Food plans

reece1723

Can anybody help me with some meal plans as I am struggling on what to eat type 1 diabetic fussy eater love meat and carbs struggle to get the balance right. Any one out their with any ideas for me?

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once you have your basal rates, insulin sensitivity and insulin/carb ratio sorted you can really eat almost anything as long as you pre bolus accordingly. For getting these as accurate as possible seek advice from your DN practitioner. I did basal tests first and adjusted accordingly, once happy, I sorted my insulin sensitivity by ensuring I had no insulin on board and if at a safe level ie about 8mmol injected a small amount of insulin ie .25 units an monitored carefully to see how much my bloods dropped. When they leveled out I multiplied the drop by 4 to obtain my ISF. I then tackled my carb ratios by eating small lowish fat meals. Eg I had the same breakfast, same lunch and same dinner at the Same Times monitored the results and made very small adjustments to my ratios if need be. It is quite a painstaking process but we'll worth it. But please... Please seek advice from your health care provider before making any changes... Good luck and all the best

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can have carbs fairly feely as long as you inject the right amount of Bolus at that meal, but note than insulin allows the body to metabolise carbs so you may gain weight if you have too many. Basically you can have as much protein and fat as you care to eat. If you take a lot of protein in a meal you may need to increase the Bolus a little.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How much insulin per carb I never seem to understand this tho diabell?
You will need to work this out through testing as everyone is different, and it can differ dependent on time of day.
For instance I went on a carb counting course last year, one person there needed 1 unit per 2 carbs, whilst another only needed 1 unit per 50 carbs showing that there can be a big difference between different people - have you been on a carb counting course, I know the one I went to helped people work out their carb ratios.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anybody help me with some meal plans as I am struggling on what to eat type 1 diabetic fussy eater love meat and carbs struggle to get the balance right. Any one out their with any ideas for me?

Hi,

Can you list us what you do enjoy eating? (It would probably take the stress out of it, if you worked it from there.)
Do you work? Are you a packed luncher? (Knowing the carb content already in a PL can take the time wasted on guesswork during a break.)

How long diagnosed?
What insulin/s have you been prescribed?