What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a stressful day yesterday...set off for London not a bad drive there in good time.. unbelievably it then took me an hour & a quarter to find a parking space...job done I set off home it took three hours the traffic was backed up so many diversions in place...finally I had to find another route home which involved the back roads twisting winding & slippery by the time I got home I was in a foul temper couldn't be bothered & ate badly...finally settled down & watched the news which brought me back to my senses of what's important...London Bridge...felt quite ashamed & thought of those who didn't tragically get home yesterday & those who tackled the attacker...I was nowhere near the incident however it had a knock on effect all over London... that was/is my area I was there all the time when I lived in London just minutes from my old home...haven't tested yet doesn't seem important today!

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone.

FBG 6.3 mmo/lt at 0420.

Crimbo planning awaits. Was planning to visit a camera shop called Jessops, but not sure if it still exists, such is the demise of the high street. Have a good weekend.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and another winter greeting outside. A 5.2 for me today, happy with that.

A day of getting ready for our jam session so no Frosty Bike Rides for me today.

@trick60 watch out they don't get you doing deliveries on your way back home, crafty things those smiling boxes.

Keep warm and happy if you are able, hugs if the stuff of life gets in your way or you are under the weather.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who wondering why the radio stations are playing Christmas carols in November.

Yep that meter is playing games an 8.0 this morning, of course it has nothing to do with what I indulged in eating last night!

Day number two of having the grandchildren and more fun and games are planned. Mrs J is not amused and at one point yesterday afternoon sent me to bed for allegedly being naughty, I of course dispute the naughty bit, never mind.
Today is another day and a new blank canvas hehehehe
Have a good day folks

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 on the Libre or 5.5 by finger prick. Happy with both/ either.
I’m enjoying the Christmas present chat. The best compromise I’ve come across was the system used by a Hindu friend and her family. She has always lived in England so has grown up knowing about Christmas although her family don’t celebrate it as such. Instead they buy gifts for the children but not the adults. They all decide in advance which charity they are going to support that year and all put £50 in a pot which is given to the charity of choice. Everybody wins! I’ve been trying to get my lot to do something similar but old habits and the pressure of the advertisers are hard to break free from.
@trick60 wise man!

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The last few days have been running quite low blood sugars and am spending quite a lot of the day in the very low 4s.

Tonight have just got home from work and because I felt I was low I tested and it was 3.5. Did a retest and it was 3.7.

When I was on insulin I would have had some glucose but as I am no longer on insulin or any other meds I am assuming that I don't need to do anything.
Hello @Krystyna23040 Suggest check the calibration of your meter. Should be a special dummy test strip that came with your meter. Next step is to retest. If still in these low BG phases I would seek some professional advice. A low GI snack wouldn't hurt. Lots of Love.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2.3 for me jelly babies and a digestive and up to 5.6 so alls good apart from the headache i shall be a pumper by 11th dec so excited for that although feeling a little nervous anyway have a great weekend everyone .happy present buying...or not

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best compromise I’ve come across was the system used by a Hindu friend and her family. She has always lived in England so has grown up knowing about Christmas although her family don’t celebrate it as such. Instead they buy gifts for the children but not the adults. They all decide in advance which charity they are going to support that year and all put £50 in a pot which is given to the charity of choice. Everybody wins! I’ve been trying to get my lot to do something similar but old habits and the pressure of the advertisers are hard to break free from.
Great idea, we are involved in many musical and theatrical groups and some time ago they all agreed to stop sending Christmas cards to each other so for some years each group collects money off its members and it goes to charity, we do this with friends also. Of course being a liker of Christmas person, I do like giving Christmas cards so I paint loads and give them to closer friends and family.
5.8 this morning, I was 4.8 on retiring for the night so musn't grumble. Heavy frost this morning and I'm on leaf duty, best put my thermals on :)
Thermals, the bane of hot air balloonists. You will certainly blow those leaves away. :joyful:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Message to Mrs Miggins c/o @dunelm
I have had an Acer Chromebook now for several years and I love it. They are said to be nearly as virus-immune as MacBooks, and cost about 1/10 of an Apple product. Mine synced itself with my Nook tablet and Android smartphone. I had to sync it and my printer but now they work away happily together, making me happy too. Depending on what Mrs Miggins wants to do with hers ... I have never formatted any formal-for-publication papers on it, but otherwise its WP program handles whatever I throw at it. I will never go back to Windows. :)
Thank you @SaskiaKC. She also chose an Acer model and the set up was a dream. Just put her account details in at off it went.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The last few days have been running quite low blood sugars and am spending quite a lot of the day in the very low 4s.

Tonight have just got home from work and because I felt I was low I tested and it was 3.5. Did a retest and it was 3.7.

When I was on insulin I would have had some glucose but as I am no longer on insulin or any other meds I am assuming that I don't need to do anything.
Mine sometimes dips into the 3’s but I am not on any medication so I don’t do anything about it apart from the bonus of being able to eat a bit more should I wish.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a stressful day yesterday...set off for London not a bad drive there in good time.. unbelievably it then took me an hour & a quarter to find a parking space...job done I set off home it took three hours the traffic was backed up so many diversions in place...finally I had to find another route home which involved the back roads twisting winding & slippery by the time I got home I was in a foul temper couldn't be bothered & ate badly...finally settled down & watched the news which brought me back to my senses of what's important...London Bridge...felt quite ashamed & thought of those who didn't tragically get home yesterday & those who tackled the attacker...I was nowhere near the incident however it had a knock on effect all over London... that was/is my area I was there all the time when I lived in London just minutes from my old home...haven't tested yet doesn't seem important today!

London Bridge was bad.

My son lives between London Bridge and Tower Bridge, so I am texting to see if he is okay. He took a long time to get back to me. I hate that.
But he is catching the train this morning to come up here and we will go for lunch before he goes back.

Hugs for you @HarryBeau and for your stressful day.

Not taking my blood sugar reading this morning because I ate too much waiting for my son's reply text. Will start again tomorrow.

So take care everyone.
Be alert.
Hugs for those who need them.
>^••^<

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How different we all are when it comes to how we deal with Christmas and the traditions we have which often then carry on from generation to generation, the fascination of humans.

My Christmas present buying is based on my deat old dads example and I believe my grandads also. My dad always said ....

"presents should be something the recipient would never expect or know they want but on receiving it they should feel joy, be extremely pleased to have been given it and discover they really wanted it but never knew they did"

Yes, that's a stressful present buying experience but it works in our family and in the 55 years I have known Mrs MC that's the rule I have applied. My daughter carries on the tradition, my son, well he's not so good at it. Did I ever get it totally wrong? Well that would be telling.:joyful:
Yep, pretty much the same with us now. When my parents lived in the UK, my siblings and I would gather together for Christmas, mum would write to us and include the line, “presents to be no more in value than ......”.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, pretty much the same with us now. When my parents lived in the UK, my siblings and I would gather together for Christmas, mum would write to us and include the line, “presents to be no more in value than ......”.
A mom with sense as most from that generation seemed to have. But it's true we don't have to spend a fortune to make a present great, sadly modern retailing and advertising tries to make many think expensive is best. Having said that we shouldn't blame them selling is their business and it keeps many people employed.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from the dark and dangerous north. Today’s word is frost and todays colour is sparkling.

The wonder wheel of a roast chicken in 30 minutes curtesy of my new toy came in at 5.5 this am.

I have the great pleasure today of being able to fiddle about with a Phillips screwdriver and a replacement battery for Mr Dyson’s magical noise stick and child chaser. The thing is only four years old but Mrs Miggins is a high mileage user. My own contribution is to make the mess in the first instance to justify the expense of the original purchase. Whatever happened to that nice, silent running, Meile?

Have a great day if you can, watch out for rabbits tomorrow.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hugs for you @HarryBeau and for your stressful day

My day was nothing in comparison to yesterdays sad events...yes I understand the anxiety waiting for your son to reply...I have checked that family & friends still in London are all fine relieved to report they are all okay...I hadn't tested either gennepher I'll wait until tomorrow

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 this morning. Perhaps fbs in the 4s is the new normal. I didn't eat anything after the 3.5 and 3.7 readings last night because I wanted to see if my liver would be able to raise blood sugars without any help - which it did overnight.

I have been doing lower carb since May 2016 and keto for the la
Hello @Krystyna23040 Suggest check the calibration of your meter. Should be a special dummy test strip that came with your meter. Next step is to retest. If still in these low BG phases I would seek some professional advice. A low GI snack wouldn't hurt. Lots of Love.
Thank you for this. This morning checked with the control solution then checked with two other meters. Control solution ok. Other two meters were reading even lower than the one I used yesterday. So very puzzling as to why all the low numbers. I will make sure i I keep some 100% chocolate in my bag in case I go into the 3s before driving today.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whatever happened to that nice, silent running, Meile?
I loved my Miele vacuum...opted for the Dyson cordless pipe it lasted less than six months here (still in the cupboard) having not learned a lesson I then got a GTECH...not a great success either...now I have the trusty Shark & can honestly say it's the best one I have ever tried (so far).

Reactions: trick60

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine sometimes dips into the 3’s but I am not on any medication so I don’t do anything about it apart from the bonus of being able to eat a bit more should I wish.
Thank you for this. I didn't realise that anyone else dropped into the 3s. Last night I didn't try to correct it but my liver did a correction on its own. 4.8 this morning. So all good.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning each. Frosty, foggy and cold and that's just me. Interesting versions of how people deal with Christmas presents. @karen8967 hope the headache goes and the pump transition is as easy as possible. @DJC3 interesting disparity between libre and finger prick - which is also (for me) quite a way from A1c. St Andrew's day brought a joyless 5.4 for me but I enjoyed the PT yesterday and the 40 mins exercise bike this morning - from where I was in August that is my present right there. Off to deliver advent calendars and other goodies later - taking 89.9 yo MIL so good family day between her and this beauty - 6 months old and ok if you like that kind of thing:angelic:
upload_2019-11-30_9-0-8.png