High blood sugar

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

I have been on sitagliptin and forxiga and dapagliflozin and gliclazide and those drugs make my sugar go low and then I start to get cravings and start to shake. If I come of it I go back into the high blood sugar readings and I feel fatigue and sluggish. Has anyone on here found a way to try and control the blood sugar highs and come of from medication. I know low carb is said but I find my blood sugars spike even after a small amount of food.
I'm with diabetic clinic but they dont give me no special advice other than take my medication and exercise.. easy said than done with high blood sugar I cant even train.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does your blood sugar spike even if you restrict your intake of carbohydrate?
For most type twos a diet low in carbs, but eating meat fish seafood eggs cheese and low carb veges and a little fruit means lower - sometimes normal - levels of blood glucose.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does your blood sugar spike even if you restrict your intake of carbohydrate?
For most type twos a diet low in carbs, but eating meat fish seafood eggs cheese and low carb veges and a little fruit means lower - sometimes normal - levels of blood glucose.

Yes, I eat little carbohydrates and I do eat eggs and fish and so on.. I wake up high too and then after 2 hours blood sugars are 6 points up. And after my medication I go low to the high 3's and then I shake and eat something then repeat again I'm high.

I dont have the energy to train In the gym too so I cant lose weight.. I've been told I have fat around my liver.

I ideally want to fix my blood sugar levels and get rid of these drugs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
But you can't do low carb and take glucose lowering medication - the whole point of lowering carbs is so you do not require medication as well.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But you can't do low carb and take glucose lowering medication - the whole point of lowering carbs is so you do not require medication as well.

No I went off my medication for a day or 2 and experimented with the low carb and I still had high blood sugar readings I have a food scale so I only eat small portions and I only drink water and I dont snack on crisps or sweets so I'm very puzzled. Only been diabetic since 2014. Maybe I need to lose the weight for the low carb approach to work or get the fat around my liver rid off I'm only 3kg overweight.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A day or two may not be long enough. Look again at what kinds of foods you are eating and how many grams of carbs are in them. Set yourself a generous limit and then lower that limit as quickly or as slowly as you are comfortable with.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that a day or 2 is far too short a time - you might have seen changes if you had a continuous monitor, lower spikes after meals is where it shows first, but it isn't magic, you don't switch to the results of low carbs overnight - it might well take only a few days to a week - but overnight.......

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A day or two may not be long enough. Look again at what kinds of foods you are eating and how many grams of carbs are in them. Set yourself a generous limit and then lower that limit as quickly or as slowly as you are comfortable with.

I eat a little bit of everything. Small portions in a small plate. I include everything from protein and veggies and some carbs.

I don't know why my levels are too high I can understand a few points elevation but I can go 5 or 6 points high.

I'm trying to eat less to lose weight too but I seem to stay there on the on 73.8kg I'm happy i dont gain weight but I'd love to lose weight so I can improve my liver function.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid that a day or 2 is far too short a time - you might have seen changes if you had a continuous monitor, lower spikes after meals is where it shows first, but it isn't magic, you don't switch to the results of low carbs overnight - it might well take only a few days to a week - but overnight.......

I know I will be trying this low carb lifestyle for a month and then check how my blood sugar levels are. I have lowered my foot intake significantly from last year where I was eating a whole plate of rice with curry to now eating small plate of little rice with veggies and chicken.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A few points. First it's possible you are not T2 but T1. If you are not overweight do ask the GP to give you the two tests for T1. My reaction to the number of tablets you are on is that it is one too many! I'm not a medic but that's my reaction. I suggest you ask the GP/DN what each tablet does and why you are on it. Bear in mind that at least Gliclazide can cause low BS and hypos so the dose for that must be low enough to avoid hypos. Do keep the carbs down.

mouseee

I don't know your numbers for your hba1c but I am t2 and have only been on one medication, metformin, and have halved my levels from 101 to 46 in 12 weeks with a low carb diet. I have also lost weight and 4 inches off my waist.

You need to check you bs before eating and 2 hours after and then see what the difference is then. If it's more than 2 pts up then you've eaten things to avoid in the future.

I went to meat and veg with only about 50g of carbs a day and have been reintroducing things. I might eat a quarter slice bread, never potatoes and no pasta or rice. Rice is one thing pretty guaranteed to raise bs by what most people on here say.

Also, I am sure someone will come on and talk about the high fat aspect of LCHF as that really helps with energy levels and might mean you can work out more. I haven't skimped on get although not gone mad and still lost weight and gained energy.

There is loads of advice to be gained here. Just ask.

Also, if the medication is making you go up and down so much I would strongly suggest speaking to your HCP about what's going on.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. A few points. First it's possible you are not T2 but T1. If you are not overweight do ask the GP to give you the two tests for T1. My reaction to the number of tablets you are on is that it is one too many! I'm not a medic but that's my reaction. I suggest you ask the GP/DN what each tablet does and why you are on it. Bear in mind that at least Gliclazide can cause low BS and hypos so the dose for that must be low enough to avoid hypos. Do keep the carbs down.

I was diagnosed in 2014. My weight was 59kg I was initially diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was put on insulin and after a month my hba1c went from 99 to 25 and I was taken of insulin and put onto metformin, I guess I was misdiagnosed I was 75kg a month before my diagnosis so I dropped a lot of weight without any effort I have had all the necessary test antibody test and all came back negative.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know your numbers for your hba1c but I am t2 and have only been on one medication, metformin, and have halved my levels from 101 to 46 in 12 weeks with a low carb diet. I have also lost weight and 4 inches off my waist.

You need to check you bs before eating and 2 hours after and then see what the difference is then. If it's more than 2 pts up then you've eaten things to avoid in the future.

I went to meat and veg with only about 50g of carbs a day and have been reintroducing things. I might eat a quarter slice bread, never potatoes and no pasta or rice. Rice is one thing pretty guaranteed to raise bs by what most people on here say.

Also, I am sure someone will come on and talk about the high fat aspect of LCHF as that really helps with energy levels and might mean you can work out more. I haven't skimped on get although not gone mad and still lost weight and gained energy.

There is loads of advice to be gained here. Just ask.

Also, if the medication is making you go up and down so much I would strongly suggest speaking to your HCP about what's going on.

My hba1c is 62, I'm on metformin too but along with those other drugs. I want to change my diet and have more energy to move more and shed the weight because I have watched a few YouTube videos and I know that to much fat is the main issue for insulin resistance obviously the carbohydrates are too but that's a goal of mine to shed the extra kilos to get better

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With an hba1c of 62, it shouldn't take you too long to get your numbers down. I would make an appointment with the nurse. Say you want to change your diet and would like to drop the glicazide for,say,3 months and reassess after that time.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a little bit of everything
and that is likely the problem. Probably more carbs than you realise and more than you can cope with.

What you are doing may be lower carb but not really low carb. Have you read any guides to what low carb actually is? Do you understand all the places they hide . Diet doctor.com have excellent explanations and graphics to help. Maybe you could list what you eat in a typical day and quantities and we could see if there’s anything we could help tweak. I already see rice which can be very problematic.

can you just clarify if you are still taking all those meds whilst trying low carb? if so you are likely to hypo. They need reducing /stopping whilst doing this. See your dr for help with that.

are you testing before and 2hrs after eating as explained above. That more than anything will show you where the problems lie.

I know that to much fat is the main issue for insulin resistance
. If you mean dietary fat no it’s not. If you mean Body fat around the internal organs then yes it’s a problem.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and that is likely the problem. Probably more carbs than you realise and more than you can cope with.

What you are doing may be lower carb but not really low carb. Have you read any guides to what low carb actually is? Do you understand all the places they hide . Diet doctor.com have excellent explanations and graphics to help. Maybe you could list what you eat in a typical day and quantities and we could see if there’s anything we could help tweak. I already see rice which can be very problematic.

can you just clarify if you are still taking all those meds whilst trying low carb? if so you are likely to hypo. They need reducing /stopping whilst doing this. See your dr for help with that.

are you testing before and 2hrs after eating as explained above. That more than anything will show you where the problems lie.

. If you mean dietary fat no it’s not. If you mean Body fat around the internal organs then yes it’s a problem.

Maybe I will need to look up that site.

I test before my meals and 2hr after. Usually levels are in the 10-12mmol range in the morning and after breakfast its 6 points up and breakfast its only maybe 3 or 4 points up. I would love to wake up to 6's or 7's and maybe have 8's 9's after meals.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With an hba1c of 62, it shouldn't take you too long to get your numbers down. I would make an appointment with the nurse. Say you want to change your diet and would like to drop the glicazide for,say,3 months and reassess after that time.
There's your answer...
How many and what kind of carbs are you having?

I just eat in moderation pasta rice noodles and I use a small plate and I would measure how much I eat with a scale I want to get rid of the carbohydrates but I dont know what else to eat.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just eat in moderation pasta rice noodles and I use a small plate and I would measure how much I eat with a scale I want to get rid of the carbohydrates but I dont know what else to eat.
You need to cut those carbs completely for a while. But first drop the glicazide. As a T2 you are carbohydrate intolerant. You can always reintroduce them at a later date, after you know what your doing. Your meter will tell you whether you are doing the right thing or not.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to cut those carbs completely for a while. But first drop the glicazide. As a T2 you are carbohydrate intolerant. You can always reintroduce them at a later date, after you know what your doing. Your meter will tell you whether you are doing the right thing or not.

I don't know what else to eat I usually used to egg weetabix in the morning now I'm eating 3 eggs and for dinner I will have a small amount of rice with veggies. I dont snack inbetween meals. I try to be sensible I know people who tell me to enjoy life sometime, enjoy a cake and that but my blood sugars aren't in agreement with that.