What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad it went well re flu jab and asthma check up. I’ve had the same issue with diabetic reviews. To me it means HbA1c and discussing progress but I think to most GP receptionists it is the general foot check, height and weight etc with HCA. It’s taken me 3 tries at my new surgery to get a review. I have another appt at the end of the month but I’m still not sure it’s for HbA1c

yes it is slightly baffling the way it's set up.

i get HBA1 c, then the results electronically..then several months down the road i get the review
(dx aug 2018, this is my first review).
wouldn't that review be more useful, just after the HBA1c results come back?

that to me is the diabetic review, Dr; "lets talk about how well it's all going" , "let me explain/examine the scores with you, Mr Raak"

With the other just being a diabetic health check, weight, feet, etc (pre or post HBA1c)

Thanks to you all and the forum in general
My scores were good in July,

I've been left with ample time to dissect the numbers, review the data and assess my performance since DX and be generally very happy with the situation.

i'm very happy how it's all going, ...not sure what the review is actually going to give me this late on ?

God forbid the scores had been bad and the thinking is it GOOD to wait a few months before letting me know, and beginning to get me back on track ...so to speak..:rolleyes:

Much needs to change for us to get the better service we require and deserve.

Have to say my DR's /HCP's i spoke to today were fabulous, helpful and supportive..5 stars

good luck getting clarity for yours. @DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me to, steering well clear.

My HbA1c is Thursday, so I have promised myself I will start experimenting more with the food I have cut out if it's lower than the 44 score last time if not then I am afraid I will be like a ship at sea without a rudder.
I'm in a sweat now after seeing tonight's graph! Meeting at local carvery pub. Seemed a good idea to buy 2 x £4.99 takeaways for me and son for dinner, hubby out with friends. Made (some) good choices, but not much choice for veg available, so, roast beef, carrots, sprouts (this is where it goes the shape of a pear) mushy peas (spoonful) and a parsnip (large!). Yes you read it right. A smidgen of gravy (not a good idea either). And now look!!! I think I've been lulled into a false sense of security of late with such great readings from libre. Almost felt I had become non diabetic! Back to reality!

Good luck with your hba1c. Let us know how you get on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191112-202234_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20191112-202234_LibreLink.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 195

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me to, steering well clear.

My HbA1c is Thursday, so I have promised myself I will start experimenting more with the food I have cut out if it's lower than the 44 score last time if not then I am afraid I will be like a ship at sea without a rudder.

Best wishes for Thursday.

we all know you got this, but we do still worry, don't we..:rolleyes:

The only consolation i tell myself, while i have that agonising wait for mine,
is " I AM making a difference to my health."
simply be considering what I eat , ...MY health is improving over the previous diet.

the scores are an incidental whether it goes down by 1 or 10.
much as i'd LOVE a really low score
it will be LESS then if i had stayed the course of high Carbs.

But we do still pray to LoKarbi the T2D God, all the same.

Good luck

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes it is slightly baffling the way it's set up.

i get HBA1 c, then the results electronically..then several months down the road i get the review
(dx aug 2018, this is my first review).
wouldn't that review be more useful, just after the HBA1c results come back?

that to me is the diabetic review, Dr; "lets talk about how well it's all going" , "let me explain/examine the scores with you, Mr Raak"

With the other just being a diabetic health check, weight, feet, etc (pre or post HBA1c)

Thanks to you all and the forum in general
My scores were good in July,

I've been left with ample time to dissect the numbers, review the data and assess my performance since DX and be generally very happy with the situation.

i'm very happy how it's all going, ...not sure what the review is actually going to give me this late on ?

God forbid the scores had been bad and the thinking is it GOOD to wait a few months before letting me know, and beginning to get me back on track ...so to speak..:rolleyes:

Much needs to change for us to get the better service we require and deserve.

Have to say my DR's /HCP's i spoke to today were fabulous, helpful and supportive..5 stars

good luck getting clarity for yours. @DJC3

Fingers crossed for you too JJ

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They did that in June so not this time. Last foot check showed a little numbness but overall the nurse was pleased saying I had a pulse stronger than many 20 year olds, now that's wrong I'm 70!
I had to go and ask for this HbA1c which was due 24th October but I was not emailed, text or phone called as I was assured I would be. This is the health centre who's manager sent me a rather unfriendly email saying ' we are very disappointed you are unhappy with our diabetic care, we take our diabetic patient care very seriously and we are very proud of it' . This is after I had complained about their diabetic doctor telling me at diagnosis it was only a 10 minute appointment to tell me I was diabetic and prescribe my medication and he would not be able to answer my many questions, then I could not get an appointment with the diabetic nurse for 6 weeks. I refused the medication and his response was well you could be on insulin within 3 months if you don't take it.
@jjraak Thanks for the best wishes, we certainly do worry come the HbA1c part of the course I reckon.

@Debandez I will certainly let the results be known up or down. All the best with yours on Friday, I'm sure the blip from your takeaway meal will be wiped out by all the past good numbers.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They did that in June so not this time. Last foot check showed a little numbness but overall the nurse was pleased saying I had a pulse stronger than many 20 year olds, now that's wrong I'm 70!
I had to go and ask for this HbA1c which was due 24th October but I was not emailed, text or phone called as I was assured I would be. This is the health centre who's manager sent me a rather unfriendly email saying ' we are very disappointed you are unhappy with our diabetic care, we take our diabetic patient care very seriously and we are very proud of it' . This is after I had complained about their diabetic doctor telling me at diagnosis it was only a 10 minute appointment to tell me I was diabetic and prescribe my medication and he would not be able to answer my many questions, then I could not get an appointment with the diabetic nurse for 6 weeks. I refused the medication and his response was well you could be on insulin within 3 months if you don't take it.
@jjraak Thanks for the best wishes, we certainly do worry come the HbA1c part of the course I reckon.

@Debandez I will certainly let the results be known up or down. All the best with yours on Friday, I'm sure the blip from your takeaway meal will be wiped out by all the past good numbers.

Only just really got back to normal. I didnt have any mask or new potatoes, no Yorkshire, no stuffing, no red cabbage in sauce and they forgot to add pigs in blankets (wont be going back for them)so I thought I had been quite good!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191112-231956_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20191112-231956_LibreLink.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 200

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, a stonking 6.8 on the dice, wasn't expecting that. Good old T2 just when you try that bit harder to get your numbers down it bites you on the bum, maybe I overcheesed my omelette last night anyways 'tis was it is. Have a lovely day all

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning an acceptable 5.3 today.

A gig tonight so I had better polish up on all the tunes I am still getting wrong in parts, mind you I doubt the audience will notice, just needs to be right!

Have a day full of nice excitement each and every one.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is a foot check?
They lay you down, and run a pencil across the bottom of your feet to check sensitivity.
For me the heels have less feeling, but all else was ticklish so good feeling over all.

It's just an early warning system to be aware that neuropathy has had some impact

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6 at an ungodly hour this morning - I woke up worrying that the bathroom bin hadn’t been emptied into the dustbin last night and as it’s bin day today I had to get up and do it! No chance of getting back to sleep so here I am.
Hugs @trick60 it’s happened to me more times than I can remember - no rhyme or reason to it sometimes.
@SaskiaKC we get an annual foot check as well as retinopathy checks when we’re diagnosed. The foot check is an examination for signs of neuropathy - in essence just gentle poking of the feet and toes to see what you can or can’t feel.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning/evening folks, a stonking 6.8 on the dice, wasn't expecting that. Good old T2 just when you try that bit harder to get your numbers down it bites you on the bum, maybe I overcheesed my omelette last night anyways 'tis was it is. Have a lovely day all
Ouch! The little Devil how dare it.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9

I am happy I can stay constantly in the 6's

I admit I would like to reach some 5's for fbg but they happen later in the day mid morning, probably after I have eaten protein. And I can get an odd 5 in the early hours, say around 1am.

Windy and wet here. Normal UK weather now.

Take care all of you.
Hugs for those who need them.

t4614.gif

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They lay you down, and run a pencil across the bottom of your feet to check sensitivity.
For me the heels have less feeling, but all else was ticklish so good feeling over all.
A Penci! They stuck blooming huge sharp and then blunt needles in mine. Where's your health clinic I'll go there next time?

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.9

I am happy I can stay constantly in the 6's

I admit I would like to reach some 5's for fbg but they happen later in the day mid morning, probably after I have eaten protein. And I can get an odd 5 in the early hours, say around 1am.

Windy and wet here. Normal UK weather now.

Take care all of you.
Hugs for those who need them.

View attachment 36705
You do well @gennepher, I think we all strive for those lower numbers and expect better. I can get quite elated when I get scores below 5 which are few and far between. Very still, quiet and dry outside like the world is anticipating something, a strange atmosphere.

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. This is the health centre who's manager sent me a rather unfriendly email saying ' we are very disappointed you are unhappy with our diabetic care, we take our diabetic patient care very seriously and we are very proud of it' . This is after I had complained about their diabetic doctor telling me at diagnosis it was only a 10 minute appointment to tell me I was diabetic and prescribe my medication and he would not be able to answer my many questions, then I could not get an appointment with the diabetic nurse for 6 weeks.

While i GET that doctors may not get they time they or we would like to explain more, that does seem to typify the yawning gap that hits us all at first diagnosis.

I've replied to a few surveys re forums, and been to one interview where the topic was how better to help us get the best treatment/guidance at DX (T2D) but possibly a lot broader at its heart... that for me offer the best utilisation of resources.

That first few moments and days, must leave many bereft of pertinent information, as in your case, and also was my experience.

That would seem to be the perfect moment to have some sort of diabetic mentor, aligned with the surgery to take over that hands holding, information imparting job ..that sadly time does not allow OUR NHS to give us.

On my wish list IF I could not get us the time we need with a doctor/HCP to fully explain all the ins & outs and implications of T2D, and point us to possible changes to improve our management of it, THEN I'd love to see that mentor system be used.

Alongside recognition of certain forums, Aka DCUK. (not the other) as that first port of call for a deeper understanding of the Chronic disease we've just stepped into health wise.

For me THAT attacks the major cause for concern with that initial interaction on first diagnosis

That of....TOO little information, A ONE SIZE FITS ALL approach that PATENTLY had not worked over DECADES, and being left to our own devices too often AND for too long to be ANY good for our mental state, at what must be a pretty traumatic time for far too many.

The lack of decent, presentable AND relevant information WHEN we MOST need it, for the best way FOR SOME to tackle this insidious disease IS almost bordering on Neglect.

The insipid or the diewell plate, as some have named it, of "Move more, eat less" is just WOEFULLY inadequate in this day and age.

Best of luck finding some even ground with the surgery.. There ARE good people out there, I think sadly OUR job IS to educate THEM in better ways to manage this, to the benefit of us all...:)

Long post, sorry.

Kindest regards

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@trick60 I really do feel your pain. 5.8 for me today and weight at 11S 13lbs (bmi 22.6). The weight really, really pees me off -just can't fight the BPH meds, which potentially I don't need, however little I eat. Feeling far more dejected than at any stage of the bladder cancer saga. Sitting here changed and ready to go on exercise bike totally demotivated. Won't be a good day and not likely to be especially relaxed on holiday next week. @DJC3 great start to the day BSL wise. You guys have a good day and no hugs please but the punchbag may see some use later.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in a sweat now after seeing tonight's graph! Meeting at local carvery pub. Seemed a good idea to buy 2 x £4.99 takeaways for me and son for dinner, hubby out with friends. Made (some) good choices, but not much choice for veg available, so, roast beef, carrots, sprouts (this is where it goes the shape of a pear) mushy peas (spoonful) and a parsnip (large!). Yes you read it right. A smidgen of gravy (not a good idea either). And now look!!! I think I've been lulled into a false sense of security of late with such great readings from libre. Almost felt I had become non diabetic! Back to reality!

Good luck with your hba1c. Let us know how you get on.
One of the great secrets of a low carb diet - don’t eat out too often.

Reactions: UserABC2021