Post Your Recipes Here!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SueJB

I notice the member posting this is not about, so I copied the relevant part of the Zuccini bread recipe from the link. Hope this is of use for you.

Ingredients
  • 50 g coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tbsp granulated sweetener, of choice or more to your taste
  • 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 5 eggs - medium
  • 130 g grated/shredded zucchini (measure after squeezing out the water)
  • 30 g walnuts (optional)
Steps
  • Step 1
    Place all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir gently.

• Step 2
    Add the vanilla, eggs, grated/shredded zucchini. Stir gently.

• Step 3
    Place into a lined loaf tin or silicon loaf tin, and bake at 180C/350F. Cooking times seems to vary considerably with this recipe. Depending on your oven, it may take anywhere between for 20-40 minutes. Always test the bread. You will know when it is cooked when a knife comes out clean when pushed into the centre

Reactions: Prancy

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB

I notice the member posting this is not about, so I copied the relevant part of the Zuccini bread recipe from the link. Hope this is of use for you.

Ingredients
  • 50 g coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tbsp granulated sweetener, of choice or more to your taste
  • 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 5 eggs - medium
  • 130 g grated/shredded zucchini (measure after squeezing out the water)
  • 30 g walnuts (optional)
Steps
  • Step 1
    Place all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir gently.

• Step 2
    Add the vanilla, eggs, grated/shredded zucchini. Stir gently.

• Step 3
    Place into a lined loaf tin or silicon loaf tin, and bake at 180C/350F. Cooking times seems to vary considerably with this recipe. Depending on your oven, it may take anywhere between for 20-40 minutes. Always test the bread. You will know when it is cooked when a knife comes out clean when pushed into the centre
Magic, thanks so much. I'm disappointed, I thought it would be savoury, not sweet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Magic thanks @Pipp a long list and a very good one, garlic parmesan and zucchini I'm going to try. Will let you know
Call it my good turn for today.
Hope you find at least one you like.:)

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is the 100% wholemeal Rye Sourdough loaf recipe I have settled on for now. It's no-knead and very easy, you just need time and patience. I find this does not affect my blood glucose anywhere near as much as wheat breads. You may differ, so test and see.

1. Put 200g rye sourdough starter (mine is always 100% hydration, i.e. the same weight of water and rye flour in it) in a large bowl.

2. Add 350g room temperature water.

3. Mix and leave for an hour or two.

4. Add 400g wholemeal rye (or "Dark" as it is often called) and 10g salt and mix to a wet dough.

5. Cover and leave for 2 hours.

6. Tip into a well greased and lined tin (it's very sticky and likes to stick to a tin when baked - I've been using a cake tin with easy release sides to help with this.) and with wet fingers lightly press to even out into the shape chosen.

7. (Optional) Generously sprinkle the top with seeds of choice, this adds even more flavour and also prevents the top of the dough sticking to the cling film if it rises to touch it).

8. Leave for about 8-12 hours - it should noticeably rise up the tin, though won't rise as much as a wheat bread.

9. Heat your oven to 240C (or as near as it will get), chuck in some water to create some steam and put in the tin, then turn down to 200C and bake for 20 minutes.

10. After 20 minutes, release the loaf from the tin (as it's quite a dense bread I usually turn it over at this point so the base gets a good crisping) and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.

11. Let it cool on a rack then weigh it.

To calculate the carbs, etc divide the nutritional content of the 500g of Rye (plus any seeds, etc you added) by the weight of the cooled loaf

Rye flour Net Carbs 253g
(Total Carbs 320.5g minus Fibre 67.5g)
Calories 1520
Protein 39g

e.g. today's loaf was 870g once cooled, so 29.2 carbs per 100g of bread.

It has a strong crumb, so you can slice it very finely indeed, making it easy to control intake.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got this recipe from my sister since people complimented her on her pie. I realised that there wasn't much in it that would bother a diabetic except for the 30gm of flour and the pie crust. The dish serves about 6 so you get about 5gms of flour each if you throw the crust into the dustbin. I have tried this fresh out of the oven, cold out of the fridge and microwaved from frozen and it is delicious in all cases. The flaky pastry does not survive freezing very well but who cares. I have plans to use the filling for other dishes since it seems indestructable.

CHICKEN AND LEEK PIE

60g (2oz) butter

2 large leeks finely sliced

Flaky pastry (one sheet from Tesco was enough)

4 spring onions

Mushrooms or anything you like (optional)

1 clove garlic, crushed

30g flour

375ml chicken stock

125ml cream

Chicken, cooked (this is not specified as to weight. I intend to buy diced breast for the next one). Must be cooked first.

60ml milk

Preheat oven to 180 (fan)

In a deep pan melt the butter and add the leeks onions and garlic.

Cook over low heat for (poss.) six minutes until the leek is soft but not browned.

Sprinkle in the flour and mix well.

Pour in the stock gradually and cook, stirring well until thick and smooth.

Stir in the cream and add the chicken. How much chicken is not specified but I plan to buy diced breast for the next one. Must be cooked.

Put the mixture in a pie dish (8 inch) and set aside to cool.

Cut pastry to fit pie dish. Paint around the rim of the pie dish with a little milk. Put the pastry on top and seal around the edge firmly. Decorate the edge with a fork.

Put a small hole in the top of the pie to let the steam out. Place the pie in the heated oven for 25/30 minutes or until the top is brown and crispy.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Neapolitan Chia Seed Pudding:
Serves 1
Approx 5.5g Carbs, depending on what type of milk you use and if it's sweetened etc. (I used unsweetened coconut milk)

Ingredients -

Vanilla Layer:

⅓ c Plant milk (I used coconut)

1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp Chia Seeds

1 Tsp Vanilla essence

1 Tsp Sweetener (I used Natvia)

Chocolate Layer:

⅓ c Plant milk

1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp Chia Seeds

1 Tbsp Cacao Powder

1 Tsp Sweetener

Strawberry Layer:

¼ c Plant milk

⅓ c Frozen strawberries (overfilled so it’s a couple of strawberries more than ⅓ c)

2 Tbsp Chia seeds

½ Tsp Sweetener

¼ tsp Beetroot powder (optional - this is mainly for colour)

Topping (optional):

1 Tbsp coconut oil

1 Tbsp Cacao powder

½ tsp Sweetener

Strawberries and/or cacao nibs for decorating

Method -

1. Make the vanilla flavour first by combining all vanilla flavour ingredients together in a jar or glass. The jar or glass should be big enough to fit all 3 flavour, at least 300g capacity.

2. Stir well so that the chia seeds are evenly mixed through and the mixture are starting to thicken slightly. Wait about 30 seconds then stir again, this will help ensure the chia seeds are evenly mixed.

3. Put into the fridge for at least one hour, 2 hours if you have the time. If you are able to I recommend stirring the mixture again about half an hour into fridge time, it just further ensures the chia seeds are evenly distributed, as if they aren’t parts may not set properly.

4. Once the vanilla layer has been in the fridge for 1-2 hours it’s time to move onto the chocolate. Using a different glass, jar or bowl (this one is just for mixing so doesn’t need to look pretty), mix all of the chocolate layer ingredients together. As with the vanilla layer, mix well until starting to thicken then leave for 30 seconds and stir again. The chocolate will need a bit more stirring than the vanilla to make sure the cacao is fully incorporated.

5. Take the glass with the vanilla layer out of the fridge, and then carefully pour the chocolate layer on top. It is pretty difficult to get it exactly even on top of the vanilla layer and parts of the chocolate will likely go down the sides into the vanilla flavour, so just don’t expect the layers to be completely separated.

6. Once the chocolate layer is on, return to the fridge and leave for 1-2 hours.

7. Once the chia pudding has been in the fridge with the chocolate layer for 1-2 hours you can move onto the strawberry layer. Start by putting all of the strawberry layer ingredients except for the chia seeds into a blender and blend until combined and there are no strawberry lumps.

8. Transfer to a small bowl and add the chia seeds then mix well until starting to thicken, and again wait 30 seconds and then stir again.

9. Take the chia seed pudding with the vanilla and chocolate flavours out of the fridge and now carefully pour the strawberry on top, then return to fridge.

10. Chia seed pudding should be left for at least 2hours or overnight before serving.

11. If you would like to make the chocolate drizzle to go on top simply put 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp cacao powder and 1tsp sweetener together in a small pot on the stove until melted (or you can put it in the microwave), then drizzle on top of your chia seed pudding. If you like you can also top with fresh strawberries and cacao nibs.

Dandelade

Thanks for all the recipes everyone.

My favourite creation that comes out at 12g carbs if halved as a side for two or 24g as a main!

Green beans, cherry Tom’s and feta:

Steam/ boil a pack of green beans.
Cut cherry toms
Heat oil and cook 2 cloves of garlic and a chilli for a couple of minutes, add a stock cube to make a thin sauce.
Add cooked green beans (a little of the water if sauce needs it) and tomatoes to gently warm through.
Add a splash of white wine vinegar and pepper to taste then transfer to plate to serve.
Cube feta and sprinkle over.

If I’ve overlooked anything that is not low carb friendly just say. I love this dish!

Reactions: Prancy

Lisa69free

Re: Recipes.

RASPBERRY WHIP (taken from a Diabetic recipes book produced by my hospital diabetic centre)

1 sachet sugar free raspberry jelly
2 small pot of virtually fat free raspberry yohurts
4 oz raspberrys

Make up the jelly using only 3/4 pint water (not the 1 pint on instructions)
When just before settiung point (this is a little hard to determine but have made it a couple of times so far and it has still set ok!) stir in the yoghurts (mix in well) and then the raspberrys.
Leave to set

Enjoy! My son actually loves this as well which is good as otherwise I might be tempted to eat the lot!

I used to make this when I did Slimming World. I found a way to make it like angel delight. Keep whisking over an ice block. Less liquid than it says though

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Re: Recipes.

Erstaz Mousse.
One packet of sugar-free jelly, a citrus flavour works best.
1/2 to 3/4 pint of cream. Double or whipping is best.

Make up the jelly with half the water stated on the packet. It's usually about 1/2 a pint.
Leave it to semi-set. Sort of 'snotty'. If you forget it and it sets hard, just heat it gently until it melts and then leave it to set again.

Using an electric whisk, beat the jelly to break it up and turn it slightly frothy. Add the cream and beat again until it light and fluffy.
Leave to set.

Sometimes it turns out very light and 'moussy' sometimes heavier but either way, it's lovely very cold when something sweet is needed.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Lentil Soup:

6 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 can tomato paste
12 leaves of basil
1 garlic bud or 2 tbsp powder garlic
1/2 cup red vinegar
3 cups lentils

-Lightly saute lentils with oil
-pour water and tomato paste
-add condiments
-cook at low-med heat for 2 hrs, testing for consistency of lentils
-use of slow cooker recommended

ErinKeegan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people
Avocado & Tomato Salad
INGREDIENTS

1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 avocados, cubed
1 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small cucumber, sliced into half moons
1/3 c. corn
1 jalepeño, minced (optional)
2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and cumin.
  2. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
  3. In a large serving bowl, combine avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, corn, jalapeño, and cilantro.
  4. Gently toss with dressing and serve immediately.

• Winner
Reactions: Stephen Bond

PiersAaron

NYC Version oif Avocado Salad
Ingredients:
Hothouse long cucumber peeled and cut into half moons
1 ripe Avocado chopped into thumb duze bits
1 lime
1/2 half jar of kalmatta olives
3 strips of bacon cooked into bacon bits
2 green onions diced into small bits
2 hardboiled eggs chopped into quarters.
1/4 cup chicken chunks (I usually use the leftovet chicken for this recipe
75 to 100g of Gorgonzola cherse
1 pickle diced into bits
2 red radishes diced into bits
100g of green cabbage dicec into mefium size bits
EVOO for dressing
Apple cider vinegar for dressing
Salt and pepper as needed.

Mix all ingrefients, except dressing,together. Serve mixed salad with dressing.

PS lime juice should be applied to avocado chunks. In order to prevent avocado from going brown.