Is this normal

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Since I got myself a libre I have had better understanding how my blood sugar are during the day. Instead of testing 3x a day it gives me the choice to scan whenever I want.

So, I have been scanning.
  • Before breakfast
  • 30 minute after
  • 1 hour after
  • 2 hour after
I have had a really big spike at 1 hour 14mmol/l after 2 hours its down to 10mmol and at 3 hours its back down to around where I was before my breakfast. Is this normal? I know that the blood sugar is suppose to spike after a meal but at 1 hour it was at 14 then 2 hours at 10mmol I'm wondering what would be a safe 1 hour level, I know at 2 hours its suppose to come down. I'm still learning. I really want better 1 hour levels. My 2-3 hour number are OK. I'm worried about the 1 hour level.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi UsmanMo,

It is normal for your blood sugar levels to rise after a meal. What are your levels before eating? What did you have for breakfast?

There is a lot to take in but with regular testing you will get there- it can sometime take a few days or longer being low carb for your overall levels to come down. The fasting one (before breakfast) is often the last one to come down- google dawn phenomena . This means for me that breakfast should be the lowest carb meal of the day- I stick to coffee with cream. I find I don't handle carbs as well in the morning as later in the day- if you also start with a higher reading then the levels will be higher.

You are doing great to be testing g so regularly- this is information about your body. After a few days you will start seeing patterns which will help you make good decisions about what your body can tolerate.

You have made a great start!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

Since I got myself a libre I have had better understanding how my blood sugar are during the day. Instead of testing 3x a day it gives me the choice to scan whenever I want.

So, I have been scanning.
  • Before breakfast
  • 30 minute after
  • 1 hour after
  • 2 hour after
I have had a really big spike at 1 hour 14mmol/l after 2 hours its down to 10mmol and at 3 hours its back down to around where I was before my breakfast. Is this normal? I know that the blood sugar is suppose to spike after a meal but at 1 hour it was at 14 then 2 hours at 10mmol I'm wondering what would be a safe 1 hour level, I know at 2 hours its suppose to come down. I'm still learning. I really want better 1 hour levels. My 2-3 hour number are OK. I'm worried about the 1 hour level.

What did you eat for breakfast and when do you bolus in relation to eating?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi UsmanMo,

It is normal for your blood sugar levels to rise after a meal. What are your levels before eating? What did you have for breakfast?

There is a lot to take in but with regular testing you will get there- it can sometime take a few days or longer being low carb for your overall levels to come down. The fasting one (before breakfast) is often the last one to come down- google dawn phenomena . This means for me that breakfast should be the lowest carb meal of the day- I stick to coffee with cream. I find I don't handle carbs as well in the morning as later in the day- if you also start with a higher reading then the levels will be higher.

You are doing great to be testing g so regularly- this is information about your body. After a few days you will start seeing patterns which will help you make good decisions about what your body can tolerate.

You have made a great start!

My breakfast is usually 2 weetabix with almond milk. (I stopped having eggs in the morning now)

If I give up weetabix due to this new data showing a huge spike I'm not sure what else I can replace or with.

My morning readings are usually in the 6-8 range.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I take metformin with sitagliptin

Breakfast I usually have weetabix with almond milk.

SORRY - my bad. For some reason I thought you were a T1 when I was replying :banghead:

As for Weatabix I'd suggest avoiding cereals but you might find that porridge gives you less of a spike as it takes a bit longer to digest.

Why have you stopped eggs, are they spiking you?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SORRY - my bad. For some reason I thought you were a T1 when I was replying :banghead:

As for Weatabix I'd suggest avoiding cereals but you might find that porridge gives you less of a spike as it takes a bit longer to digest.

Why have you stopped eggs, are they spiking you?

I stopped eggs due to heart-burn. I have had porridge and I dont like it. I'm open to suggestions I have only gotten this spike with my breakfast. Dinner blood sugars are normal.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I stopped eggs due to heart-burn. I have had porridge and I dont like it. I'm open to suggestions I have only gotten this spike with my breakfast. Dinner blood sugars are normal.

Does it make a difference how you prepare the eggs - , scrambled, fried, poached, omelette etc?

I am not sure what to suggest other than bacon, continental breakfast (ham, cheese etc), fresh (lower carb) fruit and yoghurt.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does it make a difference how you prepare the eggs - , scrambled, fried, poached, omelette etc?

I am not sure what to suggest other than bacon, continental breakfast (ham, cheese etc), fresh (lower carb) fruit and yoghurt.

I would have them scrambled.
- I'll try, fruit and yogurt. Will fruit not spike the blood sugar too?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
you have a glucometer to record your blood glucose levels.
This is what I would use to determine which foods you can safely have without your blood glucose levels going that high and for so long after weetabix!
Use a food diary to see how your pre meal, one hour and two hours readings. Don't forget portion size is important in how to read your results.

Weetabix is probably one of the worst for adding sugar and sweeteners during production, it is coated with something that should probably never go anywhere your digestive system in my opinion.

You just have to find your own suitable breakfast.
In work, poached eggs with mushrooms and tomatoes.
Off work, I fast until late afternoon.
Fresh full fat yoghurt with a couple of berries is also a favourite of mine any time of day!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Berries and full fat Greek yoghurt, not other fruit. Weatabix is a no, no. Far too high carb. Scrambled eggs and bacon would be a great choice.

Are you taking into account the 15-20 time lag between the libre and "real time"?

Reactions: UsmanMo96

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember that "breakfast" does not need to be traditional. Soup, chicken salad, halloumi fries, anything you like....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sitagliptin https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/sitagliptin/ is less likely to cause hypos than other T2 medications, but you still might want to reduce your carb intake gradually to make sure your blood glucose doesn’t drop too sharply.

to reduce carbs at breakfast, you can have any of the following:
- a combination of meat, fish, non-hens’ eggs, cheese, vegetables, low carb breads - assuming you want to lower carb levels, which will in turn reduce the high spike at 1 hour.

for instance,
Ham, sliced avocado and hollandaise
Tomato, mozzarella, balsamic vinegar
Sausages (cook beforehand and reheat in micros for a quick v easy option)
Bacon, maybe pre-cooked and crispy?
Leftovers from supper
Yogurt, berries and grated choc
Low carb hot chocolate
Bulletproof coffee
Cheese and cold meats
Low carb toast with cream cheese and strawberries
Smoothie made with almond milk, nut butter and spinach

The list is kind of infinite...

Reactions: UsmanMo96

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would have them scrambled.
- I'll try, fruit and yogurt. Will fruit not spike the blood sugar too?

Berries are OK for many people (though fruit like banana tends to cause spikes).

Bear in mind that the libre is inaccurate for many people - check with a glucometer occasionally to see if it's reading right, remembering that to take the libre reading 15 minutes after the glucometer reading as it has a 10-15 minute lag.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast? Steak and mushrooms is a good option.
If all there was was weetabix, I would not eat at all.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Berries and full fat Greek yoghurt, not other fruit. Weatabix is a no, no. Far too high carb. Scrambled eggs and bacon would be a great choice.

Are you taking into account the 15-20 time lag between the libre and "real time"?

I think so!
Berries are OK for many people (though fruit like banana tends to cause spikes).

Bear in mind that the libre is inaccurate for many people - check with a glucometer occasionally to see if it's reading right, remembering that to take the libre reading 15 minutes after the glucometer reading as it has a 10-15 minute lag.

I do check with my meter too. And its usually the same number the libre is showing.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sitagliptin https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/sitagliptin/ is less likely to cause hypos than other T2 medications, but you still might want to reduce your carb intake gradually to make sure your blood glucose doesn’t drop too sharply.

to reduce carbs at breakfast, you can have any of the following:
- a combination of meat, fish, non-hens’ eggs, cheese, vegetables, low carb breads - assuming you want to lower carb levels, which will in turn reduce the high spike at 1 hour.

for instance,
Ham, sliced avocado and hollandaise
Tomato, mozzarella, balsamic vinegar
Sausages (cook beforehand and reheat in micros for a quick v easy option)
Bacon, maybe pre-cooked and crispy?
Leftovers from supper
Yogurt, berries and grated choc
Low carb hot chocolate
Bulletproof coffee
Cheese and cold meats
Low carb toast with cream cheese and strawberries
Smoothie made with almond milk, nut butter and spinach

The list is kind of infinite...
I shall try the yogurt with berries. Keep it light and easy. Thanks.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember the libre is notoriously inaccurate below 4 and over 8. Finger prick until you get the measure of yours.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember the libre is notoriously inaccurate below 4 and over 8. Finger prick until you get the measure of yours.

Its not perfect, only experimenting with it. I did see a trend whenever I was below 4. My meter reading was telling me 4.5 so not to bad. but I know its slightly scary seeing below 4s on the libre.