Are there any downsides to low carb diet?

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone.

Since my diagnosis - low carb diet has done wonders to my BG levels. I also dropped few kgs (or pounds/stones as you islanders prefer it).

I have a question to all of you that are on low carb for a very long time - did you experience any negative side effects in the long run? I try not to eat more than 30g carbs a day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Menu choices are restricted when eating out, but there are options for something LC at almost every eatery, and that is the main thing. :D

D

Deleted member 308541

I have a question to all of you that are on low carb for a very long time - did you experience any negative side effects in the long run?
I have never had a problem with eating lchf food, I probably eat more meat to replace all the carby vegges or rice though.

Not really a downside as I like eating meat no matter what animal it comes from.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problems here after over two and a half years, only benefits, non diabetic numbers, weight loss, improved asthma, arthritis and blood pressure. Just wish I’d done it sooner, it took my diabetes diagnosis to become aware of low carbing :)

Reactions: Jaxx47 and DJC3

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Nearly six years low carb (under 30g a day) high fat. Stronger, fitter, healthier now than 20 years ago. No regrets, all positive. Yes, it is occasionally difficult when eating out, but most of the time manageable. The great thing about my diet is that is so naturally clean, no chemicals, no processed food (apart from bacon occasionally). Steak and salad, so much healthier than steak and chips!

Reactions: DJC3

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating out takes a bit of work, and it takes a bit of planning around the Christmas season. No downsides, but I have lost weight, got my A1c levels under control and don't use artificial sweeteners, vegetables gums or eat processed foods. Apart from ham and bacon, and not a lot of those.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've not had any negative affects physically, but I find it expensive and difficult to get enough healthy fats.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nearly six years low carb (under 30g a day) high fat. Stronger, fitter, healthier now than 20 years ago. No regrets, all positive. Yes, it is occasionally difficult when eating out, but most of the time manageable. The great thing about my diet is that is so naturally clean, no chemicals, no processed food (apart from bacon occasionally). Steak and salad, so much healthier than steak and chips!

Serious respect..
6 years...outstanding

WINNER imho :happy:

D

Deleted member 308541

I find it expensive and difficult to get enough healthy fats.
Full fat Greek yoghurt and cheddar cheese and butter is relatively cheap to buy, I can buy a two kilo bucket of Greek yoghurt for ~$10.00, a one kilo block of cheddar is ~ $8.00 depending on brand, the butter I get is around the $5.00 mark for a five hundred gram tub.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Six years low carbing, and no problems - benefits only.

Initially there were a few foods I resented having to avoid, but in truth I've not actually ever really missed them.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Six years low carbing, and no problems - benefits only.

Initially there were a few foods I resented having to avoid, but in truth I've not actually ever really missed them.
@Robbity respect to you also,
and to all you others for the long term haul and still benefiting...what an inspiration you all are.

Much to learn form your examples.
Bravo.

Reactions: VioletViolet

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Full fat Greek yoghurt and cheddar cheese and butter is relatively cheap to buy, I can buy a two kilo bucket of Greek yoghurt for ~$10.00, a one kilo block of cheddar is ~ $8.00 depending on brand, the butter I get is around the $5.00 mark for a five hundred gram tub.

Sure, but I like to vary my diet

Fish, meat (that hasn't had all the fat cut off), nuts, veg, eggs, all cost dollars. Much more than carb loaded food. Not that I'm going back to carb. Since on low carb I've lost just over 10kg and back to being insulin sensitive.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this isn't a competition and one-upmanship is an unpleasant character trait, but heck, I'll go for it, six and a half years!

James has stuck with it, 100% at all times and has retained non-diabetic numbers, with no ill effects. I have never had a diabetes diagnosis, so do have the occasional non-low carb item when we are out somewhere. Can't resist a cream tea when I'm in Cornwall, unfortunately the cream tends to disappear if I turn away, so it turns into a jam tea.
Sally

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, those hangovers. I've only been eating low carb for ten months but it's totally killed my love for alcohol. More than two glasses of wine and I'm incapacitated for the next day, shouting Europe at the sink. Also I get pretty drunk from those couple of drinks. Not necessarily a bad thing. Cheap date, as my boyfriend likes to put it :)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Only 18 mths in so far, but apart from still missing sweet foods (this time of year I have to prepare myself before entering any shop selling christmas cake and pudding) all is fine. Even my fatty liver has improved on cream and cheese!

Reactions: bulkbiker

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly 8 years of low carbing for me. I have around 100g a day, and am still only diet controlled.

No downside so far, except nearly always having to struggle to find something when eating out. It's mainly traditional pub grub type food round here, with a carvery on Sunday afternoons.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3 and half years on a low carb diet. A bit challenging in terms of eating out with friends and relationships with HCPs suffered but best choice I’ve made and zero regret. It’s allowing me to have a normal life. I don’t have to think about having diabetes.