Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else here had serious problems with the lantus/toujeo glargine family of basal insulin's.
Yes. It worked quite good for me (but I hated the stinging) until I got one of those horrible 'Lantus lows'.
After waking up again, luckily, as I didn't expect I would when I closed my eyes, I spent 3 days searching the internet as to what had happened.
When I finally concluded it must have been the Lantus I called my HCP and told her I wouldn't take my Lantus anymore and could she prescribe a different insulin, preferably Tresiba but would be happy with Levemir as well. She did right away and I have been a happy Tresiba user since :)

Another side effect from Lantus can be pretty bad joint or muscle aches and pains. I hadn't made the connection until after the pains disappeared.

Hello everyone, new here. just working out how to post and respond then i will be haunting these forums like a ghost on steroids..
Welcome to the forum, good to have you here!
The posting you seem to have worked out already :) If you want to reply to part of someones text, just select the part you wish to quote and a little reply-button will appear.
If you want to tag someone, just write @ before their names, @Streather \m/ , and select the right name from the pop up box.

Now you have the tools you can haunt us all you like!

Reactions: Alison54321

Justin04

Hey guys just saw this and laughed. First time poster on the stars r us. Here in northern Australia we are a bit different and a bit drier than you guys in England but I’ll tell you how it is here on a cattle property in north qld:Evening meal is supper, at school we played tiggy, a lump of bread is a loaf no matter the size, it’s always a loaf, scone rhymes with gone, Scone is a town in western NSW different state different pronunciations but it’ll always be a nice hot pumpkin scone (gone) when we get home for smoko (morning tea), put and but have the same sound hands down,
the last one I can’t pass comment on but I know you invaded Australia back in 1788 and it worked out well for us! What a beautiful country we live in. Thanks folks we are all in different places with the same danged disease and together we will keep soldiering on. Cheers from Qld Australia!

Streather \m/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ignorant close minded people. Diabetes and its associated maladies (obv..), modern society, rudeness.
@Streather \m/ welcome to the friendly (and slightly quirky) thread.
I am slim (I don't like the term "skinny" as it was an insult that bullies used to call me when I was younger) with a BMI similar to yours. Until I transitioned to a pump, I used Lantus for over 10 years without any major issues.
However, I know some people struggle with it and this article has been referenced a few times.

A word of caution about discussing your body shape as a concern with Lantus - I love my pump but being slim with a pump brings along additional problems. You need to insert the cannula subcutaneously. The first cannulas I tried went too deep for me. Alternatives were found (inset 30s which go in at an angle of 30 degrees instead of 90) but these are not available for all pumps and, I believe, there is less choice regarding the material of the cannula (metal, teflon, ...). Being slim also meant I had less places to hide my pump and I hated my diabetes always being on display. Therefore, I recently changed to a patch pump. This has solved the problem of hiding my pump but, being small, I am limited where I can put the patch which is considerably larger than a cannula.

I thought I would mention this as, if your DSN decides they are going to be obstructive in helping you get a pump, your body shape could be used as a reason not to use a one.

Have a you tried other slow acting insulins such as Levemir or Tresiba?

Thanks for the welcome, no offense meant by the word skinny, i can be a bit blunt sometimes, but will refrain from some of my more colorful terms and language usages :) i am terribly slim though, i never truly got back to fighting weight after chronic pancreatitis so am stuck at 10 stone, being 5'10" it isn't ideal but i'm fine with it, pros and cons to every build type, hope your more at ease with it as well, humans can be terribly beastly creatures... :)

The info on the degrees of the cannula is very useful and i imagine when i finally get onto pump therapy the 30 degree option will be of use, especially if it dictates what type of pump i will use. I am not bothered in the slightest about my diabetes being on display, i have no problem with it (in regards to what people think) and sometimes enjoy the questions, a child asked me recently in re. to my libre sensor/scanner if it meant i was a cyborg :) i am not worried about the DSN blocking me through body shape as it is mostly the conditions which have led to my particular shape that warrant the use of a pump..

i originally wanted to switch to tresiba, but they kept me on the glargine family of basal insulin's, i suspect due to the monetary savings as tresiba is more expensive, however, with the toujeo not working properly the added cost of medical conditions the lack of control has brought on has meant it has backfired and is now more expensive.
thanks again for the reply.

Streather \m/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ignorant close minded people. Diabetes and its associated maladies (obv..), modern society, rudeness.
Yes. It worked quite good for me (but I hated the stinging) until I got one of those horrible 'Lantus lows'.
After waking up again, luckily, as I didn't expect I would when I closed my eyes, I spent 3 days searching the internet as to what had happened.
When I finally concluded it must have been the Lantus I called my HCP and told her I wouldn't take my Lantus anymore and could she prescribe a different insulin, preferably Tresiba but would be happy with Levemir as well. She did right away and I have been a happy Tresiba user since :)

Another side effect from Lantus can be pretty bad joint or muscle aches and pains. I hadn't made the connection until after the pains disappeared.

Welcome to the forum, good to have you here!
The posting you seem to have worked out already :) If you want to reply to part of someones text, just select the part you wish to quote and a little reply-button will appear.
If you want to tag someone, just write @ before their names, @Streather \m/ , and select the right name from the pop up box.

Now you have the tools you can haunt us all you like!

Good to know about the lantus causing joint and muscle pains as i have been having issues with such things for a while and if something as simple as a change in insulin can help alleviate, if not fix it, it would be wonderful. And thanks for the advice on how to use the forum efficiently :)

Reactions: Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hey guys just saw this and laughed. First time poster on the stars r us. Here in northern Australia we are a bit different and a bit drier than you guys in England but I’ll tell you how it is here on a cattle property in north qld:Evening meal is supper, at school we played tiggy, a lump of bread is a loaf no matter the size, it’s always a loaf, scone rhymes with gone, Scone is a town in western NSW different state different pronunciations but it’ll always be a nice hot pumpkin scone (gone) when we get home for smoko (morning tea), put and but have the same sound hands down,
the last one I can’t pass comment on but I know you invaded Australia back in 1788 and it worked out well for us! What a beautiful country we live in. Thanks folks we are all in different places with the same danged disease and together we will keep soldiering on. Cheers from Qld Australia!

Hi and welcome, I love your Avatar, it mooooved me :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the welcome, no offense meant by the word skinny, i can be a bit blunt sometimes, but will refrain from some of my more colorful terms and language usages :) i am terribly slim though, i never truly got back to fighting weight after chronic pancreatitis so am stuck at 10 stone, being 5'10" it isn't ideal but i'm fine with it, pros and cons to every build type, hope your more at ease with it as well, humans can be terribly beastly creatures... :)

The info on the degrees of the cannula is very useful and i imagine when i finally get onto pump therapy the 30 degree option will be of use, especially if it dictates what type of pump i will use. I am not bothered in the slightest about my diabetes being on display, i have no problem with it (in regards to what people think) and sometimes enjoy the questions, a child asked me recently in re. to my libre sensor/scanner if it meant i was a cyborg :) i am not worried about the DSN blocking me through body shape as it is mostly the conditions which have led to my particular shape that warrant the use of a pump..

i originally wanted to switch to tresiba, but they kept me on the glargine family of basal insulin's, i suspect due to the monetary savings as tresiba is more expensive, however, with the toujeo not working properly the added cost of medical conditions the lack of control has brought on has meant it has backfired and is now more expensive.
thanks again for the reply.

Hello and welcome to the thread :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I live in Hampshire England, moved here from London with my parents, It's a beautiful county, even in a town, the countryside is on our doorstep and I love it <3 :happy::joyful: This is a green (and sometimes) a pleasant land, but sadly, it's in a bit of turmoil at the moment :oops:

Reactions: therower
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Afternoon guys, it's a sunny day here and BG isn't too bad today, at the moment I'm making a chocolate birthday cake for daughter's birthday tomorrow.
In my back garden I have rose buds starting to bloom, amazing for October, I will try to upload a pic.
Hope you are all having terrific Tuesday :)

Dian Fourie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Afternoon guys, it's a sunny day here and BG isn't too bad today, at the moment I'm making a chocolate birthday cake for daughter's birthday tomorrow.
In my back garden I have rose buds starting to bloom, amazing for October, I will try to upload a pic.

Happy to hear it is going great!!!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Streather \m/ :)

I wasn't a fan on lantus, it didn't last 24 hours for me, tried a split basal injection but still couldn't get my levels under control, I switched to tresiba and despite it taking a good month or so to settle in, it was so much more stable in comparison, now on a pump and do the odd tweak here and there but otherwise got much better control now.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Please could you share the recipe? Thanks.
Here's the recipe for the lemong and cream cheese cakes (with choc). The pics are without the topping. Ingredients as an attachment
My amendments, use zest of 2 lemons in the cake batter
Use xylitol... be generous and the juice of half a lemon in the topping
I made 9 muffins and 12 little fairy cakes.
Tip get the oven hot and then don't open the door. Mine didn't rise as much and were darker in colour than the book pic. They are really lovely and moist and remind me of rum baba
Before I put the cream cheese topping on, I spread melted 85% dark choc!!
Combination is brilliant
Book says 2g per 100g
IMG_3748.JPG
IMG_3748.JPG
IMG_3746.JPG
IMG_3750.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3749.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB loving the window sill of 'tomaat' (as Antje would say!) - they look good.

Nice to see a few new avatars popping in!

Reactions: Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB loving the window sill of 'tomaat' (as Antje would say!) - they look good.
Cheers @slip nice that you noticed them. They've been grown outdoors, have been neglected and are still giving fruit. They seem to like coming in when they're a bit red to final ripen. No doubt, we'll be having green tom soup in a week. It's brilliant.
Nice to see a few new avatars popping in!

Reactions: Marie 2

Streather \m/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello and welcome @Streather \m/ :)

I wasn't a fan on lantus, it didn't last 24 hours for me, tried a split basal injection but still couldn't get my levels under control, I switched to tresiba and despite it taking a good month or so to settle in, it was so much more stable in comparison, now on a pump and do the odd tweak here and there but otherwise got much better control now.
The more i read about lantus now i am internet enabled and able to do my own research with a clear head (had v.bad depression over the last age), the more i feel it has been hindering rather than helping me. Ive made the mistake of trusting medical professionals absolutely in the past and it seems i may have been stung yet again. You guys on here are giving me both more clarity and hope. cheers :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Streather \m/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Streather \m/ . @Justin04 . @Dian Fourie .
Welcome to this gem of a thread here on the forum. Sometimes quirky, sometimes informative, sometimes naughty ( watch out for the mods ), but generally just an half decent place for type 1’s to chat. We also have input from other types of diabetics which is more than welcome.

Again, thanks for all the welcomes, would someone be able to tell me how to ask direct questions to the forums? i am trying to find some downloadable diabetes management software that allows me to record food/liquids taken, as well as Blood results and insulin doses, also notes as to why i suspect things have gone wrong/right. paper diary's don't contain nearly enough space for the data i need to input.

I will be sure to engage in the community in a productive and mostly inoffensive way :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
scv20191015_141249 - Edited.jpg

DSC_1256 - Edited.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
would someone be able to tell me how to ask direct questions to the forums?
Click on 'FORUMS' (top left on a PC).
Scroll trhouch the sub-forums until you find one to your liking, for instance 'Ask A Question' and click it.
You'll find a list of threads, but also a green 'Post New Thread' button at the top right.
Click it and go ahead!

Another useful feature is the search bar (also top right, just scroll up on this page to find it) where you can find things on the forum. You could for instance use it to find posts about Lantus and Tresiba.

Good luck!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Mine have been grown in the greenhouse, neglected,.....................green soup here we come!:meh:
I suppose it depends on the variety @slip. These are Italian jobs. I've got a great recipe for the green soup somewhere if you need one.