Type 2 I don't like food

Ally 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

Does anybody else have this problem?

I really don't like food and eat purely to stay alive. I find no enjoyment in cooking food or even going to a restaurant choosing something to eat... in fact I find it very embarrassing.

I eat around 20 different foods, where the staple products are bread and potatoes - which probably explains why I'm diabetic type 2. The remainder is made up of meat, with a few veg and fruit thrown in. I don't particularly like the veg and would rather not eat it, but it's a needs must! I eat 3 meals a day, without snacking inbetween.

I've been to more dieticians than I care to mention and all they do is tell me what I should eat, I know what I should eat, but how many meals does the average person eat where they don't actually like the food in front of them?

I would love to try the low carb diet, to lower my levels, but how would that work, with so little food intake.

Would be good to hear your thoughts
Thanks

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, first question I would ask is what do you think you 'should' eat and why? I think it can be easy to start to hate food when you are constantly worried about will it do this, is it good for me, will it raise my levels and on and on. I reckon you should start again and find a (new) list of foods that you actually DO like and if you are concerned about glucose levels and your diabetes, then maybe choose foods that you will like that are low/lower carb? Make your list and you never know, you might fall in love with food again. I reckon that a lot of food aversions come from the constant agonising over 'What will this do to me', especially if you have diabetes. Once you have a list of tasty favourites that you know won't harm you, it all becomes easier and guilt free. x

M

Member496333

I reckon that a lot of food aversions come from the constant agonising over 'What will this do to me', especially if you have diabetes.

This is exactly how I felt in my first year with T2 before I found my mojo. Everything was a compromise. I felt like I was negotiating with food. Counting, weighing, testing, sighing. I didn't enjoy anything. All food became the enemy. It was depressing beyond belief. Discovering keto and then carnivore has turned my life around. Not looked back once. Everything I now eat is super-easy and super-delicious. On top of that, my diabetes has vanished and I don't even have to think about it anymore.

@Ally 2 I totally empathise with you, but there is a way out. You just have to find your path. You have certainly come to the right place to share your experiences and maybe learn from those of others who have walked the same plank. Welcome aboard!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have so many foods that I'm Intolerant to!
And also an aversion to other foods notably cooked vegetables.

I have had to find a balance of protein, fats and vegetables without the carbs!
And it doesn't mean that you do without a lot of your favourite ones either!
I also use intermittent fasting to help when I don't want to eat!
You would be surprised how little food we actually need.

And it's not that hard either!

I've been told by my doctors, nurses, dieticians and endocrinologists that I must have certain foods or I would be ill!
Well, I'm not!
In fact I'm really healthy!

Those so called healthy foods, are for someone like me, are really not healthy!

Reactions: Ally 2

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ally 2 welcome to the forum.

If you don’t like food, I’d agree with @Jim Lahey and @bulkbiker keep it simple.

If you’re not keen on veg and fruit, the good news is you don’t need to eat it. Stick to the meat, eat to satiety and stop.

Hopefully you can get some ideas here and find the way that suits you.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Ally 2 This site is such a great place to find out stuff that the ''experts" would not agree with or deem fit to tell you.

Do your own thing, base it loosely or adhere strictly to what you see others do that you think/feel you would fancy doing.

What you do/eat is entirely down to you my friend. LCHF is great way to eat for many of us, we have found quite simply that it works... the what where why and when is as numerable as the posters... which now has an extra 1: YOU!

Welcome to a whole new way of thinking and eating, Enjoy!
Po

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi All

I really don't like food and eat purely to stay alive. I find no enjoyment in cooking food or even going to a restaurant choosing something to eat... in fact I find it very embarrassing.

I eat around 20 different foods, where the staple products are bread and potatoes - which probably explains why I'm diabetic type 2. The remainder is made up of meat, with a few veg and fruit thrown in. I don't particularly like the veg and would rather not eat it, but it's a needs must! I eat 3 meals a day, without snacking inbetween.

I've been to more dieticians than I care to mention and all they do is tell me what I should eat, I know what I should eat, but how many meals does the average person eat where they don't actually like the food in front of them?

I would love to try the low carb diet, to lower my levels, but how would that work, with so little food intake.

Thanks
I understand completely how you are feeling, I’m exactly the same. I don’t like many foods only English food at that. I have a very bad diet I only really eat cakes, biscuits and chocolate. I don’t like cooking, the smells make me feel ill. I work in a hospital on a ward and when meal times come round that also makes me feel physically sick the state/smell of it. I cook for my grown up sons but not myself. Today I had lunch out which is the first hot meal I’ve had in a week!

Reactions: Ally 2

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I understand completely how you are feeling, I’m exactly the same. I don’t like many foods only English food at that. I have a very bad diet I only really eat cakes, biscuits and chocolate. I don’t like cooking, the smells make me feel ill. I work in a hospital on a ward and when meal times come round that also makes me feel physically sick the state/smell of it. I cook for my grown up sons but not myself. Today I had lunch out which is the first hot meal I’ve had in a week!
Crumbs Sarah, This sounds terrible for you. You have an awful diet! You must be concerned about this.
It sounds like a diet I would love to have... But being T2, it would cause me to be very ill, very quickly.
Po

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Crumbs Sarah, This sounds terrible for you. You have an awful diet! You must be concerned about this.
It sounds like a diet I would love to have... But being T2, it would cause me to be very ill, very quickly.
Po
I love chocolate so I eat lots. I know I shouldn’t but just can’t stop, as I really don’t like much else.

I dint understand how it would make you ill, I don’t feel any different.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love chocolate so I eat lots. I know I shouldn’t but just can’t stop, as I really don’t like much else.

I dint understand how it would make you ill, I don’t feel any different.
Many people here didn’t realise how rough they felt til after they get their bloods back to decent levels. Only then do they realise that their old normal was actually pretty rubbish. Do you know your current blood glucose levels?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Thanks
There's a bunch of people here who have trouble with food... Either due to being on the autistic spectrum and not being able to deal with certain textures and the like, gluten intolerance, because of taste changes due to medication, other food intolerances like IBS, miraine triggers, rheumatism triggers, you name it, they're/we're on here. The key is basically finding what works for you specifically. If you don't want to eat three meals a day, then don't. You could have just 2, like me by implementing Intermittent fasting, or go OMAD (One Meal A Day). Going for the carnivorous diet is an option too. Just make sure you get enough nutrients and minerals, and very little carbs... And you're fine.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ will hopefully help. Go through the food items you like/tolerate, which ones are low carb or adaptable somehow, and start from there. Do whatever works for you. Otherwise it's not something you'll be able to keep up in the long run.

Good luck!
Jo

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Many people here didn’t realise how rough they felt til after they get their bloods back to decent levels. Only then do they realise that their old normal was actually pretty rubbish. Do you know your current blood glucose levels?
This is so so true in my case. Now I feel it so quickly and although I love chocolate, I abstain from eating it because the cost is so High (I am not talking about the money here)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sarah, I can relate- chocolate ia probably my favourite thing- well apart from. my limbs. I haven't eaten chocolate since my diagnosis and no plans to eat any either- one piece of chocolate would be too much- one piece of chocolate would not be enough.

I'll be completely honest and say I don't like the foods I eat but I eat what my body can tolerate. I no longer can eat breakfast as I can't tolerate the foods I can eat that easy- it ends up with me throwing up. I completely sympathise But Im only ion my 50's too easy to risk losing my sight or my limbs.

For me it's like exercise- I don't enjoy it I just do it- like making the bed- you don't have to like it you just hav e to do it. For me with exercise that approach really helped- I kept hearing of people who learned to love exercise- I never did. No I just do it- I don't have to love it. The same with the food. Most days I just eat it- some days I really don't like it. But I really like having my sight and all my limbs and I don't think I would comply with insulin so the LCHF way of life it is. I've said before the day I get diagnosed with an actual terminal illness is the day I can give up LCHF- until then that's what I'll eat- it's not a diet it's what my body needs

Really miss milk chocolate- dark chocolate doesn't do it for me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a same problem right now. I used to like food... Now I can't eat normal. BTW, I have not only this problem. I can't eat vegetables at all. I've found out that I have an intolerance on most of the vegetables. It's like diabetes is not enough :banghead:
Sounds like carnivore might be just right for you?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a same problem right now. I used to like food... Now I can't eat normal. BTW, I have not only this problem. I can't eat vegetables at all. I've found out that I have an intolerance on most of the vegetables. It's like diabetes is not enough :banghead:

Hi there, could you give us more information? I see you have diabetes but what type and are you on any medication? There is a wealth of information on this site on all types of different diets and they don't have to include veg! If I could I would choose the cheese diet! x

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have the opposite problem: I absolutely adore all food: anything you can eat, anything you can drink. It makes self-control more difficult in some ways, but at least it means I like all the low-carb options.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss chocolate so much!
But I've started to get used to cocoa - hot water, peppermint tea and cocoa powder - almost like a mint hot choco :D
Also just started making chocolate avocado mousse and chocolate cheesecakes, and chocolate protein low carb biscuits.
At first it all tasted a bit bitter, but now cocoa tastes sweet to me :D