What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great blood sugars. Lamb seems to be working well. You ask if it could be addictive. Maybe - but not as addictive for me as coffee and Montezuma 100%.
upload_2020-1-23_9-13-21.png

If it takes lamb, Montezuma, coffee and randomly flooding previously edible food with "heavy" cream and cheese to make this work I'm done for. As Spencer Davis said https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/spencerdavisgroup/somebodyhelpme.html

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. Tempus fugit and all that. Anyone else notice modern tea leaves are so much smaller? Don't even mention policemen and doctors who look like the last cohort of year 12 I taught.
Dum Tempus Habemus. Best use it well.

According to my Granddaughters, height dictates where you are on the age scale. MRs MC is only 5 feet tall, our middle granddaughter thinks she is youngest of our friends because she is smaller. Apparently when Mrs MC taught, kids thought she was the youngest teacher in the school although she was the oldest.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking. My strips are kept in the medicine cupboard which is in a cool corner of the kitchen. I will see what happens with the new meter. Also I might start a trial of setting the clock a couple of times between 0200 and 0400 to test. In fact I woke up at 0200 today and wish I had tested but I didnt.

Hope it arrives soon. The other thing which might be useful is a Freestyle Libre. The readings are lower than for a finger prick but run parallel in my experience. It monitors every 15 min so you can see exactly where the peaks and troughs are ( without setting your alarm to wake up and test). They are expensive but good for a couple of weeks of information gathering I found.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting point DJC my strips are sitting on the radiator cover...those ones are going in the bin opening a fresh box now.

It was a sort of lightbulb moment. All the strips were the same batch number but as I worked my way through them, the ones that’d been in the drawer longest gave the most erratic readings. I only started to notice this effect in the winter - when the radiator was on - in the summer, with no radiator heat, the strips were more constant.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...slightly late posting this morning...relaxing with my coffee & cream sitting at the dining table just by the garden doors...kitten training in operation...both Charlie & Lola are fascinated looking outside...I have let them out with me standing by the back door for a couple of minutes...a good sniff & a cautious walk (Lola leading) about...then a quick knock on the door to get them in...so far so good...it will be a while before they get free rein to explore outside I will extend their time bit by bit...woke to a 7.1 no apparent reason...very moderate with the carbs the last few days...yesterday after an 18 hour fast before eating went up to the 8's...wondering if my strips have been comprised by sitting on the radiator cover (@PenguinMum ...so a new pot opened be interesting to see how I fare with those.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a sort of lightbulb moment. All the strips were the same batch number but as I worked my way through them, the ones that’d been in the drawer longest gave the most erratic readings. I only started to notice this effect in the winter - when the radiator was on - in the summer, with no radiator heat, the strips were more constant.
I usually keep my testing kit on the table but the last couple of weeks since the arrival of C @ L moved them off the table...just to stop them getting them down onto the floor...kit going back to it's original place...new pot opened so we'll see how it goes.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you had a peaceful night.
I think most people’s clocks are digital now. I used to wear a watch but had to stop in the end as I have some sort of aura that stops them! Quite bizarre, it I take it off and put in a drawer it starts going again but as soon as I put it on they grind to a halt within a couple of days. Spent loads of money on new batteries and new watches. Very frustrating and I miss a wrist watch.
Thank you @DJC3
I can't wear a watch either...and in close proximity to a clock with hands, the hands stop...one of my daughters could be the same too...

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all and a 4.8 for me. Very happy with that.
Hope you had a quiet intruder free night @gennepher
@Saskia glad your health check went well. My middle daughter who is training to be a mental health nurse told me about the clock drawing as a test for dementia. I had to do it too so she could practice doing the test with people without constantly looking at her notes. It was really interesting the different things they could tell by the different way the clock was drawn. Some people bunch all the numbers up in one section, some put the numbers outside the circle, some miss out numbers completely and are totally unaware. Such a simple test but so useful. Sounds like you passed with flying colours though. I do wonder what they’ll use in 30y time when nobody knows how to tell the time on a proper clock anyway!

Informative in the extreme.. Will be googling that...

But a funny for the last line.... Well observed.. And how very true..:D

Reactions: DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @DJC3
I can't wear a watch either...and in close proximity to a clock with hands, the hands stop...one of my daughters could be the same too...
The mysteries of time. I have a 150 year old clockwork wall clock, great grandads and passed down through family. I can remember it at my grandads and my moms always running 30mins slow. When I inherited it, yes I have to wind it once a week, I set the time right, within a day it was 30 mins slow again. After a week of this I decided to set the time 30 mins forward so that the the 30 minutes loss would set it at the correct time. Over 2 days it lost a hour and still ran 30 mins slow. I have now given up it runs happily 30 mins slow. My great grandad trained it well. :)

PS I have to add, I find the winding of this clock with the same old key is very satisfactory and I never do it without feeling a connection to the past. Can't do that with battery powered time pieces.

Reactions: DJC3 and trick60

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The other thing which might be useful is a Freestyle Libre. The readings are lower than for a finger prick but run parallel in my experience. It monitors every 15 min so you can see exactly where the peaks and troughs are ( without setting your alarm to wake up and test). They are expensive but good for a couple of weeks of information gathering I found.
Did that information produce any improvements in bg control or would you ascribe those to the DD meals or just your genetics?. There often seems to be an element similar to Ben Stokes, Patrick Mahomes (insert outrageously gifted sportsperson of choice) assuming everyone can achieve at their level by merely doing the same as them. I don't understand how wearing a Libre will lower bg anymore than wearing a fbit makes me an athlete. Not aimed at you just a general observation born of frustration. IMHO 4.5 years of effort has not worked for me yet I continually read how foolproof this all is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, late posting and lots to catch up on but a flat 5.0 this morning, must be something in the spuds.

Reactions: karen8967

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you had a peaceful night.
I think most people’s clocks are digital now. I used to wear a watch but had to stop in the end as I have some sort of aura that stops them! Quite bizarre, it I take it off and put in a drawer it starts going again but as soon as I put it on they grind to a halt within a couple of days. Spent loads of money on new batteries and new watches. Very frustrating and I miss a wrist watch.

you realise in ye times of olde, you might have been tied to a stake for abilities like that, right...

pretty sure that now you'd just get an Instagram following many would kill for....;):D

Reactions: DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just remarking back to @OldButBold re the future, interesting topic here re Sonos and the end of life for older tech...

If we get augmented, will that happen to us ..
Wake up one day to find we won't be updated or supported,....:***:

Was quite looking forward to having bionic legs, one day, aka Steve majors...:)

Reactions: UserABC2021

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The mysteries of time. I have a 150 year old clockwork wall clock, great grandads and passed down through family. I can remember it at my grandads and my moms always running 30mins slow. When I inherited it, yes I have to wind it once a week, I set the time right, within a day it was 30 mins slow again. After a week of this I decided to set the time 30 mins forward so that the the 30 minutes loss would set it at the correct time. Over 2 days it lost a hour and still ran 30 mins slow. I have now given up it runs happily 30 mins slow. My great grandad trained it well. :)

PS I have to add, I find the winding of this clock with the same old key is very satisfactory and I never do it without feeling a connection to the past. Can't do that with battery powered time pieces.

Time can be its own master @Muddy Cyclist .....

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @DJC3

Wow! I’ve never noticed the effect in proximity to a clock with hands - you must have a very strong aura.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"..hello, viewers, Today we are looking at possibly the most un-observed species on the planet.

Those who live in the Fourbidden Zone.

A place of much mystery, somewhere many try to find but few do.

How dedicated & dreadful must it have been for those who passed before, to spend a lifetime
trying to reaching this 'Nirvana', yet never to find it.
It has been likened to a Diabetics El Dorado
a place of peace and beauty, were everyone is wealthy with health

Well today we open up the Fourbidden Zone, in a new 6 part series documentary

* We trace their roots from everyday folk to the warriors of Diabetes

* Explore how they slashed their way through high carbs & misinformation to arrive,
here in the resplendent jungles of, what many called unreachable,
but the Fourbidden call, simply ...HOME.

You'll hear tell of awful, unspeakable, practices we in the west simply do not understand.

* Boiling the bones of animals to make Bone Broth,

* Eating, yes dear viewer, Eating the fat on those meats when cooked
* And reducing their carbs from the 500g+ a day we KNOW is healthy down to for some 60g or even LOWER a day..

A subset of the tribe simply refuse the meat and only eat a vegetarian or Vegan diet
Eating plants and vegetables grown without a long list of chemical or list of ingredients, to help make the food taste 'NICE'

* We delve deep into the Bravery of these peoples, to discover what not only drives them to such desperate measures that they DARE to eat such foods, but who then claim to ENJOY eating them..

Incredible i know..yet well documented by earlier explorers.

And yet whichever Ancestral method they choice, they not only don't die on these outlandish diet, they actually thrive.

So much so, many Nations are now scrambling around trying to find any studies for just how they manage to be SO healthy when they reject all that we know to be good and holy in the West..?

Little is known of this tribe, apart from the gossip and hearsay..

I must warn you, caution IS required if watching and a suspension of belief is desirable.

Tales of being able to eat whatever they want....
to
stories of unbelievable fasting and living off fresh air.

So for this First episode let us show you, the viewer, the truth behind those Legends and Stories.

THE FOURBIDDEN ZONE
Episode One.: Naturally Unnatural

I have been taken in by the Oomee-fingha tribe, and allowed free access to their lands.
they are a simple peaceful peoples, living on the plains just below a Falls they call the Six Rivers

We are sat here on the very edge of McGarrett plains looking down into the Fourbidden Zone

i'm at a place the locals call simply 5.2,
A sweet-spot if you like, where many come to visit, dreaming of the day, they too can travel into the Fourbidden Zone

And what a difference down there...:wideyed:

For the Plainsfolk, it's all wooden cabins and lean to's, open fires and meat drying on lines......

"Connection unavailable.
please check you wifi connection and reconnect.
"

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3