What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what I wanted to say here and I am saying it clumsily. My head knows what I want to say, but my fingers and this blooming spell check etc software is saying hang on let's rephrase this, right in front of my eyes and I can't work out the words I said initially....
Understood and agree @gennepher. Your fingers managed to beet the spell check software. :)

Still very still here but at least it's promising to be bright, trees are all glowing in th slovenly light.

Should go a Muddy Bike Ride but I'm sure I would regret doing so later with tonight's gig looming.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...wow very busy here I've gone back three pages & believe I have caught up...apologies for any I have missed...a little snotty this morning ( I once misspelt that and it came up as a little snooty) that of course means a large pot of home made chicken noodle soup is necessary...I'll use my soya spaghetti broken up for my noodles works a treat most of the time...almost caught up on my paperwork hope to complete then invoices & a drive down to the office in London tomorrow...woke to a 5.9 more coffee & heating on to follow...no rain (yet) but lets spare a thought for the folks up north who are still suffering a great deal.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree entirely with your point jjraak we should be given the time with our GP's at dx...I had the same experience given the diagnosis by phone told to come & collect a prescription...the feckless DESMOND course...ironically looking back it was in my favour I was given so little time that forced me to do my own research...join the forums which of course led me to LCHF...taught me there was a way to manage my diabetes...goodness knows what would have happened if I had been given the standard eat carbs advice...take the meds...it will 'get' you eventually scenario...a large part of the problem is how little some HCP's know about T2 how they implement the standard NHS & DUK advice...even when they know better they still recommend the dietary plan we know doesn't work for us.

Agree.

Came across an interesting post, with video of tom Watson, pertinent point was as a minister having to reject government advise, because it was so clearly wrong and detrimental to a type 2

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/phc-conference-aseem-malhotra.169772/

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9, my lowest for a few days and guess what I had for tea... a buttered crumpet :)
Bin day and leaf day as the trees have decided to get undressed in a hurry and they are too lazy to pick their own clothes up. Enjoy the day ;)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sat at my desk, hands washed thinking of a piece of fruit (orange, large) thought check levels take some insulin have said piece of fruit. Not "oh look! an unexplained high lets just put lots of insulin in" bangs head on the desk, you would have thought after half my life being diabetic, I wouldn't be surprised when these things are thrown out at me, but I am.
No, it’s not good to see such a reading. I have, in the past, grabbed another machine (for I have two), New towel, scrubbed hands - all that sort of palaver. They do sometimes throw a curve ball.
My libra gives out terribly high or sometimes just a big red LOW if I have been sleeping on it - same when I have just had a sauna.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank for enlightenment. I thought it was probably to do with your current issue but couldn’t figure it out. Hopefully you’ll not be on them for much longer though, and you can get back to normal. When is the follow up?
No idea when follow up is. Not looking forward to the actual procedure but obviously wanting to hear the all clear message. Other side effects are more problematic - basically random episodes of dizziness if standing, bending or stretching too quickly. I get the idea that I will have a real fight with Drs to come off these.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9, my lowest for a few days and guess what I had for tea... a buttered crumpet :)
Bin day and leaf day as the trees have decided to get undressed in a hurry and they are too lazy to pick their own clothes up. Enjoy the day ;)
:wideyed::woot:

You JUST can't throw that out there without adding in all the glorious descriptions of how the " lashings of butter melted slowly into the fabric of the soft yet crunchy, delicious tasting. Crumpet........"

Have a heart, OBB... Some of us have to live vicariously through others...:arghh:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 this morning - in theory it should have been lower as I only ate 13g of carbs instead of my usual 20g.

Broadband has got even slower - even slower than dial up used to be. Hopefully all will be sorted when I go over to fibre next week.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea when follow up is. Not looking forward to the actual procedure but obviously wanting to hear the all clear message. Other side effects are more problematic - basically random episodes of dizziness if standing, bending or stretching too quickly. I get the idea that I will have a real fight with Drs to come off these.
The dizziness sounds horrible. I am sure that you will win any fight with the doctors when you need to come off the meds.

Reactions: jjraak

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, but not politicians promising the earth etc, etc.
Just incase you all forgot today is national Bin day, remember to treat your bin with kindness and it will always swallow the political trash that is posted through our doors.

Well an odd ball 7.5 for me this morning from my new meter, it's still on probation.

Yesterday me and me's along with Mrs J went to the RHS Gardens at Wisley to look at odd ball statues and the colours of the leaves. Mrs J is a card carrying member, early afternoon it appeared that the rain was also a card carrying member.
Yep it was a good day.
Have a great national bin day folks.
Remember a smile costs nothing and will help somebody through a difficult day, what a load of old rubbish, snarl, grrrr, that's betterer.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The dizziness sounds horrible. I am sure that you will win any fight with the doctors when you need to come off the meds.
Thanks and good luck with the fibre next week. My next test for these meds is weights but on the machine first. Being made the way I am I really want to try some weighted squats but need a spotter just incase.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For Me.. High end 5-low end 6.. Is where I feel most comfortable.. The 4's left me feeling 'odd
Otherway around for me, I know when I'm feeling odd, eyes won't focus, lightheaded my BG will be in mid 6's. We are all different.

Edit...Maybe N=1 should be a forum moto, not secret society like, hate them, but Boy Scout like. OK yes I was a Boy Scout many years ago, still have my Queen Scout Cert on display in my office, yes sad I know!

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:wideyed::woot:

You JUST can't throw that out there without adding in all the glorious descriptions of how the " lashings of butter melted slowly into the fabric of the soft yet crunchy, delicious tasting. Crumpet........"

Have a heart, OBB... Some of us have to live vicariously through others...:arghh:

That does sort of sum it up... did I mention the extra mature cheese melted on top? :angelic:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
because it was so clearly wrong and detrimental to a type 2
Tom Watson was fortunate to have access to the best advice you could possibly have I understand he put the work in & amended his diet however what concerns me are the individual non- celebrity patients...those who are simply told 'you're diabetic' then given a prescription & little else...initially it's all 'business' there's the 1st HbA1c review then a cursory foot check with a practice nurse after that I couldn't help feeling I was just another T2 given the casual way my dx was delivered I had no idea this condition can literally rot your organs one by one...lead to CVD kidney damage or the increased risk of a stroke...when that realisation occurred I was left feeling let down & incredulous at the way I (and others) were treated...I am tired of making excuses for HCP's who are failing their diabetic patients the blasé way they will say we don't know much is not acceptable...when they review patients with good management they should follow up how they managed...talk to other patients about a change of diet...it's not enough to say these are the official guidelines our hands are tied...there is a growing movement to challenge the dismissive way many T2's are treated .the bad advice meted out time after time...we all need to get behind that & be more proactive...I'd suggest we get behind @Debandez and others fighting for change David Unwin etc I am tweeting now it reaches a wider audience & is so much more effective...so many different departments to 'cater' for us it doesn't work it's like a jigsaw puzzle with pieces missing if we don't have all the pieces how can we solve the puzzle?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning, everyone. :)

7.7 this morning. No, I said, I'm not gonna take that.

New lancet, new strip, different hand, which offered a 7.2. OK, I said. (Sometimes it is best to let your right hand know what your left hand is doing -- in this case, giving me a lower number.)

In other news, the moon is full this morning, and the temperature is 22 degrees, which translates into -6, which looks MUCH colder, and I am enjoying my new robe that I bought because it looks a lot like the first winter robe I remember my mother wearing and it took me by surprise. Nice surprise.

The KittenCat says Purrrrrrr ........... ^. .^

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd suggest we get behind @Debandez and others fighting for change David Unwin etc
Go get em @HarryBeau, I don't feel knowledgeable enough to answer loads of questions, although the showman in me would love to do what @Debandez is doing, admiration! I try and spread the word by letting friends, colleagues and family know the success that can be achieved, the damage that they can expect if they choose to ignore it. I am also a pain in the butt to Doctors, Nurses and Practice Managers, questioning everything they tell me, probably arrogantly advising them they have it wrong no matter what their guide lines are telling them, slowly getting more ammunition under my belt to back up my stubbornness. Which is why I really hope Thursdays HbA1c test is down from the last one providing that little more proof that LCHF diet and lifestyle does really work.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak, @DJC3 , @Muddy Cyclist , thank you all for telling me about foot checks. :) I will ask my doctor to do mine with a pencil instead of needles, come January. :D

@ianpspurs
t31047.gif
t31047.gif
(Ecclesiastes 4:12)