Still having trouble sleeping

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I'm struggling to sleep I've tried cbd oil and nothing else seems to work, doctor wont give me any pills so that's I have to be up around 0530 in the morning for work and I go to bed around 0945 everything is switched off apart from me. I am really struggling its having a huge impact on my work and obviously health too. My last meal is around 1600 and I dont drink any caffeine either or any high in carbs.(although I know that can make people sleep too) I remember being able to switch off without any effort 8 months or so ago, on my days off I dont have any problems since I dont need to be up early but my routine is the same usually 0945pm in bed. So that's the problem. I need to know what I could do, or am I lacking vitamins or minerals or something, my blood sugars are in the 6s by the time I'm In bed. I thought getting my bloods down would help but guess not. Any advice would be great.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A mindfullness course, a walk before bed, meditation, have you tried stuff like that? Lately things have been stressfull here so I've had some trouble sleeping, (CBD kept me knocked out once I slept, but getting there was an issue....). I ended up looking up video's of people popping zits on youtube, haha. It's surprisingly relaxing. (Loan Nguyen's good). Seriously though, what changed so the sleeping went bad? A diagnosis, something at work or in your homelife, is there anything that could have triggered this? Or on its own, sheer anxiety about not being able to sleep, making it a perpetual problem? Something happened 8 months ago. Try and figure out what it was, and see whether it's something you can tackle.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A mindfullness course, a walk before bed, meditation, have you tried stuff like that? Lately things have been stressfull here so I've had some trouble sleeping, (CBD kept me knocked out once I slept, but getting there was an issue....). I ended up looking up video's of people popping zits on youtube, haha. It's surprisingly relaxing. (Loan Nguyen's good). Seriously though, what changed so the sleeping went bad? A diagnosis, something at work or in your homelife, is there anything that could have triggered this? Or on its own, sheer anxiety about not being able to sleep, making it a perpetual problem? Something happened 8 months ago. Try and figure out what it was, and see whether it's something you can tackle.

I started working In the morning. But I did sleep well for a few months, I dont know what's going on to be honest even my doctor doesn't know I've been on mirtazapine before but it didnt really work for me. So I stopped it after a months use. I've tried every pill on the market even melatonin I bought online, I do have anxiety I thought cbd oil would help but it didnt maybe I'm using a wrong brand I dont know.. I start to feel sleepy around 0530am when I'm suppose to get up so I might start work in the evening or try find a way to switch off around 0945-1000 my liver is 166 I've been told that could effect sleep?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use piriton!
It is for my severe itching late at night in my arms.
It can make you drowsy, but will help you dropping off and I too get up very early without setting my alarm. I go to bed at eleven (ish!)
But then I only need about six hours a night!

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried exercise ? I get good sleep when I’m physically tired.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried exercise ? I get good sleep when I’m physically tired.

I exercise 4x a week, I walk work which is exercise. That hasn't helped I have had showers before bed which also hasn't worked.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I exercise 4x a week, I walk work which is exercise. That hasn't helped I have had showers before bed which also hasn't worked.

Oh ok. That sounds a lot more than my exercise. Hope you’ll find a solution.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh ok. That sounds a lot more than my exercise. Hope you’ll find a solution.

My understanding is, my liver function atl is high.. if fat around the liver is probably stopping the liver from doing its job properly and maybe that's one reason another reason I know I'm not eating everything that has all the vitamins in so maybe a deficiency in something I was vitamin d deficient but I'm on supplements now, all my doctors have told me is the body will sleep and you will fall asleep theres no disease that will stop you from falling asleep, right, but I'm switching of when im suppose to be getting up around 3am-4am I start to yawn and get tired closer to my work time. So obviously I know I can sleep but not when I need to switch off. I have usually a routine where I sleep from 0945 to 1045. I dont know what to do. I'm not sure anymore I dont want to start working evening shifts either because some people told me that I should sleep around 4am and get a good sleep and start later in the evening that's beside the point if I can get tired and go bed around 0945 I can go my morning shift I dont like working evening times.

Reactions: michita

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started working In the morning. But I did sleep well for a few months, I dont know what's going on to be honest even my doctor doesn't know I've been on mirtazapine before but it didnt really work for me. So I stopped it after a months use. I've tried every pill on the market even melatonin I bought online, I do have anxiety I thought cbd oil would help but it didnt maybe I'm using a wrong brand I dont know.. I start to feel sleepy around 0530am when I'm suppose to get up so I might start work in the evening or try find a way to switch off around 0945-1000 my liver is 166 I've been told that could effect sleep?
The CBD oil, how much were you taking, and what brand? I usually go for Jacob Hooy's 2,75%, maximum dose of 15 drops about 15 minutes before bed. (I tried a no-brand once, and it didn't do anything. TV show checked the amounts of actual CBD paste in various oils and some were basically just olive or sunflowerseed oil, barely a trace amount of CBD in there!) There are stronger ones in Hooy's line, but those gave me migraines. My anxiety is pretty severe, and CBD does calm my nerves some if I have to go someplace with a lot of people. (Like an Alice Cooper concert, Comic Con or a Christmas Fair). I need quite a bit for it to work though. One drop isn't going to make a difference.

There's loads of physical reasons why you can't get to sleep. Could be a vitamin deficiency, hormonal, gut-health (plenty of good bacteria required), could be that fatty liver, and loads of people with high bloodsugars sleep badly too... The liver can be fixed by going low carb/high fat, which'll also knock down your bloodsugars, if you haven't started that already. Could also be the anxiety/pressure of having to sleep before a certain time...

Don't give up, there's a solution out there somewhere.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The CBD oil, how much were you taking, and what brand? I usually go for Jacob Hooy's 2,75%, maximum dose of 15 drops about 15 minutes before bed. (I tried a no-brand once, and it didn't do anything. TV show checked the amounts of actual CBD paste in various oils and some were basically just olive or sunflowerseed oil, barely a trace amount of CBD in there!) There are stronger ones in Hooy's line, but those gave me migraines. My anxiety is pretty severe, and CBD does calm my nerves some if I have to go someplace with a lot of people. (Like an Alice Cooper concert, Comic Con or a Christmas Fair). I need quite a bit for it to work though. One drop isn't going to make a difference.

There's loads of physical reasons why you can't get to sleep. Could be a vitamin deficiency, hormonal, gut-health (plenty of good bacteria required), could be that fatty liver, and loads of people with high bloodsugars sleep badly too... The liver can be fixed by going low carb/high fat, which'll also knock down your bloodsugars, if you haven't started that already. Could also be the anxiety/pressure of having to sleep before a certain time...

Don't give up, there's a solution out there somewhere.

I was vitamin d deficient, now I'm supplementing, I will go Holland and barrett and get a better quality one and you say 15 drops isnt something i usually do itll run out quick but will try it. I usually put it under my tongue.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was vitamin d deficient, now I'm supplementing, I will go Holland and barrett and get a better quality one and you say 15 drops isnt something i usually do itll run out quick but will try it. I usually put it under my tongue.
That's what I do. There's capsules, which I guess is for people who can't stand the taste, but they are a lot more effective if you have them under the tongue for a few minutes. And I never pay full price at H&B's, the medium sizes bottles are two for one, or second half price quite regularly. And those do last me a while, thankfully. ;)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never pay full price at H&B
Me neither. H&B offers are so frequent, I regard their half price, or at very worst 3 for the price of 2, as normal. I hope they won't read this and change their ways!

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's what I do. There's capsules, which I guess is for people who can't stand the taste, but they are a lot more effective if you have them under the tongue for a few minutes. And I never pay full price at H&B's, the medium sizes bottles are two for one, or second half price quite regularly. And those do last me a while, thankfully. ;)

I dont mind the taste, I've tried tablets before too, I've found that nothing seems to work. I was on mirtazapine before but although it did make me sleep it didnt feel like I got a good nights sleep I would still feel tired throughout the day. Propranolol for anxiety too but I found that it wasnt good for diabetics. I'm trying chamomile tea. I'm giving it a week to see If it's better

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may be an odd one, but I used audible. I got for example the Harry potter books which I knew quite well. Set a 30 mins sleep timing on my phone and let Stephen fry lul me to sleep on low volume.

I don't know why it works but it really does for me, I think my mind is kind concentrating just enough on the book that it clears my mind, but I know the story so I don't find myself interested in such a way that I stay awake. I tend to have to wind back 20 to 25 mins the next night which gives me a. Idea how quickly I go off when I used to lie awake for a long time

MyTravelTips

Ugh, I'm going through a phase of insomnia as well now. Have not been able to fall asleep before 1:30am for the past 3 weeks. Up at 6:30 the next morning.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ugh, I'm going through a phase of insomnia as well now. Have not been able to fall asleep before 1:30am for the past 3 weeks. Up at 6:30 the next morning.

What has been working for me is CBD oil 5% I take about 5-10 drops under my tongue 1 hour before bed and it has done the trick for me.

dipsydo

I wonder if you are going to bed a bit early , I found when I got up at 5.30 for work I did not need to go to bed until 10.30 or even 11 o’clock. Also I found a hot bath but not a shower would relax me before bed and a boring book ( ie not a thriller ) helped . The important thing I found was not lying in bed trying to sleep if I did not feel tired. I would get up and find something boring to do . I also notice you do not have a problem on your days off so could you be worried that you might not wake up in time for work ? Or is there something else which you do on your days off which you could replicate on your working days?

mouseee

I always have Radio 4extra on which has comedy at 10pm. I set the timer for an hour and am usually asleep before the end of the first programme. I have to have the timer as I don't like waking up with it on in the middle of the night!

I have some real favs which I go back to and listen again, they're like a comfort blanket!

My theory is it's a bit like story time! It lets my body relax while I listen and also stops my brain from over thinking stuff which can stop me sleeping.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if you are going to bed a bit early , I found when I got up at 5.30 for work I did not need to go to bed until 10.30 or even 11 o’clock. Also I found a hot bath but not a shower would relax me before bed and a boring book ( ie not a thriller ) helped . The important thing I found was not lying in bed trying to sleep if I did not feel tired. I would get up and find something boring to do . I also notice you do not have a problem on your days off so could you be worried that you might not wake up in time for work ? Or is there something else which you do on your days off which you could replicate on your working days?

On my days off I fall asleep around 1030-1130, but on my working days I will struggle to sleep even after 1130 I only occasionally stay up later to watch boxing or mma maybe once or twice a month over than that I usually will most definitely fall asleep without knowing. CBD oil helps at times but I think I may need to change my work schedule to evenings.