1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are there any downsides to low carb diet?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Wojciechu, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Wojciechu

Wojciechu Other · Well-Known Member

Hello everyone.

Since my diagnosis - low carb diet has done wonders to my BG levels. I also dropped few kgs (or pounds/stones as you islanders prefer it).

I have a question to all of you that are on low carb for a very long time - did you experience any negative side effects in the long run? I try not to eat more than 30g carbs a day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Three years in. No ill effects whatsoever. Quite the reverse.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Menu choices are restricted when eating out, but there are options for something LC at almost every eatery, and that is the main thing. :D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I have never had a problem with eating lchf food, I probably eat more meat to replace all the carby vegges or rice though.

Not really a downside as I like eating meat no matter what animal it comes from.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

4 years in and no probs apart from significantly improved health and maintained weight loss.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

No problems here after over two and a half years, only benefits, non diabetic numbers, weight loss, improved asthma, arthritis and blood pressure. Just wish I’d done it sooner, it took my diabetes diagnosis to become aware of low carbing :)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

Nearly six years low carb (under 30g a day) high fat. Stronger, fitter, healthier now than 20 years ago. No regrets, all positive. Yes, it is occasionally difficult when eating out, but most of the time manageable. The great thing about my diet is that is so naturally clean, no chemicals, no processed food (apart from bacon occasionally). Steak and salad, so much healthier than steak and chips!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Quinn1066

Quinn1066 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eating out takes a bit of work, and it takes a bit of planning around the Christmas season. No downsides, but I have lost weight, got my A1c levels under control and don't use artificial sweeteners, vegetables gums or eat processed foods. Apart from ham and bacon, and not a lot of those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Antechinus

Antechinus Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I've not had any negative affects physically, but I find it expensive and difficult to get enough healthy fats.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Serious respect..
    6 years...outstanding

WINNER imho :happy:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Full fat Greek yoghurt and cheddar cheese and butter is relatively cheap to buy, I can buy a two kilo bucket of Greek yoghurt for ~$10.00, a one kilo block of cheddar is ~ $8.00 depending on brand, the butter I get is around the $5.00 mark for a five hundred gram tub.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Six years low carbing, and no problems - benefits only.

Initially there were a few foods I resented having to avoid, but in truth I've not actually ever really missed them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes there is one downside...to food manufacturers. If everyone did it they would be out of business.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Robbity respect to you also,
    and to all you others for the long term haul and still benefiting...what an inspiration you all are.

Much to learn form your examples.
    Bravo.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Antechinus

Antechinus Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Sure, but I like to vary my diet

Fish, meat (that hasn't had all the fat cut off), nuts, veg, eggs, all cost dollars. Much more than carb loaded food. Not that I'm going back to carb. Since on low carb I've lost just over 10kg and back to being insulin sensitive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

I know this isn't a competition and one-upmanship is an unpleasant character trait, but heck, I'll go for it, six and a half years!

James has stuck with it, 100% at all times and has retained non-diabetic numbers, with no ill effects. I have never had a diabetes diagnosis, so do have the occasional non-low carb item when we are out somewhere. Can't resist a cream tea when I'm in Cornwall, unfortunately the cream tends to disappear if I turn away, so it turns into a jam tea.
    Sally

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. hyponilla

hyponilla Type 1 · Member

Oh, those hangovers. I've only been eating low carb for ten months but it's totally killed my love for alcohol. More than two glasses of wine and I'm incapacitated for the next day, shouting Europe at the sink. Also I get pretty drunk from those couple of drinks. Not necessarily a bad thing. Cheap date, as my boyfriend likes to put it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Only 18 mths in so far, but apart from still missing sweet foods (this time of year I have to prepare myself before entering any shop selling christmas cake and pudding) all is fine. Even my fatty liver has improved on cream and cheese!

• Like Like x 1
  19. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nearly 8 years of low carbing for me. I have around 100g a day, and am still only diet controlled.

No downside so far, except nearly always having to struggle to find something when eating out. It's mainly traditional pub grub type food round here, with a carvery on Sunday afternoons.

• Like Like x 3
  20. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3 and half years on a low carb diet. A bit challenging in terms of eating out with friends and relationships with HCPs suffered but best choice I’ve made and zero regret. It’s allowing me to have a normal life. I don’t have to think about having diabetes.

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook