What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.4 this morning which is a surprise.

Had home-made faggots and peas yesterday, and given that the last few days I've been very good and still hit 6's I'm happy to see this score :)

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good your mom had success in France. When I was a young fearless art student wanting to study Fine Art I remember my tutor saying, "So you are happy to live the rest of your life in an attic, cooking Kippers and trying to get warmth from around a candle?" To this day I'm not sure if he was giving me advise for my well being or if commenting on my artistic ability :joyful:
My mum used to comment that the UK has very many good artists and musicians but very few people willing to pay for the time and effort. In France, a friend said to her that if she retained ownership of her art, then she could make prints and sell lots of them at a low price rather than trying to find a single sale at a higher price. Upshot was that she turned her art into greetings cards of all descriptions and they sold very well as well as having a couple of exhibitions each year.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mornng All. 6.1 at 0800. Still the slow come down from carby Sunday I suspect. Mr PM working from home today and friend popping in for a soup lunch. Not sure how all that blends but it will. @Goacher55 and @Cumberland welcome back each good to hear from you. @HarryBeau Charlie and Lola have grown so much but seem very happy and relaxed. @gennepher thank you for another beautiful painting. This turning into the best calender ever for dull January. @Debandez good to see you hope little Jasper and his mum are doing well. Have a good Wednesday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to see 2 members of our family back home again - still the season for that kind of thing. @Cumberland and @Goacher55 have a virtual seat by the fire and several glasses of whatever you fancy. @DJC3 safe journey and the higher fbg may, perhaps, include a strong element of concern for tomorrow as much as protein. A droplet of blood on a strip led my glucometer to display a 5.2 this morning. Accurate description of what happened but not necessarily anything to do with my bg. It will take me a long time to rebuild any trust in the readings or this woe - took 18 moths to break so may take at least that long to rebuild. As Baruch 2:30 put it so well I am a very stiffnecked people! Just to educate you guys on Fenspeak here's a link https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/lost-language-fens-dialect-slang-17327497 No1 was always my favourite but I find a roke so evocative. Have a great day.[/USER]

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from the first International Bin Day double bin week celebration for the decade, in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of getting your accounts to your accountant in the nick of time came in at a rosy 4.0 this a.m.

@DJC3, all the best for today, don’t forget your smog masks in the old smoke.

@gennepher and @Debandez (and @Muddy Cyclist also) - painting apps reminds me of a visit, a few years ago from my mum, who lives in France. She is an artist; pottery, wool (carding, spinning and fancy kintting), and a teacher of Chinese brush work. She used to have a studio and workshop in Bristol. Never made much of a living in the UK but in France, she did OK.
Anyhow - she landed in Leeds and was excited to visit an exhibition by David Hockney in nearby Salts Mill as he had used an IPad to produce his art.
We went - my mother promptly bought an IPad and downloaded the app that David Hockney used. It’s called “Brushes Mobile Painting” - now free open software (Www.brushesapp.com) - I think it’s called Brushes Redox in the Apple App Store.

Blimey, all this typing. Must have koffy.

Have a wonderful day if you can, download a painting app and get finger painting if you can’t.

Wow @dunelm

I will check all that out later...
I am in the office now where a coffee brings unlimited wi fi and unlimited coffee.
Now to meet friend and a search for more paper.
Cheerio....have a good day!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from the first International Bin Day double bin week celebration for the decade, in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of getting your accounts to your accountant in the nick of time came in at a rosy 4.0 this a.m.

@DJC3, all the best for today, don’t forget your smog masks in the old smoke.

@gennepher and @Debandez (and @Muddy Cyclist also) - painting apps reminds me of a visit, a few years ago from my mum, who lives in France. She is an artist; pottery, wool (carding, spinning and fancy kintting), and a teacher of Chinese brush work. She used to have a studio and workshop in Bristol. Never made much of a living in the UK but in France, she did OK.
Anyhow - she landed in Leeds and was excited to visit an exhibition by David Hockney in nearby Salts Mill as he had used an IPad to produce his art.
We went - my mother promptly bought an IPad and downloaded the app that David Hockney used. It’s called “Brushes Mobile Painting” - now free open software (Www.brushesapp.com) - I think it’s called Brushes Redox in the Apple App Store.

Blimey, all this typing. Must have koffy.

Have a wonderful day if you can, download a painting app and get finger painting if you can’t.

Thanks. Travelling today, appointment tomorrow. I think I might download a painting app, thanks for the info, could be very therapeutic I reckon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 safe journey and the higher fbg may, perhaps, include a strong element of concern for tomorrow as protein. .[/USER]

I did wonder, but when I checked out the amount of protein I’d eaten yesterday it was a lot more than usual. My tum is feeling a bit dodgy this morning too - I’m hoping that’s just anxiety and nothing to do with the mussels I ate Monday night - that’d really throw a spanner in the works!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wonder, but when I checked out the amount of protein I’d eaten yesterday it was a lot more than usual. My tum is feeling a bit dodgy this morning too - I’m hoping that’s just anxiety and nothing to do with the mussels I ate Monday night - that’d really throw a spanner in the works!
Protein, smotein already:angelic: BTW, I don't/won't post in what have you eaten today anymore but have gone native a little and signed up to the DD keto 2 month plan - will try when we move; will also try a CGM then. Idea is to test my doubts/cynicism to destruction.
Edited to make last word more tasteful

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m hoping that’s just anxiety and nothing to do with the mussels I ate Monday night - that’d really throw a spanner in the works!
I think you would have had a postcard from the mussels before now and we both know Cornish mussels are the best in the world :) Have a safe journey and all the very best for the check up. Glad Dennis has his schedule all worked out with the girls.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein, smotein already:angelic: BTW, I don't/won't post in what have you eaten today anymore but have gone native a little and signed up to the DD keto 2 month plan - will try when we move; will also try a CGM then. Idea is to test my doubts/cynicism to destruction.
Edited to make last word more tasteful

I’d noticed you were missing from the food thread but understand the need for a bit of time out now and again.
I’m amazed at you signing up for DD though, I really hope that a) You can find some/ any enjoyment in the food and b) it helps with the results you’re hoping to achieve.
Re CGM although it always read lower than finger prick ( because it’s measuring interstitial fluid, not plasma levels) I did find the peaks and troughs ran parallel to eachother so it was useful to see when they actually occurred.

Reactions: ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you would have had a postcard from the mussels before now and we both know Cornish mussels are the best in the world :) Have a safe journey and all the very best for the check up. Glad Dennis has his schedule all worked out with the girls.

Incubation time 24-48 hrs so I’m not out of danger yet, irritatingly, It’s increasing my anxiety - vicious circle! Thanks for the good wishes.
I used to do those therapeutic colouring books during some of my long hospital stays. Mr C would visit and sit the other side of my wheelie tray thing, he’d do one page and I’d do the opposite page. The nurses were always more complimentary of his efforts, though they used to laugh at his tongue sticking out as he concentrated on the task. It really helped to pass the time and with the best will in the world it’s hard to chat for hours every day when not much is new.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m amazed at you signing up for DD though, I really hope that a) You can find some/ any enjoyment in the food and b) it helps with the results you’re hoping to achieve.n
Anyone who knows me would not be amazed. I have a very long history of enjoying I told you so moments. (Memo to self - there's a fault to pray for help with) My hypothesis is enjoyment and results are mostly mutually exclusive for me. This will either not work for bg or pleasure - or either:arghh:. Let's hope I am proved wrong. Oh, have I wished you well for tomorrow yet?:angelic:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been inspired by @dunelms reminder of the David Hockney trees and @gennepher from the wonderful trees she paints I have spent 2 hours on today's watercolour, A4 size. I really like Beech trees in the spring which feels just around the corner on a day like today...

Top picture my watercolour from a photo of Cannock Chase last Spring. Bottom picture by the inspirational David Hockney

IMG_2411.JPG

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
John - sorry to ask a question that maybe you get all the time.... but what is "other" for your condition? :)
That's OK people do ask and I don't mind my other condition is Myasthenia Gravis (MG for short)
That's why I ended up taking quite a high dose of prednisolone for a long time and that caused my diabetes.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been inspired by @dunelms reminder of the David Hockney trees and @gennepher from the wonderful trees she paints I have spent 2 hours on today's watercolour, A4 size. I really like Beech trees in the spring which feels just around the corner on a day like today...

Top picture my watercolour from a photo of Cannock Chase last Spring. Bottom picture by the inspirational David Hockney

View attachment 37698

I like yours better. Much more inspirational, it draws me in, whereas with David's all I notice are the leaves.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8. Not great. I really must stop getting hungry late at night.

I am enjoying looking at all the paintings here, and reading about the various phone painting apps. My Chromebook has a painting app, and I recently used it to draw a cat on a cartoon I found online, for a cat humor thread elsewhere. I had fun doing it despite my total lack of drawing talent, and am not too embarrassed to share it with y'all :D

alexa.jpg