ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Weighed 108.70kg so not bad considering I'm swollen on the tummy again. Period only lasted 2-3 days which was not suppose to be now my "hormones look like you have already gone through the change". Only every other month or more now though. Its funny but no overweight problem through change as I've had weight gain from hormones, all my life.
I feel sorry for those who've had no weight problem but get middle age spread. I was born middle aged. Ha ha.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@JohnEGreen small loss is still going in the right direction for you.
@Ryhia That's Fantastic. :) you are into "normal" weight range. Well done you. Did you have to give up the cream to achieve this?
@ickihun hope you are feeling better now.

Have not posted for a couple of weeks as we have been travelling around visiting relatives. Weighing day was on the ferry. Not ideal.
This morning weight is 48.6kg. A small gain which is good for me.
BMI 17.4 still underweight.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ryhia

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weighed 108.70kg so not bad considering I'm swollen on the tummy again. Period only lasted 2-3 days which was not suppose to be now my "hormones look like you have already gone through the change". Only every other month or more now though. Its funny but no overweight problem through change as I've had weight gain from hormones, all my life.
I feel sorry for those who've had no weight problem but get middle age spread. I was born middle aged. Ha ha.

My waist to height ratio has always been suspect, due to being short waisted, years ago, with no expectations of my later "inheritance" and kids hadn't even been thought of, I got a letter inviting me to participate in a monitoring trial for people who stood a risk of becoming diabetic. Was highly offended as I was slimmer than I am now and I cannot help being short ----. Pleased I didn't go on the trial though as I would have been encouraged to eat the precursor of the Eatwell plate so probably would have been diagnosed sooner. Was very good and ate my 5 a day of fruit and veg (probably 8 a day actually, but surely that's even better, double the benefit of Eatwell) little wonder I became Dx. :sorry:

How are you doing @ickihun? Any hospital visits/scans lined up? Is your consultant for your spinal issues Mr Lakshmanan? (Don't answer if too personal) I found him lovely.. particularly when he wrote "this 60 year old lady (it was a few years ago), who does not look her age". Won it for me;)

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnEGreen small loss is still going in the right direction for you.
@Ryhia That's Fantastic. :) you are into "normal" weight range. Well done you. Did you have to give up the cream to achieve this?
@ickihun hope you are feeling better now.

Have not posted for a couple of weeks as we have been travelling around visiting relatives. Weighing day was on the ferry. Not ideal.
This morning weight is 48.6kg. A small gain which is good for me.
BMI 17.4 still underweight.

Well done on the weight gain, even a small gain is encouraging.

My cream days may be numbered, still enjoying at present but not in so great a quantity. Forget sweet things or chocolate, Cream has always been my No.1 favourite thing to eat. I also love nuts, but may need to ration both as losing weight has put my cholesterol up to levels that the word "statins" has crept into my DNs conversation. After flatly refusing to consider, I've been let off with a warning for now - I see an argument ahead Lol. Was talking to a diabetic friend the other day who does take statins, she said her cholesterol reached 15 at one point. I think I would have run to the DN for statins if that was the case! How does anyone reach a cholesterol level of 15? I worry as mine is the in 6s.

Think I will continue to see where the low carb eating takes me plus there is always IF..

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My waist to height ratio has always been suspect, due to being short waisted, years ago, with no expectations of my later "inheritance" and kids hadn't even been thought of, I got a letter inviting me to participate in a monitoring trial for people who stood a risk of becoming diabetic. Was highly offended as I was slimmer than I am now and I cannot help being short ----. Pleased I didn't go on the trial though as I would have been encouraged to eat the precursor of the Eatwell plate so probably would have been diagnosed sooner. Was very good and ate my 5 a day of fruit and veg (probably 8 a day actually, but surely that's even better, double the benefit of Eatwell) little wonder I became Dx. :sorry:

How are you doing @ickihun? Any hospital visits/scans lined up? Is your consultant for your spinal issues Mr Lakshmanan? (Don't answer if too personal) I found him lovely.. particularly when he wrote "this 60 year old lady (it was a few years ago), who does not look her age". Won it for me;)
Still nothing done about my back/pelvic pain. Still awaiting a 'routine' scan for abdominal pain. I guess I hv to do my dutiful agony and rely on more opiates. God knows what the pain is. Like my GP says my blood tests look good. Mind u I wonder if the same before my appendix burst?!?!
Im not losing at the moment and hv noticed white stools so it could bet my gallbladder messing about and/or thyroid.
I'm the tallest woman in my family and only diabetic so I guess I defy those statistics eh?
Trust me to be odd one out. I don't connect with my sisters as we hv far different intellect and attitude. They were fun to play with but I don't play around much these days, although happiness I feel keeps us young.
Ive had an adventurous life and don't aim on that being over. My biggest burden is my walking. Even after 5st off I struggle to walk any incline, even with a crutch. This I feel is what's holding me back. I love walking, especially pain free walking.
I'm going to maintain til after Xmas or at least that's what I expect to happen. My walking is on and off due to pain. I try and regulate my painkillers so I won't get resistant to codeine. Only benefit is metformin isn't turning my tummy contents inside out. I really wished for better weight loss from metformin but the insulin injections may be contradicting it's weight loss benefit.
I might only post here infrequently til after Xmas.
Well done is your weight loss fight @Ryhia. :)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done on the weight gain, even a small gain is encouraging.

My cream days may be numbered, still enjoying at present but not in so great a quantity. Forget sweet things or chocolate, Cream has always been my No.1 favourite thing to eat. I also love nuts, but may need to ration both as losing weight has put my cholesterol up to levels that the word "statins" has crept into my DNs conversation. After flatly refusing to consider, I've been let off with a warning for now - I see an argument ahead Lol. Was talking to a diabetic friend the other day who does take statins, she said her cholesterol reached 15 at one point. I think I would have run to the DN for statins if that was the case! How does anyone reach a cholesterol level of 15? I worry as mine is the in 6s.

Think I will continue to see where the low carb eating takes me plus there is always IF..
@Ryhia if you have time, try a bit of research, think I read somewhere that cholesterol levels often have a temporary rise when losing weight. Plus most of your cholesterol is produced by your liver. Arm yourself with facts.
Exercise can help reduce both BG and cholesterol levels. Are you able to increase activity level at all?
Best wishes Liz

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ickihun can only offer sympathy for you constant battle with pain. Hugs.

Weight this morning a disappointing but not altogether unexpected loss. 47.7kg
Have run out of nut granola. So sometimes have skipped breakfast. Not been keeping a close eye on calories either. Must do better Liz.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ryhia

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ryhia if you have time, try a bit of research, think I read somewhere that cholesterol levels often have a temporary rise when losing weight. Plus most of your cholesterol is produced by your liver. Arm yourself with facts.
Exercise can help reduce both BG and cholesterol levels. Are you able to increase activity level at all?
Best wishes Liz
Hi Liz,
Yes I posted a rant after my last HbA1c results as although I had achieved "normal" blood results, my DN was only interested in my cholesterol levels and trying to get me to take statins. Those who responded to my post gave me a lot of information relating to cholesterol and statins and some good pointers to research, so I am aware that cholesterol can rise as a result of losing weight and I am hoping my numbers will reduce once my weight stabilizes. Supposed to be having a review Feb sometime, but only scheduled for that because I refused statins, otherwise would have been put on annual reviews. (They sure like to offer you support don't they) Will wait and see whether they send a reminder. Not sure I will ring to make an appointment. My GP is great and supportive but the DNs who are the ones I see for reviews leave a lot to be desired. As you rightly say, I need to arm myself with facts.

Exercise - Hmm...Well...Have been trying to increase my walking to help with BGs, I wasn't aware that walking could help with lowering cholesterol, so thank you for the info will try to up this. I used to use an air walker regularly but must admit that's tailed off a bit - need to get back to it. Wish I had the courage to take up swimming again, but not sure anyone would be able to cope with the sight of me in my cossie!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still nothing done about my back/pelvic pain. Still awaiting a 'routine' scan for abdominal pain. I guess I hv to do my dutiful agony and rely on more opiates. God knows what the pain is. Like my GP says my blood tests look good. Mind u I wonder if the same before my appendix burst?!?!
Im not losing at the moment and hv noticed white stools so it could bet my gallbladder messing about and/or thyroid.
I'm the tallest woman in my family and only diabetic so I guess I defy those statistics eh?
Trust me to be odd one out. I don't connect with my sisters as we hv far different intellect and attitude. They were fun to play with but I don't play around much these days, although happiness I feel keeps us young.
Ive had an adventurous life and don't aim on that being over. My biggest burden is my walking. Even after 5st off I struggle to walk any incline, even with a crutch. This I feel is what's holding me back. I love walking, especially pain free walking.
I'm going to maintain til after Xmas or at least that's what I expect to happen. My walking is on and off due to pain. I try and regulate my painkillers so I won't get resistant to codeine. Only benefit is metformin isn't turning my tummy contents inside out. I really wished for better weight loss from metformin but the insulin injections may be contradicting it's weight loss benefit.
I might only post here infrequently til after Xmas.
Well done is your weight loss fight @Ryhia. :)
Sorry to hear you are still waiting for your scan, hope you get an appointment soon. I once had real bad abdominal pain which lasted weeks, started to worry in case it was something really serious. Doc referred me for a CT scan, as I was sitting waiting for the scan I suddenly wondered if the problem could be self inflicted, I was doing close work at my computer at the time for a work project. Peering at the screen my stomach was pressed up against the desk for hours on end. Once I changed my sitting position the pain gradually eased off - didn't half feel stupid. - Needless to say the CT scan was clear.

Have you rung the surgery with regard to the white stools you are seeing? Might be worthwhile as they may be able to escalate your scan appointment.

Hugs to you @ickihun because you certainly seem to be going through it. Keep positive.

Regards C.

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I've posted the last 3 weeks (life has been a bit hectic!) but I did weigh each Friday: -
25/11 -2.5lbs
1/11 - 5.5lbs
8/11 - 1.5lbs

I'm down by 2st 6lbs in total and feeling so much better for it.

Ryhia - I hope you can find the confidence to get back in the pool. I got myself to a point where I could go swimming and not care whether people were being judgy, and that was at 23st so I was no swimsuit model! My experience has been that no one bats an eyelid and I get to just enjoy swimming with my kids. Good luck!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Liz Wish I had the courage to take up swimming again, but not sure anyone would be able to cope with the sight of me in my cossie!

Many pools do a ladies only session or two. Would you feel more comfortable at one of those?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Liz,
Yes I posted a rant after my last HbA1c results as although I had achieved "normal" blood results, my DN was only interested in my cholesterol levels and trying to get me to take statins. Those who responded to my post gave me a lot of information relating to cholesterol and statins and some good pointers to research, so I am aware that cholesterol can rise as a result of losing weight and I am hoping my numbers will reduce once my weight stabilizes. Supposed to be having a review Feb sometime, but only scheduled for that because I refused statins, otherwise would have been put on annual reviews. (They sure like to offer you support don't they) Will wait and see whether they send a reminder. Not sure I will ring to make an appointment. My GP is great and supportive but the DNs who are the ones I see for reviews leave a lot to be desired. As you rightly say, I need to arm myself with facts.

Exercise - Hmm...Well...Have been trying to increase my walking to help with BGs, I wasn't aware that walking could help with lowering cholesterol, so thank you for the info will try to up this. I used to use an air walker regularly but must admit that's tailed off a bit - need to get back to it. Wish I had the courage to take up swimming again, but not sure anyone would be able to cope with the sight of me in my cossie!
I go to Olympic one as all different sizes get in. Me included. When it's heated properly though. Found a surrounding gymnastics club for 6yr old so Sundays are going to be more fun. I wear socks to stop cramps from cold pool water.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Same weight. At dietician on 27th hoping for some help as exercise is limited.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many pools do a ladies only session or two. Would you feel more comfortable at one of those?
I don't hold much hope on the confidence side of things but I will look into options, as it's really something I would like to do.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go to Olympic one as all different sizes get in. Me included. When it's heated properly though. Found a surrounding gymnastics club for 6yr old so Sundays are going to be more fun. I wear socks to stop cramps from cold pool water.

Swimming can be great fun and puts little stress on your body so good exercise if you are less mobile.

We are also on the gymnastic run for the granddaughter - not local though.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I've posted the last 3 weeks (life has been a bit hectic!) but I did weigh each Friday: -
25/11 -2.5lbs
1/11 - 5.5lbs
8/11 - 1.5lbs

I'm down by 2st 6lbs in total and feeling so much better for it.

Ryhia - I hope you can find the confidence to get back in the pool. I got myself to a point where I could go swimming and not care whether people were being judgy, and that was at 23st so I was no swimsuit model! My experience has been that no one bats an eyelid and I get to just enjoy swimming with my kids. Good luck!
Thanks for your encouragement, I just need to give myself a real talking to as it is so true, people aren't interested in anything else other than having a good time.

Great weight loss by the way. Do you have a target weight in mind?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
82.8 - another 1kg down. Slowly chipping away heh.

Also as a note, my friend didn't like swimming for similar reasons, she ended up going with a long over t shirt on to mask her body a bit more. Made her more comfortable, and ironically because of the drag made swimming more work so better exercise heh. Eventually she ditched it but it helped her get going.

I have a similar thing, i have a routine where i go swimming wearing long shorts, jump in the pool then take them off so i have my speedo shorts on under it. I just them slip it back on again before i get out - no one pays any mind but it makes me feel more comfortable (and because i hate swimming n shorts because it restricts my leg movements)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
No Gain or Loss, just maintaining.
Well Done Everyone :).