Dangerous sweeteners!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
They are not bulking stevia with dextrose.
The product is dextrose with 2% stevia added.
They are literally selling sugar.

How bad can dextrose be for a diabetic?

A medical provider should not give dextrose to people with certain kinds of medical conditions. This is because the dextrose could potentially cause too-high blood sugar or fluid shifts in the body that lead to swelling or fluid buildup in the lungs.

https://www.healthline.com/health/dextrose#precautions

Dextrose is a type of simple sugar made from corn.
It is similar to fructose and chemically identical to glucose, which is blood sugar.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322243.php#overview

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

How bad can dextrose be for a diabetic?

A medical provider should not give dextrose to people with certain kinds of medical conditions. This is because the dextrose could potentially cause too-high blood sugar or fluid shifts in the body that lead to swelling or fluid buildup in the lungs.

https://www.healthline.com/health/dextrose#precautions

Dextrose is a type of simple sugar made from corn.
It is similar to fructose and chemically identical to glucose, which is blood sugar.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322243.php#overview

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
They know diabetics buy products like stevia to avoid sugar which can be lethal but in the small print they are selling sugar.
This is deception as far as I'm concerned.
It's also very dangerous.
There should at least be a health warning as no diabetic would dream of buying and using dextrose as a sweetener!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always had a problem with sweeteners - even tiny amounts and long years before I was diagnosed as T2. Even a small amount on the end of my finger can make me ill for days, as was confirmed when my daughter-in-law bought a packet of "Stevia" on the mainland and brought it home for me. We both had a finger tip dip and we were both ill.

Even ordinary sugar (sucrose) doesn't make me ill in a noticeable way. Not that I take it very often, except in medicines (can't take the normal "sugar free" ones, so have to make do with those containing sucrose or lactose).

I'm afraid I'm not smart enough to understand the chemistry, which is why I find this whole issue so difficult but I do understand the results of anything ingested containing "sweetener". So I take care not to buy any such product, which is becoming more difficult all the time, especially now that my eyesight is also shot!

Edited to correct a typo.

Reactions: KK123

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't people use dextrose tablets for hypos
Indeed they do. When I wanted a diabetic-friendly sweetener I looked at the labels of all the ones available over the counter. They were all heavily adulterated with forms of sugar - dextrose, maltose etc. I have resorted to Erythritol bought online from Pink Sun, and good old saccharine tablets bought (almost given away) in Home Bargains.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Precisely. Sugar is very cheap, but so-say Stevia is expensive. The motivation is obvious.

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is really shocking. Though, any use of solicitors would likely be extremely expensive.

Agree with an earlier posting, try and avoid sweeteners of any type. The non-dextrose containing ones may well have side-effects that won't be known for years.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
This is really shocking. Though, any use of solicitors would likely be extremely expensive.

Agree with an earlier posting, try and avoid sweeteners of any type. The non-dextrose containing ones may well have side-effects that won't be known for years.
I might be able to get a no win no fee apparently.
Will be talking to a guy from CAB tomorrow about it.

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great reason to avoid sweeteners altogether?
If I want something sweet I use Monk fruit sugar The pure type not cut with erythritol. It has a great extra as it is a powerful antioxidant. If only it was not so darn expensive!

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
"Although Stevia is considered safe for people with Diabetes, brands that contain Dextrose or Maltodextrin should be treated with caution. Dextrose is Glucose, and Maltodextrin is a starch. These ingredients add small amounts of Carbs and Calories. Sugar alcohols may also slightly tip the Carb count." www.healthline.com

When shopping always carry a small magnifier. There are even credit card size ones. Don't trust what you first see on any product main label. "No sugar added" is another one - no sugar added but the Nutrition labeling will reveal how much is really there. Pay attention to the CARBS in the nutrition list. First thing I look for is total Carbs as sugar is a Carb. Quite often "No sugar added" has a higher Carb count - not always, so beware.

I just checked an old box of "Sugar Twin" that has a big label on the front saying "Sucralose", but ingredient list shows Dextrose as #1 ingredient and nutrition list shows "0" Carbs and "0" Sugar - can't have it both ways. Very misleading. Dextrose is the name of a simple sugar that is made from corn and is chemically identical to glucose, or blood sugar.

If it states "Sugar Free", again, check for the Carbs.

The Stevia I rarely use has a total of one (1) Carb per packet and zero sugar (no dextrose, fructose, etc.), but does have a bit of Erythritol.

SWERVE is another sugar replacement. 1 teaspoon is 4 Carbs. Says "a unique blend of non-GMO ingredients that are derived from fruits and vegetables" and has Erythritol.

The only time you could probably get action on misleading labels is if it states "For Diabetics" or "good for Diabetics" then it is making a medical claim. Otherwise it is up to you to be cautious and double check anything you buy.

Can we trust all manufacturers to be totally truthful in labeling and ingredients list? No - simple answer. It is your health, your life, so do a lot of due diligence when shopping for food or ingredients. If in doubt - don't get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybersight

Doglover121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have used Aldi's Stevia for years now. I've just checked the label and there is no mention of Dextrose. The first ingredient listed is lactose.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I have used Aldi's Stevia for years now. I've just checked the label and there is no mention of Dextrose. The first ingredient listed is lactose.
Then that's a different one.
I'm talking little pills in a pop box.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I might be able to get a no win no fee apparently.
Will be talking to a guy from CAB tomorrow about it.
Let us know what he has to say.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When shopping always carry a small magnifier
Indeed! Or often I find it more convenient to check my proposed purchases beforehand on the supermarkets' websites. Full nutritional info. is almost always available. Worth checking often, as the quoted values are sometimes changed.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The suffix "ose" always indicates some kind of sugar. Lactose is milk sugar, so a little slower acting than dextrose, but still sugar.

Although I perhaps should point out that fermentable sugars such as Lactulose are not absorbed but stay in the gut where they interact with the gut flora to draw extra water in and act as a "gentle" laxative.

So "ose" indicates a sugar, but not always a dangerous one.

Reactions: Divia and JTL

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.