HB1Ac has increased from 45 to 46 in two months.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already identified the cold medication as well as any underlying infection may have raised levels. The extra carbs at dinner could just be enough to be bumping the overall average up a little, as could the hi low bread (not actually that low btw just a bit lower than normal bread) as grains are a major trigger for some of us and the low carb snack bars are almost as bad for me as any other type according to my meter.
I have to maintain really low bordering on keto levels of carbs in order to stay still on my hb1ac. Others can manage more. Perhaps you, sadly, are in the first group more than the second.

I eat double cream and soft cheese whipped up thickly with vanilla or peppermint essence and a little erythritol (Safe for me bgl wise) as my main sweet treat and fat filler, and a little 85% chocolate. Sadly the more we feed the sweet cravings (even with bgl safe methods) the more our brains crave them. It’s a constant battle for me too to not get back into that cycle, so in that sense total abstinence is easier than moderation

Reactions: DJC3

Saur

As already identified the cold medication as well as any underlying infection may have raised levels. The extra carbs at dinner could just be enough to be bumping the overall average up a little, as could the hi low bread (not actually that low btw just a bit lower than normal bread) as grains are a major trigger for some of us and the low carb snack bars are almost as bad for me as any other type according to my meter.
I have to maintain really low bordering on keto levels of carbs in order to stay still on my hb1ac. Others can manage more. Perhaps you, sadly, are in the first group more than the second.

I eat double cream and soft cheese whipped up thickly with vanilla or peppermint essence and a little erythritol (Safe for me bgl wise) as my main sweet treat and fat filler, and a little 85% chocolate. Sadly the more we feed the sweet cravings (even with bgl safe methods) the more our brains crave them. It’s a constant battle for me too to not get back into that cycle, so in that sense total abstinence is easier than moderation
Thankyou so much for the Information you have given. I am also lover of bread, and finding it difficult to give up.

Saur

Yes
Saur, maybe you are over anxious about your (excellent) results, which the WHO regard as pre-diabetic. 48 is the point at which it considers diabetes to be out of control. Keep on with the controlled diet. My own HbA1c was 66 mm/m three months ago (out of control), and was down to 41mm/m (pre-diabetic)yesterday by dint of controlled diet, so keep up the good work.
I am over anxious with the results. I am almost reaching to 48 which will be the Diabetic range. Even low carbing is difficult.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any ideas what sweet things I can eat
There is a lot of controversy about artificial sweeteners and some research suggests they may be bad for our micro-biomes. However the evidence for the harmful effects of sugar and starch for those of us with impaired glucose tolerance is imo far far stronger. I am obliged to eat VLC (20-30g carbs daily). I too am only human and I have decided that it is worth the risk to have something satisfyingly sweet at the end of a meal.

I have discovered that most artificial sweeteners available over the counter do raise bg, and many are even cut with up to 50% sugar!!! Erythritol seems not to raise bg for most people here, including me. It has a texture like castor sugar but it is somewhat less sweet. For me a portion of Total 5% fat Greek yoghurt sprinkled with erythritol is a great treat. I also like Slim rice, rather expensive but currently on offer at Holland & Barratt. I eat it every daywith ground linseed, erythritol and double cream!
upload_2019-10-31_20-24-44.jpeg

I have not been able to find erythritol in supermarkets. Unfortunately it is expensive. I buy it over the internet from Pink Sun: https://www.pinksun.co.uk/erythritol My go-to for sweetening herb tea is saccharine. This is extremely cheap, very sweet, and the little tubes are conveniently portable. I buy mine from Home Bargains. The other sweetener that doesn't raise bg is Stevia. I have not tried it, but many here like it best. But beware - over the counter it is often adulterated with elements that do raise bg.

NB I do not have any financial interest in the above recommendations.

My heartfelt advice to @Saur or anyone trying to follow a low carb path is ALWAYS LOOK AT THE LABEL. Even if the product is prescribed by a Dr or sold in a chemist or marketed as containing less sugar. Turn it over and check how many grammes of carb per 100g.

Good luck!

Reactions: KK123 and HSSS

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
plain yogurt with nuts for breakfast
You may be able to shave off a few g carbs by changing to Total 5% fat Greek yoghurt. It is the lowest carb yoghurt that is readily available.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hi all,
I had problems with lifting shopping etc and went to see the doctor. She advised it may be best to get a blood text done. My last test was end of August. I got my blood test today and it has increased.
I have been following a low carb diet and I don’t understand why the A1ac has increased. I had a flu jab last week and had a cold for two weeks. I was taking lose Lozenges and cough mixtures. Could the cold medication make my reading higher. Would a flu jab make a difference. If I had the test in two months instead of waiting three months would this make a difference.
I would grateful for your advise.
You are doing ok, a rise of 1 is minuscule. Low carb works so stick with it. Infections, stress, not sleeping all affect your BG. Is there a huge difference between your before meals and two hours after? Mine can go up to 9 from 6 two hours after but at 4 hours after will usually be back to the before results.
Check the labels of lozenges and cough mixture. Should I need cough medicine I always ask the chemist for Simple Linctus it's sugar free and is the basic recipe for most other cough medicines but before the sugar and flavourings are put in to make it taste nicer, it is always much much cheaper. Haven't needed it recently but years ago Boots would sell you a litre at a time but I don't think they do that now. But it came in useful with three of us at home.
Keep low carbing it is the answer.

Saur

Saur, maybe you are over anxious about your (excellent) results, which the WHO regard as pre-diabetic. 48 is the point at which it considers diabetes to be out of control. Keep on with the controlled diet. My own HbA1c was 66 mm/m three months ago (out of control), and was down to 41mm/m (pre-diabetic)yesterday by dint of controlled diet, so keep up the good work.
Well done for getting your readings down. I am over anxious as no improvement since nine months of being diagonised as prediabetic. I have followed the low carb diet and readings have been good when testing. So I am surprised why nothing has changed. I suppose the reading could be other times when I am not testing.

Saur

You are doing ok, a rise of 1 is minuscule. Low carb works so stick with it. Infections, stress, not sleeping all affect your BG. Is there a huge difference between your before meals and two hours after? Mine can go up to 9 from 6 two hours after but at 4 hours after will usually be back to the before results.
Check the labels of lozenges and cough mixture. Should I need cough medicine I always ask the chemist for Simple Linctus it's sugar free and is the basic recipe for most other cough medicines but before the sugar and flavourings are put in to make it taste nicer, it is always much much cheaper. Haven't needed it recently but years ago Boots would sell you a litre at a time but I don't think they do that now. But it came in useful with three of us at home.
Keep low carbing it is the answer.
Thankyou so much for your support. I will definitely keep an eye on the lozenges, cough mixture if I get a cold next time. This time I have been unlucky as the symptoms have lasted nearly 2.5 weeks. I had really bad throat and also chesty cough. My readings have been good from 5.7 to 7. It can go slightly higher when eating out. So I try to cut further carbs in the week.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Snack bars are very high in sugar - I'm prediabetic and tested blood sugar after a snack bar and it was 8.9mmol/l - waay too high. Coffee with double cream puts it up for me too - annoying but true. Rice - of any sort is not for me either. I'm doing all this testing as my HBa1c had gone up after 2 months of low carbing when I had lost a further 7lbs in weight.

Trying to get a good result when bloods are re-checked in Jan 20

As others have said, the cough syrup/lozenges are full of sugar. I would stop having coke/diet coke also if you're keen on getting it down.
We are all individuals and, like everything, the number of carbs and their effect on BS differ depending on which snack bar you have and the person consuming it - I have tried a few and, through testing, know which ones I can eat. I also have about 5 diet drinks per week and, again, they don’t affect my BS.

Saur

There is a lot of controversy about artificial sweeteners and some research suggests they may be bad for our micro-biomes. However the evidence for the harmful effects of sugar and starch for those of us with impaired glucose tolerance is imo far far stronger. I am obliged to eat VLC (20-30g carbs daily). I too am only human and I have decided that it is worth the risk to have something satisfyingly sweet at the end of a meal.

I have discovered that most artificial sweeteners available over the counter do raise bg, and many are even cut with up to 50% sugar!!! Erythritol seems not to raise bg for most people here, including me. It has a texture like castor sugar but it is somewhat less sweet. For me a portion of Total 5% fat Greek yoghurt sprinkled with erythritol is a great treat. I also like Slim rice, rather expensive but currently on offer at Holland & Barratt. I eat it every daywith ground linseed, erythritol and double cream!
View attachment 36480

I have not been able to find erythritol in supermarkets. Unfortunately it is expensive. I buy it over the internet from Pink Sun: https://www.pinksun.co.uk/erythritol My go-to for sweetening herb tea is saccharine. This is extremely cheap, very sweet, and the little tubes are conveniently portable. I buy mine from Home Bargains. The other sweetener that doesn't raise bg is Stevia. I have not tried it, but many here like it best. But beware - over the counter it is often adulterated with elements that do raise bg.

NB I do not have any financial interest in the above recommendations.

My heartfelt advice to @Saur or anyone trying to follow a low carb path is ALWAYS LOOK AT THE LABEL. Even if the product is prescribed by a Dr or sold in a chemist or marketed as containing less sugar. Turn it over and check how many grammes of carb per 100g.

Good luck!
I go to Holland & Barrett and thought all rice is bad and never looked in there. I’ll five it a go. Thankyou.

Saur

We are all individuals and, like everything, the number of carbs and their effect on BS differ depending on which snack bar you have and the person consuming it - I have tried a few and, through testing, know which ones I can eat. I also have about 5 diet drinks per week and, again, they don’t affect my BS.
I also check after eating the bars and my reading wasn’t that high. A rise of 0.6 shows up. The only thing I didn’t check the medication for the cold.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Me too re the bread
Plenty of carb free or low carb bread recipes on diet doctor to experiment with, I'm trying waffles tomorrow morning.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plenty of carb free or low carb bread recipes on diet doctor to experiment with, I'm trying waffles tomorrow morning.
I know but all the low carb bread I have tried so far just doesn't stop the craving for the " real thing " I just have to fight it or have only a very little .

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I know but all the low carb bread I have tried so far just doesn't stop the craving for the " real thing " I just have to fight it or have only a very little .
Have you tried Tesco’s High Protein or Hovis’s Pumpkin and Sunflower Bread which both 10g carbs per slice. I find that one slice, crammed with filling or toasted with a couple of eggs, are enough.

Reactions: Norfolkmell

Saur

I have tried the shortbread and waffles. Sometimes I just fancy going to the supermarket and be able to get low carb bakery.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I go to Holland & Barrett and thought all rice is bad and never looked in there. I’ll five it a go. Thankyou.
Don't be put off by the rather horrid smell when you open the sachet. It is not the rice itself, but the fluid it is stored in. Just drain and rinse thoroughly. I find half a sachet is enough for a portion. Of course it works out much dearer than ordinary rice, but at least H&B almost always has it at around half price. I usually also manage to profit by one of their "spend £X and save 10-15%" offers as I am happy to buy in bulk. And then I earn points ...!