Whole grain bread and apple setback - help!

Skinny43

I thought I was doing well with my reduced carb diet. However really disappointed earlier when my 2 hour reading was 9.7 after just 1 slice of whole grain bread and one apple! I thought whole grain was supposed to be better then white bread. Do I have cut wheat from my diet entirely? Or was it the apple that was the culprit? I did get a reading of 9.5 last week with just 2 slices of whole bread no apple. Looks like I just replaced the 1 bread with apple. Maybe I’ll just have 1 slice next time without the apple. If apple is bad, I’m going to seriously struggle as I like my apple a day .

Any idea of what bread I could have? I bring in a sandwich to work for lunch. No idea what to bring if have to eliminate bread altogether!

Sorry for the rant ladies and guys.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I was doing well with my reduced carb diet. However really disappointed earlier when my 2 hour reading was 9.7 after just 1 slice of whole grain bread and one apple! I thought whole grain was supposed to be better then white bread. Do I have cut wheat from my diet entirely? Or was it the apple that was the culprit? I did get a reading of 9.5 last week with just 2 slices of whole bread no apple. Looks like I just replaced the 1 bread with apple. Maybe I’ll just have 1 slice next time without the apple. If apple is bad, I’m going to seriously struggle as I like my apple a day .

Any idea of what bread I could have? I bring in a sandwich to work for lunch. No idea what to bring if have to eliminate bread altogether!

Sorry for the rant ladies and guys.
Hi @Skinny43 ,

Most low carbing members wouldn't touch bread... And they'd steer clear of apples too. There ARE breads that fit in a low carb diet though. LivLife for instance. I don't know all the brands because I'm Dutch, sorry, but there's supposed to be a few alternatives. Or you could google keto mug bread and keto mug cake. The bread's almond flour based and won't spike you. Grains/wheat/rice/flour/spuds/pasta etc are all bad news for a T2, and most fruits are too... (I mean, about 15 grams of sugar in one apple...? That's a lot.). Berries are fine though, especially when taken with cream or full fat greek yoghurt. I don't remember whether I've shared this with you before, sorry if I'm repeating myself, but it does answer your questions a little more thoroughly; https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Good luck. And I'm sorry about the apples...
Jo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
An apple has about as much carbs as a slice of bread, so 2 slices of bread would be expected to have about the same effect as one slice of bread and an apple.
You could try one slice of bread and something without carbs, like cheese?

Lately I found making a very thin omelet and use it as a wrap nice instead of bread.

M

Member496333

Fructose is the silent assassin in the apple. Glucose is only half the story. Particularly if you are type 2.

Reactions: jjraak

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apple does not seem to spike me at all, the bread would though

Skinny43

Thank you for the replies. It looks like an apple is as bad as a slice of bread then (if not worse). Just surprised because apple is supposed to be the “good” food. I guess that’s part of error while learning and I’ll just have to miss my apple . Maybe I’ll swap it with berries as Jo suggested. Or maybe tomato which I also like.

I work full time with a 3 year old. My hubby usually prepares my lunch in the morning. We have to find something easy to prepare if I bread is not be taken.

BTW Jo, I can’t seem to open the link from my iPhone. I’ll try from my pc when I get home later.

M

Member496333

I’ll experiment to separate them out then. Thanks!

Don't forget you can't measure the effect of fructose in the liver. This is a serious consideration if you are type 2. Fructose generally doesn't increase blood glucose but it does incrementally increase insulin resistance.

Skinny43

Does any of you know how much carbs I should aim for each day? Will low carb instead of the extreme keto enough to keep me away from type 2 diabetes? Currently in the prediabetes range with a result of 44 last month. Main problem is after meal which varies from 6 to high 9’s depending what I eat. Would 50 grams per day be low enough for me or I need to aim for lower if I want to reverse prediabetes? I know it’s possibly different for each person but is there a general rule of thumb as a good starting point? Thanks!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a maximum of two small slices of low carb bread a day. Sometimes none. Some days I have an apple as it goes nicely in a packed lunch box and goes nicely with the cheese that I eat.

Having said that, I am pretty tight on my carb intake otherwise. Milk being the only other key food in my diet that has man6 carbs in it. To a degree it depends a bit on what the rest of ones diet comprises.

There can be some wriggle room depending on the individual and their condition, it would seem.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does any of you know how much carbs I should aim for each day? Will low carb instead of the extreme keto enough to keep me away from type 2 diabetes? Currently in the prediabetes range with a result of 44 last month. Main problem is after meal which varies from 6 to high 9’s depending what I eat. Would 50 grams per day be low enough for me or I need to aim for lower if I want to reverse prediabetes? I know it’s possibly different for each person but is there a general rule of thumb as a good starting point? Thanks!
Low carb of 130 grams per day or less has knocked me clear of the diabetes and Prediabetes range.

Skinny43

Don't forget you can't measure the effect of fructose in the liver. This is a serious consideration if you are type 2. Fructose generally doesn't increase blood glucose but it does incrementally increase insulin resistance.

I’m prediabetic (I think pre type 2).
I thought Fructose is only a problem when consumed in juice or added sugar but looks like I’m wrong. I’m learning to eat low carb so will have to restrict myself on apple anyway. Berries and tomatoes to go...

Skinny43

Low carb of 130 grams per day or less has knocked me clear of the diabetes and Prediabetes range.

Thanks for sharing! 130 grams sound quite high still. I think my one slice of bread and one apple add to about 40 grams for lunch which was clearly too much. Maybe I am more insulin resistant and need to aim for less. I can start with 20grams per meal to see how that goes.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing! 130 grams sound quite high still. I think my one slice of bread and one apple add to about 40 grams for lunch which was clearly too much. Maybe I am more insulin resistant and need to aim for less. I can start with 20grams per meal to see how that goes.
Well yes, low and high are relative terms. 130 is still classed as low. They way I dealt with it was to go as low as I needed to. Some obviously need to go lower, depending on their condition.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did some reading into that and the studies i have read were looking at Fructose being abused causing the issues.

Like they use it as a sweetener, or in juice.

Jim, could you post any studies you read that are looking at lower levels of fructose like an apple? I am also a fruit eater based on what i have read. I have cut out anything tropical but apple, pear etc are still part of my diet.

I would be very interested to read about their effects on insulin resistance (not withstanding the ones i have read that are looking at high levels of intake associated with its use as a sweetener and in juices)

M

Member496333

Jim, could you post any studies you read that are looking at lower levels of fructose like an apple?

I'm afraid I have nothing to hand. The majority of my learnings come from books and podcasts.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not for one moment suggesting anyone needs to be afraid of an apple. I'm just highlighting that measuring its effect with a glucometer only tells half the story, since fructose generally does not raise blood glucose under most normal conditions.

Skinny43

Well yes, low and high are relative terms. 130 is still classed as low. They way I dealt with it was to go as low as I needed to. Some obviously need to go lower, depending on their condition.

Yes good principle to go as low as needed. I suspect I needed lower and will experiment and see. Thank you! You haven’t seen my usual portion of rice prior to the wake up call of prediabetes - must be over 200grams per meal!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes good principle to go as low as needed. I suspect I needed lower and will experiment and see. Thank you! You haven’t seen my usual portion of rice prior to the wake up call of prediabetes - must be over 200grams per meal!
I don’t eat rice anymore. I either do without or have a diced up cauliflower substitute.