What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DJC I left school without any qualifications told there was no point in staying on not academic or academically gifted...left had all sorts of jobs for years then decided to try some 'o' levels did those not as difficult as I'd been told...then another course which got me to university where as a mature student I held my own with the bright young 'A' level students...got myself a good degree in pure law which has served me well & earned me a living for over 25 years...she can do it those couple of hours at night school will be such a great investment fingers crossed for her.
harryBeau i left school with no qualifications sort of went off the rails a bit my brother went to university got loads of qualifications but i was a lot cleverer never went back into education ive never regretted it it is what it is and im happy enough with how ive turned out :angelic:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i loved maths at school i just sort of got it and both my sons were the same and eldest grandson is a little maths wizz at five .i was also very good at french but i hated the subject but again didnt need to try or revise just clicked with me :)

I agree there is something very satisfying about maths but it does seem you either get it or not. I’m sure a lot depends on the early teachers.
I am hopeless at all languages, it’s a big regret, I wish I had the knack.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Another 6.2. @DJC3 batten down the hatches for Storm Dennis.

Dennis is not enjoying his namesake one little bit. I had to carry him out this morning, then he shot under a clump of pampas grass and refused to come out. I had to sort of limbo underneath and carry him up the lane to perform. Hope the weather doesn’t spoil the new hairdo.
IMG_1933.jpg

Snap with fbg!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, that is so encouraging and exactly what she needs to hear!
Once she's finished her night classes she should look about for another course...plenty of access courses that pave the way for further education if that is what she wants...often our education system fails pupils instead of warning student how badly they will fare at exam time if they haven't put in the hours...they should encourage students to look forward to exams be confident demonstrate what they know what they've learned that is if they have been well taught...sadly that's not always the case.

Reactions: DJC3 and jjraak

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it was 3.1 :( not the best! but i’m gonna try my best to come up with better fbg
blacknjr have you done basal testing to check that you have that set at right levels it does make all the difference ,and have you checked that insulin to carb ratio is correct (i am persuming you are t1 apoligies if not i have missed some posts)the thing to try and remember is not to panic have afew gluco tabs or jelly babies or a sugar drink to bring levels back up then a little bit of carbs to level you out so you dont drop again after the sugar rush hypos are a pain just as the hypers are hope you get sorted :)

Reactions: blacknjr

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is hard reading gennepher what a dreadful experience/s...my school days were less traumatic but ours was very selective & if you didn't have parents contributing to the school or weren't holy enough that was it destined to leave as soon as you reached leaving age...despite not having succeeded academically during my school years I returned to education...went on to university & proved it can be done.

Hi @HarryBeau
School has a lot to answer for if you don't fit in.
They don't make it easy for different people that don't fit into their parameters.
It can be done later in life. You did well.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, well, 5.6 this morning :)

Maybe it's Maybelline or maybe it was the crumpet ;) Today is a driving day, delivering the ashes of her ladyships aunty to their final resting place and other such joys. Haven't looked out of the window yet but I can hear the rain drumming the dawn into existence.

Thank you, and yes it takes a while. Sadly it's a syndrome that is literally decades in the making, like a slow cooker on low ;) There are forums but they're not for me, too maudlin for someone with my cheerful outlook on life :)

STONKING answer at end..:D

and from what i have seen of you on here...Absolutely BANG ON the Money..
m1272.gif

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg.....drum roll....5.9
It has never been that low before for fbg...
So...
Celebrations :angelic:
But how did I do it?
Don't have a clue.
But I ate less meat yesterday.
I ate my nuts at 5 to 6 am..I think (something like that I think).
A friend texted me to meet yesterday at McDonald's! So I went. And so next food was 10:45 of a breakfast McMuffin and cappuccino.
Driving home I had a packet of pork scratchings.
Then 6pm it was 5 fishfingers (5 is half the packet, so why not? If the packet were 12...). Nothing else with it. I do have to 'blame' @PenguinMum for re introducing me to fish fingers (my favourite food). They are the small fish fingers.
That was it apart from tea, black coffee, and one cup of chicory coffee.
So, there was also about 6 hours between each main meal.

Anyway, here is my daily painting challenge to myself...
Acrylics. A4. Black fude pen.
View attachment 38556
Have fun
Take care
Hugs if you need them...

I blame the nuts...:D

hells bells, McMuffin AND a Capuchino..(past delights ..well McMuffin was :sorry:)
wouldn't bother now, so no idea if it WOULD spike me but i'd expect it to.

but you ate so little yesterday, maybe that's your balance of food per day ?
me..I'd be gnawing at my Knuckles if i only ate that much....:***:
Or it could be the gap in between ?

it's a bit like Countdown, really this T2 lark, sometimes

Just one BIG conundrum.;):bag:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't defend the education system from the woeful treatments and attitudes such as those suffered by @gennepher. The schools I worked in from mid 90s onwards were highly tuned to individual needs. Lesson plans and seating plans needed to be available at all times showing awareness of all individual needs , lesson by lesson current level and expected progress including preferred learning style, questions to be asked of those students (linked to their current level and how the question would advance them) and expected progress for each lesson. Part of my role was to analyse progress for all students taught by my team and ensure they fulfilled their potential. Most schools now hold all that data centrally and involve students in discussions around areas where the data indicates problems. Hopefully life has moved on since mid to late C20th. Sadly, I don't think all schools and teachers plan and monitor in that detail.
That would have been an amazing school for me @ianpspurs
Especially that seating arrangement awareness is good. I was always put at the back of the class because I was the tallest. It was arranged so the tallest pupils were at the back and the shortest at the front. I did explain, to teacher and headmistress and my parents that I couldn't lipread the teacher from the back of the class... but I was ignored. Finally, and I am only 11 or 12 years old, I went to the education offices to explain to them about my deafness and that I couldn't lipread the teacher where I was located in the classroom, and some more bad stuff, and that I had explained to the teacher and the headmistress. All hell broke loose then. And they had to investigate. And the school was investigated. But it didn't achieve anything good for me, it was worse for me afterwards. Even my parents disapproved what I had done.

Obviously I was upset at the time. I can still remember sobbing my heart out, and the feeling of that. But nothing ever cowed me into submission.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks but I think orthorexia/selfishness covers it much better. Much as I assume you stand back and evaluate your artwork realistically this experience has been far more useful for putting my WOE into context for how it impacts others than for bg control. Outside the silo of this forum much of this - LCHF, odd supplements and regimes - makes no sense whatsoever.

mmhh..i know you are having ongoing issues @ianpspurs
but can only speak for myself,
this LCHF lifestyle hasn't really given me too many issues, once i settled in for the Long Haul.

Kind of like that my fridge has foods i can eat that 'mostly' won't spike me, ( still others ot consider)
is all REAL food now, not fortified cereals, No MORE Cr** foods either
NO Microwaveable meals EVER,
Nothing with an ingredient list longer then say 5-8 items on it.
(usually says MEAT : end of ingredients list)

In fact it's full foods i LIKE..and Enjoy.

Guess i'm just blessed.

Sure I've been naughty, but i always think it's still just another day of life,
not a Life sentence T2 brings each day.

Altered, For sure..changed..undeniably
Could i cut down more and get into optimal figures on a daily basis..maybe
would i enjoy it as much..Nope

i wish you better enjoyment as the year rolls on,
the Fight or Flee mechanism, surely had some part to play with the move, imho.
and the other thing may have longer slower lasting impacts, hope not..but i think most scores you post
are in the very reasonable range..much better then if you just took the Blue pill, and failed to open your eyes.

Remarkable effort so far, looking in from the outside,,but at the end of day it IS how you perceive it that only counts.

whether it ever settles at a place you find acceptable, only you can know for sure.
I do wish you all the best in your voyage of discovering that place.

Travel safe, Travel well., my Friend :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I blame the nuts...:D

hells bells, McMuffin AND a Capuchino..(past delights ..well McMuffin was :sorry:)
wouldn't bother now, so no idea if it WOULD spike me but i'd expect it to.

but you ate so little yesterday, maybe that's your balance of food per day ?
me..I'd be gnawing at my Knuckles if i only ate that much....:***:
Or it could be the gap in between ?

it's a bit like Countdown, really this T2 lark, sometimes

Just one BIG conundrum.;):bag:
I know @jjraak a McMuffin!!!
That was brilliant!

Both that and the cappuccino were heaven. Bliss....

I don't usually ever feel hungry. It is an unknown feeling for me.

I am trying the same today (not the McMuffin obviously) .
Just had nuts at 5am, but I need to go out in a bit, so I am going to have some food, but not sure what to eat from my kitchen...it is 11:45 am now.
Then I will eat again at 6 pm

The we'll know if the secret ingredient for the lower fbg was the McMuffin ;)

I have a vague idea that it might be my balance of food per day as you say which might control blood sugars.

But then the 6 hourish gap is there also...

See what tommorow's fbg brings...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of fun fairs and roller coaster rides produced an assortment of readings this morning to complement my staggered “why am I awake again” game:
0425 - 3.7
0630 - 3.0
0720 - 5.4
I blame a couple of dodgy sausages gobbled up in a cafe at lunchtime yesterday so serves me right.

@SaskiaKC - go on then, fire away? I do know that in Apache villages that the squaw on the hippopotamus hide is equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two hides and is called Soh Cah Toa. Please don’t bang on about where the hippo came into it or we will get into evolutionary arguments involving the hippopotamus major.

@Muddy Cyclist - will Capability Brown now be gathering around people, wherever they roam to admit that the waters around them has grown?

@gennepher - Love the curling ferns and the promise of spring (you can eat the freshly uncurling tips but you would only want to go to the trouble of boiling out the poison if you were starving). Good drills on the reading - whatever they were - might be the fasting between meals - might be less meat - the answer is blowing in the wind perhaps?

@ianpspurs - lots going on, lots of cortisol wandering about? A bit of quiet contemplation or a mind altering array of kitchen gadgets to play with.

Have as wonderful a day as you you can and celebrate the 331st anniversary of Parliament adopting the Bill of Rights or, if that’s your thing, mourn the 478th anniversary of the demise of Catherine Howard. I’m celebrating having koffy.
Interesting how the body sets you up for the day early doors...obv worked it's way through yesterday foods, and then needed to give you that boost regardless..

Funny for the Hippo tale

and GOOD to know the Ferns fact..maybe YOU should be our Daryl, come the ZA..
Good survival skills ( survived up their at castle Black long enough.;)...) and rides a bike..mmhh

Looks like we might have got another position sorted, @PenguinMum ..whatya think..?

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You did well.
gennepher most people could do further education if they wanted to...you don't have to be brilliantly clever as long as someone can read & write reasonably well a degree is not that difficult...some would have us believe it is it's one way of keeping many of the population down/in their place...it has to be personal choice my mother (single mother) managed to feed & clothe five of us without the benefits of a real education...she didn't have the opportunity...I did so took it.

Reactions: SaskiaKC and dunelm

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Obviously I was upset at the time. I can still remember sobbing my heart out, and the feeling of that. But nothing ever cowed me into submission.

..and that children was the beginning of how a little defenceless girl took on the world and became as we know her today
@gennepher ..or as some say with much affection, The superhero called CoB

( "Cantakerous Ol Biddy";)..calling out injustice wherever she finds it..all while painting great pictures)

starting to think your NOT Clint eastwood anymore, now...:sorry:

Searching for pics of you and chuck Norris together, as we speak.....not finding ANY.:wideyed:......mmhh

Much respect @gennepher ..that sounds tough AND harsh.
puts so much others in the world (me included ) moan about in the shade

The epitome of a DO-ER...
Long may it last.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know @jjraak a McMuffin!!!
That was brilliant!

Both that and the cappuccino were heaven. Bliss....

I don't usually ever feel hungry. It is an unknown feeling for me.

Indeed..Love the honesty :D

agree on the not feeling hungry..IF you mean like pre DX

now it's more of my body complaining by being sickly that it's time to eat.

usually i may not feel like it, but think i should eat. to prevent that feeling later and to power me up if off out.

other times it's a delight to look forward to my steak etc..which i suppose is appetite rather then hunger..

Which previously would have been my stomach hinting it can't wait until i get home,
But to "BUY something NOW..and eating it FAST... *** " before it was happy..:banghead:

One of the many benefits to my change in diet, i think.