1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Managing exercise and insulin

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Juicyj, Oct 11, 2017.

1. LSwifeofT1D

LSwifeofT1D · Newbie

Hi! Hope it’s ok to post this here, it’s about exercise My husband is type 1 - diagnosed 2 years ago now at 33. He’s still been in the honeymoon phase so he’s been managing really well with degludec (long lasting) and aspart (fast aching). Hb1ac was 51 last time!

But we knew it wouldn’t last as nurses kept saying he’s still in honeymoon phase.

We recently got a home gym and he’s been doing a good 1-1.5 hours of weightlifting and cycling most days. But his blood sugars go so high afterwards - getting readings of 10 afterwards. Then through out the day he’s been high, then before bed and on waking up he’s still pretty high.

Any advice on how you manage blood sugars after exercise like weightlifting?

We’ve heard BS behaves differently depending on the exercise - so heavy cardio lowers it but weights can increase it.

Or... is he nearing the end of the honeymoon phase?

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Franc D

Franc D · Newbie

Over the last year I’ve turned into a keen runner completing the Great Scottish run half marathon and a number of 10k road races.

I’m training for the London 2020 marathon in April, currently up to 2nr 10k midweek runs and half marathon distance at the weekend at a time of around 2hrs 5 mins which I’m happy with.

for the longer run I find starting with a normal level BG and having a light breakfast and NO insulin works well although I do get a spike that naturally comes down as the run goes on with it about normal levels at time of finishing.....I always carry my insulin though with SIS sport gels if I need them......

This is fine for me at half marathon distance but for full marathon I’ll need to adjust as it’s important that the muscles get fuel they need which we can’t do without some insulin.....just entering the longer “experimental” phase....

• Like Like x 1
  3. JPW1

JPW1 LADA · Well-Known Member

So I had my first proper run (i.e outside) and my longest run since starting insulin therapy....so first experiment in the art of running and BG management - 6 mile run / 46 minutes.

BG before 7.0
    Took on 10g of carbs.
    3 miles in 5.9
    End of run 7.6

I'm pretty happy with that!...didn't die and feel much the better for it, and from past experience on the dreadmill I expect my BG's will be pretty easy to manage throughout the rest of the day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @JPW1 Well done on the 6 miler and your stable readings :)

It's very much experimental but keeping a diary and watching how things turn out give us a better indication of what we can do next time, I am now moving up to 10 miles so finding I have to take glucose on after 6-7 miles, just bought some glucose to add to my juice to make it easier to fuel up without stopping so helping that works, I am also getting night time hypos after longer runs, so muscle are depleting my stores then too, so have to run a little higher than i'd like during the night now.

Well done also @Franc D will be keen to hear how your training progress :)

5. michael_n

michael_n Type 1 · Member

Hello!
    I've lately decided to start walking more instead of driving or taking the bus and also to hit the gym a couple of times of week. I'm still balancing my diet and looking for suggestions for healthy foods to eat when my glucose drops in the middle of walking/exercising but is still above hypo zone. One can only have so many apples or bananas. Thanks!

6. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

https://brightspotsandlandmines.org/

Adam Brown suggests a) insulin drop or b) starting the walk higher than you would normally be based on how many points you know you will drop during the exercise.
    c) How about oatcakes with peanut butter on as a mid walk top up? Slower burning fuel but some carbs to top you up.

7. brighty14

brighty14 Type 1 · Active Member

If anyone was keen on their football or futsal and getting some extra support to manage it or get involved with others living with the condition make sure you visit www.thediabetesfootballcommunity.com ... It's been a really exciting and useful asset to the community in the 3 years since we began it.

8. Goma5

Goma5 Type 1 · Member

Hi, can anyone tell me if theres a danger of ketones with reduced insulin and excersize?

I’m currently away skiing and using a combination of reduced bolus (but still some bolus for breakfast and lunch) and snacks and I’m staying in 4.5- 9 range on the libre. If I bolus more I’ll have to eat loads more but just concerned about potential for ketones/dka if I’m not using enough insulin. I’m probably eating 40g. Snack carbs per hour with no bolus for them.

thanks for any thoughts!

Ps it will be tricky to talk to Dsn from here and i don’t have ketone testing strips

9. caius2x8

caius2x8 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done you :).
    I used to go jogging which was ok although i was a bit of light weight about it. But i also used to walk e-v-e-r-y-w-he-r-e. One day a visting friend and i climbed some steep hill (anyone else know Bath?) to a pub for lunch and a game of chess. Afterwards i suggested we try a different route home. Maybe we'd find another pub on the way back. 30 miles later we got back to Bath. Oooh, the fun we had. I bet he still talks about it today....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry missed your post there - how did you get on ?

I take less insulin when skiing to avoid going low but never test for ketones so have no idea, I only tend to worry about ketones if i'm running high so above 16 mmol/l for a prolonged period of time and am feeling unwell with it too, never had an issue skiing though as levels tend to stay below 10.

11. caius2x8

caius2x8 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Michael

Well you you could tamp damp your basal if on a pump while walking eg 75% for the duration of the walk. Snack wise most of the slow carb stuff ie oats is mixed with fast acting sweetener eg sugar, HFCS, honey, treacle for palatability. Hence the benefit of oaty stuff is reduced re flatening peak glucose from snacks. Unless you make it yourself and titrate down sweetening. But the total cho will be the similar just flattened out i'd guess.

12. Jamesgib22

Jamesgib22 Type 1 · Member

I am a type 1 diabetic from Birth. I know there is not a lot of information out there on high intensity training just recently got my blood work back and as the Dr said I am healthier than 95% of the population so if anyone needs help with training carbs and insulin manipulation don't hesitate to drop me a message.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Shaun65

Shaun65 · Newbie

Hi
    I have done all sports. I settled into cycling which is great for my blood levels during it! I have to take in about 30g of carbs every hour with no insulin. When home blood can be around 5-6. The thing that I found hard was to accept giving 3 units of slow acting and 8 units of fast acting and nothing to eat. Post exercise, the liver carries on releasing sugars for quite a while afterwards. Check, check and check bloods all the time. 41 years type1, never let it beat you. And remember some days it will do as it pleases for no apparent reason.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Active Member

I do alot of cycling aswell.

I have found lately I don't take slow acting on a morning and I don't take insulin with my breakfast.
    I eat say 3 slices of toast or some cereal before heading out and keep checking bloods every hour. I eat carbs and take on energy shots.
    I also eat a jelly baby every 20-30 mins

I used to find getting home and jumping in the shower/bath would send me into hypo but I tend to have some more carbs before my bath now
    As you say just keep checking bloods, best thing to do

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook