What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.6 this morning. Not surprising considering that late last night I ate this morning's breakfast. :(
Yesterday afternoon I had a delightful surprise in the grocery store -- they had put out pots of daffodils and tulips and hyacinths (in Buckets!).
So today I am going to try and

e510fc73b48aed77004350bc3a7eb202.jpg

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just remarking back to @OldButBold re the future, interesting topic here re Sonos and the end of life for older tech...

If we get augmented, will that happen to us ..
Wake up one day to find we won't be updated or supported,....:***:

Was quite looking forward to having bionic legs, one day, aka Steve majors...:)

Bionics and RFID augments are readily available now, I would guess that the idea or application of the cyborg would be superseded the moment they were able to download not just the memories of the person but the consciousness and identity. There is already a work underway on this...

https://cs.stanford.edu/people/eroberts/cs201/projects/2010-11/DownloadingConsciousness/tandr.html

If it proves viable then humanity would evolve to a totally different entity. Is the leap far-fetched? Not really, on a biological scale, it would be akin to the gap between apes and homo sapiens.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all and a 4.8 for me. Very happy with that.
Hope you had a quiet intruder free night @gennepher
@Saskia glad your health check went well. My middle daughter who is training to be a mental health nurse told me about the clock drawing as a test for dementia. I had to do it too so she could practice doing the test with people without constantly looking at her notes. It was really interesting the different things they could tell by the different way the clock was drawn. Some people bunch all the numbers up in one section, some put the numbers outside the circle, some miss out numbers completely and are totally unaware. Such a simple test but so useful. Sounds like you passed with flying colours though. I do wonder what they’ll use in 30y time when nobody knows how to tell the time on a proper clock anyway!

Good question! :)
Thank you very much for telling me the reason for the clock drawing. And Congratulations to your daughter for her career goal. She will be helping so many who truly need help.
After reading what she said about some of the people's drawings of the clock I feel kind of silly -- and also very fortunate -- that I only worried about my clock-face being wompy jawed.
30-odd years ago when I worked in a public library I knew a young girl who could not tell time by our wall clock because it was not digital.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The mysteries of time. I have a 150 year old clockwork wall clock, great grandads and passed down through family. I can remember it at my grandads and my moms always running 30mins slow. When I inherited it, yes I have to wind it once a week, I set the time right, within a day it was 30 mins slow again. After a week of this I decided to set the time 30 mins forward so that the the 30 minutes loss would set it at the correct time. Over 2 days it lost a hour and still ran 30 mins slow. I have now given up it runs happily 30 mins slow. My great grandad trained it well. :)

PS I have to add, I find the winding of this clock with the same old key is very satisfactory and I never do it without feeling a connection to the past. Can't do that with battery powered time pieces.

Thank you for posting the story of the clock. I enjoyed reading it. :)
You reminded me of how proud I felt when I grew old enough to be trusted with the nightly winding of our antique clock when my father was away on business trips.
I used to have a cuckoo clock whose running slow or fast could be adjusted by adjusting the weight on its pendulum.

Reactions: DJC3 and trick60

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope it arrives soon. The other thing which might be useful is a Freestyle Libre. The readings are lower than for a finger prick but run parallel in my experience. It monitors every 15 min so you can see exactly where the peaks and troughs are ( without setting your alarm to wake up and test). They are expensive but good for a couple of weeks of information gathering I found.
You’re not going to believe this but got back around 1pm and my Tee 2 had arrived. Tested a drop on both meters Codefree gave me 5.3 Tee2 5.8 yikes! Will continue to test more with both over the next few days. Had some iceberg, cheddar and quarter tub coleslaw for lunch (about 5g carbs) so will test again later. The Libre would be last resort though I dont have a smart phone but could maybe link to my ipad?

Reactions: trick60 and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reality is if over the next week of diligent testing things dont improve then I will request going back to my endo for a c peptide test. As you know I only have two thirds of my pancreas so I might just be running out of endogenous insulin. The good thing is the numbers arent at dangerous level yet just not as good as they should be. He told me if / when that happens and I choose to continue to eat very LC then I will require very little insulin maybe just some background.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did that information produce any improvements in bg control or would you ascribe those to the DD meals or just your genetics?. There often seems to be an element similar to Ben Stokes, Patrick Mahomes (insert outrageously gifted sportsperson of choice) assuming everyone can achieve at their level by merely doing the same as them. I don't understand how wearing a Libre will lower bg anymore than wearing a fbit makes me an athlete. Not aimed at you just a general observation born of frustration. IMHO 4.5 years of effort has not worked for me yet I continually read how foolproof this all is.

I don’t believe it’s foolproof or easy, and I know that in a few weeks the pendulum will swing the other way for me - it always does, but I’m happy to take the good times now and fret about the bad times later. At the mo I think it’s definitely the DD meal plans helping.
I understand your analogy between the Libre and Fitbit. Neither will effect a change per se but both can give you information which might make you consider different choices.
I wasn’t following DD meal plans when I wore the Libre though and I’m not entirely sure it flagged up anything I wasn’t aware of. I’ve seen some people post quite significant rises when they’ve had stressful phone calls and others like @Debandez who had high readings throughout her illness in spite of hardly eating anything. It just goes to show that what we eat, whether lchf, keto, whatever, isn’t the whole picture. I guess we all know that already so maybe you’ll think the Libre is a waste of money as it won’t change anything.
I found it interesting once I’d accepted the fact that it will always be 1-2 mmol lower than the finger prick.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you realise in ye times of olde, you might have been tied to a stake for abilities like that, right...

pretty sure that now you'd just get an Instagram following many would kill for....;):D

Haha I have thought that too! ( the tied to a stake bit, not Instagram - no idea how that works I’m such an old fuddy duddy) No idea why it happens but glad I’m not alone in being a weirdo.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good question! :)
Thank you very much for telling me the reason for the clock drawing. And Congratulations to your daughter for her career goal. She will be helping so many who truly need help.
After reading what she said about some of the people's drawings of the clock I feel kind of silly -- and also very fortunate -- that I only worried about my clock-face being wompy jawed.
30-odd years ago when I worked in a public library I knew a young girl who could not tell time by our wall clock because it was not digital.

I love the expression ‘wompy jawed’!
I’m amazed that 30yrs ago someone couldn’t use a non digital clock.
When I first started school ( longer ago than 30yrs) we spent a lot of time learning to tell the time. We had an ink stamp of a clock face (without hands, just the numbers). So we used to stamp a load of these in our exercise books and then had to draw in the hands of whatever time the teacher said. I can remember really enjoying the stamping bit.
Ps thanks for your comments about my daughter, I know she will be wonderful, she is such an empathetic person. Her favourite placement so far was a day centre for adults with learning difficulties (Downs, autism etc) she learned Makaton so she could laugh and joke with the people there and join in properly. She loved it and said their happiness was infectious, she looked forward to going to work every day.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t believe it’s foolproof or easy, and I know that in a few weeks the pendulum will swing the other way for me - it always does, but I’m happy to take the good times now and fret about the bad times later. At the mo I think it’s definitely the DD meal plans helping.
I understand your analogy between the Libre and Fitbit. Neither will effect a change per se but both can give you information which might make you consider different choices.
I wasn’t following DD meal plans when I wore the Libre though and I’m not entirely sure it flagged up anything I wasn’t aware of. I’ve seen some people post quite significant rises when they’ve had stressful phone calls and others like @Debandez who had high readings throughout her illness in spite of hardly eating anything. It just goes to show that what we eat, whether lchf, keto, whatever, isn’t the whole picture. I guess we all know that already so maybe you’ll think the Libre is a waste of money as it won’t change anything.
I found it interesting once I’d accepted the fact that it will always be 1-2 mmol lower than the finger prick.
Thanks for the friendly reply. As it is Thursday, Jess Glynne is the philosopher of choice. At the time of the post you quoted I was about here: Anger, love, confusion Roads that go nowhere . I know there's somewhere better. 1.5 L bulletproof teas in, around midday, bg = 4.4 and ketones 3.7. Posting at that stage it would all seem easy to me. Curiouser and curiouser

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love the expression ‘wompy jawed’!
I’m amazed that 30yrs ago someone couldn’t use a non digital clock.
When I first started school ( longer ago than 30yrs) we spent a lot of time learning to tell the time. We had an ink stamp of a clock face (without hands, just the numbers). So we used to stamp a load of these in our exercise books and then had to draw in the hands of whatever time the teacher said. I can remember really enjoying the stamping bit.

That sounds like fun. :)
I think I remember a cardboard clock face with movable hands ...

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re not going to believe this but got back around 1pm and my Tee 2 had arrived. Tested a drop on both meters Codefree gave me 5.3 Tee2 5.8 yikes! Will continue to test more with both over the next few days. Had some iceberg, cheddar and quarter tub coleslaw for lunch (about 5g carbs) so will test again later. The Libre would be last resort though I dont have a smart phone but could maybe link to my ipad?

Oh no! Wasn’t expecting that! Yes, more testing will hopefully streamline it a bit but perhaps Dont shell out for a Libre yet then.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waiting for an e-mail link to my A1C results report. Doc and I agreed it might be OK for me to try LCHF for the next 3 weeks and see what my weight and LDL, BP, and A1C numbers are at my next appointment.

Keeping everything crossed for you

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reality is if over the next week of diligent testing things dont improve then I will request going back to my endo for a c peptide test. As you know I only have two thirds of my pancreas so I might just be running out of endogenous insulin. The good thing is the numbers arent at dangerous level yet just not as good as they should be. He told me if / when that happens and I choose to continue to eat very LC then I will require very little insulin maybe just some background.

A good plan, and yes it’s good that your numbers aren’t at dangerous level. I can remember you saying previously that you’d been told you would eventually run out of insulin, which is a sobering thought. At least there is a plan and you know how to do LC so you won’t have to learn that bit, small consolation though it may be. Sending massive hugs your way for all of it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The mysteries of time. I have a 150 year old clockwork wall clock, great grandads and passed down through family. I can remember it at my grandads and my moms always running 30mins slow. When I inherited it, yes I have to wind it once a week, I set the time right, within a day it was 30 mins slow again. After a week of this I decided to set the time 30 mins forward so that the the 30 minutes loss would set it at the correct time. Over 2 days it lost a hour and still ran 30 mins slow. I have now given up it runs happily 30 mins slow. My great grandad trained it well. :)

PS I have to add, I find the winding of this clock with the same old key is very satisfactory and I never do it without feeling a connection to the past. Can't do that with battery powered time pieces.

I love the thought of that connection with past generations, I can well imagine your feeling of peace and contentment doing it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am awaiting the arrival of a new 7" tablet. My second Nook recently died after less than a year of use; my first Nook lasted only 7 months. I trust Barnes & Noble will refund the purchase price -- I really don't want to make a scene in the store!
I priced refurbished iPads online; apparently the smallest iPad is the 10".
I want a 7" tablet; and an Android, not a Kindle Fire, so I can use any available Google apps I might need. Last night I finally settled on a new RCA Voyager. RCA is a good old company.
Surely a tablet should last longer than 7 months! ??

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

i think all meters can be out by a bit and a good bit to boot, @PenguinMum
you probably already know this if ever you retested a moment later or used a different finger even.to check

i fear if your looking for 100% accuracy each time you may sadly just drive yourself crazy.:wacky:
i doubt the two will ever agree, if what i read is correct.

i honestly just look for a trend..so out a bit now, but up a bit later, as long as it's all in a reasonable line
for most things it's fine for me.

obv if i get an 8 or more :woot::***:, then i do investigate the cause..A lovely Indian Dosa was my most recent Miscalculation...nice as it was..

best wishes it all settles down for you..x

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am awaiting the arrival of a new 7" tablet. My second Nook recently died after less than a year of use; my first Nook lasted only 7 months. I trust Barnes & Noble will refund the purchase price -- I really don't want to make a scene in the store!
I priced refurbished iPads online; apparently the smallest iPad is the 10".
I want a 7" tablet; and an Android, not a Kindle Fire, so I can use any available Google apps I might need. Last night I finally settled on a new RCA Voyager. RCA is a good old company.
Surely a tablet should last longer than 7 months! ??
A tablet should defo last more than 7 months and if guaranteed for first year I would expect several years of service. Good luck with your results from the docs.

Reactions: ianpspurs