Metformin

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Was told by gp a year ago that my severe i r could not be treated with metformin as kidney function 47% but new dn is saying I can use it so am very confused ,anyone in similar situation ???

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was told by gp a year ago that my severe i r could not be treated with metformin as kidney function 47% but new dn is saying I can use it so am very confused ,anyone in similar situation ???

Borderter, it's not an area I have experience or much knowledge in, and I imagine you might have been quite surprised about the turnaround in approach.

In your shoes, I'd be inclined to either go back and ask about it, or if you have email contact, maybe ask that way? I'd be interested to know what has brought about the change of heart, and ifit is guidelines or scientific papers, I'd be asking for links to those, to do my own reading.

Have you been given a prescription for Metformin, or is it just a suggestion at the moment?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd not like to use it ever again, but I used to get very dehydrated when taking Metformin. I would often get to the bathroom and drink three half pint mugs of water in a few minutes. My reaction to it seems to be extreme, but not uncommon, so I can see the logic in avoiding it if there are kidney problems.
Luckily I found I did not need it, so the problem was resolved when I threw away the tablets.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Borderter, it's not an area I have experience or much knowledge in, and I imagine you might have been quite surprised about the turnaround in approach.

In your shoes, I'd be inclined to either go back and ask about it, or if you have email contact, maybe ask that way? I'd be interested to know what has brought about the change of heart, and ifit is guidelines or scientific papers, I'd be asking for links to those, to do my own reading.

Have you been given a prescription for Metformin, or is it just a suggestion at the moment?
Dn said guidelines have been relaxed on kidney function but could see i was uncertain so am seeing endo in 3 weeks so will ask him as something really needs to reduce resistance as its so much worse

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dn said guidelines have been relaxed on kidney function but could see i was uncertain so am seeing endo in 3 weeks so will ask him as something really needs to reduce resistance as its so much worse

Borderter, obviously this is part of the discussion with your HCP's but there's always the option for a trial period, with before and after kidney function tests?

Reactions: borderter

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Reports are being made that Metformin has possible links to cancer what are your thought on this, if this is true is it all types of Metformin or just a few??

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Borderter, obviously this is part of the discussion with your HCP's but there's always the option for a trial period, with before and after kidney function tests?
Thats a great idea thanks so much

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reports are being made that Metformin has possible links to cancer what are your thought on this, if this is true is it all types of Metformin or just a few??
There was an article about it on this website yesterday to say that it’s not Metformin itself but some of the tablets have been contaminated in I think it was China and Singapore, but so far no contaminated batches have been found in USA or UK. The link to the article is broken at the moment but I’ll put it here incase it starts to work again:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...r-cancer-causing-chemical-contamination/.html

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was an article about it on this website yesterday to say that it’s not Metformin itself but some of the tablets have been contaminated in I think it was China and Singapore, but so far no contaminated batches have been found in USA or UK. The link to the article is broken at the moment but I’ll put it here incase it starts to work again:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...r-cancer-causing-chemical-contamination/.html
This article makes it clear that many meds may be contaminated, not just Metformin. Also that we may hope that any contamination is too slight to be significant.
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20191205/popular-diabetes-drug-may-contain-a-carcinogen

Reactions: Rachox