your fingers?

I'm not sure how @SueJB does it. But I peel off the strip covering the end, screw the whole assembly onto the pen, then remove the cap & needle sheath ready for use..
To remove the needle, I either recover it with the opaque cap & unscrew or remove the bare needle straight to bio hazard box..

Or as I call it. The "swimming pool." ;)

image.jpeg

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
They're obviously the faces of little animals! Just glue them on cotton balls and giving them eyes is probably enough. If you use brown cotton balls and put them in front of a matchbook sleigh they're reindeer, if you use yellow cotton balls they're easter ducklings :)

Great ideas there @Antje77 Each needle hasone of these amazing hoodies and underneath another little pick sheath

Reactions: Antje77

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm not sure how @SueJB does it. But I peel off the strip covering the end, screw the whole assembly onto the pen, then remove the cap & needle sheath ready for use..
To remove the needle, I either recover it with the opaque cap & unscrew or remove the bare needle straight to bio hazard box..

Or as I call it. The "swimming pool." ;)

View attachment 36077
That's what I do but after doing the biz, unscrew with no cap
Love the image

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what I do but after doing the biz, unscrew with no cap
Love the image

Yep, if yer good at wiring LEDs, the caps could make great "defusers" for coloured bulbs..?

The Saw? Lol, he's a bit of a tinker...

Last edited:
Reactions: SueJB

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
Training was okay, spent 2 hours folding napkins and we tried the entire lunch menu. I didn’t eat any of the meat dishes, only vegan dishes. I thought they could at least put more effort into vegan food, surely it’s not just some beanspouts, mushrooms, a few pieces of tofu and courgettes. Theres mock duck, mock tuna and jackfruit, like cmon. A work colleague got really angry at me today because I was using, in her words, “logic” when she tried using her knife to scrap the chicken off the skewer and struggling. I said you can use a fork to do it more efficiently. She quite frankly said what she had to say and ignored my advice. She had another chicken skewer later and guess what? She lost control of her knife, her knife and piece of chicken went flying. No one was hurt but it doesn’t look comfortable because I was sitting next to her. That’s my story for you all tonight :)

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also spent my evening figuring out my correction ratios and I don’t think my dsn was joking about my insulin sensitivity when she calculated it. I think they’ve changed a lot since DAFNE.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski We are all individuals and what one may have as a correction dose will not be suitable for another. Mine in fact also vary for different times in the day. Mornings needing more of a sledgehammer approach and evening just a bit of fairy dust. Which fits in also with my different insulin to food ratios throughout the day.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone woke to a 2.8 this morning head was banging couple of jelly babies and rising slowly about to have breakfast ,have a good dsy everyone

Dabootie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, leading an all day training session today so early up and out.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So what a week. As I posted, the weekend had me laid low with yet another virus. I was determined to cope without a hospital visit, though have not recovered too well. Yesterday had to attend GP for results of X-ray on back and hips. Nothing awful showed, just as expected for someone my age . However, she was not happy with my general health, continuing rising sugar levels without the help of much food and my rather fast pulse rate. She insisted I went to A and E. grr..!
An ECG, 2 attempted and 1 successful blood test, a chest X-ray and consultation with a Dr and 6 hours later it is confirmed, I have a virus!! What is interesting though is that the original cough virus I had nearly 2 months ago probably hadn’t gone and just reinvigorated itself. This may take some while to go and is highly likely causing the ongoing hip and back issues I have. So patience, and the holiday planned in a fortnight should be a big help. Also, I was told in no uncertain terms not to use urine testing strips for ketones as they are inaccurate and don’t show the correct type. What?? I must get some blood testing ones. Though am not planning on being ill like that again very soon. My bloods overnight have been a perfect straight 6. Little devils!
What I took away from yesterday- how exceedingly fortunate we are to have all that care and investigation for free. When I think of poor Americans unable to afford insulin, it makes me very humble.
Have a good day everyone.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone,

@karen8967 I hope you feel better soon & your BG levels out.
Also big hugs to you @becca59 you've not been having the best time have you! I hope you start to get better very soon.

I woke today with a wonder BG of 6.
My Libre sensor ended today, so I applied my new one last night. I scanned the sensor this morning & let it do it's 1 hour prep thing.. .. .. By the time I arrived at work & the sensor said it was ready I scanned it & got a message to say "Replace sensor" :banghead:
Whhhhhyyyy :arghh:

Does this happen often?
I'm not able to get home to replace my sensor today, so back to the ol' finger pricking for a day & will replace my sensor this evening :(

I hope everyone has a great day x

Reactions: karen8967