What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg.....drum roll....5.9
It has never been that low before for fbg...
So...
Celebrations :angelic:
But how did I do it?
Don't have a clue.
But I ate less meat yesterday.
I ate my nuts at 5 to 6 am..I think (something like that I think).
A friend texted me to meet yesterday at McDonald's! So I went. And so next food was 10:45 of a breakfast McMuffin and cappuccino.
Driving home I had a packet of pork scratchings.
Then 6pm it was 5 fishfingers (5 is half the packet, so why not? If the packet were 12...). Nothing else with it. I do have to 'blame' @PenguinMum for re introducing me to fish fingers (my favourite food). They are the small fish fingers.
That was it apart from tea, black coffee, and one cup of chicory coffee.
So, there was also about 6 hours between each main meal.

Anyway, here is my daily painting challenge to myself...
Acrylics. A4. Black fude pen.
473A6722-605D-493D-961A-032B9A446C9A.jpeg

Have fun
Take care
Hugs if you need them...

Reactions: DJC3 and karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
great news that the eye injection was stress free, you must be made of very hardy stock.
I think that the reason it is stress free is that I ask for extra anaesthetic drops in my eye and the eye feels much more comfortable in the hours after the injection when normally it would be very sore. Thank goodness for anaesthetic eye drops.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wont get so many clubcard points now as I shop in aldi and lidl mostly these days. Probably saving enough to buy a boat and sail over myself!
We are exactly the same. We have saved so much money shopping at Aldi and the quality of food is amazing.

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ironic trick I failed everything in school...then went back to education years after I left it often its not the pupil that really fails it's the system.

It is the system @HarryBeau and @trick60
I got bottom marks, at school, with everything except sums and algebra (geometry I never understood, I couldn't hear what the teacher was saying with being deaf)(I was sent to a hearing school, my parents weren't having a child who was sent to a handicapped school, so this meant I had to box clever to try and cope). But I had the knack then for just writing down the right answer for both sums and algebra (I didn't understand the workings of algebra, but I could see the right answer and write it down). So of course I got into trouble for cheating. Which I wasn't. Even when a teacher stood over me, I could still just write the answer, but they wanted the workings out (but with being deaf I couldn't hear the teacher talking/explaining in class), and I couldn't do that. Eventually after detentions and punishments etc because I was 'cheating' in their eyes, I gave up, and have had a mental block with numbers since then. I still have problems with numbers now. It is a nuisance. I went back to education the 90's and early 2000's, and got a pile of stuff, but I found it very hard because I still have this mental block for learning. I just wanted to prove I wasn't stupid.

This whole school experience for being blamed for something I didn't do sent me off the rails...

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of fun fairs and roller coaster rides produced an assortment of readings this morning to complement my staggered “why am I awake again” game:
0425 - 3.7
0630 - 3.0
0720 - 5.4
I blame a couple of dodgy sausages gobbled up in a cafe at lunchtime yesterday so serves me right.

@SaskiaKC - go on then, fire away? I do know that in Apache villages that the squaw on the hippopotamus hide is equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two hides and is called Soh Cah Toa. Please don’t bang on about where the hippo came into it or we will get into evolutionary arguments involving the hippopotamus major.

@Muddy Cyclist - will Capability Brown now be gathering around people, wherever they roam to admit that the waters around them has grown?

@gennepher - Love the curling ferns and the promise of spring (you can eat the freshly uncurling tips but you would only want to go to the trouble of boiling out the poison if you were starving). Good drills on the reading - whatever they were - might be the fasting between meals - might be less meat - the answer is blowing in the wind perhaps?

@ianpspurs - lots going on, lots of cortisol wandering about? A bit of quiet contemplation or a mind altering array of kitchen gadgets to play with.

Have as wonderful a day as you you can and celebrate the 331st anniversary of Parliament adopting the Bill of Rights or, if that’s your thing, mourn the 478th anniversary of the demise of Catherine Howard. I’m celebrating having koffy.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher - Love the curling ferns and the promise of spring (you can eat the freshly uncurling tips but you would only want to go to the trouble of boiling out the poison if you were starving). Good drills on the reading - whatever they were - might be the fasting between meals - might be less meat - the answer is blowing in the wind perhaps?

Thank you @dunelm :)

As a child I believed eating fern seeds made you invisible...I blame the stories of E.Nesbit for that.

Probably the answer to the fbg is blowing in the wind, because what is true today is not true tomorrow...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Another 6.2. Terrible stormy conditions overnight here but calm now. I am off to the hairdressers soon. @gennepher congrats for the FBG and the painting. @ianpspurs its not surprising BG will go stir crazy in the hubbub of the move in. Its great to have your boy nearby and I know you will enjoy the set up of the new kitchen gadgets. Hugs to you both. @SaskiaKC Maths was my worst subject at high school. I am good with arithmetic but geometry and algebra passed me by completely. I dont know why they aren’t an optional add on. @Muddy Cyclist glad you had a good day at Trentam and thanks for the lovely postcard. @HarryBeau hug for the necessary balancing act but star for the sensibility. Where did the catnip bananas come from? My two would love them. @DJC3 batten down the hatches for Storm Dennis.
Hope I haven left anyone out but best wishes to all this Thursday. Stay well, stay safe.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This whole school experience for being blamed for something I didn't do sent me off the rails...
That is hard reading gennepher what a dreadful experience/s...my school days were less traumatic but ours was very selective & if you didn't have parents contributing to the school or weren't holy enough that was it destined to leave as soon as you reached leaving age...despite not having succeeded academically during my school years I returned to education...went on to university & proved it can be done.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
13-02-2020
@SaskiaKC Have often had similar thoughts about the amount of food in beauty products, proportion probably tiny in each bottle, but en masse? Surely there are better uses for avocados, Etc? And ofc the pumpkins. Grown to be wasted as food.
@gennepher love this morning's painting. I like them all, but this one reflects my love of tiny things.

7.55am FBG 5.6
So I still don't know what affects it.
Very cold and blowy, but sunny here in Normandy. Hoping storm Dennis has finished with us.
Making pancakes and looking for items lost in the move last May...including cake tins. That could take a while.
More decorating, sadly some of last night's effort is not very good and will need redoing. Still 7 cupboards, 5 drawers and a shelf unit to do, plus all the kickboards. Will it be finished by saturday? Kickboards could wait, but i really want the rest to have time to cure while we are away.

Edited to add.
The chain of minor emergencies continues. This morning the roof is off a shed.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting discussions about maths, your experieces were dreadful @gennepher . My family have always enjoyed maths ( dad was an engineer, brother a maths teacher, eldest daughter an accountant) my middle daughter who has just been diagnosed on the autistic spectrum says that maths is the only sure thing in the world - the only thing that makes any sense! Her partner has always struggled with maths though and didn’t get GCSE she has realised that she will never get any but the most menial jobs now, so is currently studying for it at night school. 2 hrs every Thursday night is hard going after a day at work, and when it’s dark and cold outside but she’s doing well and sticking at it - your story is really encouraging @HarryBeau and I shall tell her about it.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't defend the education system from the woeful treatments and attitudes such as those suffered by @gennepher. The schools I worked in from late 90s onwards were highly tuned to individual needs. Lesson plans and seating plans needed to be available at all times showing awareness of all individual needs , lesson by lesson current level and expected progress including preferred learning style, questions to be asked of those students (linked to their current level and how the question would advance them) and expected progress for each lesson. Part of my role was to analyse progress for all students taught by my team and ensure they fulfilled their potential. Most schools now hold all that data centrally and involve students in discussions around areas where the data indicated problems. Hopefully life has moved on since mid to late C20th. Sadly, I don't think all schools and teachers plan and monitor in that detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: UserABC2021

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting discussions about maths, your experieces were dreadful @gennepher . My family have always enjoyed maths ( dad was an engineer, brother a maths teacher, eldest daughter an accountant) my middle daughter who has just been diagnosed on the autistic spectrum says that maths is the only sure thing in the world - the only thing that makes any sense! Her partner has always struggled with maths though and didn’t get GCSE she has realised that she will never get any but the most menial jobs now, so is currently studying for it at night school. 2 hrs every Thursday night is hard going after a day at work, and when it’s dark and cold outside but she’s doing well and sticking at it - your story is really encouraging @HarryBeau and I shall tell her about it.
i loved maths at school i just sort of got it and both my sons were the same and eldest grandson is a little maths wizz at five .i was also very good at french but i hated the subject but again didnt need to try or revise just clicked with me :)

Reactions: DJC3

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I shall tell her about it.
DJC I left school without any qualifications told there was no point in staying on not academic or academically gifted...left had all sorts of jobs for years then decided to try some 'o' levels did those not as difficult as I'd been told...then another course which got me to university where as a mature student I held my own with the bright young 'A' level students...got myself a good degree in pure law which has served me well & earned me a living for over 25 years...she can do it those couple of hours at night school will be such a great investment fingers crossed for her.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DJC I left school without any qualifications told there was no point in staying on not academic or academically gifted...left had all sorts of jobs for years then decided to try some 'o' levels did those not as difficult as I'd been told...then another course which got me to university where as a mature student I held my own with the bright young 'A' level students...got myself a good degree in pure law which has served me well & earned me a living for over 25 years...she can do it those couple of hours at night school will be such a great investment fingers crossed for her.

Thanks, that is so encouraging and exactly what she needs to hear!