1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks.

2. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Hello to all those recently joining in! @Streather \m/ @Dian Fourie and @Justin04 and anyone else I may have missed.

I am ridiculously over-tired and ultra grumpy right now, so trying not to inflict that on anyone either in my actual life or on forums. As one friend said recently. "It's not a good combination when you are both bored and exhausted."! That friend speaks from experience.

Still, there are only three working days left for me of this half term, thanks to DAFNE, and possibly the planned break away over the proper half term is long overdue.

Remarkably bloods are behaving well for the time being.

• Hug Hug x 2
  3. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @therower @Kim Possible I am quite lucky I only live 10 mins from work and they are very flexible with regards to me coming and going as I like. I dont take the mick though and always make the time back.

Getting back to normal now, sitting with a 6.4 and heading south west. Just need to be more careful.

I have also knocked off a couple of Libre by bumping into door frames, getting a wee bit clumsy in old age

On plus side my 3 months supply of pump infusion sets, syringes is getting delivered tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Our new doggy addition has now decided she will behave in a car ride hopefully. The first time she was bouncing all over the place and we had to bring her back and put her in the crate at home. We had to take her for a vet check up and decided to stick her in the back on the way home and she actually behaved herself and sat in the corner.

Now will she be good from now on or was she behaving because she was stressed from the vet appointment and just happy to be leaving?

I've got a papaya planted and next week a lemon goes in. We are looking around for a pure Hass Avocado. That's a trick because there are over 200 varieties that exist here and they have been mingled together all over the place so...............

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #22764 Marie 2, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:43 AM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  5. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning my diabetic chums hope you all had a good night.

After my canula coming loose yesterday and subsequent high before changing the canula, I went to bed on a reasonable 7.1, according to my Libre. This is its last 24 hours and this one has been really accurate even with the highs of yesterday it almost matched the finger test.

Woke at 2am and knew right away i was low, very low. Quick scan with Libre confirmed this, 2.3. Now when I am that low i go into full panic mode. 2/3 jelly babies simply does not do anything for me at all, I know this works for others but I take no chances. I did scoff about 4 jelly babies and went down stairs, kettle on coffee with 6 sugars, mmmm lovely. Did a finger test and it was actually lower at 2.2, which for me is a new low. Of course that really sets me off and I am really starting to feel the hypo.
    Downed the coffee in a couple of huge gulps with a couple of ginger nuts and went back upstairs to lay on bed. At least of I do go under I will not have far to fall.

Luckily 20 mins later back in land of living. Now getting the effects of the hypo, sore head and a high BG of 12.1.

A new low for me 2.2, what is lowest you have been ( its not a competition):angelic::angelic:

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone enjoy your day regardless of what your doing

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A bit drizzly here in the East Mids this morning.
    Roofers are here to do as much as possible in between showered/downpours.
    A dry spell yesterday gave me chance to find why conservatory roof was leaking ( it was leaking when we first moved but has got progressively worse). Surprisingly it wasn’t as bad as I anticipated. A clean up, some new adhesive/ sealant and it appears that today” Bob is my uncle.”
    Out for fish and chips last night, the high BS was to be expected, it always goes that way with fish and chips. Back in range now so not the end of the world.
    Whatever today brings for the rest of you lovely gals and guys remember that it’s only 10 weeks to Christmas Day :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  8. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@smc4761 . Hope the after affect of going so low are not making you feel to bad this morning. Personally I feel s*** the next day if I have a nighttime hypo. (not had one for along time )
    Like yourself I can’t do the 2/3 jelly babies and wait 15 mins.
    Full on kitchen raid, it has to be.:)
    I see it as one of the perks of the job. We have enough to deal with why not have a damn good sugar carb blow out if we need it.
    Ginger nuts and cold milk is definitely a go to here.
    As for lowest. Don’t know really. In years gone by without CGM and using old style insulin I would wake up and come around dripping in sweat with my wife saying that I’d already eaten glucotabs and 3 weetabix:). BS would still be below 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your experience @smc4761 how about chaining pens to the desk, that's a nice uncomplicated solution. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Alison54321

Morning all, not much going on. Seem to have a slight cold, or something, which might be pushing blood sugar up a bit, but not loads, totally survivable though, so barely worth mentioning.

I've decided to paint the kitchen pink, just can't decide how pink.

Hope you all have a good day.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, I'm sure the forecast said dry, OK just checked and have to wait til 10am
    Madam BAD is very and I don't know why. That's the problem with finger pricking, you only get glimpses. My appointment with diabetes registrar is in a month and I know for sure they're going to be unhappy with my HbA1c. I can't see me stabilising BG in 2 weeks before I get the blood test done and it won't make a cat in hell's difference anyway. And I keep getting messages from FB with photos of me from a year ago, I was thin and now I'm a blob.
    Not a happy bunny today so hope others are more positive

• Hug Hug x 4
  12. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello friends and new friends
    I had my flu vaccine today and it wasn’t that bad as I remembered it. Maybe it’s the way they inject it because it was quite painful in the past. Nurse was quite good, I was in there for a minute. My online pharmacy order has been dispatched and it feels like Christmas, they were able to get Fiasp :D
    As for the food situation, they provide staff food. I wasn’t expecting them to give me food but they provide it. They’ve been telling everyone different things so if it was made clear, I’ll be able to work around it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes @SueJB the weather here is suppose to brighten later, wasn't surprised to draw back the curtains this morning to a very dull wet grey morning seems to be a running theme for the whole of October I think. (if you could PM me the green 'tomaat' soup recipe please)

My BAD has been 'stunningly' stuck around the 8 mark regardless of any corrections - could be worse I suppose, and it may be the tail end of the cold I had at the weekend or the tail end of both insulin cartridges.........

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alison54321

Sorry to hear you're not feeling very optimistic today. Try to keep things in perspective, I bet you only put the photos of yourself on facebook a year ago in which you looked really thin, and the difference isn't anything like as much, in reality, as it looks from here.

Try not to get too caught up in negative stuff. Have a good day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. MeiChanski

I’m only a blob because it’s cold and every food item looks delicious. I think the work shirt is a weird sizing so it emphasises my potatoness. I hope things work out in the end, sending you a hug!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Streather \m/

Streather \m/ Type 1 · Member

Thank you and RatM has always expressed a lot of my inner rage, i always loved the photo, as grim as self immolation is, those monks give me mental strength in the tough times. What utter conviction and dedication to a cause, Awe inspiring.

New phone at the end of the week so will be getting the MySugr app and giving it a test drive, im sick of the inefficient paper trails left behind me, the kitchen looks like a hoarders stash and a fire hazard had a heathen child.

Your Uni course sounds like a blast, what is it exactly? i know from the context it is medical but what flavor exactly?
    I also am a ***** for sucking the blood off my fingers, well, was before a libre..
    Also glad to hear that whatever Diabetes stole from you, it left you with a wicked sense of humor. I find that's the biggest pro of the condition, as well as a powerful sense of empathy towards others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Streather \m/

Oops, got a bit sweary and starred :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Streather \m/

@therower I have knocked multiple libre sensors off on door frames, as well as killing many watches in the same manner, sometimes spacial awareness doesn't take into account for foreign objects protruding from the body :)
    also jumpers have robbed me of time with particular libre sensors. not funny when they cost so much.
    Also, have you ever had one leave the steel needle in your flesh after the process of applying one? happened only once but it came as a shock when i realised why it was stinging... plus the sensor didn't work after i had manually removed the cannula sheath (if that is the correct medical term)

• Hug Hug x 1
  19. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@smc4761 I haven't finger pricked on a bad low for years so not really sure what I've been at. I just know I've been dripping in sweat and shaking, seeing starbursts in back of eyes etc. I have always been able to function, maybe not well, but at least get some kind of sugar down me.

Now I have my Dexcom set to give me plenty of warning so I usually just don't drop below 3.6. Although once I got tricked with a fast low and once my number started to go up I ignored feeling bad because I had already been low. It turns out I was dropping again and no warning as I never went above my warning number to drop again to get an alert, so I think I hit a 3 the second time.

20. MeiChanski

I think it disappeared too :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook