Managing exercise and insulin

LSwifeofT1D

Hi! Hope it’s ok to post this here, it’s about exercise My husband is type 1 - diagnosed 2 years ago now at 33. He’s still been in the honeymoon phase so he’s been managing really well with degludec (long lasting) and aspart (fast aching). Hb1ac was 51 last time!

But we knew it wouldn’t last as nurses kept saying he’s still in honeymoon phase.

We recently got a home gym and he’s been doing a good 1-1.5 hours of weightlifting and cycling most days. But his blood sugars go so high afterwards - getting readings of 10 afterwards. Then through out the day he’s been high, then before bed and on waking up he’s still pretty high.

Any advice on how you manage blood sugars after exercise like weightlifting?

We’ve heard BS behaves differently depending on the exercise - so heavy cardio lowers it but weights can increase it.

Or... is he nearing the end of the honeymoon phase?

Franc D

Over the last year I’ve turned into a keen runner completing the Great Scottish run half marathon and a number of 10k road races.

I’m training for the London 2020 marathon in April, currently up to 2nr 10k midweek runs and half marathon distance at the weekend at a time of around 2hrs 5 mins which I’m happy with.

for the longer run I find starting with a normal level BG and having a light breakfast and NO insulin works well although I do get a spike that naturally comes down as the run goes on with it about normal levels at time of finishing.....I always carry my insulin though with SIS sport gels if I need them......

This is fine for me at half marathon distance but for full marathon I’ll need to adjust as it’s important that the muscles get fuel they need which we can’t do without some insulin.....just entering the longer “experimental” phase....

Reactions: Juicyj

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I had my first proper run (i.e outside) and my longest run since starting insulin therapy....so first experiment in the art of running and BG management - 6 mile run / 46 minutes.

BG before 7.0
Took on 10g of carbs.
3 miles in 5.9
End of run 7.6

I'm pretty happy with that!...didn't die and feel much the better for it, and from past experience on the dreadmill I expect my BG's will be pretty easy to manage throughout the rest of the day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @JPW1 Well done on the 6 miler and your stable readings :)

It's very much experimental but keeping a diary and watching how things turn out give us a better indication of what we can do next time, I am now moving up to 10 miles so finding I have to take glucose on after 6-7 miles, just bought some glucose to add to my juice to make it easier to fuel up without stopping so helping that works, I am also getting night time hypos after longer runs, so muscle are depleting my stores then too, so have to run a little higher than i'd like during the night now.

Well done also @Franc D will be keen to hear how your training progress :)

michael_n

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
I've lately decided to start walking more instead of driving or taking the bus and also to hit the gym a couple of times of week. I'm still balancing my diet and looking for suggestions for healthy foods to eat when my glucose drops in the middle of walking/exercising but is still above hypo zone. One can only have so many apples or bananas. Thanks!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello!
I've lately decided to start walking more instead of driving or taking the bus and also to hit the gym a couple of times of week. I'm still balancing my diet and looking for suggestions for healthy foods to eat when my glucose drops in the middle of walking/exercising but is still above hypo zone. One can only have so many apples or bananas. Thanks!
https://brightspotsandlandmines.org/

Adam Brown suggests a) insulin drop or b) starting the walk higher than you would normally be based on how many points you know you will drop during the exercise.
c) How about oatcakes with peanut butter on as a mid walk top up? Slower burning fuel but some carbs to top you up.

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If anyone was keen on their football or futsal and getting some extra support to manage it or get involved with others living with the condition make sure you visit www.thediabetesfootballcommunity.com ... It's been a really exciting and useful asset to the community in the 3 years since we began it.

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can anyone tell me if theres a danger of ketones with reduced insulin and excersize?

I’m currently away skiing and using a combination of reduced bolus (but still some bolus for breakfast and lunch) and snacks and I’m staying in 4.5- 9 range on the libre. If I bolus more I’ll have to eat loads more but just concerned about potential for ketones/dka if I’m not using enough insulin. I’m probably eating 40g. Snack carbs per hour with no bolus for them.

thanks for any thoughts!

Ps it will be tricky to talk to Dsn from here and i don’t have ketone testing strips

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...what exercise you do, what achievements you've had

Well done you :).
I used to go jogging which was ok although i was a bit of light weight about it. But i also used to walk e-v-e-r-y-w-he-r-e. One day a visting friend and i climbed some steep hill (anyone else know Bath?) to a pub for lunch and a game of chess. Afterwards i suggested we try a different route home. Maybe we'd find another pub on the way back. 30 miles later we got back to Bath. Oooh, the fun we had. I bet he still talks about it today....

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, can anyone tell me if theres a danger of ketones with reduced insulin and excersize?

I’m currently away skiing and using a combination of reduced bolus (but still some bolus for breakfast and lunch) and snacks and I’m staying in 4.5- 9 range on the libre. If I bolus more I’ll have to eat loads more but just concerned about potential for ketones/dka if I’m not using enough insulin. I’m probably eating 40g. Snack carbs per hour with no bolus for them.

thanks for any thoughts!

Ps it will be tricky to talk to Dsn from here and i don’t have ketone testing strips

Sorry missed your post there - how did you get on ?

I take less insulin when skiing to avoid going low but never test for ketones so have no idea, I only tend to worry about ketones if i'm running high so above 16 mmol/l for a prolonged period of time and am feeling unwell with it too, never had an issue skiing though as levels tend to stay below 10.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Michael

Well you you could tamp damp your basal if on a pump while walking eg 75% for the duration of the walk. Snack wise most of the slow carb stuff ie oats is mixed with fast acting sweetener eg sugar, HFCS, honey, treacle for palatability. Hence the benefit of oaty stuff is reduced re flatening peak glucose from snacks. Unless you make it yourself and titrate down sweetening. But the total cho will be the similar just flattened out i'd guess.

Hello!

Jamesgib22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type 1 diabetic from Birth. I know there is not a lot of information out there on high intensity training just recently got my blood work back and as the Dr said I am healthier than 95% of the population so if anyone needs help with training carbs and insulin manipulation don't hesitate to drop me a message.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Shaun65

Hi
I have done all sports. I settled into cycling which is great for my blood levels during it! I have to take in about 30g of carbs every hour with no insulin. When home blood can be around 5-6. The thing that I found hard was to accept giving 3 units of slow acting and 8 units of fast acting and nothing to eat. Post exercise, the liver carries on releasing sugars for quite a while afterwards. Check, check and check bloods all the time. 41 years type1, never let it beat you. And remember some days it will do as it pleases for no apparent reason.

MarkHaZ123

Hi
I have done all sports. I settled into cycling which is great for my blood levels during it! I have to take in about 30g of carbs every hour with no insulin. When home blood can be around 5-6. The thing that I found hard was to accept giving 3 units of slow acting and 8 units of fast acting and nothing to eat. Post exercise, the liver carries on releasing sugars for quite a while afterwards. Check, check and check bloods all the time. 41 years type1, never let it beat you. And remember some days it will do as it pleases for no apparent reason.
I do alot of cycling aswell.

I have found lately I don't take slow acting on a morning and I don't take insulin with my breakfast.
I eat say 3 slices of toast or some cereal before heading out and keep checking bloods every hour. I eat carbs and take on energy shots.
I also eat a jelly baby every 20-30 mins

I used to find getting home and jumping in the shower/bath would send me into hypo but I tend to have some more carbs before my bath now
As you say just keep checking bloods, best thing to do

Bishop

Hello guys
I do BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), gym, spinning/cycling and running. My favourite and the main activity is BJJ but nowadays due to all the gyms being closed I mostly do running/spinning. I am type 1 for 10 years now. I know keeping BS withing good ranges is not easy at all. I am learning every day. I am glad to find a place like this where we can share and learn from each other.
Recently I started a new youtube channel about diabetes. I just posted a new video about running with diabetes. Maybe some of the people here may find it useful.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The most sensible solution to the blood glucose fluctuation with exercise problem IMO is to take carbohydrates and bolus insulin out of the equation. Eating ketogenically and becoming fat adapted switched the main source of energy from glucose to fat. I do a lot of kayaking and if I go for a 40 minute paddle when blood glucose is 5.0, it will be much the same when I get back. Getting basal coverage right becomes the main challenge and it is much easier without carbs and bolus insulin getting in the way.

A number of members have posted recently about sport and exercise and ways to manage blood glucose levels before/during/after the event, and as someone who rides a bike, swims regularly and since 2 months ago has started running twice a week (with the help of a libre sensor), i'd be keen to hear from others about what exercise you do, what achievements you've had, what tips you have for exercise/sport and just a general chat about how you manage it.

Personally I do it to stay well and fit as well as to challenge my t1 status and to prove that nothing can stop me from living a 'normal life, and each time I feel like slowing down or stopping I grit my teeth and keep going..

Folks, I have been doing Ironman races for a couple of years now and am using a libre with injections, up until now I have simply reduced my basel when I'm doing my long (4 - 7 hour) training sessions and my races and then I have only eaten when my sugars start dropping to keep them up. Now I'm starting to get times which are quite competitive I'm looking at ways to get faster, nutrition plays a huge part in getting optimal results and I'm thinking that maybe a lack of insulin in my system could be slowing me down or impeding my bodies efficiency so I have 2 questions;
1) does anyone have any literature on this topic, or any advice on what the body requires in regards to insulin levels in order to operate "optimally" for long periods?
2) Does anyone have any anecdotes about ho they have dealt with getting "optimal" performance such races?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, inadequate insulin can impair performance. When I was younger I used ti inject and eat before exercise so I didn't run out of energy. The alternative is to become fat adapted. Takes some getting-used-to but that way we don't need insulin to fuel exercise. I now eat ketogenically and I don't eat before exercise.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Folks, I have been doing Ironman races for a couple of years now and am using a libre with injections, up until now I have simply reduced my basel when I'm doing my long (4 - 7 hour) training sessions and my races and then I have only eaten when my sugars start dropping to keep them up. Now I'm starting to get times which are quite competitive I'm looking at ways to get faster, nutrition plays a huge part in getting optimal results and I'm thinking that maybe a lack of insulin in my system could be slowing me down or impeding my bodies efficiency so I have 2 questions;
1) does anyone have any literature on this topic, or any advice on what the body requires in regards to insulin levels in order to operate "optimally" for long periods?
2) Does anyone have any anecdotes about ho they have dealt with getting "optimal" performance such races?

Hi there - have a browse through this website http://www.extod.org/

I very often find with blood glucose control it’s about finding that sweet spot and being able to maintain it, I use a Dexcom G6 and keep my phone locked into it when exercising so I can at a glance keep track.