Statins and type 1

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Juicyj. This is a very hot topic that will divide opinions widely.
I have been on stating for a long while now because of a dangerously high cholesterol. Never had any side effects (touch wood). I think you will do all the research and come to your own conclusions

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been doing some more research into statins. It appears that there are four different types of statins. Simvastatin is prescribed in the UK because it is extremely cheap and it has proved to be effective. In countries like Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland Rosuvastatin is prescribed as a better alternative. 10mg dose of Rosuvastatin has a better effect than 40 mg dose of Simvastatin, it is more expensive (not sure how much more) and it does not cause muscle pains, it can cause kidney problems though. It is believed to have fewer or milder side effects all in all. It is also important to acknowledge that statins have a dual role. The first role is to lower cholesterol levels, but the second one is to stabilise the "fatty" plaque that deposits inside the arteries as a result of high cholesterol. If this unstable plaque breaks off it can travel further down the arteries and cause a blockage that can lead to a heart attack if it is in the coronary arteries, or to a stroke if the arteries are in your neck. What it means is that even if your cholesterol appears to stay within the correct levels, there may be plaque built up in your arteries as a result of ageing as well as other medical conditions. Preventing this plaque from breaking off is worth considering. The question is which statins to take and in what quantities. If you google "simvastatin or rosuvastatin" images, you will find many tables, graphs and diagrams comparing the four statins. Interesting read. Notice that increasing simvastatin dose from 20mg to 40mg reduces your cholesterol only by a further 10%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did read that the distribution for those who would require statins, due to cholestrol levels was increasing as the limit of how much cholesterol was safe, had been lowered.. And with little discussion, as I recall.

A point was made of how much each drug needs before it gets to market... So company's rightly get paid an adequate sum for inventing and investing in testing such drugs.

However point was made that the limit was lowered, just as the drug was going out of patent.. Suggestion was limit was lowered to ensure profits stayed high, as others began manufacturing statins themselves.

Can't believe any org would possibly do that...:rolleyes:

Would have to trawl forum to find link, anyone else read that ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve received a letter and prescription for statins from my local GP stating that because I have diabetes the current recommendation is that I should start taking a statin - question is should I and what are people’s thoughts on this ?

Wow Juicy,

You can't get anymore blunt than a letter & a means to hot tail it down to the local chemist..
I've had the question broached for the last 3 years at reviews.. The first time I was told by a locum in no uncertain terms that I would have a stroke of die in the next decade.. I asked for this in writing. There was nothing to suggest I was at risk. Other than diabetic.

I've done my research, & made my choice. Drawing the analogy of sprinkling anti-elephant powder down on my Wiltshire lawn to deter these beasts crashing my hedge & trampling the boarders.. ;)
I'll say no more..

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 'type 1' blanket category, means you need a statin. A stupid oversimplified system, I'm afraid. A much more individual detailed approach should be taken in my opinion.
A complex subject, but tests could be taken and I'm sure not all type 1s actually have any benefit from taking statin.

• Agree
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
The 'type 1' blanket category, means you need a statin. A stupid oversimplified system, I'm afraid. A much more individual detailed approach should be taken in my opinion.
A complex subject, but tests could be taken and I'm sure not all type 1s actually have any benefit from taking statin.
I couldn't agree more. Issued them at the age of 40 and had terrible leg muscle problems. Put on different type and in 2011 reacted with a total body rash. Have not taken them since. Last week I had blood taken and my Colesterol levels and ratios are "exemplary". Yet the hospital were not happy with the idea of me not taking them!

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Atorvastatin 20mg for me.
good cholesteral levels, well controlled 44hba1c and keep resonably fit.
Anyway, I decided to experiment and stop taking mine 2 weeks ago.
Can't really say that any of the potential side effects which we all convince ourselves we probably have to a degree feel any different for me.
So now I'm thinking, do I go back on the statin and maybe just take a smaller dose, maybe 10mg.
Just wondering what dosage you guys may be taking?

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
I'm on the Atorvastatin 40mg - and running 3.9 mmol/l (from my last results) without side effects.

Seems to be working ok - and means I can eat as much cheese as possible without worrying (I 'think' thats the point of them any way.....) :)

Reactions: Zinadane

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Juicyj a good place to start for research is the work of Dr Ben Goldacre, who has been part of various medical advisory committees on statins, and does a lot of work on systematic reviews, basically looking at the overall picture rather than cherrypicking individual studies. Spoiler alert, he doesn't like them, but he does also really go into the data and point out where to find it so you can make your own mind up.

Can you give us a reference to this? I’ve got his Bad Pharma & Bad Science but I haven’t actually read them yet. Appreciated.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Google:
'Do statins work'
By Ben Goldacre.
Seems to be out of stock at most bookshops though.

Last edited:
Reactions: LucySW

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I've been on 40 mg Simvastatin for as long as I can remember , maybe 20 yrs , and as far as I am aware have not had any side effects , I think our bodies are so individual and respond differently to food and drugs that it can only be a 50 / 50 decision on wether we take them .

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP keeps on about statins despite the fact that my arteries are completely clear.

Edited to add - I am a type 2 and my BG has been in the normal range for a couple of years now. He has never asked what I'm doing to achieve that.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Over 10 years ago, my endo told me that, as people with diabetes are more likely to be affected by CVD, the guidelines are for anyone with diabetes over the age of 40 to be offered statins.
She also told me this was based on a studies with people who are overweight and do not exercise. At the time, there was no study for the impact of statins on someone with diabetes who exercise every day and is not overweight. Therefore, I declined and heard nothing until about 3 years ago.
My current endo offers me statins at my annual review. He explained that yoyoing blood sugars, puts extra strain on our hearts.
I still declined but this has motivated me to keep closer eye on my BG and minimise the yoyoing.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Atorvastatin 20mg for me.
good cholesteral levels, well controlled 44hba1c and keep resonably fit.
Anyway, I decided to experiment and stop taking mine 2 weeks ago.
Can't really say that any of the potential side effects which we all convince ourselves we probably have to a degree feel any different for me.
So now I'm thinking, do I go back on the statin and maybe just take a smaller dose, maybe 10mg.
Just wondering what dosage you guys may be taking?
I’m a reluctant statin taker but have agreed to take 10mg Rosuvastatin daily to maintain an acceptable cholesterol level keeping medics off my back and have no side effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77