What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Trayo

I'm new to all this. After finding exceptionally high glucose levels in a urine test, I was asked to monitor my bloods for a month before returning to the GP.

This morning's fasting level was 18.7 - which is average for me but scary compared to yours!

In 3 weeks I've not been below 12.1 at any time, and have reached 25.6. I don't eat sugary things anyway, and have changed my diet completely wrt carbs, types of fat etc, but it doesn't make a difference.

I sleep at every opportunity as I'm overwhelmingly exhausted, and have frequent headaches. I drink a lot, I pee a lot.

I have a neuro disorder, which started 16 years ago, and I had been blaming that.

The GP seems to think my medication may have damaged my pancreas.

Seeing your levels has left me a wee bit scared now!

Reactions: Aginoth

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new to all this. After finding exceptionally high glucose levels in a urine test, I was asked to monitor my bloods for a month before returning to the GP.

This morning's fasting level was 18.7 - which is average for me but scary compared to yours!

In 3 weeks I've not been below 12.1 at any time, and have reached 25.6. I don't eat sugary things anyway, and have changed my diet completely wrt carbs, types of fat etc, but it doesn't make a difference.

I sleep at every opportunity as I'm overwhelmingly exhausted, and have frequent headaches. I drink a lot, I pee a lot.

I have a neuro disorder, which started 16 years ago, and I had been blaming that.

I'm not a healthcare professional, so anything I say is just my thoughts.

Yes, your numbers are high but take a moment and just breath.

I was that high when diagnosed and managed to get it under control through my diet. It is frightening, was for me, but you are in the right place for good information. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, just relax and find what suits you.

I started off with the low carb high fat (LCHF) regime and it got my numbers down within a month. The mods have links to the really useful stuff and one of them will pass by no doubt.

Like you, I immediately cut out sugars, then learnt that things like bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes were just as bad.

You can do this, just breath.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm

I am surprised that your doctor asked you to monitor your own blood readings and I assume provided you with a bg monitor before doing a Hbac1 test. I certainly wouldn't wait a month to go back. The levels that you are quoting need addressing .

Reactions: Aginoth

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.3 this morning.
Had a weird spike last night to 14.6, no idea why Ketones were good and hadn't eaten anything to cause it. Probably a read error on my Libre as I slept on my side and squashed it. All good this morning though.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hello and welcome, @Trayo .
Have you read the info for new members yet? There are some details in my signature below this post. Hope you will read, and ask questions around the forums. It can be scary, but don’t be intimidated by the low numbers you see in this thread. We all started somewhere, generally with higher numbers than we are seeing now we have ( most of us, most of the time), but help each other with advice and info. So let us know how you are getting on.