What Am I Missing?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's now two months since I was diagnosed and I have been strict low-carb in that time (with the exception of two days, and I learnt from that mistake). Fasting 18hrs maybe five days in seven. My weight is falling pretty quickly - not sure what I was when I started or what I am today, but I was weighed by the DPN in January and was 110kg - below my 2017 weight.

BG figures are low and stable - I have a month's meter data now and a reading over 6 is rare. Nothing ever above 7.3, and mainly in the 4.7 to 5.6 range. Can't work out how to post the graphs here. Predicting an HbA1c in the mid thirties.

DPN is pushing statins again because surprise, my cholesterol is up but I'm fasting and losing weight, so what do you expect. Not ever taking statins anyway.

This all seems good, but I'm not stupid enough to think I've cracked it. Couple of questions - what am I missing, and what can I expect next?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I don't think you are missing much.

Losing weight.
Good food choices.
Good BG.
Refusing statins, based on knowledge.

Stick with it and you should see major benefits.

Are you thinking that it seems too easy?

M

Member496333

Nothing. Keep calm and carry on.

Oh and congratulations with your excellent progress.

Reactions: KennyA

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing brilliantly. Next step is simply to carry on - which sometimes isn't as easy as it sounds when you are years down the line. But missing anything? No, I don't think so.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't work out how to post the graphs here.

This might be because the image file size is too large. You need to shrink it. I used to use an app called pic stitch but more recently on iPad and iPhone it gives you a choice of file size before posting, I choose Medium and that works.

Well done on your stats and doing your homework!

M

Member496333

Come to think of it, the titular question is probably what your nurse should be asking herself ;)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you are missing much.

Losing weight.
Good food choices.
Good BG.
Refusing statins, based on knowledge.

Stick with it and you should see major benefits.

Are you thinking that it seems too easy?

Yes. It helps that I don't really miss the carbs that much. Finding the low-carb beer (1.6g, Marston's Resolution) was a big boost for morale - that info came from this here website, which has been really crucial in my understanding of what I have to do. I've also just made contact with a nearby "Low-Carb" group.....no carbs, no statins.

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
2020 27-02 Feb.JPG

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - if your GP is anything like mine the next step is sulking.
I have got NFA on my files and have not seen my GP for over three years, not since diagnosis.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's now two months since I was diagnosed and I have been strict low-carb in that time (with the exception of two days, and I learnt from that mistake). Fasting 18hrs maybe five days in seven. My weight is falling pretty quickly - not sure what I was when I started or what I am today, but I was weighed by the DPN in January and was 110kg - below my 2017 weight.

BG figures are low and stable - I have a month's meter data now and a reading over 6 is rare. Nothing ever above 7.3, and mainly in the 4.7 to 5.6 range. Can't work out how to post the graphs here. Predicting an HbA1c in the mid thirties.

DPN is pushing statins again because surprise, my cholesterol is up but I'm fasting and losing weight, so what do you expect. Not ever taking statins anyway.

This all seems good, but I'm not stupid enough to think I've cracked it. Couple of questions - what am I missing, and what can I expect next?
Agree with the others: you're not missing anything, and you can expect the medical establishment to be baffled, to disagree, and then check the numbers again and say you can't possibly keep this up. But you can, and you will, and you'll live a long and complication-free life. Yay, you!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - if your GP is anything like mine the next step is sulking.
I have got NFA on my files and have not seen my GP for over three years, not since diagnosis.
My GP is OK, actually. It's the DPN I worry about.

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure I see anything missing either :)

On the rise in cholesterol - I had a small rise in LDL (but also a rise in HDL too) but my ratio of HDL and overall remained the same (slightly higher than it should be). I saw an interesting talk by Ivor Cummins which points to higher cholesterol at the start of a low carb diet which intrigues me. No one is pushing statins at me (because of my age, I think!), but I will be interested in my next check up to see where that cholesterol level is...

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
Yes. It helps that I don't really miss the carbs that much. Finding the low-carb beer (1.6g, Marston's Resolution) was a big boost for morale - that info came from this here website, which has been really crucial in my understanding of what I have to do. I've also just made contact with a nearby "Low-Carb" group.....no carbs, no statins.
Thanks for the low carb beer tip! I just ordered 3 cases (to get free delivery, lol)! :D:D:D:wacky:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice. I'm very conscious of the experience that people on here have and the willingness to help. No carbs no statins no problem.

Reactions: Rachox

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the low carb beer tip! I just ordered 3 cases (to get free delivery, lol)! :D:D:D:wacky:
Oh yes, should have mentioned that. I think 72 with free delivery was about £5 more than 48 paid for. It's not the greatest beer in the world but it is beer and it is really low carb. By far the best of the few I've tried - Skinny Lager (meh) and Michelob Ultra (just don't - I think it's weak beer watered down). Cisk Excel is a Maltese beer that is supposed to both be good and be "half the carbs of normal beers", which could still be a lot. Seems to be hard to get in the UK.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
Oh yes, should have mentioned that. I think 72 with free delivery was about £5 more than 48 paid for. It's not the greatest beer in the world but it is beer and it is really low carb. By far the best of the few I've tried - Skinny Lager (meh) and Michelob Ultra (just don't - I think it's weak beer watered down). Cisk Excel is a Maltese beer that is supposed to both be good and be "half the carbs of normal beers", which could still be a lot. Seems to be hard to get in the UK.
I have to say I am quite liking these. I just had a week off work and I enjoyed a few every other night - first case almost gone! :D They are closer in taste to light lager than ale. What can I say, it goes down just fine, lol. Cheers!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say I am quite liking these. I just had a week off work and I enjoyed a few every other night - first case almost gone! :D They are closer in taste to light lager than ale. What can I say, it goes down just fine, lol. Cheers!
I'm really glad you like them. Marston's should be giving me freebies by now. I've had a friend (whose opinion on beer I trust) on holiday in Malta try the Cisk Excel but he's not encouraging. I have also experimented with a thing called "Mike's Hard Water" also claiming near-zero carbs, but it seems to be cheap vodka, soda water and a drop of lemon. Do-it-yourself for next to nothing.