1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HB1Ac has increased from 45 to 46 in two months.

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Saur, Oct 30, 2019.

1. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As already identified the cold medication as well as any underlying infection may have raised levels. The extra carbs at dinner could just be enough to be bumping the overall average up a little, as could the hi low bread (not actually that low btw just a bit lower than normal bread) as grains are a major trigger for some of us and the low carb snack bars are almost as bad for me as any other type according to my meter.
    I have to maintain really low bordering on keto levels of carbs in order to stay still on my hb1ac. Others can manage more. Perhaps you, sadly, are in the first group more than the second.

I eat double cream and soft cheese whipped up thickly with vanilla or peppermint essence and a little erythritol (Safe for me bgl wise) as my main sweet treat and fat filler, and a little 85% chocolate. Sadly the more we feed the sweet cravings (even with bgl safe methods) the more our brains crave them. It’s a constant battle for me too to not get back into that cycle, so in that sense total abstinence is easier than moderation

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

Thankyou so much for the Information you have given. I am also lover of bread, and finding it difficult to give up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

Yes
    I am over anxious with the results. I am almost reaching to 48 which will be the Diabetic range. Even low carbing is difficult.

4. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

There is a lot of controversy about artificial sweeteners and some research suggests they may be bad for our micro-biomes. However the evidence for the harmful effects of sugar and starch for those of us with impaired glucose tolerance is imo far far stronger. I am obliged to eat VLC (20-30g carbs daily). I too am only human and I have decided that it is worth the risk to have something satisfyingly sweet at the end of a meal.

I have discovered that most artificial sweeteners available over the counter do raise bg, and many are even cut with up to 50% sugar!!! Erythritol seems not to raise bg for most people here, including me. It has a texture like castor sugar but it is somewhat less sweet. For me a portion of Total 5% fat Greek yoghurt sprinkled with erythritol is a great treat. I also like Slim rice, rather expensive but currently on offer at Holland & Barratt. I eat it every daywith ground linseed, erythritol and double cream!
    upload_2019-10-31_20-24-44.jpeg

I have not been able to find erythritol in supermarkets. Unfortunately it is expensive. I buy it over the internet from Pink Sun: https://www.pinksun.co.uk/erythritol My go-to for sweetening herb tea is saccharine. This is extremely cheap, very sweet, and the little tubes are conveniently portable. I buy mine from Home Bargains. The other sweetener that doesn't raise bg is Stevia. I have not tried it, but many here like it best. But beware - over the counter it is often adulterated with elements that do raise bg.

NB I do not have any financial interest in the above recommendations.

My heartfelt advice to @Saur or anyone trying to follow a low carb path is ALWAYS LOOK AT THE LABEL. Even if the product is prescribed by a Dr or sold in a chemist or marketed as containing less sugar. Turn it over and check how many grammes of carb per 100g.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alexandra100

You may be able to shave off a few g carbs by changing to Total 5% fat Greek yoghurt. It is the lowest carb yoghurt that is readily available.

6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. Alexandra100

8. Norfolkmell

Norfolkmell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are doing ok, a rise of 1 is minuscule. Low carb works so stick with it. Infections, stress, not sleeping all affect your BG. Is there a huge difference between your before meals and two hours after? Mine can go up to 9 from 6 two hours after but at 4 hours after will usually be back to the before results.
    Check the labels of lozenges and cough mixture. Should I need cough medicine I always ask the chemist for Simple Linctus it's sugar free and is the basic recipe for most other cough medicines but before the sugar and flavourings are put in to make it taste nicer, it is always much much cheaper. Haven't needed it recently but years ago Boots would sell you a litre at a time but I don't think they do that now. But it came in useful with three of us at home.
    Keep low carbing it is the answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

Well done for getting your readings down. I am over anxious as no improvement since nine months of being diagonised as prediabetic. I have followed the low carb diet and readings have been good when testing. So I am surprised why nothing has changed. I suppose the reading could be other times when I am not testing.

10. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

Thankyou so much for your support. I will definitely keep an eye on the lozenges, cough mixture if I get a cold next time. This time I have been unlucky as the symptoms have lasted nearly 2.5 weeks. I had really bad throat and also chesty cough. My readings have been good from 5.7 to 7. It can go slightly higher when eating out. So I try to cut further carbs in the week.

11. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

We are all individuals and, like everything, the number of carbs and their effect on BS differ depending on which snack bar you have and the person consuming it - I have tried a few and, through testing, know which ones I can eat. I also have about 5 diet drinks per week and, again, they don’t affect my BS.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

I go to Holland & Barrett and thought all rice is bad and never looked in there. I’ll five it a go. Thankyou.

13. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

I also check after eating the bars and my reading wasn’t that high. A rise of 0.6 shows up. The only thing I didn’t check the medication for the cold.

14. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

Thank
    Thankyou will try. Have in past but is more expensive than Greek Yoghurt.

15. mojo37

mojo37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Me too re the bread

16. Norfolkmell

Norfolkmell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Plenty of carb free or low carb bread recipes on diet doctor to experiment with, I'm trying waffles tomorrow morning.

17. mojo37

mojo37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know but all the low carb bread I have tried so far just doesn't stop the craving for the " real thing " I just have to fight it or have only a very little .

18. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Have you tried Tesco’s High Protein or Hovis’s Pumpkin and Sunflower Bread which both 10g carbs per slice. I find that one slice, crammed with filling or toasted with a couple of eggs, are enough.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Saur

Saur · Well-Known Member

I have tried the shortbread and waffles. Sometimes I just fancy going to the supermarket and be able to get low carb bakery.

20. Alexandra100

Don't be put off by the rather horrid smell when you open the sachet. It is not the rice itself, but the fluid it is stored in. Just drain and rinse thoroughly. I find half a sachet is enough for a portion. Of course it works out much dearer than ordinary rice, but at least H&B almost always has it at around half price. I usually also manage to profit by one of their "spend £X and save 10-15%" offers as I am happy to buy in bulk. And then I earn points ...!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook