1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Statins and type 1

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Juicyj, Jan 8, 2020.

1. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Juicyj. This is a very hot topic that will divide opinions widely.
    I have been on stating for a long while now because of a dangerously high cholesterol. Never had any side effects (touch wood). I think you will do all the research and come to your own conclusions

• Like Like x 2
  2. Zinadane

Zinadane Type 1 · Active Member

Hi, I have been doing some more research into statins. It appears that there are four different types of statins. Simvastatin is prescribed in the UK because it is extremely cheap and it has proved to be effective. In countries like Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland Rosuvastatin is prescribed as a better alternative. 10mg dose of Rosuvastatin has a better effect than 40 mg dose of Simvastatin, it is more expensive (not sure how much more) and it does not cause muscle pains, it can cause kidney problems though. It is believed to have fewer or milder side effects all in all. It is also important to acknowledge that statins have a dual role. The first role is to lower cholesterol levels, but the second one is to stabilise the "fatty" plaque that deposits inside the arteries as a result of high cholesterol. If this unstable plaque breaks off it can travel further down the arteries and cause a blockage that can lead to a heart attack if it is in the coronary arteries, or to a stroke if the arteries are in your neck. What it means is that even if your cholesterol appears to stay within the correct levels, there may be plaque built up in your arteries as a result of ageing as well as other medical conditions. Preventing this plaque from breaking off is worth considering. The question is which statins to take and in what quantities. If you google "simvastatin or rosuvastatin" images, you will find many tables, graphs and diagrams comparing the four statins. Interesting read. Notice that increasing simvastatin dose from 20mg to 40mg reduces your cholesterol only by a further 10%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #42 Zinadane, Jan 10, 2020 at 2:43 PM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. Zinadane

Zinadane Type 1 · Active Member

4. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. CearaRed1073

CearaRed1073 Type 1 · Member

6. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Zinadane Unfortunately I have to disagree with the statement that Crestor does not cause muscle pains.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Did read that the distribution for those who would require statins, due to cholestrol levels was increasing as the limit of how much cholesterol was safe, had been lowered.. And with little discussion, as I recall.

A point was made of how much each drug needs before it gets to market... So company's rightly get paid an adequate sum for inventing and investing in testing such drugs.

However point was made that the limit was lowered, just as the drug was going out of patent.. Suggestion was limit was lowered to ensure profits stayed high, as others began manufacturing statins themselves.

Can't believe any org would possibly do that...:rolleyes:

Would have to trawl forum to find link, anyone else read that ?

8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow Juicy,

You can't get anymore blunt than a letter & a means to hot tail it down to the local chemist..
    I've had the question broached for the last 3 years at reviews.. The first time I was told by a locum in no uncertain terms that I would have a stroke of die in the next decade.. I asked for this in writing. There was nothing to suggest I was at risk. Other than diabetic.

I've done my research, & made my choice. Drawing the analogy of sprinkling anti-elephant powder down on my Wiltshire lawn to deter these beasts crashing my hedge & trampling the boarders.. ;)
    I'll say no more..

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook